Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited August 2011
    Monitor 7B's bought last year!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2011
    Polk Audio speakers I've owned, in chronological ownership order:

:mad: = sold
    :smile: = still own

RT-7 :mad:

RT-16 :mad:

RT-3 :mad:

RT-1000i :mad:

CS-350LS :smile:

RTA-12C :smile:

Monitor 5B :smile:

Montior 10B :mad:

SDA-2B :smile:

SDA-1C :smile:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • fiero11
    fiero11 Posts: 23
    edited August 2011
    I still own my first Polks...a pair of CRS+ and SDA 1C's and 10B's from the late eighties. Still love them and they sound great.:smile:
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited August 2011
    nope -

I sold my original 1990 SDA-1Cs studios this summer

.... and my new to me Monitor 10s two months later...

so basically i'm a polkless club polk member -- banned for life???
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • saa115
    saa115 Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    I used to walk by this store in undergrad called Paul and Tony's in State College, PA. I would drool all over the Polk's that they had on display and finally was able to purchase my first pair in Dec of '91. I paid ~ $400 for the black monitor 5s and paired them with the Denon PMA 980R, the first Denon int amp with a remote control. I'm happy to say that I still have those monitor 5s as the fronts in my basement paired with the RM6750 sub, center and surrounds and a Denon AVR 1709 and a 58" Panasonic HDTV. I'm in the process of upgrading to RTi A3s. the M5s will go back upstairs to be mated back with the PMA 980R, on which I just fixed the faulty input selector.
    The M5s have been with me for almost 20 years and I have a real fondness for them. I think I will keep them as long as they continue to pump out great sound. Good times.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited August 2011
    After listening to some of my buddy's Polks over the years, I finally sprung for the complete RT5000 system listed in my signature in 2002.

All of the speakers are in absolute mint condition complete with the original boxes and packaging.

I've upgraded the other audio components in my system but have no intention of replacing the RT5000 speakers with anything else.

They sound too good. :wink:
  • Michael8it
    Michael8it Posts: 192
    edited August 2011
    Nope. First pair were 5b's. Now I have RTA 12's
    Carver C-1, M-500 MKII, Yamaha HTR-5835, Polk RTA 12BM's (M-for mod'd).
  • RickTfromAZ
    RickTfromAZ Posts: 122
    edited November 2011
    Yup. A pair of RTA15tl's. Bought em new. I went in and drooled over the 1.2tl's and then bought what I could afford at the time. Finally got a pair of 1.2tl's a couple of years ago. Only took almost 20 years!
  • PreCd
    PreCd Posts: 786
    edited November 2011
    Yes! I bought a pair of SDA2As in 1986 and upgraded them to 2Bs a year or so after. Kept them by my side but did not run them much at all till now. Organized me a listening room, modded them, recapped them, recapped my preamp and amp...........need I say more. Loving it.
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
    Bottlehead Quickie Tube Preamp
  • bcline
    bcline Posts: 59
    edited November 2011
    Purchased my Monitor 5bs from California Sound when I got my first job out of college in 1988. Still have them and have recapped them. However, they are in storage for my kids someday as I replaced them with a set of SDA-2As which I purchased a couple of years ago. I also now have a set of 7c speakers... but I will never let go of those 5bs. They still sound and look like new speakers.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,792
    edited November 2011
    First pair was my RT800's, purchased new back in 1999. Hefty pricetag back then ($800) considering what's avail now but I don't think I can part with them.
  • rebuy
    rebuy Posts: 695
    edited November 2011
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited November 2011
    yup bought my ls50's new , dont think i will ever get rid of them .
  • Luigi1951
    Luigi1951 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Yes. Model Nine. Bought them upon graduating in 1974, and still occasionally listen to them. Contrary to some opinions re: them I still think they sound good although I have to admit they sounded better when driven by Kenwood 6200 receiver.
  • cwsmith68
    cwsmith68 Posts: 434
    edited January 2012
    Yes. I traded a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-8'S and a pair of Bose cubes for a Pair of RT 55i's a few months ago. Love 'em! I now have RTA 12 b'S, mONITOR 10 B's and 5JR's!
    Had Polk in my car for 7 years now:biggrin:
    Main system:
    Denon PRA-1500, Denon POA-2400, Denon TU-660, Denon DCD-2560, Denon DVD-2910, Denon DRS-640, Denon DP-30L II w/DL-301 mc cart, BSR EQ-3000, DCM Timeframe 600's
  • Mark Syd
    Mark Syd Posts: 12
    edited January 2012
    I still have my Polk s10 speakers from the early 90s and I love them! Back then they were top of the line in the series and they still are awesome speakers now. Why would I replace them?
  • Texun2
    Texun2 Posts: 10
    edited January 2012
    I have my 7B's that we bought when we were first married, I hate to even say what year the was:rolleyes:
  • dsthornberry
    dsthornberry Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I still have my SDA SRS 2.3tl that I bought new in July of 1990 at Sheffield Audio in Houston Tx
    on Fondren Rd at 59 South, tax and all was about $2700.
    They have only been moved once 15 miles to the house I am in now, since October 1992.
    They have always been in the living room as the main attaction
    I did the tweeter(s) upgrade last year.
  • vstarkwell
    vstarkwell Posts: 328
    edited January 2012
    Yes!!! my Polk Monitor 5Jr+ Series 2 currently on loan. Since then I had a pair of Monitor 10 A's, which I've since sold and currently have a pair of 7C's & SDA II's
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 419
    edited January 2012
    I still have my SDA SRS 2.3tl that I bought new in July of 1990 at Sheffield Audio in Houston Tx
    on Fondren Rd at 59 South, tax and all was about $2700.
    They have only been moved once 15 miles to the house I am in now, since October 1992.
    They have always been in the living room as the main attaction
    I did the tweeter(s) upgrade last year.

I heard my first Polk speakers (SDA SRS) down the street on Fondren just North of Westpark in 1987. It might have been Sheffield or something else. Anyway, I was hooked but they wanted $3,000 plus tax. Several months later I bought my 1.2's in Greensboro NC for $2,650 shipped to Houston. They have been with me since including a round trip to Saudi Arabia, back to Houston, and now in TN. I've owned them longer than about anything else I have.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Four Polk TSi-200's
    Four Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited January 2012
    I've never sold a set of Polks.

I still own my first (1987) Polks as well as my second, third, fourth and 5th sets.

I'm negotiating with a guy (nice set of CRS+'s on local CL) right now and won't sell them either if the seller takes my offer.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited January 2012
    Got my RTA8Ts in 1989 and still have them. Replaced the caps and am thinking of getting RD0s. Thats it, will have them forever.
  • Thomasjclark45
    Thomasjclark45 Posts: 18
    edited January 2012
    I purchased my first pair of polks M50's only a couple of years ago and I love them. I tired polks becuase I had owned polk car audio and was very impressed by their perfomance vs. the price.
    I do still own my very first surrond speakers from 94, they are the paradigm Micro's. I bought them from a local audio dealer, back before there was the big box stores. They were very enthusiastic about the Canadian company of which I had never heard of before. I also bought the small center that went with the set. Back then I paid 150 for the Micro set and 115 for the center. Earlier this year I inherited some of my fathers set up, which he bought at the same time. which included the Paradigm Atoms and the PDR10 sub. I have to say that it is amazing that these 18yr old speakers still work as good as the day I bought them. Unfortunately the Center channel mid foam surround has now rotted and been torn. The mesh grill loosend up over time and fell off during the last move I had and tore. Such a shame. I wanted to stay with the Paradigm system, but quickly found out that their pricing/quality was way above what I could afford or need. The down side of these, is that they don't quite match with my Polks. I currently am planning to replace them with Polks, but since I just Spent over $700 this year on my HT, which is chump change compared to many of you, my wife will put a hold on my future spending for a while. I would like to get the M40s to replace the Atoms as my front Highs and replace the micro's which I am using for my center with a CS2 which should give me a good match for the M70's and M50's that I have. I just seems the more I spend, the more I want to spend. It is a never ending circle, with each upgrade, there is another upgrade that will make it that much better.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited January 2012
  • zoraduntov
    zoraduntov Posts: 25
    edited January 2012
    Yes
    Still have my SDA SRS 2 . Relaced them with B&W 800D . I don't think ill ever sell them .
  • PryingEars
    PryingEars Posts: 5
    edited January 2012
    Got serious about audio in high school. Tried many brands of speakers and ended up with a new pair of Polk Monitor 10s. Loved them then, love them now. Listening pleasure since 1983.
  • saganized
    saganized Posts: 59
    edited January 2012
    Still own my RTA 8t's purchased ($469.48) in 1990. Since I can't seem to add them to my System Showcase (not sure why), please permit me to "showcase" them here, next to my LSi15's! And happy to say, I've been a Polk Audio fan since the first time I laid ears on the RTA 8t's...they still sound as beautiful as they look! :smile:
    t.jpg
    t.jpg 131.5K
  • scottfox
    scottfox Posts: 37
    edited January 2012
    Purchased my original polk Monitor 10's w/Peerless tweeter 4/6/1981 in Fairfield, CT for $480. Still have them with me in Dallas, TX. Could never let them go. Incorporated into my home theater with CSi20 center & Monitor 4 surrounds.P1020029.jpg
  • saganized
    saganized Posts: 59
    edited January 2012
    Nice, scottfox! My heart was set on Monitor 10s when I was in the military back then (but I ended up with Infinity SM 120s because they were all I could afford :frown:). Hey, I like that HDTV, too...a 5080? I have the 4280 and totally love it. (But doggone it, the 55" LG OLED shown at CES 2012 makes me want to start saving pennies again!)
  • chosenalready
    chosenalready Posts: 17
    edited January 2012
    I went into our local sound store looking for a replacement for my Pioneer SX-3700 that had given up the ghost. The shop had Yamaha, Macintosh, Denon, and JVC lines for sale. While checking out the choices for equipment they took me into the listening room to check out some new Denon equipment and it was hooked up to some 2B's. After a little of listening I was sold. But at the time in needed equipment first and only had funds for that. I walked out with Yamaha components. A few months later I returned and spent for time listening to the 2B's and 2.3TL's as these were the only SDA's that they had in the store. After much consideration and a little negotiation I purchased the 2.3TL's for $2,300.00 for the pair and I still have them today. Best stereo purchase I ever made.