Group-buy-2019-dreadnought-avel-lindberg-1000va-isolation-transformers

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Crap! I should have bought a half a dozen. Actually @verb should have, he's got money. Or at least a wife that knows how to make some quick.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    I did get one last time (for 2.3tl). This will be my third 1000VA. I've been using an 800va on the 4.1's.

I thought so. This one will be used on my "eventual" 4.1's.

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Crap! I should have bought a half a dozen. Actually @verb should have, he's got money. Or at least a wife that knows how to make some quick.
    Actually, there was a member who did this last time (huge order). I expected him to offer some for sale afterward, but I never saw evidence of this. He has not even been around since then. I still wonder what he did with ALL those transformers.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • audioluvr
    Hope he's okay and there's not a widow out there selling them at an estate sale for five bucks! :#
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • vcwatkins
    Now that the order has been placed, we'll likely have a ton of questions on construction. And I have a few of my own.

On my den and beach rigs, I have been using MIT Shotgun3 speaker cables and Canare 4s11 Dreadnought cables, Neutrik Speakon at both ends. Recently, I bought some used MIT Terminator 4 cables, thinking they might be a better match on the Dreadnought with the S3's for speakers. My questions:
    • How likely is it that the Terminator 4's will be an improvement over Canare 4s11?
    • Should I leave the network boxes in place?
    • If yes, should they go on the DN side?
    • Are there any particular challenges converting from spades/bananas to Speakon connectors?
    Thanks for any help,
    Craig
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • audioluvr
    edited January 2019
    Now that the order has been placed, we'll likely have a ton of questions on construction. And I have a few of my own.

On my den and beach rigs, I have been using MIT Shotgun3 speaker cables and Canare 4s11 Dreadnought cables, Neutrik Speakon at both ends. Recently, I bought some used MIT Terminator 4 cables, thinking they might be a better match on the Dreadnought with the S3's for speakers. My questions:
    • How likely is it that the Terminator 4's will be an improvement over Canare 4s11?
    • Are there any particular challenges converting from spades/bananas to Speakon connectors?
    Thanks for any help,
    Craig

Aren't Terminator 4's unidirectional?

I used the speakons with the faston terminals so I had the capability of soldering on the female ends.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Craig the network boxes i believe come off. Pm Jesse.
    Some speakons i believe screw down onto the wire so yes once again the ends are cut to bare wire. You may have to enlarge the gland for the mit wire to go through.
    Once again Jesse is your man
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    edited January 2019
    ^^^^I just went through the chore of using MIT T4's for my dreadnaught speakon interconnects. To me it was worth the hassle and it was indeed quite the chore as my T4's are bi-wires. The MIT wires are a struggle to work with and you'll need time, patience and a soldering iron to tip the ends. You'll have remove the spades or banana's and you'll just be using the MIT wire. At the advice of f1nut I didn't use the network boxes. I believe this was an upgrade over the Sonic Impact wire I was using. Was it night and day? No it wasn't but it was an upgrade and every bit helps imo. As far as the T4's being an upgrade over the Canares I can vouch for that being an upgrade as well. I upgraded from Canare speaker wire to the T4's quite a while back and that is how I started down the road to an all MIT path. I went from the terminator series to the shotgun series and this is why I had an extra set of T4's waiting to be used for something. The dreadnaught itself is where the big sound upgrade is though. That one is impossible to overlook and will transform your rig.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2019

@vcwatkins, @F1nut
    Craig, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your questions...I have similar questions for my 1.2tl's. I'm using MIT Shotgun S1 bi-wire on my speakers and EXP1's as the IC for my current dreadnought (purchased during the B-Stock sale several years ago). Going to setup the new dreadnought with Neutrik connections vs. the Cardas binding posts in use on the 2 I have.

Jesse, I think I remember you worked w/MIT to build your own IC from bulk cable, so, in addition to Craig's questions...
    • The MIT's are directional...which direction for the wire from the dreadnought to the IC connection on the speaker? (amp to speaker vs. speaker to amp, printed on the cable)
    • Thoughts on potential benefit of doubling up 2 EXP pairs on each run?
    • Should I eliminate the "secret sauce" box on the cable and run straight wire?
    • Thoughts on Canare vs. MIT wire?
    • Or....should I source new wire from MIT of = caliber to the Shotgun S1's, perhaps the EXP's are the same?
    Current system is PS Audio:
    1. BHK Signature Preamp
    2. BHK 250 power amp
    3. Directstream DAC
    IC's are all MIT balanced S3.3's. Additionally, I'd like to redo the 1.2's internal wiring harnesses at some point.

Appreciate any insight you guys might have.

John

p.s. @Viking64 Made you look...TLDR...LOL, again. Just tell me to knock it off if I'm being annoying :smiley:
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    The direction of the wire is not important on the Dreadnought Cable..
  • vcwatkins
    Thanks guys! I was able to find a thread where F1 was selling Terminator cable for Dreadnought use to confirm what you've said above.
    F1nut wrote: »
    I have a quantity of MIT bi-wire speaker cable available for making custom AI-1/Dreadnaught cables. This is labeled MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire and comes with a light gray Techflex type braided sleeve outer cover. This is bulk cable, there are no network boxes (can't be used with the AI-1/Dreadnaught anyway) and is not terminated allowing you to choose your preferred method. The wire and the wiring configuration are exactly the same as the Shotgun cables, which in bulk from MIT is $50.00 a foot. This will be considerably less.
    So it sounds like the Terminator 4 might be a very good match for the Shotgun3 and the boxes definitely come off, as you guys advised above. My wire looks to be the same biwire (purchased here)

I'll give it a spin in the next week or so and will TRY to be patient, hehe. One of my cases is binding post, so I may terminate just one end with Neutrik for the speakers and keep the amp end bananas for the binding post Dreadnought.

Thanks a million for the swell advice!

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    ^^^^^Your intended pair is the same model I used vcwatkins. One thing I forgot to mention is you're going to need to hog the hole out on the Neutrik as the bi-wired T4's are a bit too large. I very carefully used a step drill and went up 3 notches. This was more than I wanted to do but 2 steps wasn't quite enough. Good luck to you
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @dskip would the wireworld bulk cable work for this as well?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited January 2019
    You mean some of you guys are going a different route than Neutrik Speakon cables. I will be paying close attention to what all of you end up doing.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2019
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    You mean some of you guys are going a different route than Neutrik Speakon cables. I will be paying close attention to what all of you end up doing.

I believe and could be wrong but you can still go neutrik with bulk cable.That is where I'm going and Larry i believe said he is making them (cases) that way as well. Of course one could always drill new holes for binding post or whatever else you want.

@erniejade WW is only 16ga. Thinking about doubling up or just using 16ga?
    Unless there is something different skip is offering I'm all ears.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @pitdogg2. Right now I'm only using aq type 4 and wireworld jumpers. I am down for anything! I will change speaker cables eventually.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    Well I've already have my wire and all ends. I have long runs of cable. I cannot afford to rerun 65' plus the dreadnought. This item although I'm not complaining one bit has put me behind in the tweeters and internal rewire i had planned to finish the 2.3tl's
    Dread on for sure <3
  • vcwatkins
    ^^^^^Your intended pair is the same model I used vcwatkins. One thing I forgot to mention is you're going to need to hog the hole out on the Neutrik as the bi-wired T4's are a bit too large. I very carefully used a step drill and went up 3 notches. This was more than I wanted to do but 2 steps wasn't quite enough. Good luck to you
    Gotcha, thanks. I thought it looked like it would be a difficult fit. Ordering a couple extra Neutriks, hehe.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    That's my plan going with Neutriks just like on my 800 VA.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    They do have upgraded termination options for their power cords.

Interesting I've always thought they looked pretty darned good stock myself.

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Touching base with Westmas guy to see if it fits into my 800 va box.......will get back asap!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    ptrooper wrote: »
    Touching base with Westmas guy to see if it fits into my 800 va box.......will get back asap!

From Raife's @DarqueKnight Dreadnought Part 2 thread:
    3jknrclj9kor.png

Should fit the Hammond Box
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Thank you Sir ,I will definitely jump into the group buy : )

• pitdogg2
    edited January 2019
    ptrooper wrote: »
    Thank you Sir ,I will definitely jump into the group buy : )

Group buy has been ordered. I'm sorry ptrooper the door has been shut on this one.
  • audioluvr
    DSkip wrote: »
    Thought - if there is interest in a bulk purchase I could ask Larry if they’d consider doing a small run of like the mini eclipse already terminated with neutrik.

Put me on that list....
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Wow, how cool is this! I've been tuned out for a bit, buried in construction at the house I bought a year ago. Glad to see another group buy going strong! And glad I'm not running it!!! The last one I did went off the rails.....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Fun times - can we rename this thread "Group Buys Gone Wild!" The action starts on page 8 towards the bottom. If anyone wants to see a case study in how to get yourself banned from Club Polk, here it is:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/162344/dreadnaught-avel-lindberg-1000va-transformer-group-buy/p8
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/162344/dreadnaught-avel-lindberg-1000va-transformer-group-buy/p8[/quote]
    Wow, just wow. That was an interesting read. This GB was a sunday walk in the park compared to the drama in that one.
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Though, sadly there is apparently a current issue with a long term member here that was also somewhat involved in that discussion. But on the positive side that member has a strong support group of 'Polkies' here on the forum. I'm not involved in it but am always glad to see 'common sense' solidarity among the many members here. B)B)
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    nspindel wrote: »
    Fun times - can we rename this thread "Group Buys Gone Wild!" The action starts on page 8 towards the bottom. If anyone wants to see a case study in how to get yourself banned from Club Polk, here it is:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/162344/dreadnaught-avel-lindberg-1000va-transformer-group-buy/p8

Hey Neil! That was indeed a train wreck
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/