New MIT cables, adjustable articulation!

Options

Comments

• befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    Options
    Here's a thought, Perhaps he is a cable advocate. Maybe he just likes to gauge the responses
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2016
    Options
    befuddle wrote: »
    Gold has no real value from a practical worth except for its use in circuit boards in space exploration and its ability to maintain its polished shine in artwork and yet it provides the basis for world economy

"Gold is the basis for the world economy", boy could you never be more wrong. Gold is money but not the standard for any nations currency. Although the Chinese are looking to go to a gold standard.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I heard the finished set up.
    There were moments that the music was so real that I had goosebumps. It was a rig that actually brought out emotion from me.
    There was a song that Ron played, Bang Bang....(?)..the lone cello opening part damn near brought me to tears.
    It wasn't the "sit down and find fault" process that a lot of us do, but a song that I have never heard had me had me emotionally entwined with it from the first 20 seconds.
    Removing the perceived expectations of the gear helped me appreciate what it could do after the song ended.
    You could FEEL the bow being drawn across the strings and hear them being manipulated by the fingers of the artist along the neck.
    Music is a conduit for human emotion.
    Emotion can't be measured and placed in a category.
    If we have come to the point of categorized music....we have lost emotion.
    To us who understand that it takes a little science and a little individual perception to help that artist express to us what they feel....I raise my glass and say thanks.
    Ron, Russ, Doug and all others...thanks.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2Cellos - Bang Bang (ft. Sky Ferreira)
    https://youtu.be/vvyW96akH6U
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • befuddle
    edited May 2016
    Options
    motorhead43026- lightman beat me to the placement But your right I thought I might catch hell for that! Good throw!
    Txcoastal good song choice for a cable showcase as its tempo allows for the slow decaying of notes [Nancy Sinatra's version is good for that too]
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Ray, I loved your analogy of the diamond ring, it was spot on. Truth be told they are NOT AS RARE or valuable as they seem. They are All controlled by Debeers and they decide on how much mark up there is, how many stones are allowed on the market and believe it or not the whole engagement ring thing was all a marketing ploy from Debeers that worked so well to this day. Of course there are other sources like blood or conflict diamonds but for the most part Debeers this one house controls the worlds supply of finished stones. As you beautifully pointed out people don't blink to shell $100k and more for all that glitters, so why not except the free market idea and choose to buy or not to buy for yourself. Same goes for anything that is so expensive for the 99%s that it bothers us when they do buy this stuff.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • lightman1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't give a rats A$$ who buys these cables.
    I'm twice divorced and the only thing I use a diamond for is cutting concrete when attached to a saw blade.
  • befuddle
    Options
    Its not that the diamonds are rare its that the purity of clarity is.And the point being is its value will remain where as the cable will depreciate.
    Another point on high end cables using network boxes is what warranty to they come with? Since they are made using electronics components and may be prone to failure IF they have problems do you ship them back and pay a inflated amount for repair or do they offer a warranty such as Bryston's 20 year deal where prior to selling they test all components and do a burn in to statically remove the possibility of failure
  • lightman1
    Options
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    OK. Here is a quote from Emotiva's website:

"At the same time, Emotiva’s audiophile credentials mean we show up in the best audio systems as well—frequently replacing “megadollar” audio brands in the process. Emotiva delivers the emotion of live music, with all of the amazing range, detail, and delicacy you’re looking for."

1. What megadollar audio brands have been replaced by Emotiva components?
    2. What performance metrics did the consumers use to decide that Emotiva components
    outperformed their megadollar brands?
    3. How was it determined that Emotiva delivers the emotion of live music? How was that measured? What competing audiophile brands was Emotiva gear quantitatively compared to with regard to delivering emotion?

Did xcrapri ignore this? I bet he did. He knows this falls under the same scrutiny he's been giving MIT and he's embarassed.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • befuddle
    edited May 2016
    Options
    As for cable value I look at that argument like this IF I make coffee tables and sell them for 10000ea and if a numerous amount of people buy them and feel that it was worth it I ain't gonna drop the price anytime soon.However if my sales were near nil at that level perhaps it would be wise of me to narrow my expected profit margin,,,,,,Capitalism while it may be none to pretty at times it sure can prove profitable
  • lightman1
    Options
    I have $30 IC cables and I have $2000 IC cables. Guess which ones sounds good and which ones sounds even better? Am I worried about diminishing return on money invested ? Not one bit. Do I care about signal transmission? Every day.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited May 2016
    Options
    do I care how you spend your audio dollars, as long as you are happy?

No.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • befuddle
    Options
    Curious why do you care about signal transmission every day when in you already have decent cable and are content in your purchase?
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    And not it insult Darqueknight as i agree with your intent But using a 100000 diamond ring for an analogy in comparison to a 80g cable is flawed in the fact that the ring will hold a large percent of its value and may be worth more as time goes by, Same can be said of other collectables such as cars, art etc.Gold has no real value from a practical worth except for its use in circuit boards in space exploration and its ability to maintain its polished shine in artwork and yet it provides the basis for world economy

But you know full and well that the vast majority diamonds are not of the "rare" quality and most diamonds, like most automobiles, are not collectables that appreciate in value. Accordingly, my analogy was very appropriate.

http://www.financialnut.com/do-diamonds-depreciate/

https://smartasset.com/personal-finance/why-a-diamond-engagement-ring-is-not-a-good-investment

"When you buy a diamond, you buy it at retail, which is a 100 percent to 200 percent markup. If you want to resell it, you have to pay less than wholesale to incent a diamond buyer to risk their own capital on the purchase. Given the large markup, this will mean a substantial loss on your part. The same article puts some numbers around the dilemma:

Because of the steep markup on diamonds, individuals who buy retail and in effect sell wholesale often suffer enormous losses. For example, Brod estimates that a half-carat diamond ring, which might cost $2,000 at a retail jewelry store, could be sold for only $600 at Empire."

Reference: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rohin-dhar/diamonds-are-****_b_3708562.html
    Its not that the diamonds are rare its that the purity of clarity is. And the point being is its value will remain where as the cable will depreciate.

But you know full and well that the vast majority of diamonds are not flawless, and the ones that are flawless, or nearly flawless, are not affordable by most people.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you agree that spatial audio effects to the listener including stereophonic presentation are really better achieved at the source end through recording techniques, or at the listener end through signal processing, (DSP for example), speaker design and arrangement, room design and treatments, and of course listener position and their training?

I will address this question after you stop ignoring my question about the marketing nonsense I pointed to on the Emotiva website.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Don't bother Ray...we know X only addresses anything he can twist and purloin into some attempt to justify his (confused, dare I say delusional?) particular stance.

He still hasn't answered my or Jesse's questions. In fact, he flat out ignores them. He also selectively quoted your post to focus on something he *could* debate regardless of how blatantly transparent his rantings were.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • befuddle
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Darqueknight- I dont want to make issue of what is obviously a very trivial thing Especially after relating to you that I totally agreed with the point you were making
    But to reply to your post I did say [collectable] cars Which usually means it has taken some time to reach that status for the investment to mature
    Although it could be argued that inflation bears a part in its matured current value But never the less the point being it has yielded profit over the purchase price,
    As for the 100,000 diamond I'll admit I'm not experienced enough to say if or how much value one of that caliber would lose. So since it seems of some relative importance to you to hold on to that analogy I'll concede to your judgement for the sake of your contentment!
    As for my statement relating gold to world economy [well my bad] as its been pointed out. I should've said something more along the lines of yet its highly financially coveted
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Deleted
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    XPA1LG2_TOP.png

Having the heat sinks inside versus outside shows they are interested in cost savings, not sound quality.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @xcapri79
    I see a lot of MC gear, and still quite the collection of other audio gear in your signature. You could have spent or acquired more cost effective gear for listening. So, why the investment of your inventory? The inventory in your signature to most outside of the audiophile realm would look ludicrous.

May I ask, what cables you are using to produce audio signal?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The always attacked Emo at least doesn't produce such nonsense, so there is no need to justify them.

And yet you do justify them, time and time again.
    In fact, they have produced detailed specs, tests and photos of their many products so it shows significant ignorance of the facts to even suggest asking for proof from them.

So, where are the scope measurements? Where are the properly conducted repeatable listening tests? I mean, YOU are the one always asking for proof, so produce it.

Still waiting.......

Still nothing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Still nothing.

holdyourbreath.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • befuddle
    edited May 2016
    Options
    just my rescinded response
    Post edited by befuddle on
  • F1nut
    Options
    You finally found some pretty graphs, congrats! Too bad they don't tell you how....ummmm, shall we say average they sound. Do you have anything on paper that tells us how their CDP transport can be heard clunking away across the room?

So, have you found the repeatable listening tests yet?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    So, how many times are you going to change your post....been at least 3 times now. Keep whacking away at it, you'll get it the way you want sooner or later.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I for one would certainly want to know what justifies a 60-70k increase in price, but like they say, it's how they sound that counts. Some will pay that price even if they only sound twice as good as their other TOTL cables.

.....and so what, who cares really ? Are any of us going to be buying them ? I doubt anyone who is in the market for these cables hang out on the Polk forum.

Once again though, like I keep saying, peoples wallets dictate opinions. Scientific graphs are judge and jury of which everything is held to. If that's the case, your in the wrong hobby. Nothing in audio is as black and white as some wish them to be.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,908
    Options
    Great read on a Sunday morning...

I see X does what he does best, piecing together things he finds on the internet to sweep his garbage under the rug....
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    That's the thing Larry, you can find anything on the internet both for or against pretty much anything. Some tend to find stuff that supports their opinions, not their experiences. That's the whole crux of the matter. Audio is a participation game, not an armchair QB game. Not a spectator sport as they say. If you have no will to learn, you learn nothing. How far would that attitude have taken us in our careers ?

We obviously all will have different experiences and opinions, but that's what audio forums are about, sharing those experiences and opinions, meeting good people, having a laugh and a listen. Why some insist one set of experiences should apply to all is beyond me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, MIT has produced nothing with respect to test results.

Actually, MIT's website has an entire section devoted to technical information and test results:

http://www.mitcables.com/publications.html

http://www.mitcables.com/publications/articles/mit-cables-technical-whitepapers.html

Here are links to two MIT technical papers, one analyzing some of their cables' energy transfer characteristics and the other analyzing their cables' noise characteristics. Perhaps you can examine the graphs and tell us if MIT is trying to pull the wool over our eyes:

http://www.mitcables.com/pdf/output_term_series2_wp.pdf

http://www.mitcables.com/pdf/wp101.pdf
    And we can't even see what's inside the $80K MIT. Probably too embarrassing as we've seen with their other products. DK wants those answers too, by the way.

Sure, I'd like to know what's inside the box that justifies an $80,000 asking price. The only thing that could be in the box are passive filters and impedance matching networks. Unlike a power amplifier, passive filters are easy to duplicate. Therefore I can understand MIT's reluctance to provide a lot of photographs of what's inside the boxes.
    Why is it that MIT can't even get to Emotiva's level of testing?
    If I'm wrong, please show us. We are eager to know.

Obviously, you weren't eager enough to go to MIT's website and look for yourself.
    Sure many manufacturers sometimes make lofty claims without footnote references, however they usually provide some decent information and test results of their products.

Emotiva claimed that people are replacing "megadollar" systems with their mid-fi products. It's like saying people are realizing performance benefits after replacing their six figure MB and BMW automobiles with Fords.
    MIT takes lofty claims to a whole other level and can't even provide the basics in testing to back anything up, so it seems.

What could be loftier, and more misleading and dishonest, than claiming that people are replacing "megadollar" systems with your products, yet you offer no comparative test results or other details or data?

Would you care to explain to us why you rushed to claim MIT has not provided any technical information and test data on their cables and didn't bother to take two minutes to go to their website and look around?