Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Options

Comments

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    Ah. Nothing fancy on the Nak end. Just a venerable CD-4. It's my favorite consumer model I've had over the years.

Amp is a Yamaha P2250. Best I can do as a thrifty audio person. Goal in the coming year or two is:

- Get DAC.

- Get a new pre that can love my blasphemous EQ.

- Get rid of my two P2250 and break into the $500-$800 range for something better used.

- Will try some albums on my turntables later on. After I rebuild my phono pre (don't laugh, it's a Raalistic and it does just fine).
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    digital out to the Yamaha HTR-5960
    Now, there's some real quality...LOL

This thread is an embarrassment to the forum.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    Options
    Ah. Nothing fancy on the Nak end. Just a venerable CD-4. It's my favorite consumer model I've had over the years.

Amp is a Yamaha P2250. Best I can do as a thrifty audio person. Goal in the coming year or two is:

- Get DAC.

- Get a new pre that can love my blasphemous EQ.

- Get rid of my two P2250 and break into the $500-$800 range for something better used.

- Will try some albums on my turntables later on. After I rebuild my phono pre (don't laugh, it's a Raalistic and it does just fine).

That 2250 is no slouch.
    Another one to bi-amp and you's be all set.
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 687
    edited February 2023
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    That 2250 is no slouch.
    Another one to bi-amp and you's be all set.

I wondered what it would take to make the crossovers bi-ampable... but I didn't want to start that potential firestorm yet [laughs].

Out of the equipment I've been able to afford over my life, the P2250 + the HTR-5960 as a pre + my sturdy ol' Nakamichi CD is the best combo I've had to privilege to own.

Since losing my job at the place I worked at for almost half my life (during year one of the pandemic), and spending the next year and a half under and unemployed, I'm so very, very pleased I have what I have now. And grateful to have what I have for myself and my family.

Between my thrifting and the generosity of friends and near-strangers, I built up a system that I am proud of. My dream amp since I was 13 was the home version of the P2250 (with the Knight Rider red light bars). That I have the roadie version makes me happy. It only took... oh... 39 years to get it =)

And I get to continue to share listening to a stereo with my daughters. Only now with 100% more SDA W-O-W.

Over the past, I dunno... 8 years? I put together and gave away at least 6 stereos for friends and co-workers (a wedding present here, a going-to-college dorm rocker there, and systems for people who needed cheering up, or could use a little boost during a rough patch). I've also given away separate sets of speakers, turntables, and CD players to people who are not as fortunate as I am. Friends and family know I do this, and they'll sometimes donate to the cause if I'm searching for a piece to complete a setup for someone.

So, yeah. The P2250 is no slouch.

I listened to it tonight with a friend who is a Definitive and Adcom guy. He was impressed by the sound. We enjoyed talking about how the vibrations of strings sounded on Hotel California and Wish You Were Here. It was great fun. The soundstage blew him away. I'm still in shock by it myself.

And I thank you for your contribution to this wonderful experience, Skip!

I'm totally making a list of all the people who helped (and how) to put on a paper to seal inside the cabs. I might 3D print it for durability. Like a kind of plaque.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    Options
    Only now with 100% more SDA W-O-W.

Funny considering there is no way you know this…

bzxctd1oohlg.gif

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,683
    Options
    For an SDA veteran, you should know that the IC cable demonstrates 0 vs 100% SDA operation.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    edited February 2023
    Options
    There is no way he knows he is getting 100% more SDA..
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    100% more SDA than his M12's !
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    [looks at responses]

[thinks]

I have 100% more SDA W-O-W in my life because I had zero before. So any kind is more. That's a binary operation there, right?

ztaz2sa0zc22.gif

Oh, hey! Thanks, Bit!

I loved you on the big screen, and even when you had to take that job on Automan. Don't let those quantum states get you down.
  • plastic_avatar
    edited February 2023
    Options
    By ear and by those numbers, how did my M12 and 1C compare?

Gardenstater found a mistake in my compiling of eval forms, so I went back removed an extra entry and deleted 2 that didn't have the right match for a pair.

(I did 3 complete evaluations on the 1C, of 15 songs each, during the from-bench, adjust, and tear-down phases. I crossed streams on 3 entries when I put it all together. Number data is not my primary language.)

The evaluation was done at my listening position at -40 on the dial. That is my 'singers are as loud as normal speaking in the room' setting. It's where I listen to music most when working or entertaining. I go between -20 and -30 when I'm listening for impact over critique.

Here are the totals (thank you GS!):

2krpnr80mzmb.jpeg

If you read my notes in a previous post, you'll see my biggest complaint was the sound level on the 1C seemed lower than the M12 at -40.

I can say, after a day of fiddling around and new comparisons, getting to -35 to -30 on the 1C causes them to blossom.

The M12 is a fairly linear experience. It just gets louder from -40 to -20. Everything is the same, just louder.

The 1C bloom. Hard to explain. It's like they open up and give me more of everything, not just volume. I was very surprised. I didn't expect that visceral feeling as the volume brought the level up to, and past parity with the M12.

Do other SDA owners understand what I'm saying?
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,583
    Options

Do other SDA owners understand what I'm saying?

This is why I’m not quite getting the comparison to your Monitor 12s. Wouldn’t SDA 1Cs beat M12s all day long stock for stock?
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,180
    edited February 2023
    Options
    One would hope so. I'm sure he will answer but is curiosity a valid reason? And I admire his valiant attempt to come up with a way of objectively coming up with a quantitative comparison for different aspects of quality of sound. He also has some sort of baseline to compare future mods he does to the 1C's (Yes there will be more mwah ha ha) and to the M12's.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    The 1C's should be harder to push than the M12's. Run an ohm-meter across a set of binding posts on each and get a baseline difference.
    The wuhans will take a longer break-in time due to their stiff diaphragm surrounds, then sound clearer.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Wouldn’t SDA 1Cs beat M12s all day long stock for stock?

I understand what you mean! Thank you for bringing that up.

Evaluating the bits is how I'm attempting to measure not just the SDA signal-specific difference vs. a great stereo image w/ the M12, but the qualities of the reproduction that I can try to compare directly.

And since all the mods I've done are untested en masse, it's entirely possible any one of them could've affected any portion of the sound in a way that meant the associated attribute would be worse than the M12.

And the treble comparison is a huge question mark. The modded Wuhans are an unknown.

I thought it would help with questions others have about whether what I did was worth it to me =)

Does that help explain it?
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    One would hope so. I'm sure he will answer but is curiosity a valid reason? And I admire his valiant attempt to come up with a way of objectively coming up with a quantitative comparison for different aspects of quality of sound. He also has some sort of baseline to compare future mods he does to the 1C's (Yes there will be more mwah ha ha) and to the M12's.

Sure, it is. And baselining the current state of the 1Cs is also valid. But, as far as the comparisons to the 12s go, I’d be good after the first song or two once I felt like the 1Cs had clubbed the 12s like a baby seal the way they’re supposed to.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Gardenstater
    edited February 2023
    Options
    It wasn't actually that cut and dried and varied from song to song (seal to seal?). You can see that if you check his data pdf. Like he said he did some very untried and true mods (or in their infancy?) and the wuhan tweeter comparison to the RD0194s in the M12s is very much of interest, both now and when they have broken in more. They are similar sized speakers with the same number of MWs and a large passive. You can say you would expect them to be better but that doesn't necessarily apply to his modded 1C's and I think it is interesting. I admire the humility and honesty and curiosity.

PS: Would you have expected the bass clarity to be 40% better? You knew that was going to be the outcome?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Wouldn’t SDA 1Cs beat M12s all day long stock for stock?

I understand what you mean! Thank you for bringing that up.

Evaluating the bits is how I'm attempting to measure not just the SDA signal-specific difference vs. a great stereo image w/ the M12, but the qualities of the reproduction that I can try to compare directly.

And since all the mods I've done are untested en masse, it's entirely possible any one of them could've affected any portion of the sound in a way that meant the associated attribute would be worse than the M12.

And the treble comparison is a huge question mark. The modded Wuhans are an unknown.

I thought it would help with questions others have about whether what I did was worth it to me =)

Does that help explain it?

It does clarify things, yes.

Brian

• bcwsrt
    Options

PS: Would you have expected the bass clarity to be 40% better? You knew that was going to be the outcome?

I don’t recall where I said that. But I only rely on my ears and they don’t measure percentage differences.

He said everything else more eloquently, himself. I’m not bashing. It was just a question that I didn’t see addressed before. It may have been or been inferred and I missed it. My bad, if so.

Back to your regularly scheduled program …
    Brian

• Gardenstater
    Options

I don’t recall where I said that. But I only rely on my ears and they don’t measure percentage differences.

He said everything else more eloquently, himself. I’m not bashing. It was just a question that I didn’t see addressed before. It may have been or been inferred and I missed it. My bad, if so.

Back to your regularly scheduled program …

Yeah man have a good one. I'd want to compare my new speakers to my old ones and it's cool the way he did it. I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that even an unmodded 1C would trounce an M12 in every single aspect of sound quality, and equally. We don't hear percentages but our brains try to quantify how much better something is.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I'm so thankful to have you guys to talk this through with.

I appreciate your thoughts and questions more than you know.

This has been a helluva slog. Here at the end of this almost year-long process, I need to make sure I'm understood. And that I'm looking at the results as objectively as I can manage- for my own satisfaction.

And that poor baby seal =(

I prefer the Wuhans in the 1C to the 198 in the M12. I know, the Wuhans scored lower on clarity, but the double-tweeter transition from the mids makes the treble buttery. I prefer them on the 1C, even if there's a high end twinkle that's not as bright.

And the off-center stereo image is nuts.

Poor baby seal...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    If the volume wasn't the same for both, then the comparison means nothing. Plus, your numbers are arbitrary and only mean something to you, since you don't really expound upon how the numbers correlate to what you are hearing.

It's great you took the time to share, but it really means nothing to us. They are (2) completely different designs. One is a truly time aligned design, the other is SDA. The design principles between the speakers are about as far apart as one can get.

And you are comparing parts (Wuhan vs. 198 as one example) in 2 completely different speakers. All that means is in your situation in your over modded speakers you prefer one speaker to another (not component). You would need to compare the 2 tweeters in the same speaker to make any sort of educated opinion.

The two speakers are so different that you can't compare them side by side as being the same only with different parts.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xschop
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I had to laugh at "over-modded". Perhaps your 1C's are under-modded as a baseline?
  • plastic_avatar
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I get what you're saying.

This is, when we boil it down, a test between how speaker X performs for me (and mine) vs speaker Y.

It's no different, really than anyone buying a speaker they never heard and comparing it to what they already have.

That^ happens all the time, and I don't think the reviews from all those people are useless.

Because this is such a strange task, I tried to make the evaluation part of this project as clear and comprehensive as I can manage. I absolutely could add more on the notes, so I've tried to fill in gaps in post. Some of which I answered in direct messages outside the thread.

The wrinkle is all the mods thrown at the project.

Any one could be a negative that would make speaker X more enjoyable. One day, I hope I have access to a non-wrecked pair of 1C to compare. Since this turned out to be a kind of junkyard hot-rodding, I'd love to hear a stock copy in good repair.

So!

I thought at some point this year it would be great to have people with less-modded pairs team up with me for some remote measurements. 2000s, 194s, and Wuhans. Bare baskets, dynamatted, dynamatted and foamed. Etc.

We'd have to account for qualities from different cap brands in the crossovers, but I think it'd be a fun additional set of data.

For now, trying to be as objective as I can be is the best I can do for anyone. And I'm happy with the results so far, am still working on them, and appreciate all the help from everyone.

(On the volume difference. I left it the same so I could rate how the sound and eval might change when I get the volume matched. I took a lot of measurements on an analyzer yesterday, and think I have the appropriate level dialed in. I was going to go back and reevaluate on my form, but life said spend time with the family, so I did.)
  • Gardenstater
    edited February 2023
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    It's great you took the time to share, but it really means nothing to us. They are (2) completely different designs. One is a truly time aligned design, the other is SDA. The design principles between the speakers are about as far apart as one can get.

Who is "us"? There are an awful lot of people out there. I found it interesting, especially his methodology. He rated each of 14 songs on a scale of 1 to 10 (0 to 10?) on the above categories of sound quality.

I would even be interested in hearing about your feelings regarding how brand new Legend L600s sound compared to undermodded 1C's. Just pokin' a lil' fun there which is fairplay since you haven't heard the alleged "overmodded" 1C's. :)

Oh and I have never heard that the Monitor 12 was time aligned and it would surprise me since all drivers are mounted on the baffle, without the tweeter being recessed.

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • heiney9
    Options
    I just realized he has the M12, I was thinking RTA-12 when I wrote that. The fact that the levels were mismatched means his 1-10 ratings are moot. Apples to Oranges.

He directly compared components in each (completely different and mismatched levels) speakers and stated he preferred one component over another (not one speaker over the other). Apple and Oranges.

I have no way of really competently comparing my 1C's to the L600's side by side. I can only comment on general differences based on my experiences in my listening space w/ultra familiar material.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xschop
    Options
    L600's = 0% SDA
  • heiney9
    Options
    SDA 1C = 100% SDA
  • xschop
    Options
    SDA 1C + IC cable = 100% SDA ;)
  • Gardenstater
    edited February 2023
    Options
    When you do talk about the L600 experience for you vs your SDA 1C's be careful not to say things like the vocals are clearer, or the mids are clearer, or that you like the ring radiator tweeter better than the RD0194 ;)

Also, he mentioned already that the slightly mismatched volumes (1C's were generally lower) were a flaw in his study but generally speaking when A/B comparisons are made, people are usually biased somewhat towards choosing the louder one, not the quieter one.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS