Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,298
    edited June 19
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Help Wanted: maintenance technician for local wind farm. Pays $20/ hr plus benefits ( life insurance).

$2000/hr and I might consider it. Probably not though.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 2,556
    edited June 20
    Very cool shot. I wish we had darker sky here.

Did you do a slight time exposure for that!
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 17,290
    Help Wanted: maintenance technician for local wind farm. Pays $20/ hr plus benefits ( life insurance).
    No effin way for $20 an hour! I make more than that working the supply operations area for an insurance company.

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 26,293
    edited June 20
    CH46E wrote: »

I suppose it depends upon one's definition of slight. ;)
    30 seconds at f/5 @ ISO 10000

also from last night...

50027667496_e3ce80ae2f_b.jpgDSC_0515 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 2,028
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    7f01799hg43u.jpg

It was real pretty last night -- and my new DSLR does pretty good with low light (thanks, son o' mine, for the gift!)

A night sky like this has to be one of the top five reasons to live out of the city. <3
    the night before wasn't bad, either :)

50022853406_7338505aa4_b.jpgDSC_0457 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    7f01799hg43u.jpg

It was real pretty last night -- and my new DSLR does pretty good with low light (thanks, son o' mine, for the gift!)

A night sky like this has to be one of the top five reasons to live out of the city. <3

In 2020, an even better reason is "sheltering in place" is a lot less claustrophobic. :)

edited June 20

I suppose it depends upon one's definition of slight. ;)
    30 seconds at f/5 @ ISO 10000

also from last night...

50027667496_e3ce80ae2f_b.jpgDSC_0515 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I don't know much about photography. I would have thought 30 seconds would have made a slight streak on the stars. Guess it's not enough time. Very cool!

Edit: actually I see the streak now that I zoom in on the photo. Still looks amazing.
    Here's me two towers down hard at work...

4a3gid0mx0iz.jpg

What volcano is that in the distance???
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 8,080
    With apologies to Maxell. :)
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,710

4a3gid0mx0iz.jpg

Mt. Adams
    Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer/DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,494

4a3gid0mx0iz.jpg

Mt. Adams

We lived in the Tri-Cities for a couple years when I managed the Lowe’s there - had a great view of Mt Adams from our living room window.
    edited June 21
    I don't know much about photography. I would have thought 30 seconds would have made a slight streak on the stars. Guess it's not enough time. Very cool!

Edit: actually I see the streak now that I zoom in on the photo. Still looks amazing.

Yup, one sure does :)

ezgrzmvixfvy.png

Take a long enough exposure, and it's easy enough to spot Polaris (the North Star). :)

For "serious" astrophotography (with just a camera and lens or a 'scope) one would use an equatorial mount and a 'clockwork' tracker to synchronize the camera's motion with the earth's (so to speak) and hold everything still.

To me, one of the most remarkable things about astronomy in general and astrophotography in particular is that the magic ingredient usually isn't magnification, it's light gathering. Many objects of astronomical interest aren't particularly "small" to a terrestrial observer -- but they're dim. Digital photography brings at least a glimpse of lots of cool stuff into easy reach for folks with access to a reasonably dark sky, some time to kill, and (in the summertime, at least) some bug repellent :)

High-er magnification is nice to have for, e.g., observing planets -- but that's almost a different hobby altogether (see, e.g., the gorgeous lunar photos posted earlier by @joecoulson ).

edited June 21
    I've spent a lot of time with Military spec night vision goggles. At that time, the most advanced in the world. Every chance I had, I was looking at the stars. Its amazing. You can see other galaxies without magnification. They look like little night time clouds in the sky.

Unfortunately our home telescope is only really good at looking at our own moon. I do like seeing Jupiter's largest moons on line with its self. I usually get to see Jupiter then 4 moons all on one plane.

Post edited by CH46E on
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 17,290
    I've spent a lot of time with Military spec night vision goggles. At that time, the most advanced in the world. Every chance I had, I was looking at the stars. Its amazing. You can see other galaxies without magnification. They look like little night time clouds in the sky. Unfortunately out telescope is only really good at looking at our own moon. I do like seeing Jupiter's largest moons on line with its self. I usually get to see Jupiter then 4 moons all on one plane.

Now that is super cool !
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,909
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Great view? How 'bout this one?

f5ys6cka0c9j.png

Tom

F4U-5?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    I've spent a lot of time with Military spec night vision goggles. At that time, the most advanced in the world. Every chance I had, I was looking at the stars. Its amazing. You can see other galaxies without magnification. They look like little night time clouds in the sky. Unfortunately out telescope is only really good at looking at our own moon. I do like seeing Jupiter's largest moons on line with its self. I usually get to see Jupiter then 4 moons all on one plane.

You can get some different eyepieces for it, you know? ;)

I didn't notice the Milky Way the other night by eye (it was a little too hazy) but the camera's CCD sure did ;)

In the wintertime (and sometimes on a clear and moonless summer night) it is often easily visible here (despite sources of light pollution to the south and the northwest of our own relatively dark location).

• treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,617
    F4U-5?
    Oh, I have no idea. It just came across my computer somehow and I thought I'd share it. I kinda dig the photo.

Tom

In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
    treitz3 wrote: »
    F4U-5?
    Oh, I have no idea. It just came across my computer somehow and I thought I'd share it. I kinda dig the photo.

Tom

Certainly appears to be some flavor of F4U Corsair, given the wing design :|

lyh6i2fflyli.png
    0urujtusmdc7.png

See, this is the kind of thing I find really amusing! They call this stuff Verb,
    so Verb is its name. That makes Verb a noun.

Nouning weirds language, too.

Hysterical!

:D