Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

Comments

• Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Seems like someone is trying to sell some Signature series flavor?kjrdnkcdfoqa.jpg
    5pwph2va8ojm.jpg

Hmmm
  • Ctxx24
    So I added another sub..sounds awesome hrjltb8r6c2z.jpg
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    very nice setup indeed.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ctxx24
    DSkip wrote: »
    I like the setup. Have you considered a curtain that could be drawn behind the tv during movie time? It might make for a more involved experience.

No I haven't but it's our living room I don't want a curtain hanging..
  • welp... just had a tweeter die in one of my S60s. i spent way too much time trying to figure out why there was so much bias on the left side today, only to realize that the right side tweeter was completely dead.

guess ill have to give polk a call tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

the weird part is that im not putting any real power or strain on the speakers right now. my HT is hooked up to my computer. computer volume - 50%. HT - 24/74, and the receiver is only rated at 145x7@6ohm
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    ^^^^ It can happen, just not to me. o:)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Seems like someone is trying to sell some Signature series flavor?
    the Q Acoustics stuff has been out before the Signature stuff and has been getting great press overseas.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • I picked up the S50/S35/S10 and love the sound but am wondering if it would be worth the upgrade to S60 or S55 and then S15 for surrounds. I can easily return them still. If I don't plan on listening to music much, probably 10% of the time, Would I see any benefit?

My room is closed in 16x12x8. I have a Denon x4000 and a SVS PB1000 sub.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    For that size room and your quality sub, I think you're fine with what you have.
  • deronb1 wrote: »
    For that size room and your quality sub, I think you're fine with what you have.

That is kind of what I am thinking. I just didnt know if the S55/S60 would offer a little more to it while not breaking the bank really. I have never had a bigger surround speaker either, always smaller speakers so was curious there.
  • Ctxx24
    I would imagine the 55s would have a little more punch then the 50..the 10s I'd leave you don't really need much more from rears imo
  • I'm looking forward to being able to comment on the S15 soon. I have had to severely minimize the space I use for audio (mostly a headphone user these last few years). I will be using the S15 in a desktop nearfield environment supported by a little REL TZero sub under my desk. I almost picked up the Mordaunt Short Aviano1, but I found the design of the Signatures very striking and decided to give Polk a chance. For now my KEF R300s remain in a box. They were nice as I had them on stands of course with a pair of REL TZeros driven by a NAD M3 integrated with an M51 DAC.

So the S15 will also be driven by the M3 which I have on my huge old school teachers solid wooden desk. I'm expecting it to be a nice combination as the M3 produces plenty of current and is stable down to 4ohms. Nice discussion here and such as I can contribute I will be. If any of you happen to visit head-fi I am Sonic Defender there. Cheers and nice to meet you all.
  • I elected to try the S15 over the Elac B5 as the B5 has a poorly braced cabinet and I suspect that the bass will get a little plump sounding although they are supposed to be nice speakers. Anyway, I think the design of this line is very striking and I would like to commend the design team for bringing their vision out so tastefully (at least in my opinion).

If anybody likes small gadgets I recently acquired the iFi iOne Bluetooth enabled DAC. It is quite a nice little device and has allowed me to move my system onto my desk as the M51 would have been too large in conjunction with my M3. For headphones I had a custom speaker tap cable made so I drive my headphones right from the speaker terminals of my M3 integrated which is 180 real watts.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk MG! Make sure you come back and do a review once you get the speakers broken in.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk MG! Make sure you come back and do a review once you get the speakers broken in.

Thanks, I will do. They should arrive about Wednesday of this week.
  • mrloren
    Giving this thread a right turn.

Is Polk ever going to make a bigger Signature center speaker. They even made a 6.5" TSX250c for the TSX line. I would live to see something like an S40 center with dual 6.5" drivers.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren wrote: »
    Giving this thread a right turn.

Is Polk ever going to make a bigger Signature center speaker. They even made a 6.5" TSX250c for the TSX line. I would live to see something like an S40 center with dual 6.5" drivers.

Ya I wish they would for sure... I would ditch my s30... Don't get me wrong I like it but..
  • mrloren
    @D2Lo any plans on making a bigger center for the Signature line?

I'm currently using a TSX250c for my center, not that is sounds better than my S30 but I had to meet the WAF. I built my TV stand to fit a big center and the S30 just looked a little too small.
  • I had that with my old polks and I believe the s30 sounds better..
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    @D2Lo is gone from this forum brother. You are barking up the wrong tree!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    @D2Lo is gone from this forum brother. You are barking up the wrong tree!

Bummer, @KenCustomerService any insight here?
  • I am using the S15s with a REL T Zero sub under the desk. The room is quite small, long as opposed to wide and the smaller REL is quite adequate in this space. I find the S15s to be a little restrained in the upper frequencies. This is perceived as a very easy to listen to signature that will most assuredly never fatigue the listener. I am only using these at low volumes so tomorrow when I can turn them up a little I will see if they open up a little more.

Saying they are somewhat restrained shouldn't be interpreted as a negative. There are pros and cons to such a signature. I have had speakers that were too dynamic which may be initially exciting and engaging, but ultimately fatiguing, and I have had speakers that are too polite and lack dynamic presence and tend to be less engaging. I don't think the S15 will be in either camp, likely nicely in-between.

For the record I don't really believe a great deal in mechanical break-in, preferring to ascribe the touted effect to brain break-in, personally. Even so, I have never known something to be perceived as suddenly becoming subjectively brighter. I think what is happening can mostly be explained by the low frequency ability of the s15 being strong, in conjunction with a sub in a very near-field environment and lower playback volumes, resulting in the upper midrange and treble being a little overshadowed. The effect is nonetheless very pleasing and musical, and I suspect once I open the gain up they will start to demonstrate their truer signature. Even if the tonal balance never changed from what I'm perceiving now I would remain very pleased.
  • I am using the S15s with a REL T Zero sub under the desk. The room is quite small, long as opposed to wide and the smaller REL is quite adequate in this space. I find the S15s to be a little restrained in the upper frequencies. This is perceived as a very easy to listen to signature that will most assuredly never fatigue the listener. I am only using these at low volumes so tomorrow when I can turn them up a little I will see if they open up a little more.

Saying they are somewhat restrained shouldn't be interpreted as a negative. There are pros and cons to such a signature. I have had speakers that were too dynamic which may be initially exciting and engaging, but ultimately fatiguing, and I have had speakers that are too polite and lack dynamic presence and tend to be less engaging. I don't think the S15 will be in either camp, likely nicely in-between.

For the record I don't really believe a great deal in mechanical break-in, preferring to ascribe the touted effect to brain break-in, personally. Even so, I have never known something to be perceived as suddenly becoming subjectively brighter. I think what is happening can mostly be explained by the low frequency ability of the s15 being strong, in conjunction with a sub in a very near-field environment and lower playback volumes, resulting in the upper midrange and treble being a little overshadowed. The effect is nonetheless very pleasing and musical, and I suspect once I open the gain up they will start to demonstrate their truer signature. Even if the tonal balance never changed from what I'm perceiving now I would remain very pleased.
  • @mrloren, there are no plans to make a bigger center for the Signature Series.
  • Didn't figure so or they would have already.. I'm good with my 30 it fits the spot it's in well..
  • I also seen the new sub coming out next month that matches the signatures unfortunately it won't compete with the big boys..
  • mrloren
    @mrloren, there are no plans to make a bigger center for the Signature Series.

I kind of figured that, is wishful thinking though :) Be nice if you guys did make a big center for the series.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    I also seen the new sub coming out next month that matches the signatures unfortunately it won't compete with the big boys..

Yep I just don't understand why they don't make a real sub that can hit 20hz or below. Perhaps after the new "best" series (LSiM replacement) comes out they will make a real sub...but then again, that might be wishful thinking as well...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • @Ctxx24 we do have the new HTS10 and 12 coming very soon. I have been using the HTS10 and it is absolutely better than the PSW110.

@rooftop59 The HTS12 reaches down to 22hrz and the HTS10 goes down to 25hrz.

We have a few subwoofers from Definitive Technology that will reach below 16hrz.