What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    My work is done here 😃
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited February 2021
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    I had a pair of Mullard cv4003's that I thought were noisy since last I played them was a few years back when I had a Belles 21a preamp. Well something told me to try them in my Mastersound Compact 845 integrated amp. They were dead quiet and the best sound I have heard from the Mastersound, not to mention that it saved me $300 as that is what they are going for a pair now. :D
    I have this tube in my DAC, it provides the 'Secret Sauce'. In the right application, it's one of the best.
    +1....currently running a matched pair in my BHK Pre.
    xdmpz0si863f.jpg
    hq9h16p2chlc.png
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    My work is done here 😃

Damn it Ivan! I just ordered a pair of Brimar CV4003's from Upscale Audio thanks to you! (and Jesse). Damn enablers!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    I am trying to find out how the brimar cv4003 sound compared to my mallard cv4003. I need a backup pair but the mullards are $300 pair. Let us know how those brimars sound.
    Those ge 6189 are nice even handed and neutral. Better get them at the low price now.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Today I swapped my Yaqin mc100b tube integrated for the Mc mono's just to change things up a bit for a few days. It should be quite a change going from 1200+wpc down to 45wpc in triode mode.
    My guess is the 1.2tl's aren't going to be as happy now with the big reduction in current

6v8mqirf4r3k.jpg

Did you get a chance to listen to the Yaqin yet?
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    “Surely I can put them to good use.“

They might make great amp stands for monoblocks, if not reused for speaker stands.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Today I swapped my Yaqin mc100b tube integrated for the Mc mono's just to change things up a bit for a few days. It should be quite a change going from 1200+wpc down to 45wpc in triode mode.
    My guess is the 1.2tl's aren't going to be as happy now with the big reduction in current

6v8mqirf4r3k.jpg

Yes I did quite a bit of listening since I last posted and here's my impressions. I found I preferred the UL mode slightly when using the Yaqin's preamp section and listening to digital. But I found I preferred the triode mode when listening to vinyl with the Yaqin's pre. I spent a couple days listening to these different types and those were my findings.

Next I bypassed the Yaqin's pre section and used my Mcintosh c100 preamp and the Yaqin as a straight power amp. I found this was my favorite way to listen to music and I very much preferred the triode mode when spinning vinyl. UL mode was still very good but not quite as nice as triode mode on either digital or vinyl. I had several hours of listening time on these modes as well and just this morning I decided it was time to go back to the 1201's. I'll give the little Yaqin credit; it held up admirably well considering it's competition. In either mode it had no trouble at all driving the 1.2tls to decent listening volumes which really surprised me. The Yaqin's success also has me casually looking for a pair of tube monos now as well.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Personally I've been impressed with both the yaqin tube buffer and my new tube preamp. Many poo poo the Yaqins as cheap Chinese junk but I'd have to say I found it's anything but.
    Very nice gear for prices paid.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    edited February 2021
    Options

6v8mqirf4r3k.jpg

Yes I did quite a bit of listening since I last posted and here's my impressions. I found I preferred the UL mode slightly when using the Yaqin's preamp section and listening to digital. But I found I preferred the triode mode when listening to vinyl with the Yaqin's pre. I spent a couple days listening to these different types and those were my findings.

Next I bypassed the Yaqin's pre section and used my Mcintosh c100 preamp and the Yaqin as a straight power amp. I found this was my favorite way to listen to music and I very much preferred the triode mode when spinning vinyl. UL mode was still very good but not quite as nice as triode mode on either digital or vinyl. I had several hours of listening time on these modes as well and just this morning I decided it was time to go back to the 1201's. I'll give the little Yaqin credit; it held up admirably well considering it's competition. In either mode it had no trouble at all driving the 1.2tls to decent listening volumes which really surprised me. The Yaqin's success also has me casually looking for a pair of tube monos now as well.

That's cool. Yeah I was surprised myself that the Yaqin amps sound really good on my 1.2TL's...well on all the speakers that I've owned for that matter, but they do. Getting confirmation from someone else means my ears aren't so bad after all haha. I haven't checked the web lately but I'm hoping to one day see them make 100+ wpc tube monos, either EL 34 or KT 88 based amps.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited February 2021
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    My work is done here 😃

Damn it Ivan! I just ordered a pair of Brimar CV4003's from Upscale Audio thanks to you! (and Jesse). Damn enablers!

Damn it all of you! Make that 2 of us. Late night surfing last night and let my guard down. Have a pair en-route to compare to the Mullards, RT, National, PS Vane and RCA Black Plates.
    Post edited by JayCee on
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Tried a cork mat on my turntable:

wznprndgf8ck.jpg
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Drew probably needs a slip mat so he can do some DJ scratching :p
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Tried a cork mat on my turntable:

wznprndgf8ck.jpg
    And........?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I've always wondered about these and the Funk Firm Achromat. https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/funk-firm-achromat-platter-mat

But my TT is designed to run directly on the delrin platter, so I don't mess with any mats.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options

Haven't looked into any of these. Just decided to try the cork one since it was only $20.
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    And........?

Sounded good before when I was using these, and sounded good after with the cork mat. So, shrug?

20700019.jpg
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Good price on that mat. Gem Dandy sells an RCC (rubber cork compound) mat for $60 that looks substantially the same.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I bought a few cork/rubber mats like that from Hudson Hi-Fi a few years ago, but now they're sold-out. They're actually sold-out of most all their mats now, but do still have this all-cork one, which has a recess for the label.
    gvls6iax26y1.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I have the Herbie's Way Excellent mat in 4mm thickness.

I have been very happy with that purchase.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I have a Pro-ject Debut III with the Acryl-it platter. I've always run it without a mat, but am curious if there would be an improvement with one. But what about VTA? No adjustment on my table AFAIK.
  • guyincognito
    Options
    wypl3ib0b8l5.jpg

First time poster. I added a butcher block acoustics base to help address what i believe is a resonance issue I was having with my turntable while running in 45 rpm. Pretty happy with the results. At some point I will build or buy a better source stand.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • guyincognito
    Options
    To add to earlier posts I am pretty happy with my Jake's deerskin mat on the planar 8. He is a one man show and sells his mats on Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. I've upgraded turntables twice but the mat always makes the cut.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Welcome! Looks like a great rig. Stick around, we are a passionate bunch!
  • guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128
    edited February 2021
    Options
    This group seems much more positive and friendly than some of the other forums. Genuinely excited to have found this group. I also have a Parasound JC5 on order that I am anxiously awaiting delivery on. I will post updates when it gets here. Happy listening in the meantime.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • guyincognito
    Options
    bjh8b50zgxm9.jpg

Current rig... I have the Arcam SR250 behind the TV at this point. After the JC5 gets here I would like to replace the Arcam with a JC2 BP at some point when funds permit.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Options
    To add to earlier posts I am pretty happy with my Jake's deerskin mat on the planar 8. He is a one man show and sells his mats on Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. I've upgraded turntables twice but the mat always makes the cut.

And you can always make a nice pair of driving gloves out of it when you decide to upgrade! ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    Options
    wypl3ib0b8l5.jpg
    Is that a Benchmark DAC3/HGC preamp...or a similar model? I certainly enjoy mine :)
  • guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @jdjohn

Benchmark DAC 2 HGC with the firmware upgrade. Bought it used for a song. I feel like I will have to dig deep to improve upon it. I have been interested in Lampizator DACs as of late but haven't looked too deep. Most are out of my price range but the Amber 3 looks interesting.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I think you'd be hard-pressed to exceed the performance of that without a significant outlay of additional cash.