Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Options

Comments

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    @skipshot12

Wow!

That is the kind of thing I was looking for last week!

I was trying to find a colored wax to try (the back of the right speaker has a lot of wax staining). This is perfect! Thank you!

[goes to check it out]

Oh, and pictures of your Supra or it's not real ;)

[So says a Supra and late 80's and early 90's Japanese sports car fan]
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * custom 5B on a system for my Dad * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    If you ignore the dust I kicked up that got on everything, you can see the stains on the cabinet and the discoloration on the surrounds.

sy8l69sl1bqu.jpeg

Try some goo gone on the cabinet stains. Naptha on a rag will also remove candle wax. Don't ask how I know. Then clean off the Naptha with something safe.

• plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 692
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Try some goo gone on the cabinet stains. Naptha on a rag will also remove candle wax. Don't ask how I know. Then clean off the Naptha with something safe.

I'll try the Goo on the stains before I use the Adams' stuff.

Naphtha as a last resort. [laughs]. I haven't messed with that in a looooong time.

[where's my Zippo...]
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * custom 5B on a system for my Dad * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,101
    Options
    Mind you, I'm not suggesting this for surrounds :# -- but boiling hot water will quickly melt wax and take it away from... pretty much anything that won't mind contact with boiling hot water. In the case of total immersion, the wax'll just float to the surface (since it's immiscible with water).

:|

• pitdogg2
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Mind you, I'm not suggesting this for surrounds :# -- but boiling hot water will quickly melt wax and take it away from... pretty much anything that won't mind contact with boiling hot water. In the case of total immersion, the wax'll just float to the surface (since it's immiscible with water).

Yep a sponge and dish gloves are your friend.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,017
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @skipshot12

Wow!

That is the kind of thing I was looking for last week!

I was trying to find a colored wax to try (the back of the right speaker has a lot of wax staining). This is perfect! Thank you!

[goes to check it out]

Oh, and pictures of your Supra or it's not real ;)

[So says a Supra and late 80's and early 90's Japanese sports car fan]

Bahahaaaaa...
    My two mistresses,

40bz18iq4eks.jpg
    s5q0c8zu0pki.jpg
    Had to get creative with the WY license plates to denote their birth years.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,633
    Options
    Both are absolutely gorgeous. Simply stunning. <3
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    Options

I've used a heat gun and a blue paper shop towel for wax spills. If the wax spill is on something that doesn't like heat, a hair dryer on high will get hot enough to melt wax but typically leaves heat sensitive materials alone.

I use the blue shop paper towels because they are more absorbent, especially with chemicals and they will wick hot wax up quicker before soaking through the towel.

When most of the wax is up, lighter fluid on a regular paper towel will get rid of the rest of it and has less of a chance of being destructive to whatever surface you are cleaning. The stuff in the bottles like Ronsonol is usually just naptha and maybe a light machine oil. So it's stronger than alcohol but not as strong as more aggressive solvents like gasoline or ether or acetone. Lighter fluid leaves an oily residue, though but, Windex will clean that right up.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Nice RE71Rs on the VR4. Would love to throw it around some corners.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    We went with the stock sleeper Supra look, for personal reasons... 😬
    But, she pulled 525hp & 560ft/lbs to the rears.
    Stock original motor, trans & diff

3mnuch40nd5v.jpg

• Clipdat
    Options
  • skipshot12
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thank you.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Someone recognizes track tires...
    Had the same tires on the Soup, once worn out I went with the Toyo R888's. Prefer the 71R's.

Run both on open track days down @ HPR.
    2.55 mile road course.

If anyone's interested in cars... my brother and I @ Supras in Vegas 2021. Had a great time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcVSre8GgE&amp;t=529sTrack day @ Vegas Speed World.
    We're @ 4:06, 6:37 behind a 700+ hp white MK4, 6:50, 7:27, @ 8:12 Maroon MK3 Supra 7MGTE dynoed @ 1400hp.

Apologies on the high jack of your thread p_a. Got a little carried away 🤪
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,101
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yep a sponge and dish gloves are your friend.

hey, now -- let's not get too personal here!!!

:#B);)

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,136
    Options
    Contact Magnepan for the grill cloth. You will need to find black paint to paint the frames because the cloth is exceptionally shear. The good news is that you will never need to take the grills off and you can still see hints of the drivers in certain lighting conditions. It is the best cloth you can get. It is more expensive but worth every penny.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    @skipshot12

Hijack away!

New sub-thread topic = hot turbos from 1985-1995

Seriously, it's not a hijack. It's why you knew to recommend the product you did =)

@nooshinjohn

Sheer fabric where I can see the goods = awesome, and I will see how it fits my budget.

@the-rest-of-you-lot

Rubber gloves, heat guns, boiling water, sponge baths... I'm not 100%, but some of you guys might've learned about wax removal under non-hobbiest circumstances... I mean, I'm thankful, but had no idea there were so many options to try on my problem ;)
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2023
    Options
    What ever...
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    You can also use an iron on a low heat setting and a couple paper towels to soak up wax. Again test in an inconspicuous area to see what setting works best.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    You can also use an iron on a low heat setting and a couple paper towels to soak up....

All these are going to come in super handy. No lie. And, honestly, not just for this. It's like the cleaning tip videos I love on YouTube =)

An example of what I have to deal with on the back of the right speaker:

0qo35vsjdmta.jpeg
    It's like his wife threw wax at this one =(

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    Options
    She probably dropped a candle that was hot and the wax splattered when the candle hit the ground.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    She probably dropped a candle that was hot and the wax splattered when the candle hit the ground.

Or she was just into that sort of thing...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • plastic_avatar
    edited January 2023
    Options
    LOL

I should print that and paste it to the inside of the cabinet.

It's a little frustrating that I didn't really comprehend the finish damage and the stains until after 9 months in.

Over the past 2 months, as I started to really dig in, it's been a little bit of

'Jeezus, I'm pretty much re-doing everything... What was my budget again?'

Super fun year, though. Learning a lot, with everyone's help. And I mean that.

The kicker will be, and I may have said this:

What if I hate the SDA effect?

Wouldn't that be hilarious?
  • skipshot12
    Options
    You won’t hate what sda does.
    It blows me away the size of the soundstage.

The only takeaway I have with sda is that on some recordings something’s not natural with the sound.
    But, I’ve found that’s way into the minority of recordings.
    I’ve only run into one SACD disc from billy Joel that does this.
    Haven’t spun any lp’s since acquiring the Polk’s. My thoughts would say they may be less vulnerable to this?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I do not mean this with any disrespect, but if you don't like the way they sound, I am going to fill an entire page with LOLOLOLOLOL!!! WAAAAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!

We did try and tell you to slow down and listen first, and then mod things one step at a time, taking notes along the way about what worked for your ears and what doesn't. We tried to give you solid advice based on hundreds of years of combined experiences, much of which you have ignored. You have a ton of time and money spent and while I respect your dedication to the project, I cannot help but be skeptical of the outcome at this point. You may love what you hear, or you may not. If it is the latter, it won't be because the speakers themselves were bad, but rather what was done to them.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options

What if I hate the SDA effect?

Wouldn't that be hilarious?

Yes. Yes it would. And good luck trying to sell them.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Someone recognizes track tires...
    Had the same tires on the Soup, once worn out I went with the Toyo R888's. Prefer the 71R's.

Run both on open track days down @ HPR.
    2.55 mile road course.
    I used RE-71s for an autocross Miata a few years ago. I really liked them. Super sticky and quick to warm up. I would think they would overheat pretty quick on a full track with 550+hp under your right foot. Tons of fun either way. Looks like a bunch of fun in your garage.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It's really too bad you didn't do a before and after each mod. But no one can take away the fun you seemed to have doing it.

I predict you've overdone it and they won't sound as good as when they were unmodded. There is a point where you can go too far and start having negative effects that completely null the tried and true mods.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • plastic_avatar
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @heiney9

I might have gone too far. We'll find out soon.

Before I get to soldering, I'm printing something to help me with my crossovers.
    pun0b9tb4jwf.jpeg
    I hope this mystery piece helps.

On fun, I'm grateful I've had the opportunity and luxury and support to try all the things I did. That's a genuine gift.

On before and afters: I'll do that for the 5B. [laughs]. I know it seems bonkers that I did the 1C this way, but it's a special project for me, and the surprise of it is important.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    And good luck trying to sell them.

No plans to sell them.

Don't care to recover money spent.

The journey and people I met along the way are more important.

I've never had the luxury to do a project like this, and selling them was never an ingredient in the soup =)

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    @nooshinjohn

I'll laugh, too! How could I not?

I have very specific reasons why I decided... needed... to do it this way. It's really, totally o.k. This has all gone better than I expected, though taken far longer than I hoped.

I'm going to do proper tests on my 5B rebuild/mods this year. They'll be my testing-as-I-go project, G/god(s) willing.

I've never snubbed my nose at any advice or know-how.

And just because I try something else using the knowledge I'm given as a guide, it doesn't mean I'm disrespecting anyone.

Seriously, I spent soooooo many hours on those Wuhans. 3D modeling, prototyping, printing, reading, building, re-building, testing... I did all that for me and mine. It wasn't because I wanted to give a big up-yours to anyone. That's not me.

I want everyone to come by and either offer suggestions, bring up pitfalls, discuss the project, or (now) talk about sweet, sweet Japanese sporty cars.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a