One song and your system...

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,188
edited April 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
If you were to have one song....only one song to show off the capabilities of your system, what would that song be?

I'm not looking for reference songs or perhaps your favorite song. Nothing that brings you back to the time when you were a teenager all smitten on the hot brunette that just so happened to be your age at the time that just moved in down the street. I'm not interested in your top shelf, "go to" recordings or something you own that is so rare and unobtainable that you feel it worthy to add to the thread and I'm not looking for a song that has been beaten to absolute death at audio shows worldwide.

I'm looking for that one song that if you had a chance to win 10 Million Dollars to provide the best your rig could do to show its performance capabilities, what would that one song be?

Then, if you care to elaborate on it, why? What about that song makes your rig shine or made you choose that song out of everything else out there?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited March 2013
    Artist-Steely Dan
    Album-Aja
    Song-Black Cow

If you have a copy of Aja, Tell me how good that first track sounds on your System. I can only imagine it sounds fantastic. If you don't Have Aja get it. I think it's a must have in every music collection.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • treitz3
    edited March 2013
    I have 4 or 5 copies/versions/formats of that album. Unfortunately, I have no speakers. Well, "technically" I do but right now they are gutted for the x-over upgrade/mods we are doing. If you don't mind me asking, what about that particular song makes your rig really shine?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2013
    She talks to angels-The Black Crows
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    edited March 2013
    First of all very difficult question to pick 1 song, would be easier 1 song per genre...

I recently purchased a new set of monitor speakers for my office rig and the song that stands out for me is Blind Melon -Mouthful of Cavities..
    [video=youtube_share;6b5dFLeB-qI]http://youtu.be/6b5dFLeB-qI[/video]
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited March 2013
    MTV Live version of "Rooster" by Alice-N-Chains! Breathtaking:cool:
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited March 2013
    The Cranberries Live on MTV performing Zombie, Unplugged and with Violins used on the Heavy Electric Guitar parts..
    I'll see if I can locate the video on the Tube..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,007
    edited March 2013
    Mercy Street -Al Di Meola

This song has a lot going on with many different tones and passages. Christmas bells , rich lush chords with beautiful finger picking beauty. It really sets the pace for the Christmas season and can show off a system like no other. I find myself using this song for my system as well as all others.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ddufty
    ddufty Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    bobsauto49 wrote: »
    Very good tune
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,566
    edited March 2013
    Donald Fagen-Kamakiriad
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited March 2013
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Artist-Steely Dan
    Album-Aja
    Song-Black Cow

If you have a copy of Aja, Tell me how good that first track sounds on your System. I can only imagine it sounds fantastic. If you don't Have Aja get it. I think it's a must have in every music collection.

Same here. Black Cow.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • gudnoyez
    edited March 2013
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Same here. Black Cow.

Awesome another Black Cow fan. You have good taste vcwatkins. treitz3 I guess the reason this song makes my system shine is, because the recording is fantastic, the wow factor starts right at the begining, the bass, keyboards, percusion, the horns Donalds Vocals, the interlude after the vocal break just takes me to places one heck of a ride. I have a lot of music, this one gets played the most, I cant wait to upgrade the SDA's, the effect is very prominent on this track.

BTW Donald Fagens, Kamakiriad is also an excellent choice.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2013
    Artist: "Youngblood Brass Band"
    Album: "Center: level: Roar"
    Song: "Brooklyn"

Why?
    Its a brass band. Try to play a brass band on normal speakers and you will be met with distortion, fatigued ears, and just noise.
    B&W speakers have awesome control and precision over highs and mids, bass is excellent too. I would think if your system can handle this song/band at a high volume then you got your moneys worth. The recording of the album is nuts. These guys went out of there way to make a quality recording.
    I would suggest downloading the song off itunes just to get a taste before buying the album on CD.

Speakers: CM9s
    Preamp and amp: Rotel stuff
    Interconnects: MIT AVT2
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • treitz3
    edited March 2013
    I have thought long and hard on this one and I came up with one song that definitely makes my rig shine in the most beautiful of ways. From John Williams, Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, "Olympic Fanfare". Had a audio buddy over the other week who normally does not ever listen to classical music and after about 4 hours of non-stop listening in the sweet spot, I asked him if was OK to play this particular track. He didn't say a thing throughout the entire performance and I glanced over at his arms and noticed that he looked like a plucked chicken, the goose bumps were so prominent. When it was over he said, and I quote, "Wow, normally I can't stand classical music but that experience made me want to go out and purchase lots of it". He had commented that it had sounded to him like the orchestra was coming out of nowhere in front of him and that there was no congestion of the instruments, even through the busy passages. In addition, he was stunned at how realistically well the chimes sounded while everything was going on and he was particularly impressed with the sound when the tympani was struck.

I didn't think something classical would be my "one song" but this particular one makes my rig sound priceless.

Tom
  • naturallight
    naturallight Posts: 689
    edited March 2013
    MMMM....I'm not sure you could pic just 1 song, which does come down to personal taste. Plus if you have SDA's... you might want to just pick a song that shows the SDA "effect" more. Or more to the point, what other speakers can NOT do...LOL

I have the Aja album, A great album indeed, but black cow for some reason does not jump out at me as the "best" to show off SDA's. But i will for sure go back down and listen again to it..LOL

What does come to mind is Electric Ladyland..now what song is another problem. There are a few songs on there that other speakers just can not match, just do to the SDA "effect" But 1 song Does not seem fair, maybe 1 song per type of music or 1 over all "best" album....
  • gudnoyez
    edited March 2013
    Oh you dont need SDA's to enjoy Black Cow or the album Aja for that matter, I think they sound great on AR58's or AR18's those have been pushing the sweet sounds of Aja for over 31 years, not to mention I'am listening to it at this very moment on the Ht rig sounds pretty sweet on the RTI'A5's and A3's. I think that particular tune and album sound good on just about every system I have heard it on.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• treitz3
    edited March 2013
    Thanks, RamZet. I went ahead and ordered the one album you referenced. Looking forward to checking it out.

Tom
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited March 2013
    "December Skies" by Cowboy Junkies on Early 21st Century Blues

This whole cd is recording exceptionally well. One of the most open with a huge sound stage songs in my collection. The kick drums are palpable and sound very real. The cymbals have this nice shimmer/sparkle. The electric bass has this incredible drive and sounds deep.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    edited March 2013
    Grandma got run over by a Reindeer........you can hear and feel the skid marks.:wink:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited March 2013
    If I were forced to pick one song, it would be "Bird" by Dead Can Dance, on the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs SACD remaster of Into The Labyrinth.

R-1420554-1218569567.jpeg
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2013
    Aja is a great album for sure, but I think "Two Against Nature" is recorded better. Try the tracks "Gaslighting Abbie" and "Almost Gothic". That album is just more dynamic and cleaner to my ears. Both albums won Grammys for best engineered album of the year, so I guess you can't go wrong!:biggrin:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • gudnoyez
    edited March 2013
    Love Two Against Nature, the band that me and the wife see eye to eye on is the Dan, her favorite is Royal Scam. I remember we both we got 2 Against Nature the day it came out after about the 3rd play our daughter came home to find me and the wife dancing around the living room and singing to Gas lighting Abbie:redface: she thought we were crazy!
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• Mtnpolk
    Mtnpolk Posts: 18
    edited March 2013
    I can go with Steely Dan, but my track would be Gaucho. the sax sections really make my RTiA7`s shine!

The other choice would be Dire Straits, Wild West end on Live at the BBC.
  • vinyladdict
    vinyladdict Posts: 32
    edited March 2013
    Head East - Never Been Any Reason . The drums , guitar and moog work are incredible . Sounds great cranked on my Monitor 75T's !!! :cheesygrin:
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    edited March 2013
    Dark Side of the Moon side 1. Isnt that one long song? LOL :twisted:
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    edited March 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    Grandma got run over by a Reindeer........you can hear and feel the skid marks.:wink:

Now that's funny!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited March 2013
    only one, eh? I think it would be Jennifer Warnes' Way Down Deep from her album The Hunter.

I have lots of "second choices", though...
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited March 2013
    bobsauto49 wrote: »

Agree
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited March 2013
    Then I Close My Eyes - On An Island - David Gilmour. Waves washing in to shore, Gilmour on banjo, lap and his black Strat guitar. Light on the kick drum in the back ground, and just the touch of a cymbal, with the coronet wafting near the end. Every instrument is just caressed, nothing is played harshly or forceful. I think what makes this song so special on a system is what you don't hear........if that makes any sense.
  • bthogan
    bthogan Posts: 151
    edited March 2013
    I am particularly struck by how good the piano sounds on Steely Dan's "Sign In Stranger", following the addition of the Adcom GFP-750. Their recordings always excel, of course, but that piano...First time I noticed, it was the sort of thing where you're doing something else, not necessarily paying attention, and all of a sudden you're struck, like Whoa...
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    edited March 2013
    Easy

Diana Krall
    Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.