Reference tracks

13»

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,580
    We saw 'em in Boston someplace (maybe the Wang, but I don't think so...) years ago & enjoyed it a lot.
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,416
    edited September 21
    Blue Man Group - "Piano smasher" will make your speaks sound 10 feet deep. It amazes me when these little 5.25" drivers reproduce that depth and scale of bass.
    Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; Belden 1694A Dig Coax | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,519
    OH YEA... :D B)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,735
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I don't know if I have caught my stride just yet with specific reference tracks. Are there some that I listen to more than often...yes but it changes. How's It Going To Be by Third Eye Blind is pretty damn well recorded in my opinion.

Is that from the debut album? I never cared for it but one of the BEST drummers I played with in college loved the sound of the drum kit so much that he contacted the drummer and bought the exact same kit...I listened to it recently and it does have good sound quality!

Yup debut self titled album. The band as a whole...meh but I like these one hit wonders that take me back to simpler times...being young and all.

Man how old were you when that album came out? must've still been in diapers lol. You've clearly got a MUCH better memory than I do.

I was 5 based on when I read the album came out. Not saying that I remember when the album dropped XD. More of I remember listening to it in the car with my Mom and sisters. Probably around 7 or 8 years old if I remember the time correctly.

Memory isn't too great but music brings some things back like a vivid picture.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,208
    edited September 21
    The Art of Noise Moments in love.
    Now that cut takes me back to college days, my college sweetheart, dimly lit room with that cut, or soft jazz like the Dave Sanborn "Double Vision" album playing in the background, my first CD player, etc. I Love it!

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • ukcolin99ukcolin99 Posts: 280
    I’m also waiting for Skip’s 2 channel audio insights. Meanwhile regular viewers suspect I know little about audio subtleties & appreciation. (They are correct)
    I bought one system & stuck with it, I have a few go to songs.

Many of you are streaming, you may like one of these.
    Dark Star by Polica, album Give You The Ghost.
    Legendary by Welshly Arms
    Higher by Edenbridge, Solitaire
    The Good Stuff, Schuyler Fisk, The Good Stuff
    Dreams Like Oceans, Meg & Dia, It’s Always Stormy In Tilamook
    Where The Lillies Die, IO Echo, Ministry of Love
    Or not..
    2C: Parasound A21, Cambridge 851N, Polk LSiM705's, 2009 MacPro running iTunes & Spotify.
  • spongersponger Posts: 260
    edited September 23
    I really enjoyed some of these suggestions that sounded to me notably realistic despite being compressed for streaming services. I can't say that I would listen to them for leisure, instead more for analytical purposes. So in my case it would be self-defeating to use them as reference tracks since I think familiarity can't be overstated when assessing output quality. It humbles me to say my reference tracks are the typical pop rock and probably overdubbed casualties of the loudness wars. However--and unfortunately for audiophiles--I guess that defines a practical business model for even the hi-fi speaker / hardware manufacturers. The other day I strolled into Magnolia to audition B&Ws that were on sale and low-and-behold the house sample tracks consisted of Jack White and Dave Matthews among other comparatively unremarkable tracks for critical listening. The McIntosh / Martin Logan set-up in the next room was playing the Eagles. So, that said, I feel more comfortable adding Radiohead's Jigsaw to this list. The acoustic guitar can easily be too clicky and scratchy if something is amiss. The drums should sound subdued like a classic jazz track. Electric and acoustic guitars complement each other throughout, and the more differentiation the better IMO.
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    S15
    Sony 790S
    Denon DP 300f
  • sponger wrote: »
    I really enjoyed some of these suggestions that sounded to me notably realistic despite being compressed for streaming services. I can't say that I would listen to them for leisure, instead more for analytical purposes. So in my case it would be self-defeating to use them as reference tracks since I think familiarity can't be overstated when assessing output quality. It humbles me to say my reference tracks are the typical pop rock and probably overdubbed casualties of the loudness wars. However--and unfortunately for audiophiles--I guess that defines a practical business model for even the hi-fi speaker / hardware manufacturers. The other day I strolled into Magnolia to audition B&Ws that were on sale and low-and-behold the house sample tracks consisted of Jack White and Dave Matthews among other comparatively unremarkable tracks for critical listening. The McIntosh / Martin Logan set-up in the next room was playing the Eagles. So, that said, I feel more comfortable adding Radiohead's Jigsaw to this list. The acoustic guitar can easily be too clicky and scratchy if something is amiss. The drums should sound subdued like a classic jazz track. Electric and acoustic guitars complement each other throughout, and the more differentiation the better IMO.

I agree and that’s what this thread was started for. My moving target is my downfall. I still have old favs like Peter Gabriel and Floyd that I’ve listened to thousands of times and are very familiar with all the sounds, but I don’t want to miss anything out of principle so I changed it up with that Angus Stone song. Which btw is more and more becoming one of those “further down the rabbit hole” tracks. Seems very simple at the offset but has such subtle recording nuances it’s ridiculous.
    It’s funny how we all have our favs but then someone gives us new ref tracks and we try them, sometimes abandoning ones we could write in our sleep. But that’s the beauty of music.

So did you buy them?
  • Roundabout from the Yes Fragile album. I’m showing my age.
13»