Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2009
    Amps/preamps only? Or is anyone interested in seeing an old school Sansui tuna?

I have a couple i could post up when i get home tonite. I'll be bored with nothing better to do. :)

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1084016&postcount=639
    anything goes!
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited June 2009
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Damn! You beat me to it!

I can't see the pics at work though. I'll check that one out when i get home, and see if mine is any better. You won in terms of price scored for though.... i had to PAY $15 for mine. ;)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    Damn! You beat me to it!

I can't see the pics at work though. I'll check that one out when i get home, and see if mine is any better. You won in terms of price scored for though.... i had to PAY $15 for mine. ;)

1) Neither can I :-P

2) Depending on which model Sansui tuner you have, you may still have the better deal! They made some very nice ones (TU-717, TU-919, TU-9900, TU-X1, e.g.).
  • concealer404
    edited June 2009
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    1) Neither can I :-P

2) Depending on which model Sansui tuner you have, you may still have the better deal! They made some very nice ones (TU-717, TU-919, TU-9900, TU-X1, e.g.).

I have the same one you posted. :-P TU-5500. I love it, though.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2009
    Clarity%20MR%20Duelund.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    "Grandma, what big capacitors you have!"
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited June 2009
    What is it, Face? I am speechless!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    If your speaker's gotta have a crossover, it should have crossover components like those...
  • megasat16
    edited June 2009
    Yep! Where you think that comes from or where it suppose to go in?

I've not yet messed with X-over in my LSi yet. Since these quality components cost half or near the speakers.......I hate this Hobby!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2009
    That is some serious business Mike.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited June 2009
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    I believe that's the first glued together chassis I have seen. Elmers?

It's actually Gorilla Glue and it was the first full DIY build I ever did. I was primarily only worried about how it looked on the outside, thus you can still see some of the sales stickers on parts. The reason you can see so much glue is that after I assembled the chassis with hardware, I glued the inside seems as insurance since no one was going to see it anyway. :rolleyes:

It's not the pretties looking amp from the inside, but for all the knowledge and skills I learned in the building process, it was well worth it. Plus, how much did you pay for your integrated tube amp with selectable onboard USB DAC or unbalanced unputs? :cool:
  • megasat16
    edited June 2009
    I kind of like the Ayre mono-blocks, I really do not have any big mono or stereo sand amps at the moment, the Wolcott's can drive the SL just fine as they are noted as the amp for SL but always can make room for a big ole man sand amp.

I used a big man amp by BAT with my Amazings, still kinda regret selling that amp.

RT1

Why Ayre? The Wolcotts are great amp but when compared to sand, they don't stand a chance. After all, Tubes are Made from Sand!

I have both the Platinum and Mark IV and tried with several sand amps and they are up for the task. But No Tubes.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2009
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Why Ayre?
    I have'nt had the oppurtunity to hear any of their model's but I understand Mr Hansen to be a very skilled designer responsible for some very good sounding products.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2009
    Basically Ayre is another noted SL amplifier, dare I say some say better than my Wolcott's, but you need the powerful big blocks, which are not cheap, so I wait until Richie Rich who has them now wants something new and unloads them. They can handle the low impedances I need, also, the SL need amps with caps that can quickly recharge and have excellent damping for a very fast speaker, so amps with many smaller caps tend to work well. The Wolcotts work because of the adjustable damping.

Sorry no pics beyond website stuff and that is not suitable for this thread.

carry on. as said enough text.

RT1
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    The stock cheap op amp for the left and right analog stage was removed and replaced by a far superior Burr Brown OPA2604.The 2604 is then buffered by a pair of discrete pure Class A directly coupled op amps. New dedicated voltage regulators were also added and these are fed from an external(the black box) heavily filtered and pre regulated DC power supply.
    u1.jpg 512.2K
    u2.jpg 500.5K
    u4.jpg 492.5K
    u3.jpg 513.7K
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2009
    Nice. I need to mod my Denon SACD player sometime down the road. I still haven't even cracked it open yet. The Pre you suggested for my friend should be here shortly. We have the PS built for it already, and we just need to mod the board a little for the clean external PS. I start another thread for that later.
    Again nice work Fred.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    ben62670 wrote: »
    The Pre you suggested for my friend should be here shortly.
    Might you mean DAC?
    nice work Fred.
    Thanks Ben
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    edited June 2009
    Still a work in progress...

HPD385A%20Crossover.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • megasat16
    edited June 2009
    Neat craftsmanship, Face! What's with the tube like copper rods? Resistors are placed inside them? Or just the copper shielding to reduce noise?
  • Face
    edited June 2009
    Thanks, those are Duelund resistors.
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited June 2009
    Marantz SA-11S1
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • megasat16
    edited June 2009
    Dan, It's a very beautiful CDP! I always wanted one to try out! I know Ricardo is very happy with it.
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Face wrote: »
    those are Duelund resistors.
    Are they metal oxides,metal films or something else?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    edited June 2009
    It's a graphite rod with silver leads. They're also VERY delicate! There's no coloration like standard Mills resistors. They have the transparency of Mundorf's MOX resistors without any sheen.
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Face wrote: »
    It's a graphite rod with silver leads. They're also VERY delicate! There's no coloration like standard Mills resistors. They have the transparency of Mundorf's MOX resistors without any sheen.
    Interesting I have not seen these before.
    btw.nice work on the xover.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    from the shallow end of the hifi gene pool... a Scott R31S (Asian-made) low end, low power receiver that passed through here from the dump for a while. Decent tuner in it, tho'.
  • concealer404
    edited June 2009
    What is this "dump" that you speak of? You seem to be pulling some mildly nifty stuff from there. I want in!

• speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited June 2009
    What is this "dump" that you speak of? You seem to be pulling some mildly nifty stuff from there. I want in!

No kiddin'! I've often wondered where all of those "oldies but goodies" come from there....
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    It is a proud old New England tradition... the "take it or leave it" pile, also known as the "Yankee swap" pile. Many smaller New England towns (even relatively civilized ones) still have town dumps, although most are now "transfer stations" where one may leave one's garbage and recycle ones... umm... recyclables. We don't have curbside trash pickup.

Many transfer stations/dumps still have swap piles, too (though more and more do not, to the consternation of those towns' citizens). The New England town dump is also the traditional center for exchanging town information/gossip, and a prime stop on the local campaign trail.

Yankees, you see, are terrifically parsimonious "make it last, use it up, I]something, something[/I or do without"! The swap pile is like Boxing Day for the almost used up stuff; every Wednesday morning and most of Saturday, in our town's case.

The dump tradition is one of the better things about living in New England! :-)
  • megasat16
    edited July 2009
    Here is Threshold SA/12e Monoblocs pairs I found on eBay. It is not mine and the picture belongs to the seller / owner.

I've included the Original eBay Link if you wanted to see it for yourself. I have no affiliation to the seller / owner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Threshold-Stasis-SA-12e-power-amplifier-MONO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem20ac599432QQitemZ140330505266QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

attachment.php?attachmentid=41370&stc=1&d=1246478238