What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Gosh I'd love to hear both to be honest.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Gosh I'd love to hear both to be honest.

You're more than welcome to stop by if you're ever in the area.
  • Skipped the preamp and plugged the Lumin directly in to the amp. Yes please, more of this!

This isn’t great for the TT since both can’t be plugged in at the same time. Meaning I would be connecting and disconnecting ICs to change source and believe I would need a phono pre like Gram Slee Ascension.

That said I’m going to have an in home Demo of the RP-7 this weekend.

I really don’t know which way this is going to go. My Logic says less is more and having a preamp can only get in the way but who knows, it could add that something special.

I’m not a betting man but any thoughts on how it ends?

Karma after a decision is made! Wish me luck!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • 45wpc in triode mode.
    My guess is the 1.2tl's aren't going to be as happy now with the big reduction in current

6v8mqirf4r3k.jpg

Try the Yaqin in ultralinear mode as well...looking forward to your impressions.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • @phipiper10 bet it’ll end with static when using the remote :D@daboyz
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have been ignoring mine. But I got a bunch of iFi noise doohickeys to test when I have the presence of mind to check out.
  • We
    @phipiper10 bet it’ll end with static when using the remote :D@daboyz

Well I took My 99 Magnum out of the chain so if my phone, as the current remote adds static, I will blame @daboyz !
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    Skipped the preamp and plugged the Lumin directly in to the amp. Yes please, more of this!

I’m going to have an in home Demo of the RP-7 this weekend.

I really don’t know which way this is going to go. My Logic says less is more and having a preamp can only get in the way but who knows, it could add that something special.

I’m not a betting man but any thoughts on how it ends?

Karma after a decision is made! Wish me luck!

I’m looking forward to your thoughts....

I’m not unhappy in the slightest with my Cary 05 preamp. However, I’ve often wondered what the RP-7 (or 9) would bring to the table when paired with my Rogue M-180 monos.
    btw, I just upgraded to the Dark mod

Which LUMIN do you have?

TIA
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited February 2021
    GlennDog wrote: »
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to your thoughts....

I’m not unhappy in the slightest with my Cary 05 preamp. However, I’ve often wondered what the RP-7 (or 9) would bring to the table when paired with my Rogue M-180 monos.
    btw, I just upgraded to the Dark mod

Which LUMIN do you have?

TIA

I have the lumin T2. Also picked up Primaluna Evo 400 preamp, just before getting the RP-7 (no RP-9 at my dealer) this afternoon.

Primaluna is up first and just casual listening right now. I'll do a little write up when done.

Never heard them but Those Apollo Darks were on my wish list. Think I'd be afraid of those, they are beasts!
    Post edited by phipiper10 on
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2021
    Yesterday, performed a more comprehensive cleaning of equipment and stand than usual. And...

...tweaked the surrounds and their subs - much more challenging than the LRs and their subs. I regret no RTA image to post. The tweaked FR is smoother than before but it needs more than I had time allowed.

“The Dark Knight Rises” sounding MANY times better than in the theatre @ PCB years ago. In PCB theater, ANY gun fire hurt my ears so much I had to anticipate to put my fingers in my ears. My system - NO PROBLEM!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Put my B&K monos in the closet. The upgrade I performed on the Belles 350a Reference is taking a lot longer to break in than expected but I'm really liking what I hear. The things I liked more about the B&K's are becoming less of a difference now. The Belles takes up less space too.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Put my B&K monos in the closet.

Nice of you to give Tom Cruise a set of amps to build around...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    I had a pair of Mullard cv4003's that I thought were noisy since last I played them was a few years back when I had a Belles 21a preamp. Well something told me to try them in my Mastersound Compact 845 integrated amp. They were dead quiet and the best sound I have heard from the Mastersound, not to mention that it saved me $300 as that is what they are going for a pair now. :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Almost pulled the trigger on that one several years ago. Glad you are liking it!
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    40oqoytwrjhv.jpeg
    Its almost brand spankin new and still has the stock JJ 12at7 tubes in it. Just when I thought I would stay away from tubes , they drag me right back in. It sounds great as is but it’s been my experience with tube rolling there is a chance to be even better...guess it’s time to look for a deal on some nice sounding NOS replacements.
  • nooshinjohn
    That is a serious toroid...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    marvda1 wrote: »
    I had a pair of Mullard cv4003's that I thought were noisy since last I played them was a few years back when I had a Belles 21a preamp. Well something told me to try them in my Mastersound Compact 845 integrated amp. They were dead quiet and the best sound I have heard from the Mastersound, not to mention that it saved me $300 as that is what they are going for a pair now. :D

I have this tube in my DAC, it provides the 'Secret Sauce'. In the right application, it's one of the best.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    1gm7e2gwhk9d.jpg
    Warming up the HT for the big game, so nothing major just getting ready.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    gudnoyez wrote: »

What game would that be?

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    “Game” is right, I ain’t watching nothing
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Being a Vikings fan it wont be a Packer Game, Aaron will be sitting at home watching it pretty sure he wont be boycotting it it's a game that he and Brady have one thing in common, that is they have each one a NFC championship game.

It was a **** season with all the teams not having all their starters and players opting out because of the pandemic that along with all the other BS that went on I agree with you guys I did not watch many games until the playoffs, as it didnt seem like a real season to me. But it's the Superbowl dangit it's like -20 with the wind chill I'm staying in and watching a inferior product and eating a ton of chicken wings and guacamole and chips tossing back a few cold ones and watch Mahomes win a second ring even if it is an astrix season. Dro just giving you a hard time about Rodgers joking aside.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2021
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    40oqoytwrjhv.jpeg
    Its almost brand spankin new and still has the stock JJ 12at7 tubes in it. Just when I thought I would stay away from tubes , they drag me right back in. It sounds great as is but it’s been my experience with tube rolling there is a chance to be even better...guess it’s time to look for a deal on some nice sounding NOS replacements.

These are the real deal here. I've got a pair and they are very nice great bass and great top end without being too bright. This seller is very trustworthy and mine were nos like these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Brimar-NOS-NIB-6060-12AT7-ECC81-Black-Box-Plates-tube-Triple-Mica/184440278892?hash=item2af17f4f6c:g:djgAAOSwR5BfFauD
  • Gerres26
    40oqoytwrjhv.jpeg

These are the real deal here. I've got a pair and they are very nice great bass and great top end without being too bright. This seller is very trustworthy and mine were nos like these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Brimar-NOS-NIB-6060-12AT7-ECC81-Black-Box-Plates-tube-Triple-Mica/184440278892?hash=item2af17f4f6c:g:djgAAOSwR5BfFauD

How do you think they compare to this matched set from the same seller?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Matched-Pair-Mullard-NOS-NIB-CV4024-ECC81-12AT7-copper-plates-tubes-/174554271455?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited February 2021
    :'(>:):o
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2021
    40oqoytwrjhv.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Matched-Pair-Mullard-NOS-NIB-CV4024-ECC81-12AT7-copper-plates-tubes-/174554271455?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Brimars are everything mullard with a more open top end. The T designation tubes were much bettered screened for noise and matched triods. I've been told the Brimar tubes were never made in the quantities that Mullards or Amperex tubes.
    I like Brimars over Mullards I have both.

Nikolay the owner (I think) is very responsive and great guy to deal with. He doesn't have much maneuvering room on the Brimars but he might on the Mullards. He has always been up front on that with me I've bought hundreds of dollars of tubes from him.
  • Gerres26
    I’m very intrigued by them now after reading that. I’ll shoot him a message tomorrow to ask him a couple questions on them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    1gm7e2gwhk9d.jpg
    Jim Nantz and Tony Romo in hi-res? ;)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Gerres26
    40oqoytwrjhv.jpeg

Brimars are everything mullard with a more open top end. The T designation tubes were much bettered screened for noise and matched triods. I've been told the Brimar tubes were never made in the quantities that Mullards or Amperex tubes.
    I like Brimars over Mullards I have both.

Nikolay the owner (I think) is very responsive and great guy to deal with. He doesn't have much maneuvering room on the Brimars but he might on the Mullards. He has always been up front on that with me I've bought hundreds of dollars of tubes from him.

He seems to be a real stand up guy. Just offered me a matched pair of those Brimars at a price I couldn’t resist so needless to say, I now have a matched pair on the way. Thanks @pitdogg2