Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Options

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,653
    edited June 2008
    Options
    PICT0515-1.jpg

fredv was nice enough to let me try he's tube pre. WOW. I listened to 3 different types of music.
    Carver C-5 and fredv's tube with my 2 channel setup.

1. Skillet -"Comatose"
    Winner is Carver C-5. Rock music need the shrill highs and sharp sounds. The tube pre sounds good but tended to mellow out rock too much. Guitars were a bit muted.

2. Little Big Town -"Boondocks"
    Winner is tube pre. Great separation of their vocals and instruments. C-5 comparatively was not bad at it but tube pre was better. On this recording, the tube pre let the guitar and other instruments came out clear and separated. All came out clear.

3. Allison Krauss -"Away Down The River"
    Winner is tube pre. Allison's voice can get a little edgy on C-5 because she has such great range. Tube pre took off the edge that I heard on the C-5 and was beautiful.

Ending thoughts:
    C-5 great all around pre. Still a keeper.
    fredv tube pre show me why tubes are loved.
    I had my son come in to listen with me and we both came to the same conclusions.

( The amazing thing about SS and tubes is that they are so different, that some instruments and/or vocals in songs were missing or spread apart or bunched together. I really never thought that there would be such a difference in the pre you add to you system. )

Thanks again fredv,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Welcome to tubes Roy! Once you get that bug you never go back . . . the same with vinyl.:D;)
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Tubes are sweet, and you listen to Skillet?!? :D

Nice pic BTW.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,653
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Skillet, Santus Real, MercyMe, Unhindered, Steller Kart, Disciple, Underoath are some of the groups we listen to. I tend to like all music. My selections for testing should indicate that.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • ward91
    ward91 Posts: 338
    edited June 2008
    Options
    sherwood avr
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • ward91
    edited June 2008
    Options
    crown xs500 pro pa power amp rms output 1600 into 4ohm briged or 4oowpc at 8ohm. amd a messy table :)
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • ward91
    edited June 2008
    Options
    my old pa power amp
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the great review especially coverage of other listening materials that I don't usually listen to. I just ordered some teflon bypass caps, and hopefully, they will add a little more speed to facilitate the rocks. Overall, I am very happy with this $120 investment :-)

-fredv-
  • ward91
    edited June 2008
    Options
    vintage rotel ra402 tuner amp 2*25w
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2008
    Options
    stereo guts are cool.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ward91
    edited June 2008
    Options
    540r version 2 look its diferent to the other 540 posted earlier on
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • ward91
    edited June 2008
    Options
    a bit different but deffinetley interesting.

its the assembely from a hitachi projector , i took it apart hoping to fix it but part of the assembely had physicaly burnt on the surface of the glass/lense/thing
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • ward91
    edited June 2008
    Options
    marker wrote: »
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540R AVR :D

cambridge540r-inside.jpg

origonal 540r
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2008
    Options
    A heavyweight compared to most Blu-ray players. The BDP-S2000ES weighs 16.75 pounds compared to the typical 7 to 10 pounds for other players. The aluminum case top weighs 6 pounds, which is 35% of the players total weight. The BDP-S2000ES features extensive use of vibration damping construction and materials.

I found the picture and sound quality to be excellent.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Here is a couple of pics of the Anthem Amp One that I got from Noel(ND13),, just put some Jenzen oil caps in her and currently burning them in.You can see a couple ot em' peeking out from under the EL-34's. BTW, the wife helped with a couple of soldering tasks,,thank you Janice.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • brody05
    brody05 Posts: 329
    edited November 2008
    Options
    My baby, the Verastarr 6.4se with some upgrades.

IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited November 2008
    Options
    12-ish VDC space charge tubes glowin' in a Pete Millett hybrid headphone amp/preamp.
    Photography by our son (of course).

http://www.pmillett.com/hybrid_head.htm
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=507282&postcount=192
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Anyone interested in tube amplification (at a bargain price) might want to check these out. Bob periodically builds and sells these on ebay,he also gave a pair away at CarverFest 2008 that people are still buzzing about. If I ever try the tube route, I'd like to have them myself! ( it's a long thread and a large site, so, if they've been posted before, my bad!!:o)Geoff
    http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=5340
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Xiaofeng6 wrote: »

reported:rolleyes:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Pass%20B1.jpg
    Pass B1 Buffer Pre.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • CaligulaPolk
    CaligulaPolk Posts: 1,650
    edited January 2009
    Options
    1237934396_241eeace70.jpg

Here you go!! :p
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I love hi-fi guts.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Pass B1 Buffer Pre.
    Where is the amp's guts? Damn, i knew those things were simple on the inside, but wow.
  • Face
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Gaara wrote: »
    Where is the amp's guts? Damn, i knew those things were simple on the inside, but wow.
    You must be referring to this.

Aleph%205.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Here is a couple of pics of the Anthem Amp One that I got from Noel(ND13),, just put some Jenzen oil caps in her and currently burning them in.You can see a couple ot em' peeking out from under the EL-34's. BTW, the wife helped with a couple of soldering tasks,,thank you Janice.

Now thats the amp that has me wanting to go a new direction. Thanks George. Sweet amp:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Mike,

I need more info on the Pre and the Amp. Please.

I said please:D

Thanks,

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited January 2009
    Options

Sweet. That is quite the face plate, I also like the judicious use of heatsinks, probably needs it though.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2009
    Options

Aleph%205.jpg

Awesome work Mike,is that a Mini Aleph?
    I see you were one of the lucky ones to get in on the B1 board buy.They sold out very quickly.

Where did you source the nice looking chassis's if you don't mind me asking?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I wish I could take credit for either, but the B1 was Tim Rawson's own personal B1, and the amp is a F5. I can't believe how hot that sucker runs.

I can attempt to find out about the chassis for you, I really like that look also.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I wish I could take credit for either, but the B1 was Tim Rawson's own personal B1, and the amp is a F5.
    OOOH Yes the notorious Mr Rawson:D
    I can't believe how hot that sucker runs.
    They make nice little space heaters.I used to have a Pass Zen (second version and early sibling of the F5) and it was operating with close to 2 amps of bias current so it was a hottie.
    I can attempt to find out about the chassis for you, I really like that look also.
    Thanks that would be great, it's the one used for the B1 I'm interested in.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing