Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Options

Comments

• Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited May 2009
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    speaking of dump finds: Howzabout a vintage (1984) "silver-faced" Sony CDP-111. What a monstrosity.

CDP-111threequarters.jpg
    CDP-111innards.jpg

As found, complete with the ingested Kenny G holiday CD :-P

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/CDP456ES/CDP456ES.html

too much egg nog i guess:D
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited May 2009
    Options
    My Denon POA-3000 Class A (push pull Class A) amp with 180WPC continuous into 8 ohms.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40605&d=1243637310
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • megasat16
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Here is the beefy Integrated AMP Pioneer made over a decade ago.

Pioneer Elite A-91D Integrated Amp with 120WPC into 8ohms.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40606&d=1243637564

attachment.php?attachmentid=40607&stc=1&d=1243637689
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited May 2009
    Options
    That is a beefy piece of hardware.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I vote this thread as the best on the forum right now.

As i wondered through every page i was just in awe of how you guys are so into this.

A guy can really get into audio and want to try out other gear and "think" it's a hobby, Boy do i stand corrected. you guys deffinetly enjoy this hobby, as i went through the pages i was like "how do these guys find the time for all this" Amazing simply Amazing.

With the refurbishing and upgrading i am doing on my SRS 1.2's and trying to understand it all. + Ben is doing the real upgrade for me on these. It is very small to what some of you guys know and build. I am very humbled by what i have just read and saw.

Great work and a great read.

Larry.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited May 2009
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    My Denon POA-3000 Class A (push pull Class A) amp with 180WPC continuous into 8 ohms.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40605&d=1243637310

That's cool...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2009
    Options
    My $25 mono bloc from Hong Kong.:eek:It's 3x LM3886's in parallel.
    3886.JPG 131.4K
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Here is the beefy Integrated AMP Pioneer made over a decade ago.

Pioneer Elite A-91D Integrated Amp with 120WPC into 8ohms.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40606&d=1243637564

attachment.php?attachmentid=40607&stc=1&d=1243637689

Those are some serious gonads!!!;) I think I have a cap fetish...
  • speakergeek
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I vote this thread as the best on the forum right now.

As i wondered through every page i was just in awe of how you guys are so into this.

A guy can really get into audio and want to try out other gear and "think" it's a hobby, Boy do i stand corrected. you guys deffinetly enjoy this hobby, as i went through the pages i was like "how do these guys find the time for all this" Amazing simply Amazing.

With the refurbishing and upgrading i am doing on my SRS 1.2's and trying to understand it all. + Ben is doing the real upgrade for me on these. It is very small to what some of you guys know and build. I am very humbled by what i have just read and saw.

Great work and a great read.

Larry.

I consider it one of the best one the net! Many products have been featured here. It is an excellent read for sure!
  • megasat16
    edited May 2009
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    My $25 mono bloc from Hong Kong.:eek:It's 3x LM3886's in parallel.

$25 is a giveaway considering the size of the heatsink the PCB. Three LM3886 are just a freebie that comes with it. :D

3 x 38W @ 8ohms should be able to push some serious mid-sized woofers. :)
  • Systems
    edited May 2009
    Options
    $25 is a giveaway considering the size of the heatsink the PCB. Three LM3886 are just a freebie that comes with it. :D
    The heatsink was'nt included, I threw it on for testing purposes but still $25 isn't bad for a comlpete pcb with the LM3886's installed.In testing it put out about 80 clean watts into 4 ohm's which should be plenty for driving the woofer section (a pair of 6.5" Vifa's)of my active center channel.

With four of these boards you can contruct a nice pair of economical,high powered mono blocs in the bridged parallel configuration(BPA300).Like thishttp://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65131&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    edited May 2009
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That is a beefy piece of hardware.

Thanks for the complement, mhardy! A91-D has very open and very natural sounding amp with Digital Direct Input from CDP. I could listen to it all day long without fatigue and it makes a really nice two channel amp for the office.
    Those are some serious gonads!!!;) I think I have a cap fetish...

Yep! Men are known to go wild for for Caps Cans and Beer! :D

The heatsink was'nt included, I threw it on for testing purposes but still $25 isn't bad for a comlpete pcb with the LM3886's installed.In testing it put out about 80 clean watts into 4 ohm's which should be plenty for driving the woofer section (a pair of 6.5" Vifa's)of my active center channel.

With four of these boards you can contruct a nice pair of economical,high powered mono blocs in the bridged parallel configuration(BPA300).Like thishttp://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65131&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Thanks for the linky GV! I think this small wonder is capable of up to 150W into 8 ohms with the higher rails voltage. From what I read about LM3886, I believe you need external protection circuitry to go with the amp board? The BPA300 looks cool.
  • Systems
    edited May 2009
    Options
    think this small wonder is capable of up to 150W into 8 ohms with the higher rails voltage.
    When paralleled(not bridged) their output capability into 8 ohms will not be much more than that of a single chip.However the extra current output capability when paralleled does give them more output potential into 4 ohm loads.I confirmed this with an a distortion anylizer.Output into 8 ohms was roughly 50 watts and 80 into 4 ohms with +-30 volt rails.The voltages could be increased but heat disipation and reliability become issues.
    from what I read about LM3886, I believe you need external protection circuitry to go with the amp board?
    You could add on DC protection for speakers but it's not essential.The chip has onboard overload and thermal protection.
    The BPA300 looks cool.
    It does if I needed another amp I think would try one of these for fun.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    edited May 2009
    Options
    When paralleled(not bridged) their output capability into 8 ohms will not be much more than that of a single chip.However the extra current output capability when paralleled does give them more output potential into 4 ohm loads.I confirmed this with an a distortion anylizer.Output into 8 ohms was roughly 50 watts and 80 into 4 ohms with +-30 volt rails.The voltages could be increased but heat disipation and reliability become issues.You could add on DC protection for speakers but it's not essential.The chip has onboard overload and thermal protection. It does if I needed another amp I think would try one of these for fun.

I know you've measured it but I wonder why there is not much more power through 3 x LM3886 than a single LM3886. Could the caps be limiting factor for the amount of current 3 x LM3886 can handle?
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Pass Labs X250. 100 lbs of beauty.

X250.jpg

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • megasat16
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Very Cool Amp, Ricardo!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2009
    Options
  • Systems
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Pass Labs X250. 100 lbs of beauty.

X250.jpg
    The white stick on labels must indicate the matching of the IRFP240/924O output MOSFET's.If a set needed to be replaced they could be matched accordingly.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I know you've measured it but I wonder why there is not much more power through 3 x LM3886 than a single LM3886. Could the caps be limiting factor for the amount of current 3 x LM3886 can handle?
    It's a voltage limiting thing not current limiting.In fact operating 3 of them in parallel means that there is morecurrent available to drive lower impedances.The voltage swing will be no different than as with a single chip.For increased output into 8 ohm's you could bridge a pair of chips which would increase the voltage swing.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited June 2009
    Options
    From the shallow end of the gene pool... a late 1960s EICO solid state receiver. Not in the same league as the wonderful EICO tube stuff, but I couldn't pass it up for the price of shipping. Apparently I've never posted these photos to this thread....(?)

DSCN5831.jpg
    DSCN5826.jpg
    DSCN5827.jpg

and a Sansui TU5500 I found at the dump.

TU5500front.jpg
    DSCN6004.jpg
    DSCN5997.jpg
  • megasat16
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Nice Vintages, mrh! Congrats on the nice find. :)
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2009
    Options
    iPhone pic of the guts of my Hsu ULS-15. Figured I'd take a shot of it before I send it n for replacement.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • polkie4life
    polkie4life Posts: 231
    edited June 2009
    Options
    th_P1040735.jpg

SRT plate amp.

th_P1040737.jpg

Inside srt sub
    In terms of audio, i truly feel sorry for the visually impaired. How can they know what they like if they cant read google?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=86838
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited June 2009
    Options
    th_P1040735.jpg

SRT plate amp.

th_P1040737.jpg

Inside srt sub

Wow thats some serious iron and caps, for a "plate amp".

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • polkie4life
    polkie4life Posts: 231
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Poee7R wrote: »
    Wow thats some serious iron and caps, for a "plate amp".

Dave

Hehehe. you'd be horrified to know i pulled them out and drilled holes in the bottom, and fed speaker cable direct to the drivers then.... lol
    In terms of audio, i truly feel sorry for the visually impaired. How can they know what they like if they cant read google?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=86838
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Options
    This bad boy's on my bench with a poached channel.Interesting but simple design using Jfet's,BJT's and Mosfet's for the output's.
    b1.JPG 177.4K
    b2.JPG 131.9K
    b3.JPG 90.4K
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Beautiful setup polkie4life
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Nice transformer, GV#27
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Nice transformer, GV#27
    Yeah It's a 625VA Plitron.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • speakergeek