Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    nspindel wrote: »
    Good news to pass along. Just heard from Melanie that these should ship by end of next week!

Also - Voltz and MrBuhl, Melanie confirms that you guys have done a buy/sell of this unit, and it will ship to MrBuhl.

Many thanks for doing this for us!!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Glad the cases are done!!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Many thanks Neil!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Thank you Neil.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • I am brand new the the SDA club. Is there any way to still get in on this, or has the ship sailed?
  • LeftCoast wrote: »
    I am brand new the the SDA club. Is there any way to still get in on this, or has the ship sailed?

You will have to either wait for the next group buy, order 10 yourself from A\L, or wait until someone gives up on their SDAs and wants to unload their transformers. I imagine a few of these will hit the forum for sale in the next few months as they serve absolutely no other purpose to anyone other than SDA modders.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
    I am brand new the the SDA club. Is there any way to still get in on this, or has the ship sailed?
    The 800VA Toroid is a stock Item with Avel-Lindberg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    The 800VA Toroid is a stock Item with Avel-Lindberg

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just wait for another group by of the 1000VA, even if it takes awhile. I'm a pretty patient dude and I'm up to my eyeballs in other projects anyway,
    Meanwhile I will do other upgrades, like Toolfan's rings, etc, and just enjoy what I have and be patient.

You will have to either wait for the next group buy, order 10 yourself from A\L, or wait until someone gives up on their SDAs and wants to unload their transformers. I imagine a few of these will hit the forum for sale in the next few months as they serve absolutely no other purpose to anyone other than SDA modders.

Isn't it basically a high quality 120v-to-120v isolating transformer? Some audiophiles like placing those between the power supply and equipment, so assuming you live in a country with 120v ac power, you could do that and convince yourself it improves the sound of a system without SDAs :-P

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Sorry to get hopes up, but Melanie just emailed me and said she misquoted the shipping date by one week. These will ship by Oct. 10.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Isn't it basically a high quality 120v-to-120v isolating transformer? Some audiophiles like placing those between the power supply and equipment, so assuming you live in a country with 120v ac power, you could do that and convince yourself it improves the sound of a system without SDAs :-P
    I would be in for a group buy although I remain skeptical - how would replacing a wire with a transformer help if I don't run bridged amps? If it does, are there other 'random' places in audio circuits we can throw expensive inductors too and expect an improvement? :-). It smacks of cutting a digital signal to vinyl then playing it back and claiming better sound to me!

Translation: "I am skeptical and would rather insult others' intelligence rather than try it out myself and see if it really does or doesn't make a difference."

You can pick up the 800va toroid from A/L for ~$135 shipped. You can buy a case from Digi-Key and connectors along with the speaker cable of your choice for a total cost of under $200. You can recoup most of that selling a complete Dreadnought on the forum.
    Frankly, for the $15-$25 you may lose, you have a ton to gain. So why not try it out for yourself instead of insulting everyone who has tried it and has experienced a difference?

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    He is trying it out. He purchased one in the group buy.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I would be in for a group buy although I remain skeptical - how would replacing a wire with a transformer help if I don't run bridged amps? If it does, are there other 'random' places in audio circuits we can throw expensive inductors too and expect an improvement? :-). It smacks of cutting a digital signal to vinyl then playing it back and claiming better sound to me!

Translation: "I am skeptical and would rather insult others' intelligence rather than try it out myself and see if it really does or doesn't make a difference."

You can pick up the 800va toroid from A/L for ~$135 shipped. You can buy a case from Digi-Key and connectors along with the speaker cable of your choice for a total cost of under $200. You can recoup most of that selling a complete Dreadnought on the forum.
    Frankly, for the $15-$25 you may lose, you have a ton to gain. So why not try it out for yourself instead of insulting everyone who has tried it and has experienced a difference?

Maybe it doesn't come across that way here, but I see it as insulting my own intelligence: As you say many people here experienced a difference. I do not understand the science or logic behind why an isolating transformer would help in the sda link, so I am buying one to find out as you suggest.

Similarly some people have reported an improvement from placing one in the power input path. Again I do not understand why that would/could improve the sound, but if I found myself with a nice a-l transformer and no SDAs, I would certainly give it a try. (Assuming I am correct in my assumption that the 1000va model is a 120v, 60hz compatible isolator. If not, it would be a good way to ruin an expensive transformer and perhaps start a fire...)
  • ZLTFUL wrote: »

Maybe it doesn't come across that way here, but I see it as insulting my own intelligence: As you say many people here experienced a difference. I do not understand the science or logic behind why an isolating transformer would help in the sda link, so I am buying one to find out as you suggest.

Similarly some people have reported an improvement from placing one in the power input path. Again I do not understand why that would/could improve the sound, but if I found myself with a nice a-l transformer and no SDAs, I would certainly give it a try. (Assuming I am correct in my assumption that the 1000va model is a 120v, 60hz compatible isolator. If not, it would be a good way to ruin an expensive transformer and perhaps start a fire...)

Have you read this?

http://vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev3.pdf
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• ZLTFUL
    My bad on the purchase side of it. You are trying it out for yourself and that is a good thing.

The short of it, on the power side, the isolation transformer isolates the downstream circuitry from the mains. This is primarily for safety as the user of an isolated device now has no contact with the main's power. The side effect/benefit is that any noise on the mains is not transferred to the secondary winding. The "new" magnetic field created by the secondary tends to be cleaner power than the mains.

On the Dreadnought side, it is to use inductance to transfer the signal which in turn decouples the ground from each side of the amp in non-common ground amps. This inductive signal tends to be cleaner.

(At least this is how my limited understanding of electrical theory explains it)

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL nails it.

I have a Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One 5.0 power conditioner in between mains and all my equipment in my main rig. It is essentially a 5.0KV toroidal transformer with several receptacles. When I installed it, not only did I notice the "cleaner" sound, but my wife commented on it without prompting from me. Isolating the mains helps with SQ.

The isolation transformer in the SDA interconnect circuit helps with the 1Cs in SQ, even though that rig has a common ground amp. (My wife noticed the improvement in SQ there, as well.

Of course, I could not even use my mono blocks in my main rig with the SDA interconnect without the Dreadnought in that circuit -- they're non-common ground amps.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    Have we lost the historical threads forever? I remember a thread that showed how the transformer was wired in, but I cannot find it now. I am, for one, going to need some advice when we get the transformers.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Sea wrote: »
    Have we lost the historical threads forever? I remember a thread that showed how the transformer was wired in, but I cannot find it now. I am, for one, going to need some advice when we get the transformers.

Amen to that! I might try to go it alone - but not without help! Here are a few I bookmarked.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/74472/the-ai-1-dreadnought-project-pt-1/p1

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/158154/800va-dreadnought-build#latest

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/160494/dreadnought-assembly-questions#latest

Some have pictures restored, some well...

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    Great. Thanks. There was some links that nspindel has posted further up in the thread that were dead. The wiring details were in third link of your post, Many Thanks.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    You guys getting ready? I've got most of my preparations done-I made two 8' lengths of cable to use with the Dreadnaught, and a separate 14 footer for use without. At one point I thought I might be completing my Speakon work before receiving the transformer, but it sounds as if they'll be arriving on our doorsteps pretty soon. I'll still find use for the single cable if I'd like to A/B a little or if in the future I decide to move the speakers along separately (no plans for that as of now!).

DreadnaughtCase_zpsd22274e1.jpg

Left to do is a) Dynamat inside of case, and b) add the Speakon connector to my 2BTL's terminal cup. I've got a little extra bit of soldering work to do there, as I've got the B/B connector now and need to make the internal connection to what would be the blade connector in a pin/blade setup.

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll just wait for another group by of the 1000VA, even if it takes awhile. I'm a pretty patient dude and I'm up to my eyeballs in other projects anyway,
    Meanwhile I will do other upgrades, like Toolfan's rings, etc, and just enjoy what I have and be patient.

Leftcoast, whenever there is another group buy, count me in.
    SDA SRS, SDA SRS1.2TL, SDA-1C,SDA 2B, Soundcraftsmen Amplification (A5002s, MA5002s, MA5002As)
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    agfrost wrote: »
    You guys getting ready? I've got most of my preparations done-I made two 8' lengths of cable to use with the Dreadnaught, and a separate 14 footer for use without. At one point I thought I might be completing my Speakon work before receiving the transformer, but it sounds as if they'll be arriving on our doorsteps pretty soon. I'll still find use for the single cable if I'd like to A/B a little or if in the future I decide to move the speakers along separately (no plans for that as of now!).

DreadnaughtCase_zpsd22274e1.jpg

Left to do is a) Dynamat inside of case, and b) add the Speakon connector to my 2BTL's terminal cup. I've got a little extra bit of soldering work to do there, as I've got the B/B connector now and need to make the internal connection to what would be the blade connector in a pin/blade setup.

Jay

I'm getting ready, my case arrived yesterday and now I'm waiting on the transformer. I'm not sure if Glen got his rerouted to me before they shipped. I have the dynamat, connectors and feet coming. Still need to get it all ready.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    My bad on the purchase side of it. You are trying it out for yourself and that is a good thing.

The short of it, on the power side, the isolation transformer isolates the downstream circuitry from the mains. This is primarily for safety as the user of an isolated device now has no contact with the main's power. The side effect/benefit is that any noise on the mains is not transferred to the secondary winding. The "new" magnetic field created by the secondary tends to be cleaner power than the mains.

On the Dreadnought side, it is to use inductance to transfer the signal which in turn decouples the ground from each side of the amp in non-common ground amps. This inductive signal tends to be cleaner.

(At least this is how my limited understanding of electrical theory explains it)

ZLTFUL's explanation sums it up nicely. The link below is to a thread that shows a circuit diagram:

The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.2 - Upgrade to 1000VA Transformer -Pg 7
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL's explanation sums it up nicely. The link below is to a thread that shows a circuit diagram:

The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.2 - Upgrade to 1000VA Transformer -Pg 7

*blushing*

;)

• Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    agfrost wrote: » You guys getting ready?

I've got my cases from Larry, ordered/received my female Speakon connectors. Ordered and have to go to the post office to pick up the cables from WestMassGuy/David for the interconnects. Just received my copper film tape which I will use to line the interiors of the enclosures, suppressing/reducing any possible RF interference. Many people talk of using Dynomat inside these enclosures... but to me it would seem copper used as an RF suppression agent is more effective than Dynomat as a noise suppressant. Am I missing something? Should both be used, or is that overkill?

Your input is welcomed...
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Mr_Hz wrote: »
    agfrost wrote: » You guys getting ready?

I've got my cases from Larry, ordered/received my female Speakon connectors. Ordered and have to go to the post office to pick up the cables from WestMassGuy/David for the interconnects. Just received my copper film tape which I will use to line the interiors of the enclosures, suppressing/reducing any possible RF interference. Many people talk of using Dynomat inside these enclosures... but to me it would seem copper used as an RF suppression agent is more effective than Dynomat as a noise suppressant. Am I missing something? Should both be used, or is that overkill?

Your input is welcomed...
    Ron, the Aluminum Case Filters RF, the Copper Foil Filters EMI, and the Dynamat adds mass to the enclosure, to suppress internal and external micro-vibrations/resonances.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396

Just received my copper film tape which I will use to line the interiors of the enclosures, suppressing/reducing any possible RF interference.

Where did you order your copper tape? Can you post a link?

Thanks
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    Did you consider adding a switch to the case to bypass the transformer? That way you could do an A/B test without swapping cables.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    drumminman wrote: »

Just received my copper film tape which I will use to line the interiors of the enclosures, suppressing/reducing any possible RF interference.

Where did you order your copper tape? Can you post a link?

Thanks
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251521269133?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    YEE HAH! Look what just arrived a few minutes ago; It looks like I'm the first one here and I'm certainly looking forward to my weekend project. Thanks to everyone that made this happen. g68etla1mpm2.jpg