Best speaker wire

I have a set of SDA 1c's which I bought new in 1987. Did a rebuild on them in 2010. They are driven by my Hafler DH220 power amp which puts out 115 watts per channel. Everything sounds very nice. My question is, they have been hooked up with Monster Cables all of these years, should these cables be up graded? Any great DIY ideas out there that you would recomend? Is there any reason why I should, or should not change them? Thanks! Gary
Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
Hafler Digital FM Tuner
Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Yes, you should change them. Lots of better choices out there.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    gdphoto wrote: »
    I have a set of SDA 1c's which I bought new in 1987. Did a rebuild on them in 2010. They are driven by my Hafler DH220 power amp which puts out 115 watts per channel. Everything sounds very nice. My question is, they have been hooked up with Monster Cables all of these years, should these cables be up graded? Any great DIY ideas out there that you would recomend? Is there any reason why I should, or should not change them? Thanks! Gary

If you know anyone from whom you can borrow different brands of speaker cables that would be ideal. In that situation, you can try before you buy, so to speak. Cables lend a degree of synergy to a system as a whole and cables that sound good to you are not always going to be what sounds good to someone else. Let your ears be the judge. Also, what is your budget and how many feet do you need? Do you prefer banana connectors or spades?

Douglas Connections offers discounts to Polk Forum members, as does Signal Cable. Just be sure to mention that you are a member of the forum when you place your order.

Audioquest cables are available from Audio Advisor at deep discounts:

Type 4, Type 8, Rocket 33, Rocket 88.

I don't own SDA speakers but those on the forum that do have reported excellent results with MIT speaker cables. Best prices are from Joe Abrams on Audiogon as he is an authorized retailer.

You can always look to Audiogon, your local Craigslist, eBay, HiFi Shark, or USAudioMart for good deals on used cables as well.

Hope that helps and good luck :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    gdphoto wrote: »

MIT
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    Monster is terrible cable.

On a budget check out Douglas Connections as Halo pointed out.

To wake up the system and have it sound correct. MIT cables from Joe Abrams.

Cables matter.....everything matters.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    One of my favorites that I replaced MIT shotguns with was the DH Labs Q10. Fantastic wire

Currently sporting the supra Quadrax, which I am fond of. I would do Q10, but just don't want to plunk down 30 bucks a foot
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I used to run DH T14 with my Totems and it’s was very detailed.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    VR3 wrote: »
    One of my favorites that I replaced MIT shotguns with was the DH Labs Q10. Fantastic wire

Currently sporting the supra Quadrax, which I am fond of. I would do Q10, but just don't want to plunk down 30 bucks a foot
    Only $22.50 here! https://www.ebay.com/itm/DH-Labs-Silver-Sonic-Q-10-Signature-Speaker-Cable-sold-by-the-Foot-DIY/360331643024
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    or here.
    https://www.moon-audio.com/dh-labs-q-10-bulk-speaker-cable.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_6UiJqg3wIVjLbACh3FZg5lEAQYBCABEgLnSfD_BwE&ad=303026047368

Actually thanks Trey looking into this stuff I seen their site and the hook up wire I'll think about for my 2.3TL's when I re-wire them. OCC and silver coated..woohoo
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    edited December 2018
    T14 is nice but has absolutely nothing on the Q10.

Q10 is some of the best wire on the market, imo

Side note, the air matrix interconnects are also incredible
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Actually thanks Trey looking into this stuff I seen their site and the hook up wire I'll think about for my 2.3TL's when I re-wire them. OCC and silver coated..woohoo
    If you're talking about re-wiring the internals, you might check-out this eBay seller's stuff: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=37221-2575&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=navships&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1 He's got all manner of silver-coated wire...looks to be military and NASA surplus.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    'Best' is, most likely, out of the poster's price range. However, a really good inexpensive cable is the Shunyata Venom speaker cables. I have them in my Home Theater/spare stereo, and they sound great.

https://shunyata.com/products/speaker-cables/venom-sp/

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2018
    jdjohn wrote: »
    If you're talking about re-wiring the internals, you might check-out this eBay seller's stuff: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=37221-2575&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=navships&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1 He's got all manner of silver-coated wire...looks to be military and NASA surplus.

I've used this guy a bunch for other projects, good wire but not always the gauge he states in his ad's. My last purchase was listed as 16ga. yet it was only 16ga with the PTFE insulation. Without the insulation it was much closer to 20ga. I also found out where he actually purchases wire from.

DSkip wrote: »
    or here.
    https://www.moon-audio.com/dh-labs-q-10-bulk-speaker-cable.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_6UiJqg3wIVjLbACh3FZg5lEAQYBCABEgLnSfD_BwE&ad=303026047368

I’d strongly suggest the Wireworld Helicon OCC if you are talking about internal wiring.

Yes I am talking internal. we've talked yet unless the price has decreased the above DQ I'm looking at is OCC and silver coated 14ga. also no need to buy special strippers that I may never use again. No disrespect intended Skip I have not made a final decision but this does look pretty good. My final wire installation will be hard wired and from what I have heard from others WW insulation is very heat sensitive so crimping and soldering quick connects may affect insulation more than I'd like.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    An interesting question and post.
    We have used Monster Cable on a few speakers over the years (the thick clear one from maybe the early 90's...) but never found their sound to be audibly compromised in any way that was immediately heard.

We have also used, generic cable, Belden and Blue Jeans, monoprice, and a few other names that escape me.
    But at the same time, never used thin cable nor anything more than 10 foot long.

What traits did the monster cable display, good or bad?
  • pitdogg2
    In my experience Kelly most of the clear jacket stuff monster or not several years on you get green sticky corrosion from the jacket onto/into the wire strands. Somehow the jacket and wire have an adverse reaction to each other. Myself I've had this not only happen at the ends but in the middle of a run. I've cut them open and the wire was incredible sticky green from corrosion completely through the copper.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Mine grew garish green grunge over the whole length from '94 to maybe '05. I had no idea that the sound had degraded until I switched out to ordinary but new 16g wire. Huge difference. Haven't gone anywhere close to Monster since.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,731
    My first experience with upgraded cables started with replacing the white Monster XP with AQ Crystal somewhere around 1999-2000. Made a believer out of me right away.
  • K_M
    In my experience Kelly most of the clear jacket stuff monster or not several years on you get green sticky corrosion from the jacket onto/into the wire strands. Somehow the jacket and wire have an adverse reaction to each other. Myself I've had this not only happen at the ends but in the middle of a run. I've cut them open and the wire was incredible sticky green from corrosion completely through the copper.

Okay interesting. After looking at ours, I see no evidence of any discoloration at all. I have seen what you describe though on some other wire ( no idea which at the moment) but know what you speak of.

I just checked ours out....but now thinking it may be a very late 80's Monster cable, not sure if that matters or we just had good luck somehow?
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2018
    making your own is always fun. Douglas connection is a good step up reach out and mention you're a member here and he'll treat you right.
    HCM audio I believe still sells bulk or terminated Audioquest and maybe some others.

https://hcmaudio.com/

I have used and like Canare 4s11 cable pretty nice for the dollars.

http://store.haveinc.com/default.aspx

I've dealt with them a bunch just search for Canare 4s11 it will come up with a bunch just look for raw/bulk one of them will be on the page

Frank at signal cable is another who used to give a small discount for Polk audio members he has nice cables as well.

Some pretty good options here on the page

reach out to Dskip as well he could set you up with some bulk wireworld stuff.

• K_M
    edited December 2018
    My last venture trying to strip wires....I am not the most coordinated doing this kinda stuff, but I try!

WARNING-BAD PICTURES AHEAD!
    Post edited by K_M on
  • pitdogg2
    K_M wrote: »
    My last venture trying to strip wires....I am not the most coordinated doing this kinda stuff, but I try!

next time try a radial arm saw geesh

OUCH! bet that hurt more 3 day later than it did the day of :*
  • K_M
    edited December 2018

It hurt for a week at least. I feel pain just seeing the pictures. I am literally shaking. But a good excuse to not manicure and paint my nails for a while!

Listening to my Diana Krall christmas album on the Rti6 now, but from another room. Also sipping rum and coke to relax!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

It hurt for a week at least. I feel pain just seeing the pictures. I am literally shaking. But a good excuse to not manicure and paint my nails for a while!

Dude you should've gave a warning - Do Not Open the Pics! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2018
    verb wrote: »

Dude you should've gave a warning - Do Not Open the Pics! :smile:

ummm nope Dudette
  • BlueFox

Not good at posting pictures either. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • K_M
    edited December 2018
    BlueFox wrote: »

Not good at posting pictures either. :)

Oh come on..really?
    I thought I did a great job........just have some rum and coke..you will be okay!

Seriously this is usually the time I drink and watch Live PD and yell at the the people they arrest!
  • pitdogg2
    hmmm maybe bud ;););)
  • BlueFox
    edited December 2018
    LOL. If needing a microscope to see it is a ‘great job’ then I would hate to see a poor job. :)

tfe3g5yx40zp.png

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    BlueFox wrote: »
    LOL. If needing a microscope to see it is a ‘great job’ then I would hate to see a poor job. :)

fo gods sake Bud just click on it I know you know how....