Power Conditioner - Who's using one? Which one? Did it help your sound?

1235»

Comments

• RamZetRamZet Posts: 776
    edited February 2017
    Try this
    https://www.amazon.com/PS-Audio-Power-Port-Classic/dp/B001HRDMLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487515658&sr=8-1&keywords=ps+audio+outlet

and that
    https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MR4300-Management-Protection-Conditioning/dp/B00ILH7KJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487515712&sr=8-1&keywords=panamax+4300

I notice the biggest difference in powered monitors, if you plug a pair of Genelecs into the wall they just don't sound right, but connect them to a Panamax unit and they are different speakers. Same goes for amps and preamps.

This is another cool unit I like to use if a sub is located too far away from the rest of the equipment:
    https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MD2-Outlet-Direct-Surge/dp/B003GSLLCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487515992&sr=8-1&keywords=panamax+md2
    also great for powered monitors.
    B&W
    B&K
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,432
    tonyb wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    ...a power conditioner and surge system, it's not designed to make your system sound better.

What it actually does is make (or allows) [your equipment] perform the way it was designed. Supplying clean, stable power, your devices all work correctly.
    SPOT ON and SO to the point.
    Others think other wise. I'm not here to argue their belief's. They can think whatever they want. It's cool with me.

I don't think otherwise Dan, your correct actually. However by everything running better, getting fed clean power, the side effect of that is what ? Your system sounding better....isn't it ? So while they are not designed to make your system sound better, the effect of what they are designed to do will.

The rules of cause and effect apply here. An amp is designed to store power and deliver current. The side effect of that is better dynamics making your system sound....better, right ?

Power conditioners/regenerators vary in this also. While they all do basically the same thing, which is what they are all designed to do anyway like you said, the manner of which they do it varies, the build quality varies, and thus the effects you will get on sound as the side effect will also vary. Make sense ?
    The line gets smeared a lot with the term better. Many companies make claims that their products will improve dynamic range and make your highs sound better etc etc etc. So the language is flawed from certain points of views. All support products like wire and power centers try to retain your premium performance, they don't make it better. better then what it was before you used their products IF there are issues? Absolutely. Dirty and or unstable power will rob your system of it's top performance so using a high quality power conditioner surge protector is a way to regain lost performance.
    Same goes with cables, they can not and will not make your system better, better then using cables that hurt your system for sure. They just don't have the ability to make things better then what you actually start out with IF everything is running properly. A cable can't make a speaker that doesn't have good bass response by design magically give it lower and deeper bass. But they can bring out everything that speaker can play by providing all the signal sent to it.
    Thats all I'm trying to say.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,128
    So I had to return the Panamax I picked up at BestBuy. Went to go put it in and the only place on my stand it would fit most of my power cords wont reach. bummer @ $140 it was a decent pickup.

I did wind up ordering the PM8-AV from Home Depot, used all gift cards for it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,887
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    So I had to return the Panamax I picked up at BestBuy. Went to go put it in and the only place on my stand it would fit most of my power cords wont reach. bummer @ $140 it was a decent pickup.

Pretending to be upset about it in front of our wives.

Lol! So true!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

edited February 2017
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Clearly you have not been here long enough.

When faced with that issue many of us on here would just throw up our arms and say, "GREAT! Now I have to upgrade all of my power cords!". Pretending to be upset about it in front of our wives.

You made a common rookie mistake. You'll get there!

lurking for 11 years, not long :)

Once I got it home and started in on it I wound up with 2 choices

1 cut into my TV stand that took me 2 weeks to build

2 take it back.

Considering funds are a little tight right now I took option #2 and ordered the PM8-AV with gift cards I had for Home Depot. Power strip type will mount where the current one is. On the TV stand I built I left the center open so my CSI-5 can breath.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270

Working Warehouse;
    Old sony 12" Sub
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,393
    Actually, your rookie mistake was not coming on the forum and posting your dilemma before deciding what to do. There is so much life experience here that when you post a situation like yours you'll find that you get so much useful information, information like how to con your spouse, how to rearrange your house, creative financing, how to lie to yourself, how to use your kids to get more gear. The list extends much further, but, I think you get the picture. We will help you find ways to get the gear you've always dreamed of but thought you couldn't afford.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    My options for hooking up the MR4000 are limited. I was not going to cut into my TV stand that took me 2 weeks to build. TV power cord on my Samsung TV is way to short too so it would no be hooked up to the MR4000. With placement on the stand I can get my receiver, TV and BD players all hooked into the PM8-AV. Should do me better than the Costco CyberPower surge protectors I am currently using.

I know how you guys like to help spend others money :) I try to find ways to get more gear on the cheap. Big problem I have is I live in San Diego County. Cost of living is high and flipping or selling my old gear is next to impossible. That said getting used equipment sucks. I have my Sony ES on CL for over a month without a nibble. Odd that most sales are either old or close to MSRP. When a deal does pop up it gone in an hour or two.

So my upgrade list is this
    Signature S55 and S35
    Oppo 103 or 203
    VTF-3MK5
    MR4300 power conditioner, will need to able to get the longer power cords when I get this.

Any help on creative ways of obtaining these goals is most welcome :)

Part time job at Best Buy has been a thought. but when extra money comes in the wife always tries to get her hands on it. "We have bills" is her favorite way of trying to pry it out of my hands. Thus why I like it when people pay me for woodwork in gift cards.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270

Working Warehouse;
    Old sony 12" Sub
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,180
    I wouldn't waste time, or money, on surge protection. Yes, it can occasionally be helpful. However, power filtering is useful 24/7 365 days a year. I was amazed at the audio improvement I heard as I added power gear.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    So I should move the power conditioner up to #2?

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270

Working Warehouse;
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Richard Gray was mentioned earlier in this thread and they got great reviews (take with a grain of salt) and their owners rave about them. There are a couple for sale on US Audiomart, here's a link to one of them:
    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649323106-richard-grays-rgpc-600s/

No affiliation. I was about to grab one before the PP3 went on sale.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,071
    I just picked up Panamax M5300-PM for $333 at NewEgg. My Belkin PF60 dimmer switch has been busted for years, got tired of looking at the nuclear display (stuck on brightest setting). Would've grabbed the 5400, but I don't need voltage regulation.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2
  • ^^^ and? I assume you need the protection in your neck of the woods...
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
  • doctor rdoctor r Posts: 802
    I live at the end of one of my neighborhood's power legs. Years ago I started addressing some line "noise" with a Monster PRO 3600. Provided some help, but made the music rather flat. Unfortunately it took a while to realize since I was focused on what it helped, not what it hurt. Subsequently purchased a used Audience aRp1 single outlet conditioner. Plugged in a quality 6 outlet power box from cryoparts and had what I needed. I have since moved up the Audience line and installed dedicated circuits with excellent results, but still us the aRp1 for my linear power supply for my dac and Logitech Touch. The single outlet aRp1 or two outlet base model aRp2 are great choices for introducing a higher quality power conditioner for your system and they, as well as many other quality conditioners, don't rely on sacrificial MOV's (metal oxide varistors) that can wear out over time. Buying used still provides quality protection and full function. They also plug directly into the wall allowing you to use your upgraded power cord on other equipment.
    VAC Renaissance mk5
    Ayre VX-5/20
    Ayre QX-5/20
    Origin Live Resolution Mk3-2 with LSC
    Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum
    Ortofon Windfeld Ti
    Adona Eris 6dw
    Spendor D9
    Luminous Synestra Sig SC
    Audience AU24 SX XLRs
    Audience aR6-TSSD
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,078
    I'm looking at a Furman ref20i... Fwiw
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,047
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I'm looking at a Furman ref20i... Fwiw

I had the 15- pFi a couple notches below that. It was a good unit and I was happy with it . . .
    But, based on the level of gear you have/rotate thru, try the PS Audio P10 Or the P5 regenerator. You won't be sorry, IMHO

G

Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
    After reading the in depth report on the P10 posted elsewhere in this forum I'm interested to give the 10 a go. Was very happy with the level of gain I received from the P3 and didn't really believe I would ever need anything near the P10's power, but, after reading the P10 thread it has me curious.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,887
    rngkdhza5e4n.jpg

Just picked up this, and will be giving a mini review in another thread. This thing is an absolute hidden gem, and it deserves a little more attention than it's getting, granted it's still a newish company. Core power technology is packing some major quality into what I consider a reasonable price, although I don't have much to compare it to, it has brought my system to another level. Im actually pretty shocked at This point.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• michael1947michael1947 Posts: 781
    I use Belkin PF 60 on 3 of my rigs.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • RamZetRamZet Posts: 776
    edited March 2017
    So I go to BestBuy and the dude there was telling me about how these work. he shows me this one a lot better than the one I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MR4000-Management-Protection-Conditioning/dp/B009MQTC52

He got the price down to $140 for me so I got it.

That is a good unit and for 140, you cannot beat it.
    how do you feel about it now that you have used it for a month+?

Nevermind, I saw that you had to go a different route.
    That 2nd unit you have isn't too bad. I use a modular version (VT-EXT) of it to connect PoE injectors for outdoor Wireless Access Points and outdoor speaker runs (MOD-SPKP) and Cat6 (MOD-UTP5e).

B&W
    B&K
  • dhart86dhart86 Posts: 1,558
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Spend some time on Shunyata's web site reading, and understanding, their technology. There aren't many audio companies who when they release a new product price it less than the previous line. The new Denali line is getting absolute stunning reviews all around, from the press, and customers. I won't be upgrading, but maybe in a few years to the next generation.

I will say adding Shunyata power gear is better than adding a new piece of electronic gear. Of course, you do need to do it right with dedicated 20 amp lines.

I was skeptical that power conditioner's & cables could make the music sound better (sonic improvement) I've tried Shunyata conditioner's and cables and haven't looked back!!!! Huge improvement in my system. "I believe" "I believe"
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• JayCeeJayCee Posts: 610
    edited September 24
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    rngkdhza5e4n.jpg

Just picked up this, and will be giving a mini review in another thread. This thing is an absolute hidden gem, and it deserves a little more attention than it's getting, granted it's still a newish company. Core power technology is packing some major quality into what I consider a reasonable price, although I don't have much to compare it to, it has brought my system to another level. Im actually pretty shocked at This point.

Looking forward to your review. Your initial impressions mirror mine. Makes 2 of us and will be the 2nd review, I believe, on CP. Still waiting to see more comments on the CPT Deep Core released in Jun/Jul. Been looking at the following thread but not much movement:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/has-anyone-tried-these-stunning-new-cpt-power-cord?page=37
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬