Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• dhlogic
    dhlogic Posts: 26
    F1nut wrote: »
    Frank left off the end bell on those Neutrik connectors. Pretty cheesy, IMO.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Could you explain further?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    The End Bell is there, he just added heat shrink tubing with his company name on it.
    f66a6k7z8cx4.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dhlogic
    Yeah, nothing is missing from the connectors. When you mentioned the end bell, I assumed you were referring to the same part that Neutrik calls the housing on their instructions/drawings, but I wasn't 100% sure.

The SPX and STX series of connectors do look different as they have an overall longer housing as compared to the FC series, and with these being covered in heat shrink it might have made them look different than what you were expecting at first glance.

Why did I go with the FC series? Mostly cable size flexibility. The FC series comes in 4 and 8 pole options only and I know I planned on using only 2 of them. But, the FC series comes with two separate strain relief chucks. These chucks go inside of the housing/bell end, allowing it to handle cables from 6-15mm outer diameter. I don't think the length the housing really has anything to do with strain relief either as that is handled by the chuck inside of it.

The SPX series only has 2 and 4 pole connectors and they only come with one chuck for strain relief. The 2 pole NL2FX is suitable for cables from 6-10mm and the NL4FX is for 7-14.5mm.

The STX series are all metal construction and I didn't feel for my application the benefits would be worth the added price.

I could have asked for specific dimensions of the cable from Frank, and asked for the appropriate SPX series that would fit, but decided to go with the connector that gave me the most options. I also suppose having 2 strain relief chucks covering nearly the same range of cable diameter instead of 1, provides better strain relief performance as each can be more specialized to its particular range of diameter than a compromise covering the whole range.

Anyways, it will be awhile before I listen to them, but I am pleased with their construction.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Yeah, the end bell of those NL4FC's is truncated compared to the NL4FX, and/or the blue colored ring is in a different place on them.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Yep, you and David are correct. My apologies to you and Frank. I missed that it was the 2 pole type. I prefer the 4 pole versions that are rated to handle high current.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Yep, you and David are correct. My apologies to you and Frank. I missed that it was the 2 pole type. I prefer the 4 pole versions that are rated to handle high current.

What part numbers did you use Jesse?

• F1nut

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    nspindel wrote: »
    Hey guys, just saw this thread pop up, with just about all the info you'll need to wire up your Dreadnought. So I figured it'd be handy to post a link to it:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?160494-Dreadnought-Assembly-Questions

Well, I guess the links created in the old version don't work now....

I was going to look at this one, no workie, BUMMER!!¡¡
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Hey guys, just saw this thread pop up, with just about all the info you'll need to wire up your Dreadnought. So I figured it'd be handy to post a link to it:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?160494-Dreadnought-Assembly-Questions

Well, I guess the links created in the old version don't work now....

I was going to look at this one, no workie, BUMMER!!¡¡

Found it, see if this works.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2041163#Comment_2041163
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    So you used a four pole but only used two of the poles?

Correct

President of Club Polk

• dhlogic
    The connector I'm using is a 4 pole connector as well, but it and the socket I'm using are rated to 30A rms, unlike the higher rated ones F1nut is talking about. Those are rated 40A rms continuous and 50A rms at a 50% duty cycle.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2014

It sucks that I have to redo all of my forum thread bookmarks.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • vmaxer

It sucks that I have to redo all of my forum thread bookmarks.

Yes it does, bet that would take a minute. :o
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    So you used a four pole but only used two of the poles?

Correct

Thanks!!

• Toolfan66
    Fred,

I got yours drilled out for binding posts today, it will ship out tomorrow...
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Thanks Larry!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    What type of screws do you recommend be used to attach the Neutric plugs to the dreadnaught case? Do you pre-drill the holes for the screws?
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • F1nut
    edited August 2014
    The screw holes in the Neutrik are designed for 3mm (3M) screws. I used stainless steel Philips flathead screws, lockwashers and nuts from Fastenal.

Yes, you have to pre-drill the holes.

President of Club Polk

• stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    I was able to get the above mounting hardware from the local Ace Hardware.
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • dpowell
    Without having to go read 15 pages of thread and re-live the stupidity of the former name-calling member, what is the ETA for the tranny's? I have a very lonely dreadnaught box that keeps asking.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • dpowell
    Found it. ~10 weeks.
  • vmaxer
    dpowell wrote: »
    Found it. ~10 weeks.

From when???? What is the delivery date???

Can't wait to try this out!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    I made the first payment on July 30, so figure 10 weeks from there is October 8. I'll call Melanie if we don't hear something by end of the month, to see if they have a shipping date.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • vmaxer
    I made the first payment on July 30, so figure 10 weeks from there is October 8. I'll call Melanie if we don't hear something by end of the month, to see if they have a shipping date.

Thanks a lot, I can be patient, but anxious at the same time..
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Believe me, it's worth the wait.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    Just read the entire post as Im trying to learn more about all the mods or recommendations by all those that contribute to this forum. Im learning and will eventually consider one of these transformers the next time there a group buy. For now, I have to get my post count up and learn from the experts.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Good news to pass along. Just heard from Melanie that these should ship by end of next week!

Also - Voltz and MrBuhl, Melanie confirms that you guys have done a buy/sell of this unit, and it will ship to MrBuhl.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2014
    Bravo!

Thank you, again!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    awesome Thanks Neil :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD