Best speaker wire

Comments

• RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Mark me up as another know-it-all electrical engineer who has been "schooled" on this forum about cables. Started off with basic Monster "speaker wire" from Best Buy, moved on to Belden 5000UE 12 gauge, then Belden 5000UP 10 gauge both self terminated.

Next tried some Canare 4S11 custom terminated from Blue Jeans, then was bitten by the AudioQuest bug and tried Type 4, Rocket 33 and Rocket 88's. Just switched to MIT AVt1's in an 8-foot bi-wire set. Now I've consumed the entire pitcher of F1nut's Kool Aid and I'm searching for a reasonable set of Shotgun S1.3's.

These were all used on one of my fully modded 1.2TL sets with both Carver TFM-55 and McIntosh MC 252 amps switched in and out. The Carver seems to sound better to me with the AVt1's so that combo is working full time for now in the listening room.

The 88's are on my HT rig and the others still in use on other SDA speakers in the house. The 33's on a 3.1TL set, the Type 4's on my son's rig and the Canare's on the second set of 1.2's in the pool room.

Playing around tonight with a Erse Super Q unwound down to 16mH in my 1.2 set by the pool table replacing a Jantzen air core and it's sounding pretty sweet with the Canare's!!
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• ^^Where in KY do you reside?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Born in Harlan, grew up in Corbin, school at UK in Lexington, then lived in Georgetown and Union up in NKY. Wife and I both work for same company 20+ years which moved their HQ to Plano, Texas last July so not much choice but to relocated with them. Currently living in Frisco, Texas.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,905
    Welcome to Texas. I live in the DFW area.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Lemme guess...Toyota?
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    My 2 pence; going back to 2011 when I brought my 1.2tl's home I also brought home a couple pair of MIT interconnects on that same day. The electronics that I was running at the time (Yamaha c4 pre and Carver tfm45) did not allow me hear a difference from the Mogami's I was using at the time so the Shotguns went away. Heck I couldn't even hear a difference switching between the different impedance settings on the shotguns. Fast forward a few years and all my electronics have been upgraded and I decided to try some MIT's once again. The difference now is undeniable and easily heard. Imo one needs very good electronics to reap the benefits of very good cabling.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    K_M wrote: »

That caused a lot of anxiety among members here, and when I said we would do it again, at our expense, on this forum, no one stepped up or even was interested.

I think the ball is in your court.

K_M that's a generous offer but keep in mind it would be rather difficult to listen to your system for the first time, then change the speaker cables, and see if I could detect a difference.

Now a better trial would be for me to test on my system, which I have 100's of hours on, and see what the results are. This has been done many times with a variety of cables and I can speak to the differing outcomes of each set of cables. I would not expect you to be able to tell much of a change, if any, unless many hours were spent getting acquainted to my system.

As has been said above, the benefit of better cables is recognized the higher you go up the chain of electronics. From my perspective that is the most accurate observation in this thread and on the topic in general.

Is it possible that your system has reached its max potential? I doubt it but would like to know your opinion.

Also, can we understand more details on components (manufacturer, models), room configuration (setup, treatments) and cables used (speaker, interconnects, HDMI...) throughout the your system during evaluation?

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    https://www.lifewire.com/speaker-cables-make-a-difference-3134902

This was an interesting quick read, that seems to go along with what some of you guys are saying.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    RobbyKY wrote: »
    These were all used on one of my fully modded 1.2TL sets with both Carver TFM-55 and McIntosh MC 252 amps switched in and out. The Carver seems to sound better to me with the AVt1's so that combo is working full time for now in the listening room.

This was my experience as well except I was running a sunfire sig II 625 X2. My Mcintosh MC402 and MIT did not play nice together at all but, on the Sunfire, it sounded wonderful.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648

This was an interesting quick read, that seems to go along with what some of you guys are saying.

I'm not interested in measurement differences provided by a "Clio 10 FW" and a "MIC-01". I use my ears.

You can dodge the subject but "the ball is in your court".
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • K_M wrote: »

That was great read, especially the upper end cables. With the very slight measurable differences I'm left to wonder if the extra $5000 wouldn't be better spent on the speakers or electronics.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937

Yep, interesting article. Seems to agree with what a lot of folks here are saying:

1. Different cables do produce different measurable and audible results
    2. Those audible results are subtle and likely best heard in a higher end system
    3. Many of us won’t ever notice the difference because we either don’t have a high enough system, don’t listen closely enough (or don’t know what to listen for) or just don’t have the ears to hear the difference...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Yep, interesting article. Seems to agree with what a lot of folks here are saying:

1. Different cables do produce different measurable and audible results
    2. Those audible results are subtle and likely best heard in a higher end system
    3. Many of us won’t ever notice the difference because we either don’t have a high enough system, don’t listen closely enough (or don’t know what to listen for) or just don’t have the ears to hear the difference...

Seems a very reasonable view.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    In my rig(s), some of the differences have been subtle, others rather shocking. Most of the various cables I've tried were in the former category with differences being quite subtle, including a lot of the big names. However, there have been some that were eye-opening and quite frankly undeniable. I don't care about anything except my own empirical findings, what it sounds like to me in my system. I remember the first time I tried PNF Audio cables, simply undeniable. Same thing with better MIT cables. I have yet to try Wireworld, I'm feeling pretty good with where I'm at for the moment, but will try them when the right deal comes by. I've never had multi-thousand dollar cables in my rig, not in the budget and I don't care. That's just the way it is. So be it.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    I like doing blind test on people.

When I got my AQ type 4, I hooked on of the warehouse speakers up. people said the left speaker sound different or better.

When I change wires or interconnects at home I only do one at a time. Once the kids say something then I know there is change. "Dad one speaker sounds better than the other" All the time it's been the one with the change.

Best one was when I pulled the brass jumpers installing speaker wire jumpers. That change jumped out at everyone.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • ^^I myself just junked the brass jumpers for ZU Audio IBIS jumpers, same result here.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited December 2018
    VR3 wrote: »
    One of my favorites that I replaced MIT shotguns with was the DH Labs Q10. Fantastic wire

Currently sporting the supra Quadrax, which I am fond of. I would do Q10, but just don't want to plunk down 30 bucks a foot

Hey, great rec Trey!

Picked up a used pair and am trying out on study rig (except RS 40-1354 full rangers iso Hartleys). The differences between these and the Shotgun 3's are incrementally very small, but the overall impression is a tad sweeter and more detailed.

A little less emphasis on bass - Daft Punk's Get Lucky doesn't have as much tactile, infectious kick; but this seems to allow slightly more detail elsewhere. LaFaro's solo in Debby take2 seemed eerily present in the room with much realism from finger/string contact. Brandi Carlile's voice in Terpentine seems somehow a tad more organic and smooth. A nudge in detail also. Evans' quiet chatter about what to play at the end of Gloria's Step take1 is a bit more decipherable than before. But with the bump in detail, there is no grainy edge or dryness (my expectation).

I really like these and they seem especially appropriate in this rig where acoustic music is predominant. I never expected to get sweetness from "silver" anything. Detail, yes; but this is lovely, smooth detail - not etched or dry at all. I hope to give them a try in the "musicality" rig (den), but right now I'm thinking they'll stay in the study a good while.

Thanks!
    Craig
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    Glad to hear you dig them, dh labs is the best ive heard, great stuff
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    I don't always enjoy my rig, poor recordings will do that to ya. More than once a cd hasn't made it past the 3rd song before it's pulled.

Now really good bourbon on the other hand....................
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    So what would be the best step up from my monster Z series for $250-300 with the gear I have in my sig?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    RobbyKY wrote: »
    Lemme guess...Toyota?

Bingo!

I'm in the rare transplant group from the Kentucky engineering & manufacturing side trying to blend in with 3,000 Californians. I play music loud, drink really good bourbon, own lots of guns and a Prius will fit inside my 10 mpg truck. Some days can be....challenging......

I like you already. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited December 2018
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So what would be the best step up from my monster Z series for $250-300 with the gear I have in my sig?

I can't see your sig, post it up.

Also, it's not just the gear, but the sound your looking for. The music type you listen to. Sometimes, and more often than not, better cables have a habit of exposing the weak link in your system.

You like a more laid back sound...more forward ? More dynamic....softer top end or brighter ? Punchy mid bass ? See what I'm getting at ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    tonyb wrote: »

I can't see your sig, post it up.

Home System: see
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    800 Va Dreadnought
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Brian.

Which system would you be looking to upgrade the cabling in ? Home system used for movies also I take it ?

...and, what if anyting, about the sound you have now don't you like or wish was better.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audioluvr
    tonyb wrote: »
    Which system would you be looking to upgrade the cabling in ? Home system used for movies also I take it ?

...and, what if anyting, about the sound you have now don't you like or wish was better.

Upgrading the home system (2 ch. audio only). Pretty happy with what I have now but thought I'd try dipping my toes in the speaker wire abyss. My old ears may have hit a brick wall on sonic improvements but speaker wire is probably the weak link in my system (I could be wrong though).

Skip, I may take you up on that offer but I'm not convinced yet on using bi- amp wire on a non-bi-amp system.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Skip, I may take you up on that offer but I'm not convinced yet on using bi- amp wire on a non-bi-amp system.

Bi-wiring is different than bi-amping.

They are just bi-wire cables, which means that as long as your speakers have separate binding posts for high and low, you can use them. Amplifier side connection remains the same as normal.
  • audioluvr
    I have the SDA 1C's. No bi-wire terminals
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    I have the SDA 1C's. No bi-wire terminals

Then those are not the cables you are looking for. :)