Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

1363738394042»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 18,762
    How do you like the Solen caps?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 9,644
    I don't know. I don't have anything to compare them to.

I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck the stock caps are, but the iron core inductors and cheap resistors aren't ideal.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 27,550
    They tend towards the bright in the places I've tried them.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 5,895
    Here is a Wyred 4 Sound, STI-500 integrated amplifier that I picked up recently. This is a later V1 model.

23 torx screws to take off the cover! You have to really want to see inside!

Inside are two separate B&O IcePower 500ASP modules, each rated at 250wpc into 8ohms and 550wpc into 4ohms.

The back panel has two boards for input switching and volume attenuation. They advertise a true resistive ladder for the volume control, but all I see is a chip for volume control...maybe I'm missing something but that is a bit misleading if it only uses a chip for attenuation.

Otherwise, nicely laid out. Nice quality parts on all the boards. Front panel only has the optical encoder dial, a few buttons and the display. It is connected to the back with a long ribbon cable that actually lets you move the panel completely off and to the rear without disconnecting.

4r6zcsxxpo0z.jpg

s7u7o8dd44fi.jpg

fa43jgk5nbzr.jpg

kxit6ugt8m8e.jpg

pu5j0mu7g3vm.jpg

mdibxu1fqtp1.jpg

ra9w16oc3vfw.jpg

Main 2-ch:
    Sony SS-M9; Amp: LSA Statement Integrated; VPI HW-19 Mk3/Sumiko Premier FT-3/Audio Technica AT15SA; Pass Labs DIY Pearl Phono; Sony SCD-C333ES SACD Changer; TEAC UD-301 DAC; Dell/WYSE 5010 (running Daphile); Sony ST-SA5ES Tuner; Nanotec Golden Strada speaker cables (SR+#79 Shotgun); Audioquest Coral interconnects