Hi Sal

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Dealers are running sales on electric cars because they aren't moving/selling. The demand isn't there, even with subsidies. Cheap gas has put a choke hold on them. When gas was 4-5 bucks a gallon, then the appeal gets elevated.

Cheap gas, however, is the enemy of the environmentalists. They will do anything to make it more expensive to force people into their approved form of energy. If that happens, what pray tell do you think happens to electric prices once x amount of people switch over ?

It's about money, always has been, always will be.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    FIWIW, I would opine that the Leaf and the Bolt (albeit with government help in terms of bottom-line cost to the purchaser) meet the " cater to the NEEDS of the population at large (families, grocery getters, workers, etc)" criterion. A little small, but fit-for-purpose as a vehicle for routine, daily, low-volume, low-mileage use.

Not at a cost of $30+k and a range of 107 miles with limited space.......if they simply were marketed as commuter cars, increased the range and dropped the price point, THEN i could see the appeal. I would even consider one for my purposes. But, as it stands right now, i cannot see it as a replacement for a daily driver gasoline engine car - toting around my kids with all their sports / band gear, trips to home depot, going on vacation (try putting one suitcase in there much less 4), etc.

Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Lasareath wrote: »
    In other News JBHunt reserves a Tesla Semi Truck.

https://youtu.be/h_SjAcQeU1A

Keep launching these dreams Musk. One day your automotive sector will stay in the black. Hit a record low earlier this year with something like $400 million lost...not bad...

2 profitable quarters overall.....crushing it...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • shawn474
    mrbiron wrote: »

Keep launching these dreams Musk. One day your automotive sector will stay in the black. Hit a record low earlier this year with something like $400 million lost...not bad...

Yep, how long do finance experts predict Tesla can sustain these kinds of losses and lack of production........

https://recode.net/2017/11/1/16593134/tesla-model-3-elon-musk-production-q3-earnings-2017

I have been following Elio Motors closely. Considering my commute and the practicality of cost ($7500 base price) and fuel efficiency, it would make sense. I could pay for the car outright and have no additional monthly payment, get 80+ miles per gallon and be comfortable with heat / air conditioning during my commute. Its bare bones, ugly as sin and technically classified as a motorcycle, but it works for a commuter car..........

https://eliomotors.com/
    Shawn
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2017
    The Leaf's range is very short -- surprisingly, there are a number of them in my neck of the woods. Between the hills and the cold winters, I'd be terrified to drive one anywhere but to the store & back.

The Bolt is better in that regard -- but it is small inside and out.

I like small vehicles for everyday use; it may be recalled that I bought a 2011 Ford Fiesta the moment they were available in the US; ordered one, in fact -- first time in my life I hadn't bought "off the lot". Nice little car, too; economical, cheap & fun to drive. But I digress :|

Our son-in-law came within Angstroms :) of buying a Bolt a month or so ago -- but th dealer sold it out from under him.

He & my daughter just bought a used 2010 Subaru Outback off CL instead :/

• mhardy6647
    Best strategy for many of us in the fast-disappearing segment of suburban/ex-urban baby boomers, methinks, is something small, cheap & economical for 'daily driver' use -- and a big-rump truck for those times when a truck is required.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    mrbiron wrote: »

Normally I couldn't care less, but it's OUR money he is burning through... We have two (That I know of) Tesla dealerships here in the Salt Lake area. Each one has between zero and 2 Tesla's on it at any given time, and one bored looking "salesman". In addition, each dealership has about a dozen of the "fast-charge" (Or whatever they are called) stations that are ALWAYS empty.

If it were Musk's own money, it would not bother me in the slightest. However, our government is throwing BILLIONS at him, with almost no return on investment, and apparently no oversight whatsoever. It's the $600 hammer fiasco all over again.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mhardy6647
    Musk is one of those "Wizard of Oz" guys.
  • tonyb
    Why we keep doing this, throwing billions at niche technologies is beyond me. Yet we have no money for vets, border wall, Medicare, improving infrastructure, getting water to farmers, etc. You know ....those piddly things that can make real changes in people's lives.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shawn474
    tonyb wrote: »
    Why we keep doing this, throwing billions at niche technologies is beyond me. Yet we have no money for vets, border wall, Medicare, improving infrastructure, getting water to farmers, etc. You know ....those piddly things that can make real changes in people's lives.

Because the egos of those involved can't allow themselves to be "behind the scenes" types of people. Those noble initiatives get passed when there is little care who gets the credit as long as it benefits those who NEED it. The EV crowd, and many others, want to be front and center.....their egos need to be fed in ways that are insatiable.
    Shawn
  • mhardy6647
    The hybrid vehicle early adopters tended to be like that too -- and they were legion in the Boston metro area.

Mrs. H wasn't, fortunately, too insufferable when she got a hybrid. :)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    The hybrid vehicle early adopters tended to be like that too -- and they were legion in the Boston metro area.

Cambridge + Toyota Prius' = one if the worst areas to drive in all of mass. Thankfully, I'm still working out of CT. Their equation looks like this;

CT residents + any automobile + darkest tint you can buy = Satan's Nightmare
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    To it's credit, the Toyota Prius is an effective birth-control device.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Drag Times? Then why isn't he dressed like a woman the way you are? :p
  • tonyb wrote: »

Amen!
  • Shouldn't this tree hugging mindset be considered a mental illness like hoarding?! Everyone who's into it is so obsessive over it. I have one in the family who loves Bernie and his thought process is out of control over this.
  • mhardy6647
    Wait? Hoarding is a mental illness?!

Oh, my...

16013994074_3405e2a9d8_b.jpgDSC_0241 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    This Guy from Drag Times just placed an order for the founders' edition. $250,000

https://youtu.be/izhYXO9wKz0

Oooooooo now im soooo impressed.......

LMAO

Not impressed in the least Las.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited November 2017
    Wait? Hoarding is a mental illness?!

Oh, my...

16013994074_3405e2a9d8_b.jpgDSC_0241 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

That isn't hoarding, that is collecting - Big difference ;)
    but i'd be happy to haul it all away if it makes ya feel better about yourself!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Best strategy for many of us in the fast-disappearing segment of suburban/ex-urban baby boomers, methinks, is something small, cheap & economical for 'daily driver' use -- and a big-rump truck for those times when a truck is required.

I went that route 20+ years ago, but soon realized it was a lot less expensive to just rent a truck when needed.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    This Guy from Drag Times just placed an order for the founders' edition. $250,000

Thanks for making my point, toys for the rich elite. Why do we need to subsidize toys for those who can afford them anyway ? Doesn't make sense to me. Especially when we have so many other areas in need of money. This is a priority.....250K cars for the rich ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

Nothing says SUCKER quite like it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    BlueFox wrote: »

I went that route 20+ years ago, but soon realized it was a lot less expensive to just rent a truck when needed.

I’m still looking for an electric bicycle powered by pixie dust and unicorn f arts...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • John, this is the best I can do for you:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/speedx/speedx-unicorn-smart-road-bike-with-built-in-power

No pixie dust but it does have wireless stuff.
    I don't think you should have trouble finding fairy pixie dust out there in California, though.
    Sal Palooza
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned thus far and something to ponder. Why are aluminum manufacturing plants normally located near electrical generating plants? Because of the tremendous amount of electricity they require to make aluminum. The Tesla's body is all aluminum that would mean vast amounts of greenhouse gases generated from producing all that aluminum are released in the atmosphere before their products even hit the showroom.
  • tonyb
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned thus far and something to ponder. Why are aluminum manufacturing plants normally located near electrical generating plants? Because of the tremendous amount of electricity they require to make aluminum. The Tesla's body is all aluminum that would mean vast amounts of greenhouse gases generated from producing all that aluminum are released in the atmosphere before their products even hit the showroom.

Good point Motor, can then one assume that a Tesla's environmental impact is all front loaded in the making of the vehicle ? Having no emissions is like making up for what was expelled making it. Even so, that makes it's carbon footprint equal out in the end....but nobody is really concerned about carbon footprints anyway .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    edited November 2017
    ^^^^^^Just like in the audio world the source here is very important as well. If they have a green source producing the gigawatts necessary for aluminum production all would be well. I can't see a green source able to produce the necessary power needed though.

FWIW the aluminum industry is what made me retire from my self employed sealcoating business a few years ago. Apparently the coal tar which is a necessary ingredient of driveway sealer also has a use in aluminum production. The aluminum industry was willing to pay premium for it compared to the asphalt sealcoating industry so it's not hard to imagine what happened to price of coal tar. Coal tar is also a by-product of the coal mining industry and it's considered toxic until it's dry. So much for that aspect of being green to.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2017
    Aluminum was a semiprecious metal until the late 19th century when a method to isolate the pure metal from aluminum oxide ore (bauxite) by electrolysis was developed.
    Thus was the apex of the Washington Monument in DC made of in aluminum :)
    http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom/9511/binczewski-9511.html
    (... or, maybe not)

q1bu28gmh4u1.png

Electrolysis is also used to reduce water to hydrogen and oxygen.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Electrolysis is also used to reduce water to hydrogen and oxygen.

And removing that pesky mustache hair from the Mrs. upper lip......