Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Options

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    Options
    I checked the manual and they do stress that the speakers will have better bass response when placed close to the rear wall. Hopefully there are no leaks and you just have your M12s closer to the wall than your 1Cs:

jrisjntcfdco.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 687
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Same distance. Roughly same position, but M12 were toed-in.

15.5 inches from wall.

Eventually, I'll replace the tv stand and stereo rack with shallower pieces.

I'll move the M12 out and put the 1C back 7+ inches before I do the full comparison tests this week.

They sound so frakking clear compared to the M12, the Rti10, and my homegrowns, even out from the wall and before I'm sure all is as it should be. That live Hotel California from CD is just astonishingly clear.

After I finish this phase for the 1C, and after I complete the tweaked 5B, I might re-do the M12 crossovers with Clarity caps, do the same mods, and see what they sound like then. Having 3 setups for SDA, stereo, and near(er) field would be a cool thing to have =)

I'll report back after tomorrow. I have an unrelated project to wrap up.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    They sound so frakking clear compared to the M12, the Rti10, and my homegrowns, even out from the wall and before I'm sure all is as it should be. That live Hotel California from CD is just astonishingly clear.

That's what pluggin' and foamin' do. ✌

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    The Hotel California cut- very clear, well recorded, and the low conga beat can shake the room even with my little 12's. Your neighbors should be looking around when you play that one.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Haven’t heard hotel California on my Polk’s yet. Need to give it a go.

^ Is the conga beat you’re talking about on the live version?
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    Yes. Eagles, Hell Freezes Over
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    Too bad all live recordings didn't sound that good.
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    Also, @plastic_avatar the congas and timbales on that cut are tuned instruments. You should be able to hear a specific pitch for each. I found that the @xschop phase plugs improved my speakers ability to reproduce the pitch of percussion instruments like those mentioned above, steel drums, timpani etc.
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Closer to recommended position.

q0kmgkape48i.jpeg
    I understand objects interfere with SDA. Best I can manage at the moment.

@Jazzhead It's a beautifully recorded CD, and new to me this year. Those guitars are fantastic.

I just put The Gereg by The Hu in, as background music to celebrate the 1C getting into position, while I worked. A fair to good studio mix following that Eagles CD, @invalid, made me frown a little bit [sadface]. Note to self: Listen to lesser mixes first when in a queue...

But I know I need to adjust something... because my thump und thwack is different from bench> burn-in> realizing I had wires crossed to terminals> SDA coming to life> moving into testing position. Gardenstater and xschop have a list of things for me to diagnose =P

Initial thoughts just messing around while I figure things out before actual evaluation

- The tone, Lordy, is wonderful.
    - The highs are smooth and pleasant.
    - The highs probably miss a little 198 sparkle, but they're so much better to listen to (for me) than a 2000.
    - The midrange fill is clear and easy to enjoy.
    - Imaging and depth are pretty frakking good.
    - The bass is there, just not as forceful as expected (based on M12 performance). Much testing/teardown in my future (starting tomorrow).
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I would also be curious if the M12 were easier to drive than the 1Cs.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Are you finished?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Are you finished destroying your speakers?

Fixed it for ya

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    @txcoastal1 Almost! [makes whining noises]

I'm going to:

- double-check my wires from the crossover to the bass inductor

- double-check polarity on mids

- go back and seal the terminal plates from the inside completely

- check for air leaks around my custom tweeter plates

- put a bead of goop on the interior seams while I've got everything out for the final checks.

I really miss the finality and assurances of sealing with Mortite =\

I guess I can look into the gain settings on my amp, too? Hadn't thought about changes to that with different speakers. Anyone with advice on that, hit me!
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Success!

5 hour teardown.
    Leak test a-o.k.
    Upper SDA mid in each needed wires swapped.
    Both tweeters on right out of phase.

Holy moly. There's my bass! And the right side matches the left better, duh. I thought the difference in sides was wall 'treatment' on the left. Nope.

@Jazzhead I get the skins now that I found my bass =)

(I know these are phone recordings in a cluttered room, but...)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x_ardtdUXxuLj6hPufTk3svVlqc0VFde/view?usp=drivesdk

And a little Rage for the wild Krankus haunting my chimney;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ND9EevY63ZjJnWcLtA9mtLPW1KGP6ge/view?usp=drivesdk

Failure never sounded so good.

Now to finish the eval this week, and compare the data.
  • xschop
    Options
    Failure is a term reserved only for those who surrender.

Great job resurrecting these gems.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Nice man I'm happy for ya! Destroying your speakers never sounded so good lol! Super clear wood knocks on Hotel California.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I started with a Stonehenge arrangement for working on the right speaker atop the left (so I didn't have to bend over to work.

After 3 hours on that one, the last 2 were me working on the right speaker on the floor like the stubborn guy I am. I couldn't stand nor sit anymore while I worked, so laying on the floor, it was!

9iozl95gkj04.jpeg
    klatzzz55mbq.jpeg
    d0zmfw9t7pjd.jpeg
    Eval data after this weekend, likely.
  • xschop
    Options
    Congrats are in order. You completely rebuilt and modded a full set of SDA's faster than F1 could install a set of tweeter plates.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Aaaaaah more better.
    Bass sounded good thru my Apple earbuds plugged into the computer.
    Great job.
  • Gardenstater
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I can definitely hear a nice tight thump on the HC. Phone mics generally not that good for bass. Bass might be more if you removed those grilles that are behind the speakers. I don't know how much they would attenuate but something to try.....

Will be interesting to compare in the future if you swap out the sub bass inductors for a larger awg one, maybe even a foil one.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I'm more intrigued by the inductors now than I was.

I'd talked myself out of them.

Now I've listened myself back in =P

Grilles are just there to hide my wires [chuckles]. I'll remove them to match to the M12 setup.
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    If you can access a good quality version, crank Trombone Shorty's "Big 12" off of For True. I haven't heard it on SDA, but it's recorded with big dynamics, and excellent reproduction of brass instruments.
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    As someone else mentioned elsewhere, one of my go to ones for system testing is Soolaimon by Neil Diamond, preferably the hi rez version.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Anecdotal evaluation, as critical as I could manage for myself

If you want to know how I evaluated the speakers, and what the data looks like on graphs, here you go, nerds =)

I was surprised by my results in places. I'll talk about that in a follow-up.

All songs on CDs, burned from FLACs, played on my Nakamichi player, digital out to the Yamaha HTR-5960 I'm using as a pre, set to Direct, volume at -40 (I really don't like Yamaha's volume system), amp set to same gain levels for both speakers.

PDF has graphical representations of my scoring.

Notes

M12 is first, 1C is second:

Get Back: Recording probably has a lot to do with the refinement of the mix.

Get Back: Need to double-check speakers, but nice. Volume. Needs a little more.
    Heard it through the grapevine: Vocals are recessed, like Get Back. This first listen is at 40 on my dial. Might contribute, and bass is hidden back at this volume on this mix.

Heard it from the grapevine: Volume again. I worry about treble, then something nice jumps out... like the violins at the end.
    Ramble On: Better mix than Get Back and Grapevine.. Voice a little more to the surface, but still a little obscured. Sources don't exactly feel like a whole.

Ramble On: That was nice. Plant still sounds subdued, but it seems to more match the recording. Some parts were legit 3 feet outside the speakers. Volume... Like to rate turned up 5...
    Anoana: Newer, better recording that absolutely wanted the low end to come through. And it does at this volume. Main voice still a little trapped in a plane between the 2 speakers, neither forward or behind.

Anoana: Voices recessed compared to the rest.. low end and mid fill very rich. wonder if volume would affect.
    Prison Sex: Soundstage was from ls to rs, but pieces weren't... nice? They were just there. Sure cymbals hit different speakers, but meh for ss. Bass there, but more like a feeling than defined, except at the end. Drums sound muted.

Prison Sex: Creak at beginning was good. There's the low end. Needs volume. Pretty much background level.
    Tears of a Clown: Sounds like music is missing, bass guitar, horn blurts. Too bright.

Tears of a clown: There is a piece missing in this mix... A blurt and a carnival sound... Voice is bright. Pieces aren't really a mix.
    Whole Lotta Love: What a great recording. Nothing on my personal list comes close. If the 1C do better, that's a win. Vocals still on a restricted plane inbetween speakers. Drums obscured, but separation of everything else was great.

Whole lotta love: Well now. This slightly skews the 1c a little higher on all its graphs, if used. This wasn't in the original data. I left it out somehow. Wooooo, baby. Sound to the walls, and the rotating sound felt like it was both going through my head and above it. Voices on all Zep's old stuff has his voice too far back, though. Same for old Stone's recordings. Mixes of the times?
    Money: Very low gain compared to other recordings. Everything was small sounding. Like a band of tiny people playing tiny instruments. Treble was pleasant, but not scintillating. Voices still a little muted.

Money: Even subdued, everything was clear.
    ----/
    The Chain: There's info missing. Same volume as Money. Can't make out the bass.. Vocals smushed together. hard to make Stevie out until the end. But the voices are just suppressed. It almost worked, but didn't. Drums sounded like a drum machine.

The Chain: Voices still mushed. When bass hit at 3:20, you can hear the strings undulate as they vibrate. Super nice. Will likely change impact at higher volume. It's a low mix for dynamism.
    When Doves Cry: I know this song. It's missing something. The richness of the guitarist's voice is missing. Highs are fine, but keyboard is muted. His bype'ing seemed low. Sounded thin, like something was missing.

When Doves Cry: Rhythm guitarist's voice sounds right! Recording is subdued. Vocals a little back from where I want them. Not a super dynamic experience. Wonder if more volume would help. Voices very pleasant, just want more.
    In Bloom: Might be the grunge, but it was kind of fuzzy until the quiet parts. Voice was clear, but not as forward as I wanted. Bass guitar low.

In Bloom: It's all there, just... grungy.
    Killing in the name of: Wow. This was great. Everything better than most other recordings. These speakers were made for that song?

Killing in the name of: That kicks it up a notch. Still think these need more juice to hit same volume as M12. Very full sounding.
    Hotel california: Great recording. Balanced. Lead still a little recessed. But damn, what a great recording. Crowd sounds right, too.

Hotel California: Smooth. Def. needs more volume, but keeping the same. strings are gorgeous, bass is there. low end is there. Curious about added sparkle if using different dome on top tweeters...
    Dad Spiegel: Excellent. Tall. Electronic music is great.

Das Spiegel: Tight, clear, pleasantly balanced. Treble sparkle not there, but treble smoothness is. Not fatiguing at all. Not as harsh as M12 throughout.

Made it through?

I appreciate the ongoing help and advice.

I'm not finished, yet, but maybe finished with the big tweaks for now.

Unless I replace the upper Wuhan domes with a couple of others that might have more sparkle. I think the transition from mids to the lower tweeter is wonderful.

Still need to see about adjusting the gain on the amp for these.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I made it through :)

I suggest normalizing the 1C volume to the M12s by using whitenoise and a Decibel measuring app that averages over time and has 0.1dB resolution. You can find the volume settings required for each speaker to achieve a good sPL level that is equal and good for eval.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Ah. Didn't think about that. Thank you!

One of the surprising things, to me, was how (even at a lower output) the 1C scored well. I didn't see that until I looked at the graphs. I actually thought they scored lower than they actually did, almost across the board. A benefit of days between listening to one set and then the other.

I'm going to run a cable over to the M12 and measure at some point this week. We'll see if it was lower on the 1C, or just my feeling.
  • Gardenstater
    edited February 2023
    Options
    One song missing above^ ? 14 songs but pdf shows 15.

Very scientific :) So overall enjoyment score of 108 for the 1C vs 98 for the M12
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Walking in Your Footsteps. I messed up the notes on those. Don't know if the 2nd one is accurate. Left it out.
  • plastic_avatar
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Fixed an error in the soundstage graph, thanks GS!

Corrected pdf for graph data:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IcAEwxkexbb97bNxvRrqhKLZXWVXdHx2/view?usp=drivesdk
    So overall enjoyment score of 108 for the 1C vs 98 for the M12

I'm a harsh critic.

Infamously so.

My favorite color ink is red.

My grad work was in documentary (emphasis on diplomacy, conflict resolution, plus objective and subjective truth).

But what does that matter to this project and this thread?

I may seem skewed to bubbles and good will, but I'm honestly judging and evaluating everything, all the time [laughs]. It's one reason I dig DK's evaluations.

But, when I was a wee lad, my favorite monster in D&D was the Revenant.

b8nc882e6ofu.jpeg
    piaw68k6rij1.jpeg
    Because what better way to right the wrongs against you after death, than to return as a righteous arbiter of revenge that spares the innocent and punishes the guilty?

Sooooooo!

I probably would rate the 1C even higher, if I wasn't me. I debated changing the numbers by 1 to the positive. I subtracted 1 because of the added scrutiny evaluating them after the teardowns. Thought about it while rating it on each song. Decided to leave it and see how it panned out. Since I haven't looked at the numbers, it surprises me that the 1C came out ahead.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Anecdotal evaluation, as critical as I could manage for myself

If you want to know how I evaluated the speakers, and what the data looks like on graphs, here you go, nerds =)...

All songs on CDs, burned from FLACs, played on my Nakamichi player, digital out to the Yamaha HTR-5960 I'm using as a pre, set to Direct, volume at -40 (I really don't like Yamaha's volume system), amp set to same gain levels for both speakers.

So...
    1) any Nakamachi player in particular? E.g., an OMS-7 or something like that?
    2) what are you using as a power amplifier?