Hi Sal

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Don’t know if it has been mentioned earlier in this thread since I haven’t read it, but the gas/diesel engine is in its last decade or two. Numerous manufacturers have stated they are going to some alternative method, and other countries are saying enough with all the pollution. While the US is now in a culture of stupidity we will also be joining the rest of the world.

With that in mind, I am currently researching my next car. As of today, the 2018 Nissan 370Z is at the top of the list. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Don’t know if it has been mentioned earlier in this thread since I haven’t read it, but the gas/diesel engine is in its last decade or two. Numerous manufacturers have stated they are going to some alternative method, and other countries are saying enough with all the pollution. While the US is now in a culture of stupidity we will also be joining the rest of the world.

With that in mind, I am currently researching my next car. As of today, the 2018 Nissan 370Z is at the top of the list. :)

Reported for environmental insensitivity and not having a kooky agenda.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • BlueFox
    Lasareath wrote: »

When I went to Las Vegas in September to test drive the 2018 LEAF I was talking to one of the Vice Presidents of Nissan and he was telling me that the 370Z platform is being worked on right now for an EV!

That would be amazing. AWD, Zero to 60 in 4 seconds. I’d buy that car.

So would I. As long as it was loaded, has at least a 300 mile range, and is less than $50K. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    The only electric cars I drive are slot cars.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    At least they are quiet. :)

The one thing I didn’t like about the 370Z was their playing up the exhaust noise. I hate that. I want power and quiet. Stealth mode, so to speak.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Yeah....ok. Most of us can't remember to plug in our phones, now you want us to plug in our cars too ?

Get up for work, and realize you forgot to plug in the car last night. Then what ? Then you get fired, can't pay the nut on the electric car, and buy a beater gas powered car while you look for a new job.

Bud, the added noise is for safety reasons. Car is too quiet you won't hear it coming and get smacked crossing a street.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    tonyb wrote:
    Bud, the added noise is for safety reasons. Car is too quiet you won't hear it coming and get smacked crossing a street.

Every day I try to walk around the work complex before and after lunch. One day I am walking and daydreaming past a side parking lot when a Volt backed up into where I should have been. I barely stopped and was really surprised how I was caught off guard.

However, the noise I was referring to was gas powered exhaust noise.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb

Some people around the globe also say enough with humans polluting and we need to get rid of a few billion pesky humans. Should we join them too ?

No, it is not the pollution that bothers the world from cars, it's the cost of gasoline. When people start paying 4-5 bucks a gallon, then they start looking at alternatives.

More than half the planet doesn't even have an infrastructure to deliver gas, let alone electric. Gas prices dictate direction from consumers. That's why demand for electric cars is low now with cheap gas available. The powers at be will do what ever it takes to elevate those prices to force those choices. Different states have different requirements for gas, which adds costs to refineries and distribution. That was part of the reason we couldn't ship gas to the Katrina affected states.

The amount of money needed to get everyone around the globe up to snuff with infrastructure to deliver electric would be staggering. Having just the USA and Europe on board isn't going to change a thing on a global scale in regards to pollution or climate change.

Seems to me anyway, some are in love with the idea, but falter when reality hits. Plus we haven't even discussed the raw materials it would take to replace all gas cars with electric. I don't think we could mine that much, and if we could and the demand was there....what do you think happens to the price of those raw materials ? Especially mines in other countries. You'd create another cartel, like in oil, and we'd be at the same crossroads.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...Get up for work, and realize you forgot to plug in the car last night...

Great - another excuse to hear from millennials as to why they can't come to work... (as if they needed another)

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    daddyjt wrote: »
    ...Get up for work, and realize you forgot to plug in the car last night...

Great - another excuse to hear from millennials as to why they can't come to work... (as if they needed another)

They can't come to work well because coming to work involves work. They must get up, get dressed, fix breakfast, brush their teeth and well you know all that stuff is exhausting then you want me to like do something when I'm there? When is break time? I'm wore out from all the work getting to work
  • nooshinjohn
    Some people around the globe also say enough with humans polluting and we need to get rid of a few billion pesky humans. Should we join them too....

Ted Turner, and more than a few others believe the global population needs to be no more than 350 million....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited November 2017
    Yeah....ok. Most of us can't remember to plug in our phones, now you want us to plug in our cars too ?

Get up for work, and realize you forgot to plug in the car last night. Then what ? Then you get fired,

I am OK with firing idiots. I don't forget plugging in my phone. If "most of you" do then that's your damn fault. I have enough charging areas where I spend my day that I don't forget. In my car, near my work computer, main PC at home, bedside stand, next to the couch. I could even carry recharging batteries if needed, or just bring a cable and plug into a laptop. If I am too stupid to remember to plug in my phone then I don't deserve a job other than McDonalds.

My company has several EV plug-in parking spots that are the closest spots to the door, and it's "free" (for now). EV's have a decent enough range that I can drive from work to home and then back to work with a couple side errands and still have range left. So plugging in at home is not even needed.

But I don't own an EV yet. I still want more range, a better looking car, and have it affordable. So this will take some time still.

Time will also tell if other technologies will win over it. But the trend is certain... there's going to be more and more people (~2 Billion) driving cars and motorcycles this century and they will require gasoline. It's not just the environment. It's a limited resource that will be strained. Some other tech (probably green) will need to offset the higher demand.

• tonyb
    Every resource has its limits. Even electricity. There is no silver bullet to solve all our power needs. Oil/gas has come the closes. Widely available and fairly cheap with multiple applications. Which is why displacing it with electric will never happen. You may get niche areas who can benefit from electric cars and that's all well and good but it will never be able to kill off fossil fuels.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Can you imagine an all electric Harley.......instead of rolling thunder it'll be rolling whisper.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited November 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    Can you imagine an all electric Harley.......instead of rolling thunder it'll be rolling BLUNDER.

Fixed for accuracy. B)

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Perhaps the best argument yet for electric vehicles (the Harley EV, that is).
    (Marky ducks & runs for cover...)
  • F1nut
    Can you imagine an all electric Harley.......instead of rolling thunder it'll be rolling whisper.

Don’t have to imagine it. It already exists.

https://youtu.be/q4dQDV8hQEc

Once again Sal, you haven't researched what you're posting. That bike is not available for purchase. IF it does come to market I suspect only a millennial would consider one, but that would mean they'd have to have a good job.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Sal clearly doesn't understand the concept of "rhetorical commentary". Not the first time nor the last time Sal is unable to grasp a concept...

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ADJ
    ADJ Posts: 46

Get up for work, and realize you forgot to plug in the car last night. Then what ? Then you get fired, can't pay the nut on the electric car, and buy a beater gas powered car while you look for a new job.

That's just beyond stupid. That's like saying people can't remember to fill their cars up with gas. No, electric cars aren't the answer now but internal combustion engines were a poor replacement for horses too once upon a time. Centralized power production with virtually lossless distribution makes a hell of a lot of sense. The tech isn't there to make it better than fossil fuels right now but that doesn't mean it won't be.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    ADJ wrote: »
    ... The tech isn't there to make it better than fossil fuels right now but that doesn't mean it won't be.

No one here is arguing that. However, the position is being argued that EVs are a viable alternative to gas/diesel vehicles RIGHT NOW, which they clearly are not. Many here are also frustrated by the fact that they are unwillingly being forced to fund the dreams and ego of people like Elon Musk.

For EV technology to become a true competitor, it must achieve success on its own merits in the free market.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• ADJ
    edited November 2017
    Actually, I think that EVs are a viable alternative to gas/diesel vehicles right now in a lot of scenarios. Certainly not all of course, but in my situation I drive maybe 20 miles round trip to my workplace and back and rarely drive around town more than 50 miles in a day. An EV makes great sense for me and probably would for many people. Nonetheless, I drive a gas pickup :)

That being said, I would never champion unforced funding the dreams of Musk or his ilk . As you said, it will succeed (or fail) on its own merits. Ultimately I think it will succeed in the end but that's just my own opinion.

My bigger issue with the comment that I quoted was that people wouldn't be able to remember to plug in their car to recharge, which to me is idiotic.
  • F1nut
    Actually, I think that EVs are a viable alternative to gas/diesel vehicles right now in a lot of scenarios. Certainly not all of course, but in my situation I drive maybe 20 miles round trip to my workplace and back and rarely drive around town more than 50 miles in a day. An EV makes great sense for me and probably would for many people. Nonetheless, I drive a gas pickup :)

That being said, I would never champion unforced funding the dreams of Musk or his ilk . As you said, it will succeed (or fail) on its own merits. Ultimately I think it will succeed in the end but that's just my own opinion.

My bigger issue with the comment that I quoted was that people wouldn't be able to remember to plug in their car to recharge, which to me is idiotic.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people. AAA makes a lot of "out of gas" rescues each and every day.

President of Club Polk

• ADJ wrote: »

That's just beyond stupid. That's like saying people can't remember to fill their cars up with gas. No, electric cars aren't the answer now but internal combustion engines were a poor replacement for horses too once upon a time. Centralized power production with virtually lossless distribution makes a hell of a lot of sense. The tech isn't there to make it better than fossil fuels right now but that doesn't mean it won't be.

Are you a millennial?
  • ADJ
    charley95 wrote: »

Are you a millennial?

Not sure why a person's age is relevant to their viewpoint but I am probably older than you.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637

Don’t have to imagine it. It already exists.

https://youtu.be/q4dQDV8hQEc

2bu3fvzuz1mj.jpg
  • ADJ

Never underestimate the stupidity of people. AAA makes a lot of "out of gas" rescues each and every day.

LOL, very true. And the energy of choice for your vehicle will never fix stupid.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited November 2017

Are you a millennial?

Not sure why a person's age is relevant to their viewpoint but I am probably older than you.

Careful with that statement I'm finding I'm on the younger side here. Most of the polkies i have met are closer to my mom and dads age. I'm in my lower 50's
  • ADJ
    edited November 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Are you a millennial?

Careful with that statement I'm finding I'm on the younger side here. Most of the polkies i have met are closer to my mom and dads age. Which you may very well be.

I would almost guarantee it :) Just playing the odds..
  • nooshinjohn
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Are you a millennial?

Careful with that statement I'm finding I'm on the younger side here. Most of the polkies i have met are closer to my mom and dads age. Which you may very well be.

I would almost guarantee it :) Just playing the odds..

And who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks...

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    Everybody's avatar should be their most recent driver's license photograph.