Spearker cables..fact or fiction?

Options

Comments

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited March 2009
    Options
    seafire wrote: »
    Well Ben I am disappointed -is this really the best you can do?? Fire away with a scientific / technical approach to my statements YAWWWWNNN:eek:

You want technical?

Those who don't know, don't know that they don't know.

End of story.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Well Ben I am disappointed -is this really the best you can do?? Fire away with a scientific / technical approach to my statements YAWWWWNNN:eek:

Seafire, quick question for you:

Could you please list all of the components in your rig, followed by a list of each type of speaker wire and interconnect that you have tested in this system?

Its a simple question; I just want to get a sense of how you reached your conclusions.

Norm
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • seafire
    seafire Posts: 459
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Nice try. Actually I've barely spent any money on cabling before. I've just barely gotten started with my cable experimentation.

Thank you for saving me from spending MY money. You've completely convinced me that the differences I hear in cables are imaginary.

I state once again...what is this cable that doesn't change the signal path at all? Any wire is going to change the signal path, on the pure and simple fact that it is a device that is in the signal path.

Your reference to the micro thin wires on the PCB's are basically irrelevant...I see your point, but the incredibly short lengths of those wires compensate for the difference. Sure, the internal wiring of an amp is just plain wire the majority of the time. Those wires are also all of an inch long.

In case you didn't know, some people also upgrade these things too.

Why is it that people have to come in here and try to "save" us all? As many people have said, numerous times in this thread...If you don't hear/don't want to hear the difference, good for you. Those of us who do, are going to continue "imagining" the difference. Just let it go...you aren't changing anyones mind.
    Uhuh doesn't matter how short the signal path is ..bottom line it is a foil thin track "breaking out into your male ego big is better cable syndrome which I again repeat) prove me wrong.Yes there will be a difference if you have normally functioning ears but you don't need multi dollar hype cables to achieve the same thing.Once you have nailed:) the short comings ie.distance resistance etc you still do not need multi dollar **** cables to achieve this!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,922
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Nice try :cool:I am telling you and the forum that if you use a basic good quality cable.ie oxygen free copper more than 12 gauge if you are more than 3 meters will be complete anything you here from there are short comings in the way electronic audio is presented to you today...micron pc board to thick cable..whatever..you sound like someone who spent a lot of money on cable without giving it thought BOTTOM LINE IF YOU CHANGE IT YOU HAVE FAILED =YOU HAVE ALTERED THE ORIGINAL SIGNAL PATH TO CONFIRM TO WHAT YOU THINK IS NICE!!.. sorry that **** doesn't work for me maybe you lost the thread a long the way:p

You're a moron.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Norm Apter wrote: »
    Seafire, quick question for you:

Could you please list all of the components in your rig, followed by a list of each type of speaker wire and interconnect that you have tested in this system?

Its a simple question; I just want to get a sense of how you reached your conclusions.

Norm
    Boring!!! stopped wasting my time on this crap about 10 years ago...they still stock and sell this **** in my friend's high end audio shop for guys like you that want to spend the money....in both our houses we use CAT 45 CABLE:rolleyes:MY rigs change by the month but I also have 30+ items I have accumulated over the years but speaker cable and connects YAWNNNNSorry adding something..I do not use grandads cheap sheilded cable for interconnects...I look for something cheap and decent sounding at a good price..then I spend my time finding 10% between various amplifiers cd players etc...INSTEAD OF DAYS TRYING TO FIND THE 0.0055% BETTER INTERCONNECT THAN I HAVE...GIVE ME A BREAK
  • Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Boring!!! stopped wasting my time on this crap about 10 years ago...they still stock and sell this **** in my friend's high end audio shop for guys like you that want to spend the money....in both our houses we use CAT 45 CABLE:rolleyes:MY rigs change by the month but I also have 30+ items I have accumulated over the years but speaker cable and connects YAWNNNN

So, I can conclude from your post that you have not tried any cable that has come out within the last 10 years?
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I've always enjoyed 'tricksters' on both sides Sea....you're in the Indian Ocean??? Really? or is that an imagined location.

Also there seem to be two of 'you' one whose grammar and typos are premeditated to seem less than literate, or someone for whom Engilsh is a second or third language? And another...who seems quite capable of writing a decent English sentence. What's up with that? It certainly makes one suspicious as to whether or not you're pulling our leg.

I don't particularly care for cable discussions because they are, as I've said above, A NEVER ENDING STORY. Which this VERY thread 'proves'. I have yet to see a definitive ending to this...although 'you' seem quite sure you know where the end is.

Unless you happen to have a Ph.D. in solid state circuits and engineering (which I certainly do not) I just can't give you the final word you want me to. And, no, I don't own 100s or 1000s of dollars of I/Cs, wires, etc. So I have no stake in this debate!

Will the Real Seafire please sound-off!

Make me believe you're not just playing around!

thanks....
    cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You're a moron.
    WOW Intelligent response!! I am impressed:o
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,566
    edited March 2009
    Options
    But what if we like our signal altered?????????????????????????

Cat 5 based speaker cables have been around for a while.
    They have a following. And they aren't everyone's cup of tea.
    As far as using cat 5, Beldon, AT&T, CDT/Nordex
    are all big guys in the cat 5 market. You hardly need to survey
    "local" It guys. It's available everywhere in the U.S.

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this. WAAAAY too
    much thought. For most of us, a litlle research, trial and error,
    and we end up with a suitable speker cable. As far as what
    the recording should sound like, that is a subject that generates
    more chatter than even cables do. We can pick out certain intruments
    as sounding right, but overall presentation is up for grabs.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Norm Apter wrote: »
    So, I can conclude from your post that you have not tried any cable that has come out within the last 10 years?
    Wrong I hear that crap at least twice a month in my friends sound shop
  • cnh
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I still think you're a trickster! Right? (See above)

cnh

• zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited March 2009
    Options
    less filling!----tastes great! Damn this thread is entertaining!
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    But what if we like our signal altered?????????????????????????

Cat 5 based speaker cables have been around for a while.
    They have a following. And they aren't everyone's cup of tea.
    As far as using cat 5, Beldon, AT&T, CDT/Nordex
    are all big guys in the cat 5 market. You hardly need to survey
    "local" It guys. It's available everywhere in the U.S.

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this. WAAAAY too
    much thought. For most of us, a litlle research, trial and error,
    and we end up with a suitable speker cable. As far as what
    the recording should sound like, that is a subject that generates
    more chatter than even cables do. We can pick out certain intruments
    as sounding right, but overall presentation is up for grabs.
    Ok well you sound like my type of guy / girl I really dont care for your individual taste of what it sounds like/I can respect that ...but I am surely not going to spend thousands of dollars on cable so that I can hear Katie Meleue 1 foot forward hahahha:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,486
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Hi well you are in Charlotte North Carolina phone a local reputed IT company and found out what local cable is good ..usually they will have the tech specs.I am in the Indian Ocean ....right now I am using South African manufactured cable that would not be applicable to you;)
    Damn, I'm so disappointed. I was hoping that you could point me in the right direction. I guess your not the man for the job. See, I wanted to know what you would recommend.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cnh
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Solder snot isn't wet, but I wouldn't put it in my nose!

cnh

• cnh
    edited March 2009
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed 'tricksters' on both sides Sea....you're in the Indian Ocean??? Really? or is that an imagined location.

Also there seem to be two of 'you' one whose grammar and typos are premeditated to seem less than literate, or someone for whom Engilsh is a second or third language? And another...who seems quite capable of writing a decent English sentence. What's up with that? It certainly makes one suspicious as to whether or not you're pulling our leg.

I don't particularly care for cable discussions because they are, as I've said above, A NEVER ENDING STORY. Which this VERY thread 'proves'. I have yet to see a definitive ending to this...although 'you' seem quite sure you know where the end is.

Unless you happen to have a Ph.D. in solid state circuits and engineering (which I certainly do not) I just can't give you the final word you want me to. And, no, I don't own 100s or 1000s of dollars of I/Cs, wires, etc. So I have no stake in this debate!

Will the Real Seafire please sound-off!

Make me believe you're not just playing around!

thanks....
    cnh

I really 'hate' quoting 'myself' don't you?

• seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Ok CNH

what is with the third world grammar? Well its 6am in the morning here and I'm not the worlds greatest typist,Are you referring to the fact that I make frequent typo mistakes well I don't know what your location is but I am fully schooled in the British higher education system.When i hit the keyboard i don't look up as I'm a two finger typist!.i usually have an assistant doing all my typo..sorry to disappoint you but it's the real me...anyway I'm off to work..enough of this crap
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,566
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Ok well you sound like my type of guy / girl I really dont care for your individual taste of what it sounds like/I can respect that ...but I am surely not going to spend thousands of dollars on cable so that I can hear Katie Meleue 1 foot forward hahahha:D

I didn't. With a little shopping $175 for speakers cables, $100 per I/C.
    And you would know what my taste in sound is HOW????????????
    I don't recall seeing you in the room. You, sir, are an unknown.
    We don't know you. You don't know us. You may know something
    about sound. Or not. Please don't take that as an insult. But at this point
    with about 65 posts you could be an asset to club Polk or our worst nightmare.
    Either way, it's cheap entertainment to watch!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Ok CNH

what is with the third world grammar? Well its 6am in the morning here and I'm not the worlds greatest typist,Are you referring to the fact that I make frequent typo mistakes well I don't know what your location is but I am fully schooled in the British higher education system.When i hit the keyboard i don't look up as I'm a two finger typist!.i usually have an assistant doing all my typo..sorry to disappoint you but it's the real me...anyway I'm off to work..enough of this crap

Oh, a security guard, eh?
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Oh yes! not to be outdone...I used some washing line cable for my system the other day...have to say '' the tightly wound mild steel spring coil gave such superior noise rejection to our radio wave polluted sky waves man can you hear it the attack on those snare drums is so much faster....not to mention the expanded sound stage hear the depth wow:rolleyes:aawh GIVE ME A FRIGGEN BREAK:mad: cheers all SEAFIRE
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited March 2009
    Options
    speaker cables..... $100
    IC cables.... $75

laughing so hard I pissed in my pants reading this thread.....Priceless!
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I didn't. With a little shopping $175 for speakers cables, $100 per I/C.
    And you would know what my taste in sound is HOW????????????
    I don't recall seeing you in the room. You, sir, are an unknown.
    We don't know you. You don't know us. You may know something
    about sound. Or not. Please don't take that as an insult. But at this point
    with about 65 posts you could be an asset to club Polk or our worst nightmare.
    Either way, it's cheap entertainment to watch!
    Spend your money on the part of an audio system that really counts...not some " rip off company" who has there product mass produced in China and sells it to fools for insane prices.
    What do they say IF YOU CAN'TDAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE -BAFFLE THEM WITH ****!!!:D
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    speaker cables..... $100
    ic cables.... $75

laughing so hard i pissed in my pants reading this thread.....priceless!

:d me too
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Oh, a security guard, eh?
    Is it only security guards that go to work so early in your country?Wow no wonder you productivity and economy is up to ****:cool:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,530
    edited March 2009
    Options
    no because you dont have a d/a converter in your speaker!!:cool:hmmm maybe depending on how long your speaker cables are...glad to see you starting to ask valid questions :)

Seabass, err..I mean Seafoam,
    Actually my question was in reference to a "digital" cable (see above); and actually it would work electrically, but not physically, as a 50ohm BNC connectors' collet won't properly fit a 75ohm female BNC.

I'm just bustin your chops. Nothin but love on this side of the table man...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited March 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You're a moron.

They say one of the greatest talents a person can have, is the ability to say so very much, with so very few words. This is a talent you're very adept with Jesse...lol

This thread is hilarious...squirm non-believer...squirm.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Seabass, err..I mean Seafoam,
    Actually my question was in reference to a "digital" cable (see above); and actually it would work electrically, but not physically, as a 50ohm BNC connectors' collet won't properly fit a 75ohm female BNC.

I'm just bustin your chops. Nothin but love on this side of the table man...
    yeah yeah not that I really care but anyway they are both co axial the former not so popular anymore...I think I have frustrated some ppl but have also given some food for thought...been around in this game for many years and seen a lot of ****!
    catch you later;)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,530
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I like seafoam, the dude has me rolling. I take back anything mean I have said. Are we good homie? I'm serious, he's like the little brother I never had. Right, wrong or otherwise, you stand by your comments---and I DIG that about you baby.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    They say one of the greatest talents a person can have, is the ability to say so very much, with so very few words. This is a talent you're very adept with Jesse...lol

This thread is hilarious...squirm non-believer...squirm.

Yeah I hear you...fact is your still here reading the posts:D
  • seafire
    edited March 2009
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    i like seafoam, the dude has me rolling. I take back anything mean i have said. Are we good homie? I'm serious, he's like the little brother i never had. Right, wrong or otherwise, you stand by your comments---and i dig that about you baby.
    dont call me baby:d
This discussion has been closed.