Group-buy-2019-dreadnought-avel-lindberg-1000va-isolation-transformers

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,623
    daddyjt wrote: »
    (In annoying back-seat voice) - Are they here yet, are they here yet??

Reported for trolling o:)

Of course you know i wouldn't do that but you can tell me what size shoes you wear :p

@tonyb

LMAO :D
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,856
    I did get one last time (for 2.3tl). This will be my third 1000VA. I've been using an 800va on the 4.1's.
    Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio p3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Office: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSAudio Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * Sonos * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * First Watt F5 Clone * PSAudio Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 913
    Crap! I should have bought a half a dozen. Actually @verb should have, he's got money. Or at least a wife that knows how to make some quick.
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    800 Va Dreadnought- Speaker Interconnect
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • monepolkmonepolk Posts: 934
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    I did get one last time (for 2.3tl). This will be my third 1000VA. I've been using an 800va on the 4.1's.

I thought so. This one will be used on my "eventual" 4.1's.

audioluvr wrote: »
    Crap! I should have bought a half a dozen. Actually @verb should have, he's got money. Or at least a wife that knows how to make some quick.
    Actually, there was a member who did this last time (huge order). I expected him to offer some for sale afterward, but I never saw evidence of this. He has not even been around since then. I still wonder what he did with ALL those transformers.
    Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio p3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Office: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSAudio Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * Sonos * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * First Watt F5 Clone * PSAudio Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    Hope he's okay and there's not a widow out there selling them at an estate sale for five bucks! :#
    Home System:
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    Now that the order has been placed, we'll likely have a ton of questions on construction. And I have a few of my own.

On my den and beach rigs, I have been using MIT Shotgun3 speaker cables and Canare 4s11 Dreadnought cables, Neutrik Speakon at both ends. Recently, I bought some used MIT Terminator 4 cables, thinking they might be a better match on the Dreadnought with the S3's for speakers. My questions:
    • How likely is it that the Terminator 4's will be an improvement over Canare 4s11?
    • Should I leave the network boxes in place?
    • If yes, should they go on the DN side?
    • Are there any particular challenges converting from spades/bananas to Speakon connectors?
    Thanks for any help,
    Craig
    edited January 11
    Now that the order has been placed, we'll likely have a ton of questions on construction. And I have a few of my own.

On my den and beach rigs, I have been using MIT Shotgun3 speaker cables and Canare 4s11 Dreadnought cables, Neutrik Speakon at both ends. Recently, I bought some used MIT Terminator 4 cables, thinking they might be a better match on the Dreadnought with the S3's for speakers. My questions:
    • How likely is it that the Terminator 4's will be an improvement over Canare 4s11?
    • Are there any particular challenges converting from spades/bananas to Speakon connectors?
    Thanks for any help,
    Craig

Aren't Terminator 4's unidirectional?

I used the speakons with the faston terminals so I had the capability of soldering on the female ends.
    Home System:
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    Craig the network boxes i believe come off. Pm Jesse.
    Some speakons i believe screw down onto the wire so yes once again the ends are cut to bare wire. You may have to enlarge the gland for the mit wire to go through.
    Once again Jesse is your man
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,068
    edited January 11
    ^^^^I just went through the chore of using MIT T4's for my dreadnaught speakon interconnects. To me it was worth the hassle and it was indeed quite the chore as my T4's are bi-wires. The MIT wires are a struggle to work with and you'll need time, patience and a soldering iron to tip the ends. You'll have remove the spades or banana's and you'll just be using the MIT wire. At the advice of f1nut I didn't use the network boxes. I believe this was an upgrade over the Sonic Impact wire I was using. Was it night and day? No it wasn't but it was an upgrade and every bit helps imo. As far as the T4's being an upgrade over the Canares I can vouch for that being an upgrade as well. I upgraded from Canare speaker wire to the T4's quite a while back and that is how I started down the road to an all MIT path. I went from the terminator series to the shotgun series and this is why I had an extra set of T4's waiting to be used for something. The dreadnaught itself is where the big sound upgrade is though. That one is impossible to overlook and will transform your rig.
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 365
    edited January 11

@vcwatkins, @F1nut
    Craig, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your questions...I have similar questions for my 1.2tl's. I'm using MIT Shotgun S1 bi-wire on my speakers and EXP1's as the IC for my current dreadnought (purchased during the B-Stock sale several years ago). Going to setup the new dreadnought with Neutrik connections vs. the Cardas binding posts in use on the 2 I have.

Jesse, I think I remember you worked w/MIT to build your own IC from bulk cable, so, in addition to Craig's questions...
    • The MIT's are directional...which direction for the wire from the dreadnought to the IC connection on the speaker? (amp to speaker vs. speaker to amp, printed on the cable)
    • Thoughts on potential benefit of doubling up 2 EXP pairs on each run?
    • Should I eliminate the "secret sauce" box on the cable and run straight wire?
    • Thoughts on Canare vs. MIT wire?
    • Or....should I source new wire from MIT of = caliber to the Shotgun S1's, perhaps the EXP's are the same?
    Current system is PS Audio:
    1. BHK Signature Preamp
    2. BHK 250 power amp
    3. Directstream DAC
    IC's are all MIT balanced S3.3's. Additionally, I'd like to redo the 1.2's internal wiring harnesses at some point.

Appreciate any insight you guys might have.

John

p.s. @Viking64 Made you look...TLDR...LOL, again. Just tell me to knock it off if I'm being annoying :smiley:
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 14,078
    The direction of the wire is not important on the Dreadnought Cable..
    Thanks guys! I was able to find a thread where F1 was selling Terminator cable for Dreadnought use to confirm what you've said above.
    F1nut wrote: »
    I have a quantity of MIT bi-wire speaker cable available for making custom AI-1/Dreadnaught cables. This is labeled MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire and comes with a light gray Techflex type braided sleeve outer cover. This is bulk cable, there are no network boxes (can't be used with the AI-1/Dreadnaught anyway) and is not terminated allowing you to choose your preferred method. The wire and the wiring configuration are exactly the same as the Shotgun cables, which in bulk from MIT is $50.00 a foot. This will be considerably less.
    So it sounds like the Terminator 4 might be a very good match for the Shotgun3 and the boxes definitely come off, as you guys advised above. My wire looks to be the same biwire (purchased here)

I'll give it a spin in the next week or so and will TRY to be patient, hehe. One of my cases is binding post, so I may terminate just one end with Neutrik for the speakers and keep the amp end bananas for the binding post Dreadnought.

Thanks a million for the swell advice!

• motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,068
    ^^^^^Your intended pair is the same model I used vcwatkins. One thing I forgot to mention is you're going to need to hog the hole out on the Neutrik as the bi-wired T4's are a bit too large. I very carefully used a step drill and went up 3 notches. This was more than I wanted to do but 2 steps wasn't quite enough. Good luck to you
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,607
    @dskip would the wireworld bulk cable work for this as well?
    Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,
    USB helper: w4s Recovery
    Living Room Teac AI-3000, LSI25, SDA 3.1TL, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11
    Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 6,677
    edited January 11
    You mean some of you guys are going a different route than Neutrik Speakon cables. I will be paying close attention to what all of you end up doing.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
    edited January 11
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    You mean some of you guys are going a different route than Neutrik Speakon cables. I will be paying close attention to what all of you end up doing.

I believe and could be wrong but you can still go neutrik with bulk cable.That is where I'm going and Larry i believe said he is making them (cases) that way as well. Of course one could always drill new holes for binding post or whatever else you want.

@erniejade WW is only 16ga. Thinking about doubling up or just using 16ga?
    Unless there is something different skip is offering I'm all ears.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,607
    @pitdogg2. Right now I'm only using aq type 4 and wireworld jumpers. I am down for anything! I will change speaker cables eventually.
    Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,
    USB helper: w4s Recovery
    Living Room Teac AI-3000, LSI25, SDA 3.1TL, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11
    Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,485
    Pretty much any cable can be ordered unterminated as far as I know. The Helicon stuff is 16 ga but it’s designed for internal use.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    Thought - if there is interest in a bulk purchase I could ask Larry if they’d consider doing a small run of like the mini eclipse already terminated with neutrik.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Well I've already have my wire and all ends. I have long runs of cable. I cannot afford to rerun 65' plus the dreadnought. This item although I'm not complaining one bit has put me behind in the tweeters and internal rewire i had planned to finish the 2.3tl's
    Dread on for sure <3
    ^^^^^Your intended pair is the same model I used vcwatkins. One thing I forgot to mention is you're going to need to hog the hole out on the Neutrik as the bi-wired T4's are a bit too large. I very carefully used a step drill and went up 3 notches. This was more than I wanted to do but 2 steps wasn't quite enough. Good luck to you
    Gotcha, thanks. I thought it looked like it would be a difficult fit. Ordering a couple extra Neutriks, hehe.
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 6,677
    That's my plan going with Neutriks just like on my 800 VA.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well I've already have my wire and all ends. I have long runs of cable. I cannot afford to rerun 65' plus the dreadnought. This item although I'm not complaining one bit has put me behind in the tweeters and internal rewire i had planned to finish the 2.3tl's
    Dread on for sure <3

I'm not expecting enough interest but if there is I can try to pull a favors card with him. They do have upgraded termination options for their power cords but I don't recall ever seeing anything about the Neutrik.
    audiothesis.com/

edited January 11
    DSkip wrote: »
    They do have upgraded termination options for their power cords.

Interesting I've always thought they looked pretty darned good stock myself.

• ptrooperptrooper Posts: 255
    Touching base with Westmas guy to see if it fits into my 800 va box.......will get back asap!
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,284
    ptrooper wrote: »
    Touching base with Westmas guy to see if it fits into my 800 va box.......will get back asap!

From Raife's @DarqueKnight Dreadnought Part 2 thread:
    3jknrclj9kor.png

Should fit the Hammond Box
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • ptrooperptrooper Posts: 255
    Thank you Sir ,I will definitely jump into the group buy : )

edited January 12
    ptrooper wrote: »
    Thank you Sir ,I will definitely jump into the group buy : )

Group buy has been ordered. I'm sorry ptrooper the door has been shut on this one.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Thought - if there is interest in a bulk purchase I could ask Larry if they’d consider doing a small run of like the mini eclipse already terminated with neutrik.

Put me on that list....
    Home System:
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t