The search for my next car begins...

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,177
    Options

You know how much I care about what they drive across the pond.

Unless you’re trying to be a 95 year old Florida retiree, forget the Caddy.

Fixed...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,921
    Options
    I like that the Lexas has a CD player.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,628
    Options
    Anything made by Dodge or Cadillac should not cost more than $25,000

I don’t care how much power they throw under the hood, the build quality is on par with a $25,000 car.

And honestly, I don’t really think that statement is all that fair to other cars in the $25,000 bracket...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    A basic Mazda 3 costs $25K, and will easily be trouble free for at least 10 years. My 2005 is still going strong with no issues.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Anything made by Dodge or Cadillac should not cost more than $25,000

I don’t care how much power they throw under the hood, the build quality is on par with a $25,000 car.

And honestly, I don’t really think that statement is all that fair to other cars in the $25,000 bracket...

What a load of BS.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options

You know how much I care about what they drive across the pond.

Unless you’re trying to be a 95 year old Florida retiree, forget the Caddy.

Fixed...

Ha. Not even close.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,527
    edited June 2019
    Options
    No the LS is a luxury item, that’s about it. Has no balls by today’s standards. Pretty though.

CTS-V is a badass is an luxurious, refined sort of way.

Crazy how 416hp is blasé.

For me, I drive a minivan. A 4.6s 0-60 5000lb car is a humongous upgrade.

If I really wanted something extremely fast and speed was my only concern, I can just buy a Tesla P100D with Ludicrous Mode. 0-60 2.4s. Done.

Or put the deposit for a Tesla Roadster. 0-60 1.9s and 0-100 in 4.8. 1/4 mile in 8.8.

Nothing touches it short of the hybrid Ferraris and Bugatti Chiron.

But for me, I think an LS is a good compromise of speed and comfort. I had the kids in the back and they were happy clams! I can’t believe I’m saying that the LS is a compromise, it’s a great car and something I didn’t think I would be able to afford back in the day. I smile thinking about that car.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Yeah I get it, and you’re right generally performance compromises comfort. It’s a good choice for a daily driver, traveling, and for date nights. Enjoy 😊
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    Think you'll go with the F-Sport?
  • charley95
    Options
    Don't know if your willing to travel to get one?! I searched nationwide when I bought my GS. I found that the high volume dealers offer better pricing than the smaller dealers.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,628
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

What a load of BS.

Sorry you don't agree, but I have yet to be in one with an interior that matches the price. Cheap interiors loaded in plastic, poor quality leather, clunky electronics and poor displays.

Most of them had odd sounds, vibrations, clunks or rattles within MONTHS of driving off the lot. Lots of suspension problems, wheel bearings and RUST.

They simply don't compete in the prices ranges they want to be in.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    Think you'll go with the F-Sport?

I believe so

Would love white or caviar and I’ll see if I can add some vossen rims
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

What a load of BS.

Sorry you don't agree, but I have yet to be in one with an interior that matches the price. Cheap interiors loaded in plastic, poor quality leather, clunky electronics and poor displays.

Most of them had odd sounds, vibrations, clunks or rattles within MONTHS of driving off the lot. Lots of suspension problems, wheel bearings and RUST.

They simply don't compete in the prices ranges they want to be in.

Savagegeese on YouTube reviewed the hellcat and the demon. He lifted the cars to look at the underside in addition to under the hood and looking at the interior.

It’s quite obvious they are built for one thing, straight line speed. There are compromises to reach the desired price point.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

Savagegeese on YouTube reviewed the hellcat and the demon. He lifted the cars to look at the underside in addition to under the hood and looking at the interior.

It’s quite obvious they are built for one thing, straight line speed. There are compromises to reach the desired price point.

I just saw Jay Leno’s garage and the episode on the new Challenger Hellcat Redline. Jay said he’s owned a Challenger since they first came out and he’s upgraded as they’ve progressed. He also said he thinks that it’s a great road car and that he really enjoys driving it.

I know you aren’t really interested in the Challenger Joey. Just saying that they’re not a straight line car only. There are many trim levels. You could go with the base model hemi and still have a very potent engine. I believe all trim lines offer the standard or wide body now as a an option. I grew up on American muscle cars. So, it’s not something I’d dismiss without a test drive. Same for the Mustang and the Camaro.

However, I think the Lexus is a very nice vehicle and one could do a lot worse. I wouldn’t rule it out just because it isn't a “muscle” car. I think the Tesla is the best choice if speed is what you want (The electric motors are wicked fast). Ultimately, it’s up to you and, as you’ve stated, you have some time to think about it. :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Watching a Tesla on a road course shows it's no sports car.

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options

I guess that the term "sports car" is open to interpretation. Darn thing goes from 0-60 in 2.4 seconds. Thats PDQ in my opinion. Many "sports cars" can't beat it in a straight line.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,923
    Options
    True, but I true sports car also handles well. Also there are plenty of sports cars that aren't that quick in a straight line.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,664
    edited June 2019
    Options
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Great... a good looking Alfa made with the reliability of Dodge Dart.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Options
  • F1nut
    Options
    halo wrote: »

I guess that the term "sports car" is open to interpretation. Darn thing goes from 0-60 in 2.4 seconds. Thats PDQ in my opinion. Many "sports cars" can't beat it in a straight line.

Sports car means it handles the road well not simply going fast in a straight line.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Source?

FCA (Fiat/Chrysler) owns Alfa, and much of the electronic architecture and engine tech is shared by the two companies. Maserati also fits their cars with Chrysler electronics.. all junk IMHO.

• Clipdat
    Options
    Better spring for the Quadrifoglio model then with the 505hp Italian-built, Ferrari-derived engine. :)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,097
    Options
    Pick a car so this thread can end!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Pick a car so this thread can end!

Or if you don't like the thread.... don't post in it.

• charley95
    Options
    I'm buying a Dodge Johnson or a Yugo Scr**Yourself! :D:D
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,097
    Options
    I like the thread but a decision would be nice
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I like the thread but a decision would be nice

I believe LS500 is best compromise of speed and luxury and family usefulness.

Cheaper than an AMG and still looks good though not as good as the LC500.

Will buy certified preowned likely within a year, hoping to pay 50s.

The only catch on the 2018 is that it doesn’t have Apple carplay that the 2019 has but there’s a download you can do, so it will be necessary that the dealer install Carplay on the 2018 if I buy one.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Apple Carplay.....seriously!?!

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Apple Carplay.....seriously!?!

Would you rather he spin those stone tablets played by a parrot’s beak?