Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Options

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited January 2009
    Options
    There's a Rawson built Aleph 30 on the 'gon right now

1231039245.jpg.

Love the heat sinks.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited January 2009
    Options
    For your viewing pleasure, I am posting the guts from

1. Parasound HCA-2205AT (220W x 5 @ 8ohms)
    2. Adcom GFA-7807 (300W x 7 @ 8ohms)

I have quite a few amps and pre but I only have 2 pictures handy and they were taken at the time of dusting last time. I'll post more guts and asses pictures of audio gear later.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    WOW that adcom is packed in there. There's no room for even dust!

Dang, no lie there and the 2 transfers had to be squeezed in their to boot. No more room Oh lets turn them side ways. :D
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Mike,

I need more info on the Pre and the Amp. Please.

I said please:D

Thanks,

Scott

Damn, I knew I forgot to do something when I got home last night. Here's a link to the article Mr. Pass wrote regarding the B1. It sounds great Scott, you gotta hear mine. :D

How are you liking yours, Mike? Rawson's own B1, that's pretty cool. His is probably built with much better parts then mine, though. Still have to open mine up, I'll post it here when I do.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2009
    Options
    There's a Rawson built Aleph 30 on the 'gon right now
    I guess Nelson's lawyers haven't caught up to him yet.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    edited January 2009
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    I guess Nelson's lawyers haven't caught up to him yet.

You're not being serious are you? He gave those schematics out long ago as well as tons of insight and help. I get you're point about selling them though. I'm not sure where he stands. I'd guess as long as you aren't making a living selling clones of his stuff he's alright with it.

It's damn tempting...............but it's not in the cards right now.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2009
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    You're not being serious are you? He gave those schematics out long ago as well as tons of insight and help. I get you're point about selling them though. I'm not sure where he stands. I'd guess as long as you aren't making a living selling clones of his stuff he's alright with it.

It's damn tempting...............but it's not in the cards right now.

H9
    I'm not sure if Mr. Rawson will be making many, if any at all of Pass's designs.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Systems
    edited January 2009
    Options
    You're not being serious are you?
    Yes I am,NP has apparently indicated his displeasure with the amount of Mr Rawson's copies of his designs appearing on EBAY.
    He gave those schematics out long ago as well as tons of insight and help.
    Yes, he has been very generous in sharing his designs with the DIY crowd.They are considered his intellectual property and are meant for personal use only, not be used for commercial purposes.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I can see if someone is making a commercial endeavor and it seems Rawson is by the amount that do come up FS. One does wonder if the sellers just say it's a Rawson when it's actually not to add credibility to the DIY project FS.

Nothing wrong with building a clone and then moving it once you've moved on to something else, but I suspect as you do that Rawson has exhausted NP's goodwill and original intention of DIY.

H9
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs S.E.:D
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited January 2009
    Options
    This was recently covered on a couple forums. If you look at the prices Tim charges you will clearly see this is not a commercial endeavor. I have bought many amps from Tim and can say without a doubt he WAY undercharges for his time. For those who know Tim you know he does this in his spare time and this is not what he does for a living.

Not only this but you rarely see Tim selling a Aleph type amp. What happens is someone asks him to build them one, he does, and then they resell...many times for a profit. It seems like he sells alot, but really most are being resold. Go check Audiogon right now for Rawson and count how many are being sold by him...0/5. If he is selling one it is generally one that he personally used, like the B1 that Mike purchased.

There is ALOT of misinformation out there, for example on the DiyAudio thread they claim that all the sellers on Agon right now are actually Rawson in disguise...this is ridiculous. I have personally bought and sold from Jdubs and can attest he is NOT Rawson. As if Tim would go through the time to create fake accounts, and buy and sell gear to get to 100+ feedback...just to deceive and sell more amps.
  • Systems
    edited January 2009
    Options

Nothing wrong with building a clone and then moving it once you've moved on to something else, but I suspect as you do that Rawson has exhausted NP's goodwill and original intention of DIY.
    Exactly
    Gaara wrote: »
    As if Tim would go through the time to create fake accounts, and buy and sell gear to get to 100+ feedback...just to deceive and sell more amps.
    Agreed that doesn't seem logical,but there appears to be alot of his clones showing up so he must have built them.If not for profit then he must really like to do it for fun.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Lovely thread!
  • shondoman
    shondoman Posts: 27
    edited May 2009
    Options
    thats some sweet and powerful booty!!! out of my way im on booty patrol for HIGH END satisfaction let me plug in my speakers and explode yyyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!.........ONKYO BABYS GOT MY BACK
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Scott 222C semi-restored.
    A dandy little amplifier (push-pull 7189 outputs). I have one but it's not as pretty as this one that I re-habbed for a friend.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2009
    Options
    NAD 7155 receiver (pretty nice piece of kit)
  • engtaz
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Sweet. The Scott looks like new.
    engtaz

• mhardy6647
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I think its current owner got it inexpensively, with wooden case. The case is beautiful. Almost all original European tubes (new-er RCA outputs). My crappy photos do not do the amplifier justice. It is beautiful. Sounds good, too.
  • speakergeek
    edited May 2009
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Yep. Quite nice indeed.
  • speakergeek
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Must keep thread alive....:D
  • speakergeek
    edited May 2009
    Options
  • engtaz
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Great pics.
    engtaz

• rubin
    rubin Posts: 565
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Hey Zero,I still have my AMC stuff,preamp/power amp and still like it .Their products are not as popular though perhaps because of lack of advertismemt.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Heres whats driving the 2.3 tl''s
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,002
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Vintage Nikko Alpha VI (1980 & all original)...300w dual mono supplies plenty of horses!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,002
    edited May 2009
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

What year is the NAD? Sure is purdy! How much power does she put out?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Systems
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I sold those in the mid to late 80's.I believe its rated conservatively at 55watts but with 6db of dynamic headroom.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2009
    Options

No idea; I found it at the dump :-)
    It has been passed on to another Polk Forum member to enjoy.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2009
    Options
    speaking of dump finds: Howzabout a vintage (1984) "silver-faced" Sony CDP-111. What a monstrosity.

CDP-111threequarters.jpg
    CDP-111innards.jpg

As found, complete with the ingested Kenny G holiday CD :-P

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/CDP456ES/CDP456ES.html
  • speakergeek
    edited May 2009
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Great pics.

Thanks!:cool: