What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I ran a Placette passive for many years, and it interfaced well with my Parasound HCA-1500. I never had any gain issues with any source. Passives are super "clean" but that trait can also make them a bit boring.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    edited June 2019
    A passive isn't clean, your source is.

Just my experience.

Having maxed out the tri Vista dac, is all in the source! 😁
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    Oooooo, a debate? Is it the passive or is it the source?

Fun, fun....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    aye aye skipper!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Nope! That’s right skip. I let’s those who want to swipe against jellyfish and step on crabs have all that fun...
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,060
    There are no jellyfish in lake Lanier.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • joecoulson
    fhocjlrkep5r.png

Nowhere near Lanier Harry...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    VR3 wrote: »
    Just hooked this bad boy up... My road to simplicity continues!

9q6lv70qyl2c.jpg
    iyxhyusev6kp.jpg
    cdbcvp8q702c.jpg
    obywfp4wrjcz.jpg

So.... I have been trying to like this preamp all week. I just haven't been happy with the imaging, not very wide and congested and bright treble....

I hooked up the ci audio back and immediately the imaging returned.

Sent an email to luminous to get their thoughts. Ayee
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    Just ordered a Decware CSP3 preamp. It has yet to be built and I probably have to wait three or four months before that process is completed. Trolling the Decware website has caused me to take interest in SET amps. This rabbit hole has no bottom.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Deckert certainly has a high opinion of himself and his wares.
    Full disclosure, I started in SE amplifiers with his (then) cheap little "Zen" EL84/SV83 amp. It is really (really) low powered but it did (and still does) sound pretty good. Not really enough oompf for full-range use driving a pair of Klipsch Cornies... umm... Cornwalls, though.

16702194939_77e6b59df8_b.jpgDSC_0339 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Deckert's stuff sort of caught on. It's actually pretty decent stuff, but his hype grated on me pretty quickly, and most of their wares now are... umm... not inexpensive.

I (we, actually) built a pair of Bottlehead Paramour SE 2A3 monoblocks ("Paramours") when they first came out and have never looked back.

The "Zen" amp's in its shipping box in the basement. :|

• 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    Yea, they are a little enthusiastic over there, but after giving their preamp a good once over, (well, at least the best I can over the internet) I felt it carried itself on it's own merits and is the probably well worth the money I spent on it. Please bear in mind, I was about ready to drop more than twice as much as I spent on the CSP3 on a Cary SLP-98. But after deeming my degraded ears unworthy (after years of abuse, they're just plain shot) of the SLP's price tag, I came across the Decware and felt it fit the bill. FWIW, I think they offer a pretty good phono stage also but I just recently acquired a Parks Audio Budgie and performs quite well.

As far as amps go, yes, some time in the future, I'm probably going to try a SET type setup. I'm kind of thinking of some bridged Zen monos as Decware has various versions ranging from five to six watts. I agree the stereo versions are a little on the low powered side. I much rather have a watt or two more than just two.

Also Decware sells speakers and a few caught my interest. Albeit, I know nothing about them nor do I know anybody that has any experience with them. I, at least, met a couple people who have CSP2 preamps and each thought highly of their build quality and performance.

Now, I've known a few people who had 2A3 amps. One had a Sun stereo amp, one had a pair of Cary monos and another had a DIY stereo amp. I liked all three rigs. Two had their amp(s) powering Altecs and the other has his amp powering full range Lowthers in custom baffled enclosures. I liked the horn/big woofer setup of the Altecs slightly more than the Lowther setup. I could live with either though. The Lowther setup had a smaller footprint and space is a luxury in the basement that I, and my stereo, are exiled to. My rig has a WAF of zero. Another acquaintance has a pair of Klipsch LaScala's driven by a rebuilt/modded(?) Dynaco ST35. That's a nice sounding rig also. Now Decware doesn't make 2A3 amp but they do have a 25 wpc EL84 (maybe SV84) based amp. But then again, LaScalas are a pretty large speaker and space is a premium in my basement. But if I'm going to get SET amps, why not go with triode tubes rather than an amp that utilizes pentodes wired with a triode configuration.

So, at this point, I'm leaning toward a pair a 2a3 based monos (I see you have 2a3 based monos and I have those Bottleheads under consideration) and Lowther type speakers in a baffled enclosures. I'll probably mull over this for the next year or two before I pull the trigger. So I have a little time to think and do some research over it.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    To ignite I got to demo my rig for Al(Scubalab) and his daughter. It was a high honor to meet him and shake his hand.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Velodyne DD+ 10.......completely insane!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    F1nut wrote: »
    Velodyne DD+ 10.......completely insane!!!

Certainly looks the part

d6j0yacbf8va.jpeg
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Changed to a Wireworld Starlight USB cable. Nice upgrade for not a lot of bucks.
  • nooshinjohn
    Jesse got a subwoofer? The world IS coming to an end as AOC has predicted!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    He has had multiple subs AFAIK. It's not for the rig you are thinking of....

That one has no need for any subs at all.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,160
    Turned it on. Left it on. It's still on
    .listening to Marvin Gaye Lets Get It On. Right on! 😎
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mhardy6647
    Jesse got a subwoofer? The world IS coming to an end as AOC has predicted!

Naaw, he got a green subwoofer, I am sure. Runs off of sunlight and stores CO2 with every thump.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Green......ummmmm, NO!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    Jesse > Liberal agenda
  • mhardy6647
    yeah,I guess it's hard to use photovoltaics when one only comes out at night...

B)
  • mhardy6647
    Oh -- on topic -- Mrs. H's been birding in Minnesota and North Dakota this week. I spent some quality time cleaning and organizing the hifi room (in between myriad outdoor tasks and chores). It doesn't really look much different, but it feels better to me.

• nooshinjohn
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Jesse > Liberal agenda

nw797ge07h22.jpg

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Oh -- on topic -- Mrs. H's been birding in Minnesota and North Dakota this week. I spent some quality time cleaning and organizing the hifi room (in between myriad outdoor tasks and chores). It doesn't really look much different, but it feels better to me.

Lucky guy. I wish my wife would go away once and a while, and take the boys with her! Sometimes I think life would be grand if I were a hermit. Not that I'd want them to disappear permanently or anything.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

It's like having a clean car. Adds 10 hp!
  • joecoulson
    5 more on a sunny day.