Power Conditioner - Who's using one? Which one? Did it help your sound?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It's a lot less to do with power fluctuations, as long as they are within reason and more to do with noise. You don't know how much noise is on the line until some of it is removed and I think most that haven't addressed better power conditioning would be surprised by how much the noise floor can drop.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ^^^^ on amps that you are thinking of.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's a lot less to do with power fluctuations, as long as they are within reason and more to do with noise. You don't know how much noise is on the line until some of it is removed and I think most that haven't addressed better power conditioning would be surprised by how much the noise floor can drop.

But from what I've seen, general line noise is fairly easily taken care of.

My Furman has done a great job. Again, I think it depends a lot on how bad your power is.

If you have fluctuations and a lot of noise, you might have to drop some coin. But if you just have general line noise associated with residential power and little to no fluctuations, you can get away with something far more reasonable.

Again, depends on what you're starting with...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    It's not all about price either as to which is better. My low line PS Audio kicked the snot out of Monsters top of the line for eliminating noise.

Some just do a better job at their intended function than others. Much like some cdp's sound better than others, they all do the same thing though, right ? Obviously we aren't saying throw 3k worth of power conditioning/regeneration at a 1k system.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    IMO it's pretty much the same as with cables - try upgrading to see if it makes a difference in your system/room/house. It is a bit tougher to do with power because the good stuff seems to be pricey relative to other components and heavy, which restricts resale somewhat.

I was very surprised at the degree of improvement in sound quality going to PS Audio Dectets and a Richard Gray RGPC from Furman, APC, and Panamax units. I ordered a PSA P3 to try as well.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Have the Panamax MR 4300, picked it up 1/2 off at BB. Wasn't expecting anything, except better surge protection than the old Monster power strip type surge protector. Think I had that one for about 10 years, can't even remember the model number.

Hard to tell where I heard a bigger difference, the Panamax or running the dedicated circuit. To me there was a big difference in everything in my HT system. Sound is clearer, and picture on the tv was even a little sharper.

Guess it's just the opposite from subwoofers. If you never heard a good sub, you don't know what you're missing. With dirty power, you won't know what you're hearing until it's cleaned up to some degree.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'd say power at my house is better than what I see many places. It's usually very steady. Never seen it dip below 117. Usually stays steady at 121, 122. That's the least of issues in the power grid. My gains were far from minimal.
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited February 2017
    Started years ago with Monster. Some improvement until I installed the dedicated lines and then comparing between straight to the wall and into the Monster, well the Monster found a new home. Had a chance to aquire the single outlet Audience aRp1 and ran it into a CryoParts 6 outlet box that actually improved the experience. I have since moved up the Audience line to the aR2p-TO for my VAC Renaissance and VAC amp with excellent results.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have said for a few years now that clean power and vibration control are the foundation of a good stereo. If your foundation is weak then no matter what gear you use the end result will be weak. Now get some decent power cords and be prepared to really be impressed. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Nobody mentioned Running Springs , I know a few guys here own them. Tad on the expensive side but those who own one swear by them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Sounds like an Indian name...feathers not dots. I've never heard of them.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    mantis wrote: »
    ...a power conditioner and surge system, it's not designed to make your system sound better.

What it actually does is make (or allows) [your equipment] perform the way it was designed. Supplying clean, stable power, your devices all work correctly.
    SPOT ON and SO to the point.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    ...a power conditioner and surge system, it's not designed to make your system sound better.

What it actually does is make (or allows) [your equipment] perform the way it was designed. Supplying clean, stable power, your devices all work correctly.
    Others think other wise. I'm not here to argue their belief's. They can think whatever they want. It's cool with me.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb

Others think other wise. I'm not here to argue their belief's. They can think whatever they want. It's cool with me.

I don't think otherwise Dan, your correct actually. However by everything running better, getting fed clean power, the side effect of that is what ? Your system sounding better....isn't it ? So while they are not designed to make your system sound better, the effect of what they are designed to do will.

The rules of cause and effect apply here. An amp is designed to store power and deliver current. The side effect of that is better dynamics making your system sound....better, right ?

Power conditioners/regenerators vary in this also. While they all do basically the same thing, which is what they are all designed to do anyway like you said, the manner of which they do it varies, the build quality varies, and thus the effects you will get on sound as the side effect will also vary. Make sense ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Hi there,

Please don't laugh at me for this...

I currently have my nice (to me) goodies plugged into basic mid grade surge protectors I got from Costco. SDG&E guy said that is all I need.

So should I toss one of the power conditioner on my upgrade list. If I do get one should I plug everything into (sub, AVR, TV and BD players)?

For power cords I can't see buying $100 power cord for a $500 receiver or sub. I've been using the one my equipment came with.

Try to take into consideration I am an IT Warehouse manager living in San Diego so funds are tight.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • If you like your stuff, get the best surge protection you can afford.
  • mrloren
    If you like your stuff, get the best surge protection you can afford.

OK, I will look into it, more reading time. The surge protectors I have now are decent.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
  • How old is the panamax?

I went with this;
    Furman PST-8D(igital)

A bit pricey but it is supposed to drop output power on overages and
    sags. Some are let thru's. It's in use on the bedroom system...
    Not for amps however.

@dskip may be able to chime in here.

I used pro grade Tripp lite before an thought they were just o.k.
  • mrloren
    So I go to BestBuy and the dude there was telling me about how these work. he shows me this one a lot better than the one I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MR4000-Management-Protection-Conditioning/dp/B009MQTC52

He got the price down to $140 for me so I got it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    What ever happened to the Richard Gray power plants? Those were the shiznit not too many tears ago.
  • kharp1
    Still around and still building work horses:http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/

They are under new ownership, but, I don't think it was a major change. They sold to a group they had partnered with. Can find some good deals on them on the used market.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited February 2017
    Try this
    https://www.amazon.com/PS-Audio-Power-Port-Classic/dp/B001HRDMLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487515658&sr=8-1&keywords=ps+audio+outlet

and that
    https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MR4300-Management-Protection-Conditioning/dp/B00ILH7KJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487515712&sr=8-1&keywords=panamax+4300

I notice the biggest difference in powered monitors, if you plug a pair of Genelecs into the wall they just don't sound right, but connect them to a Panamax unit and they are different speakers. Same goes for amps and preamps.

This is another cool unit I like to use if a sub is located too far away from the rest of the equipment:
    https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MD2-Outlet-Direct-Surge/dp/B003GSLLCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487515992&sr=8-1&keywords=panamax+md2
    also great for powered monitors.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    tonyb wrote: »

I don't think otherwise Dan, your correct actually. However by everything running better, getting fed clean power, the side effect of that is what ? Your system sounding better....isn't it ? So while they are not designed to make your system sound better, the effect of what they are designed to do will.

The rules of cause and effect apply here. An amp is designed to store power and deliver current. The side effect of that is better dynamics making your system sound....better, right ?

Power conditioners/regenerators vary in this also. While they all do basically the same thing, which is what they are all designed to do anyway like you said, the manner of which they do it varies, the build quality varies, and thus the effects you will get on sound as the side effect will also vary. Make sense ?
    The line gets smeared a lot with the term better. Many companies make claims that their products will improve dynamic range and make your highs sound better etc etc etc. So the language is flawed from certain points of views. All support products like wire and power centers try to retain your premium performance, they don't make it better. better then what it was before you used their products IF there are issues? Absolutely. Dirty and or unstable power will rob your system of it's top performance so using a high quality power conditioner surge protector is a way to regain lost performance.
    Same goes with cables, they can not and will not make your system better, better then using cables that hurt your system for sure. They just don't have the ability to make things better then what you actually start out with IF everything is running properly. A cable can't make a speaker that doesn't have good bass response by design magically give it lower and deeper bass. But they can bring out everything that speaker can play by providing all the signal sent to it.
    Thats all I'm trying to say.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrloren
    So I had to return the Panamax I picked up at BestBuy. Went to go put it in and the only place on my stand it would fit most of my power cords wont reach. bummer @ $140 it was a decent pickup.

I did wind up ordering the PM8-AV from Home Depot, used all gift cards for it.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    So I had to return the Panamax I picked up at BestBuy. Went to go put it in and the only place on my stand it would fit most of my power cords wont reach. bummer @ $140 it was a decent pickup.

Pretending to be upset about it in front of our wives.

Lol! So true!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mrloren
    edited February 2017
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

Clearly you have not been here long enough.

When faced with that issue many of us on here would just throw up our arms and say, "GREAT! Now I have to upgrade all of my power cords!". Pretending to be upset about it in front of our wives.

You made a common rookie mistake. You'll get there!

lurking for 11 years, not long :)

Once I got it home and started in on it I wound up with 2 choices

1 cut into my TV stand that took me 2 weeks to build

2 take it back.

Considering funds are a little tight right now I took option #2 and ordered the PM8-AV with gift cards I had for Home Depot. Power strip type will mount where the current one is. On the TV stand I built I left the center open so my CSI-5 can breath.
  • kharp1
    Actually, your rookie mistake was not coming on the forum and posting your dilemma before deciding what to do. There is so much life experience here that when you post a situation like yours you'll find that you get so much useful information, information like how to con your spouse, how to rearrange your house, creative financing, how to lie to yourself, how to use your kids to get more gear. The list extends much further, but, I think you get the picture. We will help you find ways to get the gear you've always dreamed of but thought you couldn't afford.