Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Flakey Jimmy.....lol

Now, you know we can't be calling people names because it might hurt their feelings and then they'd want a safe space provided for them to get coddled.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2017
    BUT....he could use the moniker "flaky jimmy"....bam solved

I think I'll change mine to mo'ron
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2017
    So does Jimmy now regret not buying the S20's?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    You know, Craig, he's legitimately not the type to get bent out of shape about much of anything. I don't know how he manages it, but the dude is genuinely just that laid back. He's chill and patient, and is fine waiting for the next opportunity. He's 60 going on 17.

And the more time I spend with these things, the more glad I am that he lazed out anyway :) hehe, for all you guys know Flakey Jimmy is a character I invented to be able to acquire these speakers whilst obscuring my hoarding addiction.

I really just love how airy and detailed they can be, and you guys were right - they're not harsh or edgy at all. I've really been enjoying listening sessions the last couple of weeks, between the speakers and new discoveries with soma FM. You guys might like the "left coast 70s" channel they have?

I'm curious as to whether I can mod them in any way to improve the quality even further. I might pull them apart this weekend to have a look inside. I'd like to put on some nicer binding posts, and see how the crossovers look.

Quickly becoming a favorite, that's for sure.
    I have them sitting on the Pangea DS something or other sand mass loaded 4-post stands that I had the 703s on.
    I disabled signatures.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    How do they compare to the 703s?
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310

I am not the flaky one discussed, but this Jimmy regrets not buying them. Scott the hoarder has sold me on their qualities.
  • msg
    deronb1 wrote: »
    How do they compare to the 703s?
    I will preface this by saying that I have not done a critical comparison between the two, so take this as a preliminary, casual observation at this point.

Presuming you're meaning sound quality wise, in addition to what I've mentioned in the few prior posts in this thread, I can really only say that the S20s are different than 703s; Both sound very good to me, with the following standout characteristics:
    • I think the S20s are a little airier, perhaps broader detailed in upper frequencies, but not harsh or edgy.
    • 703's best the S20 in low frequency performance.
    703's may handle certain vocal ranges better at higher volume. With the S20s I've noticed a bit of resonance in specific lower male vocal range - think extra-broody Chris Isaak. Again I reference the vocals in Blue Spanish Sky. Kind of assaults the ears with the S20s at volume, creating a stuffiness in a way, almost like you want to turn the bass down. Could be cable or room related; perhaps requiring treatments or something. This an example of a track and passage I would test during a comparison between S20 and 703 speakers. As to how to "officially" classify this characteristic or speaker performance, I'm not really sure what to call it.

I'd have to spend some time listening more closely with some familiar pieces to comment more contextually. Also still early days with the S20s, according to the experience of other Signature owners.

I also don't have the ear that many more experienced listeners have, nor am I as serious in my quality requirements as some.

As far as comparison to 703s outside of what I mentioned above, about the next best thing I can say for the S20s is that it has not occurred to me to hurry up and get the 703s back in place. Given my love for the 703, this is saying something.
    I disabled signatures.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Thamk you for the detailed redponse. Im not surprised you found them noticeably different considering their configurations. Its how i would compare the 703s to the B&W CDM 1nt. Both have their strong points, but definitely different.
  • msg
    edited June 2017
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

I am not the flaky one discussed, but this Jimmy regrets not buying them. Scott the hoarder has sold me on their qualities.
    Hehe
    Not-Flakey Jimmy - you have a more difficult decision ahead of you when the time is right - whether to line up S20s or to go with some other variant. I do not envy you that bit of work B)

After you get ears on your first set, I think I can see you possibly ultimately wanting to put Signatures in each of your systems - a pair of the floorstanders (maybe 55s?) in the main, and S20s in the br. Or jeez, maybe even S20s all around depending on where you're using subs, and on any room placement tricks you might leverage for fuller bottom end. I would be interested to hear how Signatures compare to some of the sweet spot RTxxi speakers you have experience with. I'd half considered, earlier on, trying some S15s in the little office setup, which would go in place of the beloved RT25i. Someday, maybe there'll be an opportunity, but I'm in no rush there, as the tri-lam'd (baa-aht-aht-aht
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited July 2017
    (vanilla hiccup causing content drop; carry on)
    I disabled signatures.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    msg wrote: »
    (vanilla hiccup causing content drop; carry on)
    It's Vanilla's "Nonsense Regulator" feature.
  • msg
    Next opportunity I get, I'm going to try some S15s against the RT25i in the little office system running the AVR 507, Deftech SC3 and piCorePlayer.

The RT25i is one of my favorites.

These S20s... I just can't say enough how I'm enjoying getting to know them.

Flakey Jimmy told me he managed a pair of S60s for a ridiculously low price. Delivery on the 11th. Will swing by to help him set up and get the skinny. Will post back when I get the specifics. Now to get him educated on properly driving them and to quit buying receivers and AVRs and stuff that isn't really a bargain (I know, I know, I did/do the same thing...)
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Wow flakey jimmys cousin Scott must not have a wife and kids?!? Lol. That's a lot of speakers for one err I mean two houses...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    Luckily, on the ranch in the compound in Utah, there's plenty of room for all the sisterwives and children.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Luckily, on the ranch in the compound in Utah, there's plenty of room for all the sisterwives and children.

Then keep the speakers coming and you may as well get an HT and 2 channel setup for every wife! Don't want em fighting over the stereo lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Next opportunity I get, I'm going to try some S15s against the RT25i in the little office system running the AVR 507, Deftech SC3 and piCorePlayer.

Flakey Jimmy told me he managed a pair of S60s for a ridiculously low price. Delivery on the 11th. Will swing by to help him set up and get the skinny. Will post back when I get the specifics. Now to get him educated on properly driving them and to quit buying receivers and AVRs and stuff that isn't really a bargain (I know, I know, I did/do the same thing...)

Told you that the S20 are nice...

I might try the plug the power port I learned yesterday with my S60 on my S20. Plugged the power port rand Audyssey and WOW a totally different speaker came out. Yes I did remove the towels before listening.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • msg
    Interesting, you plug the port just for calibration?
    I don't have anything that runs Audyssey.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    Yes just for calibration.. Audyssey was over compensating for the added bass coming from the S60 and sounded like a hollow crud when set to small. Found Audyssey was setting a deep valley right at the 80hz mark. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178067/an-audyssey-question#latest

couple of towels in the power port and solved. I still need to re-calibrate with the fridge unplugged to get rid of the low mark on the left speaker.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • matemike
    matemike Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    Went all through this thread, learned A LOT but didn't find exactly what I want to know.

I'll be getting a pair of S15's for my front L/R speakers placed 5 ft height, and 8 ft apart. Restricted to those because I need to hang the left one from a cabinet and I don't want to use a big bracket. No room for floor speakers.

Will a S35 center or a S30 suit me better with the S15 5.25" fronts?

Placing the S35 would be slightly easier, but I can fit either speaker in my HT setup. S30 is a little cheaper and seems to be the consensus being the more traditional center speaker. I've only seen in preferred over the S35 in this thread when using S20's or floors, but I won't have those. Would the S30 still be my best bet considering the S15's will be my fronts?

Room is 20x25x12
    50% FM radio at low volumes
    20% Sports on TV
    20% Movies and TV shows
    10% blasting music

I do have a sub and rear surrounds for 5.1
    Post edited by matemike on
  • i think i would get a S30. from what i have noticed in general 2 larger speakers seem to have a fuller sound than several smaller ones. personally i would not want anything smaller than 5 and a quarter inch woofers.

if you get the s30 you will also have the same exact woofer in your fronts and center which i think would be a plus.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• mrloren
    double that for the S30.. I like mine and that is from a guy who went from a CSi5 monster to the S30.

Come on Polk make a 6.5" Signature (S40 is open) Center speaker pretty please. I will even beta test it...
  • matemike
    matemike Posts: 2
    mrloren wrote: »
    double that for the S30.. I like mine and that is from a guy who went from a CSi5 monster to the S30.

Come on Polk make a 6.5" Signature (S40 is open) Center speaker pretty please. I will even beta test it...

Thank you gentlemen...

Or a 4 x 5.25" woofer center = S45

you know, to rival the Klipsch RP-450.
    did I just say a bad word?
  • msg

Loren, you're just itching for an excuse to build aNOTHER entertainment center aren't you? :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    I do have to wonder how the S35 and S30 compare. @DSkip or anyone else who's had ears on both - is it just a profile build difference, or does one offer a performance improvement over the other? Can't remember whether @rburgess714 tried both when he was auditioning speakers for his system.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    edited July 2017

You could always get a another Signature S60 or a S55 and lay it on its side and use it as a center, maybe even cut out the middle section below the speakers with a circular saw and then glue the power port in side ways. If there is a will, there is a diy way!

I'm not that much of a **********. and I would use a hand saw.

Tweeter is not center so it's a big NO.

Now if Polk wanted to make one and needed a beta test I would do it for free :)
  • mrloren

Loren, you're just itching for an excuse to build aNOTHER entertainment center aren't you? :)

Oh yeah,, but the one I have now will fit a 706C with 1/8" to spare on top
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116

You could always get a another Signature S60 or a S55 and lay it on its side and use it as a center, maybe even cut out the middle section below the speakers with a circular saw and then glue the power port in side ways. If there is a will, there is a diy way!

I think not. :#
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4