The world is laughing at US

Options
Common core math......
"Tell how to make 10 when adding 8+5."

The student wrote, “You cannot make 10 with 8 + 5,” to which the teacher apparently replied in blue ink, “Yes you can. Take 2 from 5 and add it to 8 (8+2=10) Then add 3.”

I'm at a loss for words.......

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• westmassguy
    Options
    All part of the new world order. Makes me sick.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    Not everything is a conspiracy nowadays....unless you are referring the the first Bushes NWO ;)
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,339
    Options
    FWIW, it doesn't have to be a "conspiracy" to be ridiculous... Here's the now infamous father's check written to the school in common core terms...

image.jpg1_zps31t3ksre.jpg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Common core started with good goals - standardization of basic math and language skills. So a student in one state testing at the a particular level would be equivalent to another student at the same test level in a different state. It unified already established state standards across multiple states. That's it, that was it's initial goal. From what I read it also did not specify how to teach. It only specified what a specific age level child was supposed to know. It started without federal government intervention and grew because it actually was a good program. It had bipartisan support at the state level with many states adopting it.

What we have today is a quite different and worthy of ridicule and rejection.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,090
    edited September 2015
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Common core math......
    "Tell how to make 10 when adding 8+5."

The student wrote, “You cannot make 10 with 8 + 5,” to which the teacher apparently replied in blue ink, “Yes you can. Take 2 from 5 and add it to 8 (8+2=10) Then add 3.”

I'm at a loss for words.......

I am as well. Not having kids, I haven't followed the "core" teachings. But, if this is a common theme and not just one of the extremes, we are all in trouble.

It even defies logic if you look past the mathematical properties. On no level can I see the teachers statement making sense, let alone being a correct mathematical equation.

My opinion is solely based on the quote as presented here. Perhaps it's part of a larger exercise of some sort of abstract analysis. But, I'm not seeing it.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    This is the larger exercise....

http://www.democratsagainstunagenda21.com/common-core-is-agenda-21.html

Parents don't want it, most teachers don't want it, yet it's another thing being shoved down our throats. While we pay for it with no option to get out. No option for most that is because most can't afford private schools while still having to pay the nut for public schools on your tax bill. If you could take that money and put it towards private school tuition, things would change, but they have your kids and your wallet captive.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    It all figures in to the overall scheme.

The new math is: you can pass legislation with 37 votes but not with 64 votes. 1 is greater than 64 you see? This is Bizzaro world stuff here folks. Time to watch Idiocracy again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,066
    Options
    Four-thirds of Americans, including me, struggle with arithmetic involving fractions.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Common Core is on its way out. The eggheads come up with something new every five to seven years to just8fy their jobs and keep the giant publishing companies in the black. Cant wait to see whats next.
  • tonyb
    Options
    It's sad really, my 9 year old grandson got marked wrong on his math test with 8x5. His answer was 40, which is correct, but in common core it is not.

What kind of lunacy is going on in our public schools ? Apparently, the answer isn't as important as the means of which you achieved that answer. Thank God I don't have kids in public school today. I'd home school before subjecting them to this nonsense.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    Options
    Was it marked wrong because he did not use or show the process? Not that i think it matters, but i know many teachers who adopt a "my way or the highway policy".
  • tonyb
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Was it marked wrong because he did not use or show the process? Not that i think it matters, but i know many teachers who adopt a "my way or the highway policy".

The process he was told to use didn't come up with the correct answer. But he already knew what the correct answer was, so I guess you could say he was marked wrong for not following the process.

What good is it to follow a process that doesn't lead to the correct answer though ? What is the lesson being taught ?

Do as your told even though it's wrong ? The ends justify the means....even if it's wrong ? The correct answer isn't as important as the process ?

This goes against all that is logical by any sense of the word. This has more to do with conditioning young minds to a certain way of thinking other than what they are accustomed to. Education in a way is about conditioning young minds, but not indoctrinating them. Our public school systems are now the worlds largest indoctrination centers.

China, Russia, crazies in the middle east use the same tactics.....emotion, to indoctrinate their young minds. We talk about Math a lot when talking Common Core, but it's reach is in all subjects. What it does to English, books, History also should be of great concern.

Kevhed,

BTW....it was the 2nd Bush that signed on to Agenda 21.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Here's a not too short version of what we are talking about.

http://americanpolicy.org/agenda21/

Read it, and tell me you can't see all the signs in your own community/schools/government. This is not some made up B.S.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Common Core, and all it's associated issues and agendas aside...

As an engineer, I actually agree with the concept behind the method to solve the equation Jesse opened this thread with. However, the way it was presented and the question asked was horribly wrong and IS a joke. I was NOT taught math using the common core concepts, yet, I figured (on my own) a way that works for ME.

I've always visualized numbers quantitatively and for me it was always easier to add the 1's, 10's, 100's, etc. individually. That's what's being taught here... again, horribly wrong though. 8+5=13. We could either teach our children to memorize the basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division equations for all combinations (typically 1-10), OR we could teach them how to arrive at the answer quantitatively.

I look at the question this way... 8 is close to 10. You only need 2 more to get to 10. You can borrow 2 from the 5 (leaving 3). Now you have your 10's digit and your 1's digit. Yes, I agree that it's much more 'lengthy' for this simple of an equation, but it most definitely helps once you get into larger numbers.

That's what's being taught here. The question was an attempt to ask how to do the first step. There would have been two acceptable answers - you can make the "10's" part by either taking 2 from the 5 and adding it to the 8, or taking 5 from the 8 and adding it to the 5.

Once kids "get" this concept, it usually makes math a bit easier for them. Case in point, I have two daughters 12 and 10. My 12-year old hates math, thinks it's useless, and struggles through getting mediocre grades. She just does NOT get the concept of breaking down the numbers to make things easier to add/subtract. My 10-year old is a wiz at math. She gets it. She consistently amazes me with more complex addition and subtraction getting the correct answer in her head. When I ask her how she did it... she basically explains how she broke the numbers down into the 1's, 10's, 100's, etc.

So, all this to say that although I somewhat agree with the attempt to teach this concept, to Jesse's point, I agree that taken out of context, the way this question was worded does in fact make us look like fools!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,339
    Options
    The wonderful thing about math, is that at least up to and including calculus, is that it's not open to interpretation - It's right, or it's wrong. period. It doesn't matter how you feel about the answer, and it really doesn't matter how hard you tried - It's right, or it's wrong.

I personally think it was a GOOD thing that our generation learned times tables, long division, and how to "carry" numbers in addition and multiplication. Those skills sent men to the moon, built the industrialized society, and built the computer age.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Mikey081057
    Options
    Are the countries who are kicking our butts in education using common core? Honest question and I don't know the answer.

I under stand that CC is to "level out" education test scores at the US "State Level" but the focus needs to be on educating our students to be the 1st in the world not 36th.

In my mind CC might bring the lower states up but the top states down... which may give us a higher average but harm the top students. That's big GOV for you... You get what you vote for.

http://www.usnews.com/news/special-reports/articles/2014/02/25/how-does-common-core-compare-to-other-countries

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Common Core, and all it's associated issues and agendas aside...

As an engineer, I actually agree with the concept behind the method to solve the equation Jesse opened this thread with. However, the way it was presented and the question asked was horribly wrong and IS a joke. I was NOT taught math using the common core concepts, yet, I figured (on my own) a way that works for ME.

I've always visualized numbers quantitatively and for me it was always easier to add the 1's, 10's, 100's, etc. individually. That's what's being taught here... again, horribly wrong though. 8+5=13. We could either teach our children to memorize the basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division equations for all combinations (typically 1-10), OR we could teach them how to arrive at the answer quantitatively.

I look at the question this way... 8 is close to 10. You only need 2 more to get to 10. You can borrow 2 from the 5 (leaving 3). Now you have your 10's digit and your 1's digit. Yes, I agree that it's much more 'lengthy' for this simple of an equation, but it most definitely helps once you get into larger numbers.

That's what's being taught here. The question was an attempt to ask how to do the first step. There would have been two acceptable answers - you can make the "10's" part by either taking 2 from the 5 and adding it to the 8, or taking 5 from the 8 and adding it to the 5.

Once kids "get" this concept, it usually makes math a bit easier for them. Case in point, I have two daughters 12 and 10. My 12-year old hates math, thinks it's useless, and struggles through getting mediocre grades. She just does NOT get the concept of breaking down the numbers to make things easier to add/subtract. My 10-year old is a wiz at math. She gets it. She consistently amazes me with more complex addition and subtraction getting the correct answer in her head. When I ask her how she did it... she basically explains how she broke the numbers down into the 1's, 10's, 100's, etc.

So, all this to say that although I somewhat agree with the attempt to teach this concept, to Jesse's point, I agree that taken out of context, the way this question was worded does in fact make us look like fools!

Don't confuse people with the facts. They would rather believe conspiracy theories.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,090
    Options
    Agreed, the idea is one I have used since I was young and long, long, before it was taught in schools.

The question is horrible in the way it's asked, simply horrible.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    What kind of lunacy is going on in our public schools ? Apparently, the answer isn't as important as the means of which you achieved that answer. Thank God I don't have kids in public school today. I'd home school before subjecting them to this nonsense.

Um..., ya, this is just ONE reason we home school all of our kids...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    I guess the problem lies in that we took something simple and made complex such that teachers cant get it right or easy to screw up, HOW IS THAT BETTER?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    When I first saw Jesse's post I was very confused, until I read scubalab's post. Makes sense to me. Just a different way to get the answer. Might be easier for some minds, harder for others.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,374
    Options
    I have some experience with this through elementary school age nieces in Kentucky, which was one of the first States to adopt the new methods. From what I've seen of the new methods of teaching introductory math, it's the parents who are more confused than the kids because it is a different method than the rote memorization and single formula methods taught for decades. I tried to help one six year old with some homework mid way through her book and had to go back to the beginning and ask her to explain what was needed to figure out what was supposed to be done.

Schools have not been doing a good job of explaining why the new methods are better for the average child, and many parents tend to scratch their heads when they look at the "games" their kids are working on when there is a much faster, usually memorized, way of getting to the same answer. The new methods are mainly visually oriented ways of taking a kid through multiple steps so they better understand why numbers work the way they do rather than just memorizing methods. This is why I view them as games. They do seem to interest kids more than the older methods.

After looking into the methods, they do make sense to me as long as they aren't taken out of context. Schools could do a better job of realizing they aren't just teaching kids, they are relying on parents to help teach the kids too and many parents don't understand why schools are saying the new methods are more beneficial to the way kids learn math.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Common core started with good goals - standardization of basic math and language skills. So a student in one state testing at the a particular level would be equivalent to another student at the same test level in a different state. It unified already established state standards across multiple states. That's it, that was it's initial goal. From what I read it also did not specify how to teach. It only specified what a specific age level child was supposed to know. It started without federal government intervention and grew because it actually was a good program. It had bipartisan support at the state level with many states adopting it.

What we have today is a quite different and worthy of ridicule and rejection.

the road to hell...
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    If Jack has 30 candy bars and eats 25 what does Jack have now? Diabetes!
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Emlyn - you hit the nail on the head. I was thoroughly confused with my first daughter's math homework (our school district in Central PA called it "Everyday Math"). It used a lot of estimating, probability, and an entirely new way to multiply and divide (the multiplication was the "lattice method"). It took some getting used to, but it is an interesting way to look at math. I actually like the lattice method for long multiplication. You are right though, it was nothing like what we learned as children!

Skip - if you missed the thread from the other day (that has been closed), the sample Jesse references came from what I think was an actual question, answer, and teacher's comment (there are pictures of the actual assignment floating around out there). And yes, taken out of context, it makes the teacher look ridiculous (mostly due to the horrible wording of the question).

What grade/subjects do you teach? It's refreshing to get your take on things! I hold a lot of respect for you and your profession. If I were to change careers, teaching is where my heart lies. I teach many safety/construction/basic engineering classes through some contracts my company is fortunate to have, and those are the days I truly LOVE my job.

Peace ~ Al
  • tonyb
    Options
    I don't have a problem with teaching different processes.....as long as all of them come up with the right answer. The right answer is not subjective, it's either right or wrong....no grey areas.

You cannot add 8+5 and come up with anything other than 13.
    You can't multiply 8x5 and come up with anything other than 40. regardless of the process used, the answer has to be the same.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    Options
    I asked a group of 3rd graders: "If Brooklyns cat had 7 kittens and she wanted to give them to her 2 friends, how many kittens would each friend get?" The unanimous answer was 3 1/2 kittens.

I then asked them who would want 1/2 a kitten? There was giggling and some ewwwwwws, but it was a good way to start a lesson on Reasonable Answers. Practical applications of Mathematics has to start at an early age.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    I thought the illegal immigrants were to blame....or was It Obama?
    I have struggled through some well written and some poorly written examples of common core math with my kids. Since common core is relatively new to public schools, and our nations education system has been near the bottom of the global rankings for decades now....is it really to blame? Perhaps if parents volunteered more and took more interest in their kid's school work....maybe we're on to something there.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited September 2015
    Options
    A little general history on the CCS:

The whole movement to Common Core has been a classic case of putting the cart before the horse. The final standards were written with scant few master classroom teachers, most of the spots went to consultants. The standards were adopted without being tried out. Finally, they were adopted across the board k-12 all at once instead of starting with kindergarten 1st year, k and 1 second year and so on. (When Finland changed its methods they started with adding one grade a year plan).

This forced a serious of chaotic changes, students are having to learn information without having in some cases a foundation of previous learning. These holes have created all sorts of learning struggles among students, especially in math and science curriculums. The financial impact has been huge, textbooks and materials had to be replaced all at once in order to meet the CC standards. Of course, Pearson textbook publisher was the main driver and had many, many more people on the standards committees. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

I will say that by the end of 12th grade the standards make sense, the problem is that along the way some topics are taught in different sequences. The original goals of CCS were honorable, the problem was that the for-profit education industry and clueless political grandstanding overpowered proven educational research and best practices. Blaming teachers and instead trusting politicians and for-profit industry is a recipe for disaster.
    Post edited by markmarc on
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I guess it's better than having a classroom smelling like feet, because the kids ran out of fingers to count on.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant