Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Options

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    aluminized pipe wrap...........Foam + Foil pipe wrap, like Frost King makes?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited January 2023
    Options
    New question:

Need cleaning advice. Used Windex to clean cones, surrounds, and cabs. What do I try next, based on text below?

- Speakers had candles on them. Oily waxy substance dripped onto cabinets, through grilles, and onto some surrounds.

i got most of the brown, smokey residue off of everything, but the surrounds are discolored in places and a little.. smokey looking.

Would love to find a butyl-friendly Armor All-like shine product.

bt7wucwlzcab.jpeg
    And yes, a final dusting and wipe will happen.

As an aside:

Some people act like I'm ruining the Mona Lisa, when, really, I'm resurrecting Steve Austin ;)

3a9l6vyxws3l.gif
    Post edited by plastic_avatar on
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,719
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Ive cleaned some of the nastiest crud off the cones with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
    Been wanting to try a type of product on these surrounds like my FIL used on this Avalanche's window seal trim. It made the oxidated plastic and rubber look new. Can't recall the name of it however.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Just spread some hot glue over them, pull it off, and done..

Or you could just spray paint them black and call it a day...

At this point just use this..

zzta57x47stk.png
    Post edited by Toolfan66 on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    Options
    Yak urine blessed by 10 monks works the best.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Were it that easy, I'd be on it.

I hate to waste my yak time on that, though...

I recommend the movie Himalaya to anyone who like documentaries.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/title/502504

In the style of Nanook of the North, this movie is a 'directed' documentary. A fiction, but it documents a way of life that is largely lost to time.

Recommended.

Also, the documentary Aftershock on Netflix, for people with shorter attention spans. Unrelated, save for the mountains.

(Seems a product called 303 is safe for butyl. I may grab some if the discoloration proves visually distracting.)

[Lazarus needs new shoes]
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options

Wow, come next month it'll be a year since I started on these things!

Kinda curious ... how much more buffalo chicken pizza has been consumed on this endeavor?
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • plastic_avatar
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @bcwsrt: Ha! Well...

More than expected [pats stomach], but less than I thought!

Revised cost list = https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PirDDHK8Tegb6nFD9gM5J-VHFHuABQ8txKexvQOeFvo/edit

Less than $1000 there, but I used about $60 in filament for prototyping.

Plus another $50 in misc. stuff I'm sure I don't remember.

Let's call it $100 over budget at $1100.

WHICH IS CRAZY FOR ME! But it's over a year, and a gift to myself as a hobby and post-unemployment Pandemic-troubles-end project, so... I'll forgive myself.

I did buy a Yamaha p2250 and a back-up, so that was $400 in gas and purchases. Not exactly a speaker cost, but I got them because of the 1C, soooo... that's a grey area in the budget.

If I can equalize out some costs, I'll grab coils while the dollar is strong, but that's the cap (unless I play with another dome for the Wuhans...).

I never ends, does it?

Annnnd... I'll need to budget for veneer or paint, and grille cloth, if I want to make them as pretty as they should be.

They turned out to be in waaaaay rougher shape than anticipated. But that's o.k., It's good experience.

This week, gonna ebay the old plates and cable to put a little bit back into the budget.
    gr38d6iewxgn.jpeg
  • F1nut
    Options
    Seems a product called 303 is safe for butyl. I may grab some if the discoloration proves visually distracting.

JHC, something is seriously wrong with you!!!

Clean the cones and surrounds with original Windex. Spray it on a soft cotton cloth and wipe in a circular motion. Do NOT use anything else, PERIOD.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    They're as clean as Windex will get them.

I wouldn't use the 303 (or similar) on the cones, but I'd love to have the surrounds look consistent *if it won't damage them*.

303 pops up every now and again as safe for butyl.

One of my hats is photographer-who-adores-symmetry, and I really want the surrounds as evenly toned as possible.

The candle smoke and residue really did a number on how they look.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,111
    Options
    Jesse… don’t you think you were a little hard on the Beaver?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    That was weird!!!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,719
    Options
    I was left inundated with copious amounts of newly imparted knowledge...Thanks for the meme-ories.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,604
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    That was weird!!!

You're a few dot and dashes shy for Morse code.
    Just sayin
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    If you ignore the dust I kicked up that got on everything, you can see the stains on the cabinet and the discoloration on the surrounds.

sy8l69sl1bqu.jpeg

Interesting bit from a thread on diyaudio.com:

EscritorJuan
    2017-05-04 2:00 pm
    I emailed Albert Von Schweikert about what I should use to treat the rubber surrounds on my Von Schweikert VR-5 HSE Speakers, and he wrote back the following:

Hello Juan,

All of the VR-5 HSE speaker components use Kurt Mueller rubber surrounds that have a twenty year warranty. The Germans know how to make good parts! The Audax midrange and SEAS woofers use these special rubber compounds for a very long life, estimated to be more than 30 years. If you treat all of the butyl rubber edges, they will not crack or dry out for an estimated 50 years!

Buy the liquid made by CAIG from Parts Express; we use it to protect the foam rubber surrounds of the VR-5SE and VR-5 Anniversary models, as well as the VR-9SE Mk2 and VR-11SE Mk2. It works very well!

Cheers,

Albert Von Schweikert
    President, Chief Design Engineer

Unrelated:

The gasket for the terminal plate works pretty good.

m9mcqojwuuna.jpeg

• F1nut
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Ok, I owe you an apology concerning the surrounds. I thought you were talking about the naturally occurring oxidation of the rubber that leaves them kind of funky looking.

Windex will not remove those stains and I doubt anything will. I think the best you can hope for is to blend/cover them up. Of course, keeping the grills on will hide all those sins and since they were voiced with the grills on that is how one should listen to them.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    The 3 ingredients of the Caig product.

MINERAL OIL - self explanatory

CHLORINATED FATTY ESTER - such things as palm and coconut oil

LIMONENE - citrus oil

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    edited January 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Of course, keeping the grills on will hide all those sins and since they were voiced with the grills on that is how one should listen to them.

[nods]

Sins were not as readily visible until the major cleaning began, here at the end =(

I've got fabric on my list, I just love looking at these and the Monitor 12 naked. They look so frakking cool. And they're worth enough to me to refinish the cabinets at a later date.

Next purchase(s), maybe CAIG and definitely fabric!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I can't stand listening to my 7Bs with the grills on, especially after all the veils to clarity have been removed from the mods I have done. The inside edge of the grille is 3/4" particle board with no roundover. Can you say diffraction? Doesn't show up so much on a frequency response graph but we do hear the effects. Besides that it negates the effects of my 1-3/4" radiused roundover frame I have put on my speakers, which absolutely do work wonders with the imaging.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I imagine I'll have dual mode: grills on to save my sanity, grills off when I can listen in the dark ;)

I'm going to try all the things, eventually. Including your edge treatment experiments. They're all easy and reversible, so no harm.

Since I know a builder now (who has a bona fide shop), I may just make new cabinets one day.

Again, I never went into this with the expectation to ever get back the money I invested in myself. Except in self fulfillment =)
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    edited January 2023
    Options
    As far as trying to get back a uniform black I use this...
    xwnb5mhhzd4u.jpg

Adam's Polishes products are fantastic and it's all I use on my original paint & interior MK3 Supra.
    I used this on the back of my SDA SRS's and they came out great.
    Just be sure to clean the surface to be treated well first, try in an inconspicuous small spot to see if you want it that black.

Would be easier to a better job if your drivers aren't installed.
    Plus, mask off any edges or places, with blue painter's tape, you don't want the black to get on... wood, cloth etc.

This is how the speakers came out after the Adam's black trim restore....
    nlbnfbv4e2s4.jpg

After the Adam's I used some P21s wax for a protective coat.
    The wax is on top of the speaker on the right...

Not recommending this on the surrounds as this is not something I've tried.