Game of Thrones

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Exactly! So stupid.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Admittedly, I never saw a single episode, but if the talk about how it came to an end is accurate, I am glad I didn’t. Sounds a bit like the contrived way they brought Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek TNG to their conclusions....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Admittedly, I never saw a single episode, but if the talk about how it came to an end is accurate, I am glad I didn’t. Sounds a bit like the contrived way they brought Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek TNG to their conclusions....

Or The Sopranos.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Sopranos was a let down too
    You know what wasn’t, the end of season 1 (even though they had other seasons, it was different character story lines) of True Detective.
    Best show on HBO to date IMO
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Well, I guess I will put my 2 cent stamp on this;

1. Jon Killing Dany was put in motion 2 episodes ago, once he and others found out who he really was.

2. Dany's actions of destroying the city confirm peoples worst fears about her, and Gray Worm anger over losing Ms Sundie only harden his stance, that no matter what he was going to kill everyone that stood with Cerise.

3. The Hound and his brother (the Mountain) was about the most fitting end for them both.

4. Arya, once the Hound told her life is better than death and the amount of death she saw in the city from Dany, I thought she run back to Gendry.

5.The death of Cerise and Jamie, was very weak, but it showed the deep love Jamie had for his sister and the same for Tyrion for setting him free to allow them to escape.

6. The Ending, Of all the death of all the main cast over the past 8 years (Yes 8 Years! we have given a part of our lives to this series) Brandon by becoming the 3 eye raven has the wisdom and knowledge of the past and future to lead the six kingdoms. Which I felt was a slap in the face to those other kingdoms when Sansa said no (did anyone notice Robin, Prince of the vail sitting there). Brandon was smart by making Tyrion his hand so the unsullied could not kill him. And the deal with Jon release was a planned effort as he was not made Lord Commander of the watch as he once was but only sentence him to the watch. As Lord Commander he would have been required to report back to the king on the states of the wall (which is not really needed anymore as the night king is dead and there is peace between the free folks and the 7 kingdoms, also the rule of Brandon does not extend beyond the wall. Sansa kept with her father's wishes and kept the north independent (her own kingdom, with about 6-8 houses under her rule). Arya is a toss up, one ship and crew with only her rep as the "Slayer of The Night King", she is bada##, but how far will it take her.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    dromunds wrote: »
    Who would even be employed by the brothels?

Umm....Russ ??

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Why were they concerned about rebuilding the brothels when there was nobody left in the city to use them? I thought everyone died and the city was completely destroyed.

We certainly know the unsullied have no use for brothels!
    How about the Dothraki? But they don't have any money, so... Come to think of it, those dudes are now a bit of a head-scratcher. They were in quite a frenzy after Dany's last speech, and then the next thing we see are a few of them strolling around near the docks. They seem to have turned quite chill after their queen was killed.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    What I want to know is: How did all of you guys get your virginity back?
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    The ending had it's pros and cons. Overall it wasn't horrible but not great. Can't make everyone happy. Either way I thought it was a fitting series finale.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    Viking64 wrote: »

Definitely not a show for virgins....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Why were they concerned about rebuilding the brothels when there was nobody left in the city to use them? I thought everyone died and the city was completely destroyed.

We certainly know the unsullied have no use for brothels!

that was just Bronn talking.. nobody else on the consul listening to him..

I thought it finish the only way it could.. I have no problems with it all....read all the books years ago...the Series was so much better in the long run..not what I wanted but I can live with it!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »

Definitely not a show for virgins....

Show me a virgin
  • daddyjt
    iao30zzpclkf.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    This might explain the rush to end 'Thrones...
    https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-2022-david-benioff-db-weiss/
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    This might explain the rush to end 'Thrones...
    https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-2022-david-benioff-db-weiss/

Ha! So they laid waste to my favorite HBO series so now they can go destroy a series that's already been a joke for years. Fitting.

Noticed the 'net is now abuzz about Sam trying to hide a water bottle behind his foot when they pull Tyrion before the lords to be judged.

Random thoughts:
    Where did Drogon fly off to with Dany's body? A fitting end would have shown her opening her eyes after Drogon flew her back to the remains of Old Valyria. Perhaps one of the volcanos responsible for the Doom has risen above the Smoking Sea and he's returned her "home". Dragons were born of Blood Magic 5,000 years ago, Blood Magic brought Jon Snow back from the dead, why not Dany?

How did they move around so fast in Season 8. In season 1 it took King Robert a month to get north to Winterfell. It took the Hound almost an entire season to get Arya from Kings Landing to the Vale. It took them only one episode to go from Winterfell to Kings Landing in Season 8 and apparently Cersei is one of those women who don't get a baby bump. If the Wall is 100 leagues wide then it's 500 leagues from Winterfell to Kings Landing. If "Planetos" leagues are a long as Earth leagues or about 3.5 miles, it's a haul south.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• daddyjt
    In related news, it’s predicted HBO will lose up to 20% of its subscribers, now that GOT has ended.

Ouch...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/game-of-thrones-ending-hbo-subscribers

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    We started our HBO Now subscription the night season 8 started. Binge watched the first 7 seasons from DVD. Other than GOT we have been watching Chernobyl. That will be over in 2 more episode then we will likely cancel.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I have not had HBO for a few years so missed some of the shows. May just let the subscription roll for two or three months to catch up on things that were on but I didn't feel the need to buy on disc. It would be much easier to justify keeping it longer term if the monthly fee was more like $9 instead of $15.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    DaveHo wrote: »
    We started our HBO Now subscription the night season 8 started. Binge watched the first 7 seasons from DVD. Other than GOT we have been watching Chernobyl. That will be over in 2 more episode then we will likely cancel.

I missed G.O.T. but I'm hooked on Chernobyl now. Last night was intense.

I'm really impressed at how "time period correct" this series looks! How do they do this?

I don't think I'll ever binge watch G.O.T. knowing the disappointment of tens of thousands of fans that have voiced their disappointment about this last season's ending.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    GOT is one of the best series of all time, you'd be missing that if you never watch it. Make up your own mind about the ending
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Tony M wrote: »

I'm really impressed at how "time period correct" this series looks! How do they do this?

I don't think I'll ever binge watch G.O.T. knowing the disappointment of tens of thousands of fans that have voiced their disappointment about this last season's ending.

Agree, Chernobyl has been great so far!

As for the amount of people upset with GoT, the petition online to remake the season already has nearly 1.5 MILLION signatures, let alone the people upset that are never going to sign the petition (people like me...).

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    dromunds wrote: »
    GOT is one of the best series of all time, you'd be missing that if you never watch it. Make up your own mind about the ending

Very true. I started watching the first season again a couple weeks ago. It's fun to catch things that I did not notice when I watched it when it was originally on. One thing early on was Ned Stark's reaction when he was listening to the King say he was going to kill every Targaryen, knowing he had been protecting one for years. It was very similar to Jon Snow's reaction in the last episode when Daenerys basically said she was going to conquer Winterfell next.

• Tony M
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

Agree, Chernobyl has been great so far!

As for the amount of people upset with GoT, the petition online to remake the season already has nearly 1.5 MILLION signatures, let alone the people upset that are never going to sign the petition (people like me...).

Dang that's a lot!

OK, I'll probably watch it in the near future. B) Ending being what it is def. won't change from what little I've seen on a talk show today or yesterday..
  • codycatalist
    It's worth your time Tony...it's worth your time.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Tony M
    I'm on the look-out for some season box-sets on Craig's list now! :D
  • codycatalist
    If you have HBO through your cable provider which sounds like you do then you can usually just use the HBO website or app to watch on demand.

• Tony M
    I do have HBO.

But right now, I shouldn't start at the beginning using the TV link. There's 8 seasons to watch ( or 7 1/2 ) so it will be lower on the to do list but certainly there! Just like that sci-fi series from 10 years ago ( something FLY ) that was abruptly canceled that a lot of people loved. I have it on DVD or Blu-ray but have yet to start it.

I WILL get G.O.T. and probably binge-watch it while I'm out clearing the cottage up. Maybe I need to SIT and watch it to get details.

Pawn shops should have some seasons very cheap also!

I need to buy "The Pacific" series also. My wife and I binge-watched "Band of Brothers" every night almost for a week or more and LOVED every minute of it. It was like being at a theater watching it here. :D

So when I do watch G.O.T., it will have a full 5.1 surround of HIGH quality either in this house or better yet, out in the cottage on those RT3000Ps, CS1000P, FX300's and 2 Klipsch 12" subs. :p:D And maybe even on the 100" screen using that 1200.00 Sony projector. :o Yea Baby!

Darn I've got to get my butt in gear asap. I'm almost there too!
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Tony, are you referring to "Space, Above and Beyond" great series on Fox that got cancel way too soon. I have a box set from a ebay seller, could not find an actual studio copy release.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    We just watched it tonight. Though it was good, except I had hoped Cersi would get an exquisite death from Dany. It's only a TV show people.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/