MagniFi Max SR - Surrounds Popping (despite software updates)

Comments

• aro007
    aro007 Posts: 7
    Hi guys. I bought this audio system 2 days ago and I have this same issues like you. I checked my software and I discovered that my soundbar has firmware number 79. How to update software to 103?
  • LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    Download Google Home app on smartphone. Then:5eru9m0fokgd.png
  • LeeSoFL
    If you connect soundbar to router by wire, it will update without needing the (very twitchy) Google Home app.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Lee, I'd like to mention that you have been very helpful and patient, not sure I would have and have been here at CP for years.

Just wanted to say thanks
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • aro007
    edited August 2018
    I connected my soundbar to router by wire but after 24 h still nothing :/ my firmware number is 79. I was so desperate and I installed Google Home app. on my Iphone and I switched on automatic update but still nothing :/Maybe i need to waiting little longer?
    Is it true that this new software can resolve issue?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    aro007 wrote: »
    I connected my soundbar to router by wire but after 24 h still nothing :/ my firmware number is 79. I was so desperate and I installed Google Home app. on my Iphone and I switched on automatic update but still nothing :/Maybe i need to waiting little longer?
    Is it true that this new software can resolve issue?

Try using the Google home app, as LeeSoFL mentioned above.
  • LeeSoFL
    Thank you txcoastal1.
  • aro007
    How long I need to wait for this update? System updating automatically after I connect soundbar to internet?
  • Hello,
    In most cases it happens overnight.
  • aro007
    Do you have any issue with rear speakers after this update?
  • Found this post after my Max SR system started with rear speaker chirping a few weeks back - mainly on the left, but now on both after I re-paired everything. On firmware 103. I have had the speakers since they came out last December, and was generally happy until the past few weeks - seems like for others they have improved but for me they've gotten a lot worse. I'm running this with ethernet cable plugged and have tried repositioning sub, etc - nothing's helped.

Primarily using this with Shield TV and PS4 - I'm thinking this might be a Dolby/DTS decoding issue. When I set the PS4 to force dolby, the chirps appear on upmixed/non-dolby content, but netflix or other proper dolby 5.1 content is flawless. When I set the PS4 to output Linear PCM, I don't get chirps, but I lose the 5.1 options in Netflix since the soundbar can't handle DD+.

At this point I'm really regretting my decision to ditch my wired surround setup.. hoping there is a fix that doesn't require my constantly switching output formats on the PS4 or Shield TV. Also open to further troubleshooting suggestions!
  • aro007
    My system updated to 103 version and I'm disappointed. I'm hearing strange voice from my rear speakers. Today I need to return this system to seller and I have to choose something else.
  • Hello everybody.
    I have the same problem and maybe a solution.
    I've reset the max sr and reconnected the speakers. But I did not connect the system to Google Home this time and so far all the speakers are running without problems, so please test it for feedback.
    many greetings from Germany and much success in testing
  • Updated to version 103 earlier & so far no popping from rear speakers & crackling from sub much improved. However I now have a noticeable lack of bass which is really disappointing (all speakers synched). Played scences from about half a dozen Blu-rays I’m familiar with & the sound is no where as good as the audio pre update or when I purchased the sound bar & demo’d In store. Very very frustrating Polk!!
  • casper868 - Pre v.103 update I tried your suggestion which was a big improvement over v.91. I did experience some interference on the rears but no loud popping. Still heard crackling through the sub but again not as bad as later software versions. Blu-ray audio playback was much more immersive than v.103 with good bass.
  • The same problem. After the V103 update, the bass is incomplete. Is it possible to downgrade it?
  • Nick_S
    Nick_S Posts: 12
    edited October 2018
    lalacko - not sure if it is possible to roll back to a specific firmware version. What I did was uninstall google my home app (so it wouldn’t automatically update) & then reset the soundbar to the factory default version using the reset button at rear of soundbar. You will then probably need to re-synch the sub & rears. I have left mine on V.103 & maxed up the bass which has helped but in my opinion & others is not as good as the sound when purchased but at least my rears aren’t popping making people jump! The sub crackling hasn’t completely gone away but is better but at a lose to the bass. Feel a bit ripped off to be honest as the sound is not as good as when purchased!
  • hxchaz
    hxchaz Posts: 2
    Same problem here. Crazy loud chirping from surrounds, and occasional pops from subwoofer. So far I've tried a factory reset (x3), eliminating my wireless router from the equation, disconnecting from Google Home altogether. As far as I can tell, the firmware remains at v.103, so I'm also wondering if a rollback would solve the problems. I don't remember having these issues my first few weeks with it.

As of now I keep the surrounds muted while not viewing 5.1 content (so my wife won't feel the need to unplug them after being startled). It's definitely been a pain. I'm reaching out to Polk to see about a repair or exchange.

Here is a detailed list of the issues I've been having, in case there are any noticable differences or striking similarities to your own Magnifi Max SR experience.

Devices:
    Polk Magnifi Max
    Polk SR1, purchased separately
    Sony Playstation 4 Pro - Connected via HDMI
    Google Home Wifi Mesh x3
    iPhone Xs Max running Google Home App

General Issues:
    1. Sometimes when PS4 adjusts resolution, soundbar seems to get confused by the signal and refuses to relay to the TV. One time it did not come back on, and the indicator light turned to red.

Issues while playing 5.1 Content:
    1. Occasional pops from subwoofer

Issues while playing non-5.1 Content:
    1. Mild static noise from SR1 surrounds, with occasional pops
    2. Consistent loud chirping from SR1 surrounds
    3. Occasional cross-talk between soundbar and surrounds. (this has only happened twice. Audio from the soundbar would be echoed extremely loud by the surround speakers, only for a few seconds.)

Thanks everybody, for posting your experience. I hope Polk can figure this out for us.
  • Hello,
    Let me send this to a Polk engineer.
  • Here is the response from Polk:
    Hi Ken,
    Please send the customer this procedure. This will confirm that the correct firmware is on the surround speakers.

Unplug power from sound bar, subwoofer and surrounds

a) Plug in sound bar

b) Wait for sound bar to boot – the orange LED will stop blinking and turn off

c) Press Power button on the sound bar – furthest right LED should illuminate Orange

d) Press Mute on the bar – LED should now pulse white indicating Mute

e) Plug in subwoofer and surrounds and confirm the LED on the back of the units is solid green

f) Wait about 10 seconds.

g) If there is an update available, the furthest left LED should begin pulsing white indicating the update has started and the LEDs will gradually fill in and show the progress of the update. (If there is no update available, there will be no additional LED activity and indicates everything is up to date)

h) The update can take up to 10 minutes

i) When the update finishes, the furthest right LED will turn green and then all of the LEDs will go Off after about 10 seconds

j) At this point, the update has completed and sound bar is ready to use.

k) Power on the sound bar and play 5.1 content to confirm everything is working properly and there is sound coming out of the bar, sub and surrounds.
  • raroman
    raroman Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    Hi Guys,

So, I'm new here.
    I bought Magnifi a few days ago. I read these comments about popping and crackling, I read Aro comments too, but I thought, that with the 103 version is everything good for now.
    From the first day, when the package was delivered, I was very happy with Magnifi. It has got Chromecast, the design od Magnifi is beautiful, it has all of the cables included. I thought: wonderful! Everything is in these small beautiful machine. The price is good too.
    I began to listen the sounds going out from the speakers. The Magnifi was mounted to wifi and google home. The Google app shows version 103.
    Firstly - I didn't notice the lack of bass fot the whole time.
    Unfortunately, I heard a few moments in films, music etc., when the subwoofer "popps" quietly. It is only heard, when standing closely to the subwoofer.
    Today the left surround speaker started to "sing like a bird" for a short moment - 3-5 seconds and it has vanished. Fortunately, it didn't repeat. It was the same moment, when the subwoofer popped too.
    If this problem wouldn't appear, the sound would be really amazing, spectacular and for me better, than the other soundbars.
    Post edited by raroman on
  • hxchaz
    hxchaz Posts: 2
    Here is the response from Polk:
    Hi Ken,
    Please send the customer this procedure. This will confirm that the correct firmware is on the surround speakers.

Unplug power from sound bar, subwoofer and surrounds

a) Plug in sound bar

b) Wait for sound bar to boot – the orange LED will stop blinking and turn off

c) Press Power button on the sound bar – furthest right LED should illuminate Orange

d) Press Mute on the bar – LED should now pulse white indicating Mute

e) Plug in subwoofer and surrounds and confirm the LED on the back of the units is solid green

f) Wait about 10 seconds.

g) If there is an update available, the furthest left LED should begin pulsing white indicating the update has started and the LEDs will gradually fill in and show the progress of the update. (If there is no update available, there will be no additional LED activity and indicates everything is up to date)

h) The update can take up to 10 minutes

i) When the update finishes, the furthest right LED will turn green and then all of the LEDs will go Off after about 10 seconds

j) At this point, the update has completed and sound bar is ready to use.

k) Power on the sound bar and play 5.1 content to confirm everything is working properly and there is sound coming out of the bar, sub and surrounds.

Thanks for the reply, Ken. I hardwired my Magnifi Max via Ethernet and followed these instructions. It seems that everything is up to date. Playback of 5.1 content sounds fine, but during other content and while the SR1 speakers are idle, I am still having the same issues before.

In addition to previous troubleshooting, I have now:
    1: Swapped in new HDMI cables
    2: Changed PS4 sound settings to output via optical cable
    3: Removed PS4, and plugged a Chromecast (v2) into Magnifi Max

Same issues in any scenario.

I’m wondering why the surrounds don’t just automatically mute when the device doesn’t sense 5.1 content. It seems like that would make sense. I started using Music Mode in those situations to avoid my constant feelings of buyers remorse. That seems to work fine.

Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.
  • Ecliz
    Ecliz Posts: 40
    edited October 2018
    Hello to all. A week ago, I bought Magnifi Max SR. The firmware in it was already v.103
    There are 2 problems.
    1) The rears continue to work after turning off the soundbar. If you bring rears to your ear, you hear a quiet white noise. From time to time they are heard clicks and pops.
    2) The soundbar is in direct line of sight from the rears at a distance of 4m. If you stand up between the soundbar and the rear speaker during playback, shielding it with your body, you will clearly hear how the rear speaker loses the signal.
    In this regard, I have questions:
    1) Why the rears do not turn off with the soundbar, but continue to send a signal to the speaker?
    2) Why is the signal from the soundbar to the rears so weak that it can be blocked by the body in a room 5x4m. It seems that this is not a Wifi, but an IR signal :D
  • Hello,
    I recommend sending your questions to: Ken.Carter@soundunited.com
  • Hey everybody,

Got the Max SR 5.1 in October. Its updated with the latest firmware but my rear speakers are still popping and crackling. I dont know what to do at I have tried almost everything on here (except 2.4ghz - 5ghz change.) I have ps4, xbox one, and my cable box all plugged into ARC hdmi then I swap between the 3 on my soundbar. I am at a loss at what to do. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.
  • Hello,
    Sorry there's a problem, send an email to: Ken.Carter@soundunited.com for assistance.
  • Ecliz
    Hi Guys.
    I have the same problem as Malfyman
    I’ve got new details, after the last two weeks of observation.
    1) Popping most frequently happens when the source stops send the sound signal to the rears. For example, when I press a pause button while a movie is playing, after the next 15-60 seconds or on silent moments in movie the popping sound might be heard.
    2) Popping highly probable depends on the fact if something is placed between the soundbar and the rears. To make situation worse might be enough to place a chair between them. As a result, on dynamic movies scenes a clicking sound or rattle might be heard from the rears.
    3) I think, the main problem in the low level of the signal from the soundbar. Because, if I stay very close to the one of the rears I can almost fully disconnect it (it stops playing completely).
    So main question if there any possible solution to increase the signal power from the soundbar, at least to cover fully the room which size is less than 20 square meters?
    tkrzflmgzhbh.jpg
  • There are no POPs in the surround speakers, but there are definitely crackles n them. Can't believe it's almost a year into this product and it doesn't work perfectly yet. Just tired of the failures
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    henninge wrote: »
    There are no POPs in the surround speakers, but there are definitely crackles n them. Can't believe it's almost a year into this product and it doesn't work perfectly yet. Just tired of the failures

And blowing up every sound bar thread.... that's the ticket.
  • Ecliz
    henninge wrote: »
    There are no POPs in the surround speakers, but there are definitely crackles n them. Can't believe it's almost a year into this product and it doesn't work perfectly yet. Just tired of the failures
    It might help sometimes when the sound bar is placed close enough to the rears and all things between them, for example, chairs are removed.
    = = = = = = = = = = =
    During this weekend I’ve done an experiment. The rears were placed from the soundbar at the distance of 1, 2 and 3 meters. Each time I couldn’t cause any sound distortion via placing something or someone between the soundbar and the rears. First problems occur at the distance of 5 meters and might depends from the room configuration/shape.
    = = = = = = = = = = =
    Personally, little crackles cause much more frustration than popping (which appears only on pauses or silent moments). On the advice from KennethSwauger, I had an email conversation with Ken.Carter about this problem. Unfortunately, seems there is no solution or workaround. For me it’s obvious that the main reason of the problem is a critically low transmitter power. I think, only Polk engineers are able to give an answer if it’s true. The crackles might be caused by the lost packages from soundbar which incorrectly processed by the rears.
    As I can see, others are struggling with the same problem, so the problem not only with my device.
    We can only hope, that Polk might take into account this information and would try to fix it in the next firmware version. For now I will just move the rears as closer as possible to the soundbar while I hate Polk’s engineers for this issue.