The most dynamic, well recorded music you have heard to date....

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,188
edited November 2012 in 2 Channel Audio
We all have reference recordings. We all have our favorite genre's of music. We all have out favorite albums. What would you say is your "must have" recording that has a stellar dynamic range that shows what it is that your rig can really do?

I recently came across one that I'd like to share. Strange, to say the least but since the first time I heard it all of the way through? I yearn to hear it again. Here's my contribution...

Hugh Masekela, "Stimela" 10 minutes and 5 seconds long.

What say you?
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited June 2011
    This is one of those albums that I'm not exactly in love with, but my goodness is it an amazing recording.

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue
  • victor. askew
    victor. askew Posts: 50
    edited June 2011
    Pink Floyd- Animals, for me it dosent get any better than this. David Gilmore's playing from beginning to end has to be heard to be belived. Just great sounding.
    Amps- Nakamichi PA 7 & PA 5.
    P Amp- Classie Audio. Nakamichi CA 5
    Tape- Tandberg 3014A.
    Tape- Nakamichi 600.
    CD Calif Audio Tercet 3.
    CD-Rotel 1078.
    Spkrs- Polk Audio RTI 150 Towers.
    Spkrs- ADS L1290 Towers.
    Spkrs- Yamaha- NS 670,NS 500m,NS 200m, NS 200ma
    NS 200ma hybrids.
  • fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited June 2011
    one night in bankok-murray head (LP extended version)... And the remake.(CD)
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2011
    Pink Floyd- Animals, for me it dosent get any better than this. David Gilmore's playing from beginning to end has to be heard to be belived. Just great sounding.

Surely you must mean the vinyl because I think the sq on cd is awful. So hoping the remaster sounds better when it comes out.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2011
    I love the dynamics in Riders on the Storm, but don't know that it's a reference track. Hmmmm....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • IRLRaceFan
    IRLRaceFan Posts: 172
    edited June 2011
    I'm mostly into Rock music, but I'd have to say Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture.
    Aside from that, just about any Pink Floyd or Alan Parsons.
    HT
    Onkyo TX-NR1008 | Magnepan 1.7 | Polk LSiC | Polk VM20 | Polk DSW microPro 2000 | Parasound HCA-2205A | Oppo BDP-93

2-Ch
    Cary SLP 30 Tube Preamp | Polk LSi7 | Carver M1.5t | Audio-gd Digital Interface | W4S DAC-2 | MAC Mini | Denon DP300f & Pro-Ject Debut III TT's
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2011
    Flim & the BB's - Tricycle

However, the digital recording of the 1812 overture is the KING of dynamic range....
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2011
    Anything by Lady Gaga.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Obsession18
    Obsession18 Posts: 191
    edited June 2011
    Any Steely Dan CD, I have read that they were very particular about the fidelity of their recordings.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2011
    You guys just can't say something like "Anything by so and so". There are plenty of Pink Floyd records that aren't that great, and Lady GAGA, you've got to be kidding me. She has some stuff that's recorded well, and some songs where even the song itself doesn't lend to great dynamics much less the recording.
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2011
    Had a long post, then IE ate it. I've got a bunch. But there is no one single track. I use different tracks for different things.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    edited June 2011
    Steely Dan Aja SACD-SHM .....
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,824
    edited June 2011
    nspindel wrote: »
    Surely you must mean the vinyl because I think the sq on cd is awful. So hoping the remaster sounds better when it comes out.

Before I was into music or anything, I remember my step-mom had a turntable in the basement with a bunch of albums, and Pink Floyd's "Animals" was one of them. That whole record just captivated me. And I wasn't a druggie either. ;)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited June 2011
    Live Recordings at Red Rose Music. A pure DSD recording by Mark Levinson. Recorded live right in his NYC store.

The realism and the dynamics are just stunning! I found a copy from a stereo shop in Australia.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited June 2011
    Ani DiFranco - Living In Clip (live recording)

Ani DiFranco - Live @ Babeville DVD in 2.0 Stereo

51hlaNUCQhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ani DiFranco is one of the greatest acoustic guitarists alive, one of the most important folk artists since Bob Dylan, and one of the best live acts since the Grateful Dead. Live at Babeville proves all three beyond a reasonable doubt.

On September 11 and 12, 2007, singer/songwriter/guitarist Ani DiFranco played two sold-out shows before a hometown audience in Buffalo, New York. What made those nights so special wasn't just the music--because that's always special at an Ani show--but the fact that she was playing the inaugural shows in her very own venue, a downtown church once slated for demolition that has been beautifully restored as a state-of-the-art music hall and newly renamed "Babeville." Ani took the opportunity to fashion a two-night retrospective of sorts, performing songs from every stage of her fabled career in breathtaking new arrangements with her latest touring band; Allison Miller on drums, Todd Sickafoose on upright bass and Mike Dillon on vibes and percussion. The spirit of celebration was in the air, and energy in the room--both onstage and in the audience--was extraordinary.

Erin McKeown - Sing You Sinners

51gsksH5DGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Plenty of contemporary artists have addressed the classic American songbook, but few have romped through it with more playful verve than Erin McKeown. Fans of Norah Jones will find a kindred spirit here, though McKeown's singing is sunnier and her instrumentation more syncopated. (Or, since music like this has become increasingly associated with upscale coffee shops, more caffeinated.) From the giddy rendition of "Get Happy" that opens the album through the calypso spin given "Paper Moon" and the ruminative recasting of "Just One of Those Things," guitarist McKeown and band seem more interested in breathing fresh life into great songs than embalming them with nostalgic respect.

Patty Larkin - Regrooving The Dream

31YS9QSKMYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If a musician could be described in baseball terms, Patty Larkin would be the ultimate utility player. She can do a little bit of everything--she's a poetic songwriter, a passionate vocalist, a knockout guitar player, a savvy entertainer, and a creator of music she plays herself on a multitude of instruments: guitars, lap steel, mandolin, accordion, and keyboards. The Boston native draws on a world of sounds--R&B, blues, Celtic, jazz, rock, even samba--for an inventive and innovative songbook that creeps into the contemporary fabric of America. Larkin has always balanced roots steeped in folk music with a modern pop edge, while never allowing her witty, thoughtful lyrics to take a backseat. On Regrooving the Dream, those lyrics ride shotgun.

Good stuff, well worth seeking out

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited June 2011
    I have several (probably a dozen or so) Instant Live recordings of Jewel. Clear Channel had this novel idea to record certain performers and then make the recordings available to the attendee's of the show.

Jewel was one of the first major acts to sign on. The recordings are made and then distributed w/o a whole lot of messing with. What you get is a real feeling of being there, and the dynamics are incredible because there is very little mastering done to the raw recordings. These live discs have a completely different sound than a commercially done, slickly produced discs you'd normally get from a major lable record company.

On SDA's it puts you right in the audience. The dynamics can be pretty intense at times.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2011
    Best recordings: Later Steely Dan (2 against Nature/Everything must go); any Donald Fagen
    Most dynamic range: George Michael "Faith"
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited June 2011
    You guys are right, all through their career,Steely Dan consistantly produced recordings that were reference quality. And yes, the later years recordings done on their own were excellent too.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited June 2011
    Genesis Abacab on Vinyl the drums and keyboard really shine on this album.

Rush 2112 Good for dynamic moments and dynamic speed tests.

Steely Dan Aja on Vinyl or CD. Vinyl is better. Lots of ebb and flow.

George Michael Faith very dynamic album.

Stevie Ray Vaughn The Sky is Crying CD. Very dynamic. Listen for subtle things like the amplifier buzz in The Wind Cries Mary. On a nice tube setup with super efficient speakers it sounds like Stevie is in the room.

Pink Floyd Momentary Lapse of Reason CD. Title song goes the whole gambit.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2011
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    You guys are right, all through their career,Steely Dan consistantly produced recordings that were reference quality. And yes, the later years recordings done on their own were excellent too.

Some of their earlier stuff is a little "veiled", but still above average recordings.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • heiney9
    edited June 2011
    I have yet to hear a well recorded Rush album and I have the originals and remasters. For as technically brilliant all their music is, the recordings are pretty flat and lifeless. Even the live stuff is flat and lifeless.

Best Rush recording I own is a bootleg from the early days at the Agora Ballroom. This recording was made for a live radio broadcast in 1974.

H9

H9
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited June 2011
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I have yet to hear a well recorded Rush album and I have the originals and remasters. For as technically brilliant all their music is, the recordings are pretty flat and lifeless. Even the live stuff is flat and lifeless.

Best Rush recording I own is a bootleg from the early days at the Agora Ballroom. This recording was made for a live radio broadcast in 1974.

H9

H9

It could be a case of I know the album so well that I use it as a reference just cause I know what I am listening for. Worst Dynamic Rush album? Presto.
  • fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited June 2011
    While it's not the most well recorded overall, it is the best barometer for dynamics I have ever come across. When equipment has great dynamic impact - this album literally has startling dynamics. There are 3 or 4 songs on here that when they start up, will make me jump (even though I've heard it a million times). When equipment is lacking in dynamic impact, it is extremely noticeable - it completely lacks the punch and slam. There's no startle, no jump, more of a booom instead of a BAM.

When testing for speed and pace within dynamics (toe-tapping level), I love song #3 (Give Me the Meltdown). When equipment is up to the task, this song is fast-paced, quick and extremely involving. But, when it doesn't get it right, the song literally sounds slowed down (sounds like LP's where you slow the speed down), it is lifeless, boring and completely un-involving. It's extremely noticeable one way or the other.

Rob Thomas - Mockingbird
    ..... ><////(*>
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited June 2011
    Chesky Recordings
  • inson71
    inson71 Posts: 90
    edited June 2011
    A couple of my favorite reference CDs are Harry Connick Jr's She and Dada's Puzzle. As for Rush, I think Moving Pictures sounds pretty good.
    Onkyo Pr-sc 5509
    Parasound 2250/Parasound 5125
    SVS PB 12 Plus
    Denon DBP-2012 Bluray
    Polk RTI 8, CSI 3, 4 FXI 3
    Sony 55" LCD
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2011
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Anything by Lady Gaga.

Not quite true. The Fame, and The Fame Monster have some very well recorded songs. The remix CDs, except for Poker Face, are also well recorded. Her latest CD, Born This Way, sucks. I was very disappointed in the sound quality of that CD. There simply is no dynamic range. While it does have some good songs, the sound quality makes it hard to listen to.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited June 2011
    +1 Steve the early SD stuff wasn't quite as well recorded as AJA and later.:) AJA was great!
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2011
    Yep, Aja is very well done. If you haven't heard "2 against nature" check it out---very, very good recording.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2011
    Eagles..Hell Freezes Over..track 10..new york minute...but luv the rest of them on it too.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2011
    David Benoit's "Every step of the way" is very good, but just a touch too much treble tilt--otherwise an outstanding recording. I love running "ReBach" at concert levels, it gives me a stiffy. The deep rumbling bass and percussion transients are some of the best I've heard.