Do power cables make a difference?

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Grape Jello sucks
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited April 2018
    I am not into Jello as food but do they really make Grape Jello?

I am about ready to smash this tablet
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2018
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Here's a good analogy.

I eat grape jello and cherry jello. I like both, but grape is more satisfying to me and my tastes.

K_M comes along and asks me to prove to her grape tastes better, she can't just rely on my individual tastes as a reference point. I can't prove to her that grape will taste better to her? How would I do that?

On top of it, she's unwilling to taste grape for herself, because I can't prove to her that grape tastes better to me. Like somehow if I can prove grape tastes better to me, then she will try grape for herself.

Sounds pretty illogical to predicate whether something will align with your likes and dislikes, abilities, shortcomings, etc based on someone else's interpretation, impressions, likes, dislikes, abilities, cognitive abilities, etc.

It's a very irrational argument, and has no answer. And deserves no attention. Yet here we are trying to make an illogical premise logical. Spock would be highly disappointed.

H9

That analogy does not work at all

We are not talking about agreeing on a flavor.

We are talking about, whether an individual can actually identify a cable based on sound alone, and not sight. (knowing what is being used)
  • afterburnt
    @K_M. What is your quest?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited April 2018
    K_M wrote: »
    Here's a good analogy.

I eat grape jello and cherry jello. I like both, but grape is more satisfying to me and my tastes.

K_M comes along and asks me to prove to her grape tastes better, she can't just rely on my individual tastes as a reference point. I can't prove to her that grape will taste better to her? How would I do that?

On top of it, she's unwilling to taste grape for herself, because I can't prove to her that grape tastes better to me. Like somehow if I can prove grape tastes better to me, then she will try grape for herself.

Sounds pretty illogical to predicate whether something will align with your likes and dislikes, abilities, shortcomings, etc based on someone else's interpretation, impressions, likes, dislikes, abilities, cognitive abilities, etc.

It's a very irrational argument, and has no answer. And deserves no attention. Yet here we are trying to make an illogical premise logical. Spock would be highly disappointed.

H9

We are talking about, whether an individual can actually identify a cable based on sound alone, and not sight. (knowing what is being used)

That was answered.

YES

You missed it entirely "big face palm"...............sheesh, density is not a becoming attribute.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • afterburnt
    edited April 2018
    Here's a good analogy.

H9

You need to start paying rent. Yeah the analogy works. I hate Jello! You hate cables. Just say it and leave.

Satan I am yours, I am buying an ipad! My frigging phone don't do this revision garbage!
  • heiney9
    DaveHo wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @K_M. What is your quest?

To be a pot stirring troll.

Ding, ding, ding!!!!!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    DSkip wrote: »
    You eat jello?

I went for Chinese the other night, and I received complementary jello cubes for desert.

I forgot how good jello was.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I think the jelly analogy is quite apt. We speak of matters of taste, and, as has long been said:
    De gustibus non est disputandum
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Ya if it was only that simple.
    That does nothing to explain guys hearing big differences, when aware of the cable brand, but not being able to identify them when not aware.

I am at a loss to understand why someone must be able to explain a subjective feeling to someone else. But having said that, I have a 2m Signal Cable Magic Power cable I would be willing to live without for awhile, if you PM me your info I'll send it to you to evaluate, on my dime. It is by no means a high end cable as cables go, so try it, and return it to me in two weeks in the same condition (you pay for return shipping, fair enough?). You can choose to write up a report on your findings, or not; I don't care one way or the other, but at least you'll know if you heard any difference.

Worse comes to worst, I figure if you keep it and disappear from the Forum for good, it will be money well spent, though I am sure there will be enough people willing to kick in to cover my loss for doing the community such a beneficial service... j/k :)

This type of person has no intention of trying anything for themselves. They aren't really interested in the outcome. It's the contrarian nature of someone like K_M to constantly parrot the same circular logic about audio. She has her mind already made up and there is no chance of changing it.

It's a great offer, but I predict some excuses will be posted, just like other times similar offers were made. If excuses aren't made your offer will be ignored or she will simply stop posting in this thread and wait for the next one. That's her modus operandi.

Her end game is NOT to ever find out for herself, because she's already made up her mind. She'd rather hold her perceived superiority over those of us who actually have an open mind and can and do discern differences in gear/cables/tubes, etc.

H9

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited April 2018

That explains everything

BlueFox wrote: »
    This is all Clipdat's fault. He installed a Shunyata Venom power cable on his CD player, and was amazed at the improvement he heard. Just wait until this new cable settles into its new home, and he puts the cables on his other gear. Then he will say he really is amazed at the improvement, and others will say he is just imagining the improvement.

Can't wait until I get home tonight to listen to some imaginary improvements. :)

Ya if it was only that simple.
    That does nothing to explain guys hearing big differences, when aware of the cable brand, but not being able to identify them when not aware.

Kelly give it a rest.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Do it, Kelly. ;)

If you have a nice room space to hear something if it happens.

If I had a spacious area in front of my stereo, I would, since I can afford it now, buy that cord Drew was suggesting for a 30 day trial. But I have the speakers and semi-high-end gear to try it with. Many pieces as a matter of fact. Maybe one day but I'm not dying if I don't get one either.

Drew has been the forums' experimental member for a while now. He's checking out a new rack this weekend maybe too.

Take him up on his offer. I want to know for my interest more than anything else. Maybe it will or a placebo effect or it won't change the sound. I have never done a power cord change out. But I know speaker wire does change sound from my speakers. The tweeters become brighter or duller. I have 2 thick wires. The Monster brand...duller. The A/R brand...brighter.

But power cords...No experience yet.

Life is short, come on, let him mail you the cord. It can't cost much. PLEASE. :);)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited April 2018
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    My point was with the jello analogy, why is it up to me to prove to you why something is preferred based on my own subjective interpretation. How is my preference (and proof of) somehow tied to your enjoyment or ability to discern a difference.

Probably wasn't the best based on it's face, the underlying predication stands. Why/How is proof of my experience going to somehow establish your experience? Just because I can't prove it to your liking, doesn't mean I didn't (don't) experience it.

The ultimate answer lies in trying it for yourself.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I think the jelly analogy is quite apt. We speak of matters of taste, and, as has long been said:

I have no idea why I typed "jelly" and not "Jell-O". Maybe some subsconscious anti-Cosby bias? :(
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764

I have no idea why I typed "jelly" and not "Jell-O". Maybe some subsconscious anti-Cosby bias? :(

With Cosby it was pudding............not jello
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Jello pudding pops. Jello is a brand. It most certainly was J-E-L-L-O.
  • mhardy6647
    I was correcting myself, but point taken -- pudding... dang, how could I forget that.
    I must be a Jello-head... umm, I mean, a puddinghead.

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    bnlc7wjijxic.png

It does have a dash, but it's all caps. Derp.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jell-O
  • heiney9
    Otherwise known as gelatin. Jell-O or Jello is a brand
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Not " pudding " but " puddin' ", as in "I like shakey puddin' ".

That was a pretty generous offer back there, K_M, one that you should take up on.

Sal Palooza
  • heiney9
    zmdhskahtpv4.png

Now add Vodka and chill................that's how I like my Jell-O. In a Dixie cup w/Vodka. You know Summer is here when people break out the Jell-O shots!

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Take the Jell-O and a quality Power cable and you can have yourself a Hot Cosby.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • mhardy6647
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Take the Jell-O and a quality Power cable and you can have yourself a Hot Cosby.

giphy.gif
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

Maybe you remember the "legal pressure" Kraft Foods applied on the band Green Jellÿ. :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Jellÿ

Dig the way I stole.....errr.....copied and pasted the umlaut from my Wiki link. HAHAHA