Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Options

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it did negatively effect the performance of SDA.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited February 2023
    Options
    nm

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2023
    Options
    No I did not even contemplate phase plugs at that time. I had a set of CRS+ single tweeter that I customized after experimenting with driver spacing. The factory tweeter sounded very good close to the stereo driver. TOO AIRY in factory location.
    I had a Bob Barker moment and traded them and moved on. I wish I had kept and plugged them because the MWs were also closer together, but not touching.

That said, if DK adds felt and still has a 7khz anomaly and loss of some center stage, then we can conclude that the plugs are not ideal in the CRS+.

I have recently held off plugging a set of SDA SRS-2s until this unknown is resolute.

If someone wants to try in their SDA-2Bs, I would be glad to plug them and revert them if they find similar issue..

I had converted my 8TLs to SDAs with phase plugged drivers and cabinets on their sides with incredible sound stage and imaging.
    So I believe tweeter position to stereo driver is critical with the plugs.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it did negatively effect the performance of SDA.

If that's so, then that's amazing. The sound as they are is so wide. It's great hearing something that goes to the walls, and sometimes beyond them.

Thought that an evaluation someone could do would be:

- phase plug the stereo drivers, but leave the SDA drivers as-is, or

- plug only the lower stereo driver, etc.

The best I can do right now is to experiment with diffusers of some kind between the mids and tweets (and maybe mids and mids).

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Why would you need dynamat on the driver baskets if you are just going to foam them?

Matting on outside to dampen resonance.

Foam inside to help tame reflections bouncing off all those flat surfaces and back through the cone.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Well, I will say this for this thread -- it's led me to pull out the small but sincere collection of Neil Diamond LPs here and spin a couple...
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    @mhardy6647 Surely there's a small craving for onion rings, peach pies, or culturally-significant hotdogs in there, too?

It's o.k. if not, but a lot of good came out of that section.

[goes to see if I still have that Neil Diamond CD that was in the sell pile]
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    I, on behalf of the entire Polk Forum, want to personally thank plastic_avatar on the fine work and dedication he has put into this endeavor of his to restore his Polk SDA 1c's, and sharing in great detail those efforts with the rest of the forum. No doubt his journey has been long and filled with potholes along the way, but the path he has taken should serve as an inspiration of what NOT to do when restoring and upgrading vintage Polk speakers.

May this thread live on forever as a means to enlighten those that follow in the art of what a disaster overthinking a simple weekend project can become.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Is it true that you didn't even install Dynamat on the baskets of your 1.2tl's? :)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Is it true that you didn't even install Dynamat on the baskets of your 1.2tl's? :)

Had the material, never had the time...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    Options

So 1nut has you 1-up on mods lol.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options

I think we can all agree that sometimes simple weekend projects might take longer than expected to finish.
  • Gardenstater
    Options

Well those were big speakers. If a 1C can have every mod worthwhile done on it in a weekend, how long would it take with those?

You only had between Jan 2013 and Nov 2021 so I can see your point :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    At what point do "mods" to a speaker become so extensive and numerous that the speakers is so far from original design and intent that it can't be considered a modification of the original and is now something entirely different?

The thing to realize and understand is that most commercial products that are priced so people can afford them are already far from original design and intent simply due to cost considerations and parts availability. The original design is the ideal. The manufactured realization is often watered down with cost cutting and parts availability compromises.

The first mods I did to my SDA 1Bs in 1990 were done under the guidance and advice of Polk's engineering department. I was told where Polk made (numerous) design compromises to cut costs and I was advised on what to do to mitigate those design compromises. I was further offered suggestions on premium crossover parts selections that were too costly or simply unavailable in manufacturing lot quantities at that time. In that regard, the (numerous) mods I have done to my SDAs have brought them much closer to Polk's original design intent and performance goals.

My crossover modifications used the original schematics. I just substituted higher quality parts made with better materials and better manufacturing techniques. My cabinet and driver basket modifications just added more vibration damping.

My modded SDAs are not entirely different. They are entirely better and higher performing with more clarity, more detail, more image stability, and more stereophonic performance.

I liken the difference to a bodybuilder who uses improved nutrition and exercise to increase health, strength, muscle definition, and muscle mass to transform their body into a healthier, improved version of itself. This contrasts with bodybuilders who abuse steroids to the point that they look remotely human and have a host of heart, circulatory, joint, and mental problems.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    As long as the OP is happy with his work and the final auditory results are pleasing to him I'm happy for him. And you have to admit he takes a punch really well! Unlike a lot of members both past and present.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • skipshot12
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    ^ Could be said for any mod I reckon…
    Once we do our first mod we’ve taken away from the original.
    Comes down to individual tastes & perceptions at that point.

Incorrect.

Most if not all Speaker companies do not put excellent crossover components in their crossovers due to cost over thousands or 10's of thousands of units. You should take a look at some Legacy audio crossovers, for a speaker costing tens of thousands of dollars they too have some pretty generic XO components on board. When you're looking at saving 40-50+ dollars per XO that translates to tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in the end. If you tighten up the tolerences of caps and resistors from 10-15% to 3-5% and some are 1% tolerence you can definitely make a dramatic difference without changing the intent of said speaker. In the beginning it was Matt Polk himself who told us the best thing we could do was better tighter tolerence caps,resistors and inductors would give us a better presentation of his speakers. He basically said he had to make consessions to be able to bring his stuff to market and still be affordable to the masses.

I agree with this mostly.

While using tighter tolerances on caps and such one's not changing the sound of the speaker, provided the same type components and manufacturers are used. If the original crossover was voiced with a Panasonic electrolytic cap @ 10% tolerance going to a 5% or lower tolerance changes zip.
    But go to a Mundorf, or any manufacturer of your choice, film cap we now have a change.

Take the same speaker and change components of differing construction (uprades) I would think the original designer would want to voice said speaker, with these higher grade parts, to align with the original sound he had in mind.

Once we start with film caps and different resistor designs we're changing the sound of the speaker.
    And... we are changing the sound to our likes as to what we want more of and what we want less of based on preferences.
    Good example of this is some folks prefer the sound of the speaker with Solen & Mills. Some prefer Clarity & your choice here, etc......

Understand the cost point to be able to sell a speaker at a given price.

I agree to disagree..... 😬
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    o9q1n758j80t.jpeg
    Trying out Vr3's felt/wool pads.

Not sure yet of differences yet. Just some quick listens to things. There might be a little more focus on some of the higher-frequency sounds in Hotel California, especially in the soundstage outside the boundaries of the physical speakers. Will listen more critically tomorrow.

Gain

Before I velcro'd those on, I had to bump my gain up one notch on the right to center the image better. I have very different walls on the left and right. I thought things were slanted to the left a little. My youngest verified. The SDA reached further off to the left than the right, and voices that should be centered were between the left speaker and center.

Ohms for the poor

I've got my meter out. Going to see how these things read later.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    ^ Interesting.
    I'm listening.....
  • xschop
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Those look like factory parts. Nice addition, and look forward to your impressions. I believe this will take out any phase plug interaction/diffraction with the tweets.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    My reversed 1C crossover holder

Hey nerds.

Not feeling hot, so not a lot of listening to compare felt/no felt. I'll get to it.

I had to sit in front of the computer just now, so I re-did the screw locations. I'll swap my old ones out when I get around to those new inductors this year. These will be a lot easier to manage, since you mount the board outside of the speaker and then mount the holder. Duh =)

If anyone wants a copy of the 3D file for it, the link is below. I'll put up the Wuhan plates and other stuff soon.

x57di1p0kpeb.png
    0950915c671u.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S11wet57oIYxj3XyZBPG5rIa6b1onHJl/view?usp=sharing
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Music on tap

My fun money this past 2 weeks went to buy the new Tove Lo and ye olde Herbie Hancock Headhunters CDs.

Tove is for fun. I also want to support artists who make an impact on how I feel (her song Grapefruit is meaningful to me).

Herbie is to see if I can establish my own baselines for placement, room, and tweaks. I honestly don't get jazz. I'm not a musician. I don't have math brain. A childhood friend, Jamal Milner (a stellar blues, jazz, and whatever-the-heck-you-throw-at-him professional guitarist), suggested some easy jazz for me to cut my teeth on years ago. I never graduated to be comfortable with the kind of jazz that makes me think life has no meaning and all is chaos...

I'm using Herbie as a ref because of DK's excellent write-up on his experience with the album in his space with his Olympian setup via https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/197520/crs-1989-driver-phase-plug-and-aluminum-tweeter-plate-modifications#latest (his write-up is towards the bottom of that page).

I don't expect that^ from my untreated, unfinished room and thrifty setup, but it gives me a reference for how good the song Chameleon can sound on an uber system. AND it lays out where and how the elements are placed in the sound field. It's a great reference write-up, and very useful, imo. I wish there was a catalog of entries that detailed in the SDA music thread. Different models, different songs, detailed write-ups to reference for other users.

Anyhow!

Odds and ends

Grease.

The soundtrack.

My youngest loves the movie. Like, L-O-V-E-S it. So, we've listened to the CD a couple of times this week. So clear, so fun, so... one-dimensional compared to say, American Breakfast. That's a totally stupid comparison, but going from that to Grease was odd to my ears. Once I acclimated, it was wonderful, clear, balanced, and fun. And it was, well, yes, wonderful. Loud, it didn't hurt like, say, my grating Rti10. There wasn't any fatigue. It was just a good time that made us feel good =)

But,

Adjusting between a great mix and a bad one is more jarring than on the M12. Even an average mix on 1 element is rough.

Listening to Walking in Your Footsteps (The Police) is pleasant and airy, but Sting's voice is back too far in the plane between speakers.

Switching to Numb (Portishead) is like someone turned on the stage lights. The lead's voice is easily a foot or 2 in front of the center of the speaker plane. I was really surprised. I put that on for my wife. It sounded amazing.

I think my ideal setup might be to build some insane lazy-Susan platter where I can rotate the 1C out and swing in the M12 (w/ better caps, because I'm now fairly certain the Daytons did no favors to the upper midrange). Best of both worlds, for me.

C'mon lottery...

Ohms

Speakers read between 4.1 and 3.9 via the meter at the terminals, in case anyone cares to know.

Would the phase plugs lower overall impedance, potentially?

Have any of you other 1C guys measured the ohms at the terminals? If so, what is your reading?

czkaatpdeb3l.jpeg

Room treatment

Best I can do this Spring is look for $20 5x8 rugs at Aldi to put on my front and right walls.

The left image is definitely improved by all the stuff to snag reflections on the left.

And my stereo cab extends past the plane of the right speaker.

e2jbdf5jblxf.jpeg
    xozc1idyryt7.jpeg
    4pebbwcdo1gz.jpeg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited February 2023
    Options
    My local audio bud Steve has been building a bunch of these and we had 5 of them in my office listening room to great effect. They are self standing but are best with a stand underneath them to raise them up or you can stack two of them vertically.

American Breakfast =(?) Breakfast in America :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqXOLOy4jnU
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Ha!

I was craving a German breakfast today. Like, bigly mucho craving.

Rona brain, love it =P
  • heiney9
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Impedance varies with frequency, so simply putting a meter across the terminals won't give you the any sort of answer as to what the speaker impedance is.

the effective resistance of an electric circuit or component to alternating current, arising from the combined effects of ohmic resistance and reactance.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xschop
    Options
    It would give him a baseline to judge if someone else posts their 1C's DCR, would it not?

• heiney9
    Options
    Except it's a meaningless measurement. It tells nothing.

H9
  • xschop
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Except it's a meaningless measurement. It tells nothing.

H9

Kinda like freq. response graphs that don't convey sound quality?
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 687
    edited February 2023
    Options
    How would a meaningful measurement be made?

Could you recommend a way to take some measurements that would be worth doing? Could they be done with a voltmeter and without specialized equipment?

I thought a reading at the terminals would be something, but it would be great to have someone who knows more help!

Got an outline of how we could do it?

Or if any measurements matter?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited February 2023
    Options
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Here's how to measure your speaker's impedance:

1). you'll need: an audio signal generator, an audio amplifier of moderate power, a volt/ohm meter and a 2.0K ohm resistor of at least .5 watts power.
    2). using the volt/ohm meter measure the actual resistance of the resistor, for this example let's say it measures exactly 2.0K ohms.
    3). use speaker wire to wire between the amplifier and the speaker with the resistor placed in series with the positive wire. Place the volt/ohm meter with a probe on either side of the resistor with the meter set to read AC voltage.
    4). set the audio generator to 400Hz and adjust the volume until the meter shows 10 Volts. To calculate the current flowing through the resistor at this frequency divide 10 Volts by 2,000 Ohms (keep in mind your particular resistor might be higher or lower than this example and you would divide by that amount). For this example you would get 0.005 Ampere, moving the decimal to the right 3 places gives 5.0mA of current. Now this gives you a constant current source to drive the speaker.
    5). place the meter's probe across the speakers positive and negative terminals and measure the AC voltage. For this example let's say it reads 0.5 Volts. You would take our current value (0.005 Ampere) and divide by 0.5 Volts which would give an impedance of 10 Ohms at 400Hz. You would take whatever voltage you read and divide it by the actual measured resistance of the resistor.
    6). repeat this procedure for all of the frequencies you want to know the impedance. The frequencies that gives the highest voltage readings would be the resonant peaks. The frequencies that give the lowest voltage reading would be the low impedance frequency points.