Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

1242526272830»

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    edited October 2019
    jdavid wrote: »
    And I assume that the PC2000 is not too much for my 8x 15 room ( which does have an opening on one side, an open archway to living room) with sig 30 center and 20 left and right, and 10 or 15 surrounds, and possible ceiling MC60 atmos (but not sure if room too small).

Room is never to small for big subs, never too much bass, so a wall falls down you know the bass works :)

My wife was like WTF when I got the VTF2, she complained till the first movie. When your system sounds better than a theater she might like it. A VTF2 is not that big.

Oh and add at least one set of ATMOS speakers. All you need to get more of the experience.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    mrloren wrote: »
    And I assume that the PC2000 is not too much for my 8x 15 room ( which does have an opening on one side, an open archway to living room) with sig 30 center and 20 left and right, and 10 or 15 surrounds, and possible ceiling MC60 atmos (but not sure if room too small).

Room is never to small for big subs, never too much bass, so a wall falls down you know the bass works :)

My wife was like WTF when I got the VTF2, she complained till the first movie. When your system sounds better than a theater she might like it. A VTF2 is not that big.

Oh and add at least one set of ATMOS speakers. All you need to get more of the experience.

U mean vtf3 right?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    edited October 2019
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

U mean vtf3 right?

I went from STF2 to a VTF2-MK2 to now a VTF3-MK5. The size difference from the STF2 to the VTF2 was a "what the heck is that". one good movie and it was all good. I think it was Titanic, might be a chick flick but there some good audio and when the ship breaks up.

That's the thing about WAF, first movie has to be one they like

Oh and my friend that bought the VTF2 from me, his wife was the same WTF till he played a movie.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • jdavid
    jdavid Posts: 46
    Learning a lot on this forum now decided on sig 30 and 20 over front and center and probably PC 2000 ( and s 10 or 15 surrounds) . Not decided on whether to add ceiling Atmos yet I tend to consult with installer on site.
    Next is receiver!
    Realizing Denon 4500 is step up from 3600 but curious about differences in features.
    From initial look appears 4500 has (and 3600 does not): AL32 processing with bass sync and Auro 3D but 3600 has ( and 4500 does not) : Dolby Atmos Height and HDCP 2.3 ( not significant as far as I understand). Both have Dolby Vision and IMAX enhanced and eARC, and others all similar I think.
    Looking for now just at features and without knowing future firmware updates -
    ( will probably keep whatever I buy
    What is the view on the significance of the different features and did I miss any?
  • rooftop59
    If you can swing it go with the 4500.

Sounds like an awesome setup!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • jdavid
    Left out - will probably keep whatever I buy for some time.
  • mrloren
    I 2nd going for the 4500

Here is the 31lb 4500
    034s8k3q3c4g.png

and the 26lb 3600
    jugcf4bg7q4j.png

Most of the weight increase is power supply

We watched the new Spider man last night, Yes add a pair of ATMOS speakers

One thing over looked is the speaker cable. Please use a decent cable like Monoprice for inwall
  • jdavid
    Rethinking signature center channel selection , had decided onS30 but just saw that Brent Butterworth who wrote the Wirecutter rave review first choice selection of Signature HT system (S15 30 and 10 system) just stated in his comments/answers to questions to the article his opinion:

That 3 S15s would be better than 2 S15s and S35 ( he had previously noted he thought S30 probably slightly preferable to S35) . Since I am getting S20s this would mean 3 S20s with one for center. Has anybody tried 3 S20s or 3 S15s up front??
  • jdavid
    I should add the questioner included links to several notable articles by recognized sources in favor of this including Audioholics, and two names that sound familiar to me Darryl Wilkinson and Mark Fleischmann.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Most people, not all,will say that matching the front three speakers is the best option.

The problem is that either people don’t have room or it will be visually unpleasant. Placing a 40 inch tall speaker under a tv in the living room could strain a considerable number of relationships.

• rooftop59
    rpf65 wrote: »
    The problem is that either people don’t have room or it will be visually unpleasant. Placing a 40 inch tall speaker under a tv in the living room could strain a considerable number of relationships.

How many significant others do you have?!?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    None. A woman would be an idiot to consider being in a relationship with me. I really can’t bring my self to respect idiots.
  • jdavid
    Yes, as to the center channel in my case using a vertical bookshelf S20 the question is can a 65 oled be above it without th eTV being too high?

And if it cannot be done what would be better —an S20 above the TV angled down or using a S30 placed at same tweeter level as left and right S20s?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    An S20 is going to be too big as a center, height wise. The S30 is the better option and the tweeters in the center do not have to match the height of the tweeters in the left or right speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdavid
    Looking for several suggestions for speaker stands for S20. Someone mentioned Skylan , which seem a little pricey. What other brands have others used or suggest.
  • jdavid
    Just as a fall back also any suggestions for wall mounts too.
  • rooftop59
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    edited November 2019
    Just as a fall back also any suggestions for wall mounts too.

The B-Tech BT77 are some stout mounts. My wife has stood up into the one surround speaker a few times. Her noggin looses every time...
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited November 2019
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I ordered these refurbished S15's for a tiny bedroom rig.
    m037eigmzfyt.jpg
    They had little red info toppers that a store display would have, but still had plastic protection film on baffles and were spotless. Well built and imo attractively styled. Love the ability to easily hang on the wall.

I hooked up in den and played a new-to-me electronic cut, "Endless Summer" by The Midnight then moved on to regular demo cuts. There was nothing really good that stood out about the sound except the soundstage width - it extended a few degrees outside the speakers. Mushy low range, thin piano (well, thin everything), not terribly detailed (seemed weird given the ss width), elements bleeding into one another without space between them. Figured they needed to loosen up; so I looped a break-in track and went to bed.

This morning I was most interested to see if piano keys sounded any better. Put on OP's "We Get Requests". Not sure if it was the little break-in period or the "morning effect" or both, but they sounded TONS better - like a completely different speaker. Rounder, more colorful keys, tighter double bass & drums, more coherent, increased depth - but most of all - engaging. Still not extremely detailed and not a lot of space between players, but excellent width and fun to listen to.

Unbelievable value and very listenable. Keepers!

qdhej4gbjfpj.jpg
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • jdavid
    What has been the experience for S20s ( or even S15s) for minimum distance from wall behind them and from side walls. Welcome collective thoughts.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    MGinOttawa wrote: »
    I suspect for those who play mostly music and not at insane levels, or requiring subterranean bass depths the Polks (referring to the subwoofer conversation) could do quite well. I just put some Blu-tak as speaker feet and it does really seem to help tighten up things and likely even sharpened the focus of the S15s. Maybe placebo, but whatever. Listening to some Keb Mo at a pretty decent volume and it's all nice and tight.
    Cool setup. Which components are those you're running in this system?

If you liked the Blu-tak, you'll probably really enjoy getting some acoustic foam monitor pads. Probably the best bang-for-buck improvement I've made in tabletop/desktop setups. Create adjustable angles, or set up flat if you like.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PQ7TLD
    2eotv2h1tfmb.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hi All i just ordered Polk home cinema set-up consists of the following.

1x HTS12,
    2x S60
    2 x s10(cinema surround)
    plus an additional 2x S20 for far rear end of room to transform the room into more music focus. ( not for cinema but for music in games area of the room
    1x Denon AVR-X2700H

my QUESTION, I need some strong wall brackets for the S10 and if anyone managed to wall mount the S20,...as i do not have the option to put em on floor stands.

by the way the games/cinema room is 10.5m (34.5 feet) long and 6 m wide (19.5 feet), from the 34 feet, half of it (20 feet) will be a games area and the other half a cinema area (14.5 feet)

what do you think about the setup?

keen to hear back your comments this is my very first proper home cinema project. i am installing the Adeo 3m wide screen.