Do power cables make a difference?

18910111214»

Comments

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,531
    Clipdat wrote: »
    "Back" in the 80s? I was born in the 80s..

Sup gramps?
    Normally I am one of the oldest members of forums that I frequent. Here? Not so much. :p
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,804

Sup gramps?
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Nope. HAHAHA Back in the 80's, that may have been an interest, but the internet has dulled the appeal, if you catch my drift. :p

That EXPLAINS a LOT....
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,461
    Such as?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That EXPLAINS a LOT....

Got Dayens?
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,353
    Such as?
    That EXPLAINS a LOT....

You're too young to hear about such things right now. :# :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Tony M wrote: »
    Such as?
    That EXPLAINS a LOT....

You're too young to hear about such things right now. :# :D

Bingo
    Oh I thought you were going to list some actual things, but if you're just flapping your gums then that's cool too.
    Got Dayens?
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,040
    I was already getting speeding tickets and chasing chicks in the early 80's >:)

....30 years later, nothing has changed too. :)

Before the thread goes off the rails, like these usually do, bottom line is to tune out all the negativity and simply try a few for yourself, listen with your ears and then make judgements as it applies to you.

It's not hard, doesn't warrant 14 pages of back and forth. You have to approach these things with an open mind, and no wax build up in the ears. ;) :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,015
    edited April 23

Sup gramps?
    Nope. HAHAHA Back in the 80's, that may have been an interest, but the internet has dulled the appeal, if you catch my drift. :p

Same here. early/Mid 80's.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

Neat.

I wish you would've replied to this post of mine instead, so I'll just paste it again here:
    Cool, why don't you drop $100 on a Shunyata Venom 14 and have your husband setup a blind test for you against a stock cord on your source, and see what you think.

Are you afraid that you might prefer the sound of the Shunyata?
    K_M wrote: »
    Blind means to listen without knowledge of what is being used.

It is a method of seeing if a difference is truly real to the listener or they are simply perceiving a difference aided by knowledge of what is being used.

Same here. early/Mid 80's.

Got Dayens?
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,602
    When it comes to power cables you need, don't forget the Douglas Connection custom power cable selection. :)

And he will be personally signing autographs in two weeks at Lonestar audio fest
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,723
    I'm still not soiling myself and you have moved up to training bras

Hahahahaha!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,453
    edited April 23

Sup gramps?

That EXPLAINS a LOT....

Every generation says the same thing. The Beatles? Sounds like noise to me! Elvis? Devils music, look at the way he shakes his hips! Back in my day we were in the coal mines by 14, look at these kids at their Woodstock's making premarital sex and doing drugs, we're doomed when they take over. To the dismay of your older generation you turned fine.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,132
    If I take someone up an an "Offer"...
    Innuendo for one who cares infinitely more about being right, about serving their agenda, their ego, than getting to truth.
    it will not be announced publicly but will be done in PM.
    perfect! You can protect your ego by hiding behind the internet. Perish the thought that you have accountability to someone.

No, my dear lady, it is YOU w/a member present, that must prove to all these people you checked it out by the numbers. A member present during the trial will provide accountability of the process and if your system can resolve the difference/truth. W/out someone present you can and will say what serves your agenda. You expect these people to do what you can’t - trust another.

Your personality type can’t handle conflict. If backed into a corner, where you hafta choose between your ego or your integrity shutting down prevents your compromising either because you hafta win.
    I can not force you to quit replying to me...geez.
    too bad the same applies to all Polk Forum members.

In conclusion, it’s beyond logical why I, or anyone else, should waste any more time or olive branches on you.

Good day.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, DirecTV Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7. Woofers, Rotel 98X amp; M & T, P'sound HCA-1000
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: 1 Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3*
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
    *Bi-amped by years end
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,388
    No, popular music today is garbage. I suppose someone will want proof that it bites. I say just listen.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/10/hit-charade/403192/
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

No, popular music today is garbage. I suppose someone will want proof that it bites. I say just listen.

I fully agree. There are a lot of kids and teenagers that don't agree with us though. Just the same as how The Beatles were universally loved by your generation but your grandparents said it was noise, garbage. It's the circle of life.
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,132

It is a method of seeing if a difference is truly real to the listener or they are simply perceiving a difference aided by knowledge of what is being used.
    DUH! You’ve taken beating a dead horse to new heights! We covered blind testing, what, 40-50 posts ago? Add to that pointing out the incredibly obvious.

Two other technics of your personality type to avoid owning up to the truth.

We get you’re a sceptic’s sceptic.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, DirecTV Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7. Woofers, Rotel 98X amp; M & T, P'sound HCA-1000
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: 1 Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3*
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
    *Bi-amped by years end
    edited April 24
    gp4jesus wrote: »

DUH! You’ve taken beating a dead horse to new heights! We covered blind testing, what, 40-50 posts ago? Add to that pointing out the incredibly obvious.

Two other technics of your personality type to avoid owning up to the truth.

We get you’re a sceptic.
    Fixit
    Post edited by KennethSwauger on
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

Nightfall wrote: »

I fully agree. There are a lot of kids and teenagers that don't agree with us though. Just the same as how The Beatles were universally loved by your generation but your grandparents said it was noise, garbage. It's the circle of life.

Actually my parents were into The Beatles and they are older than me :#

Kids these days were raised on garbage and wouldn't know creativity if it smashed them in the face on the sole of a jump boot. Kids born in the early to mid eighties seem to struggle with critical thinking more so than others. Probably the fluoridated water has mutated their prefontal cortex.

Hello Kitty boombox

edited April 23

Sometimes, man. Sometimes you are hilarious. That's pretty funny. :D

I have immortalized these words in my sig.
    My parents weren't into the Beatles... Elvis yes Rock n Roll no effin way that was music of the "long hairs" so of course i loved me some Rock n Roll. Only a little of the Beatles though.
    ;)
    That reminds me, I'd been meaning to add a gem of his into my sig from the old MP3 is dead thread. Added!
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I have immortalized these words in my sig.

Got Dayens?
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,932
    When it comes to power cables you need, don't forget the Douglas Connection custom power cable selection. :)

I just bought 3 new power cables from Doug for a friend a week or 2 ago! He is very happy with them. I use the Bravo 15 for awhile before i gave it to him also :p
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 249
    edited April 23
    Like death and taxes, hearing loss is inevitable as we age. Over the years, I test at what frequency my hearing stops lately 14~15khz. A long while back I tested my hearing vs a female cousin of mine, I was older by 1 year, my hearing stopped at 16khz, hers kept going up to 20khz for her it was faint but still audible to her. So I can agree she heard the sounds much like I can also agree people maybe hearing differences on their own system using stock and upgraded. Is the difference quantifiable?

I can still hear very well based on my own standards but I do not know how others experience sound and how their brains process it so I can only say with my experience, I’m not able to hear the subtle differences in cables. Other equipment yes, eg vinyl vs CD, different speakers, different amps. etc

Per reference in wikipedia on hearing in humans:

The range shrinks during life,[14] usually beginning at around age of eight with the upper frequency limit being reduced. Women typically experience a lesser degree of hearing loss than men, with a later onset. Men have approximately 5 to 10 dB greater loss in the upper frequencies by age 40.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
    mpitogo wrote: »
    Like death and taxes, hearing loss is inevitable as we age. Over the years, I test at what frequency my hearing stops lately 14~15khz. A long while back I tested my hearing vs a female cousin of mine, I was older by 1 year, my hearing stopped at 16khz, hers kept going up to 20khz for her it was faint but still audible to her. So I can agree she heard the sounds much like I can also agree people maybe hearing differences on their own system using stock and upgraded. Is the difference quantifiable?

I can still hear very well based on my own standards but I do not know how others experience sound and how their brains process it so I can only say with my experience, I’m not able to hear the subtle differences in cables. Other equipment yes, eg vinyl vs CD, different speakers, different amps. etc

Per reference in wikipedia on hearing in humans:

The range shrinks during life,[14] usually beginning at around age of eight with the upper frequency limit being reduced. Women typically experience a lesser degree of hearing loss than men, with a later onset. Men have approximately 5 to 10 dB greater loss in the upper frequencies by age 40.

What!!! That should be in bold print so i can hear it :*
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,015
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    If I take someone up an an "Offer"...
    Innuendo for one who cares infinitely more about being right, about serving their agenda, their ego, than getting to truth.
    it will not be announced publicly but will be done in PM.
    perfect! You can protect your ego by hiding behind the internet. Perish the thought that you have accountability to someone.

No, my dear lady, it is YOU w/a member present, that must prove to all these people you checked it out by the numbers. A member present during the trial will provide accountability of the process and if your system can resolve the difference/truth. W/out someone present you can and will say what serves your agenda. You expect these people to do what you can’t - trust another.

Your personality type can’t handle conflict. If backed into a corner, where you hafta choose between your ego or your integrity shutting down prevents your compromising either because you hafta win.
    I can not force you to quit replying to me...geez.
    too bad the same applies to all Polk Forum members.

In conclusion, it’s beyond logical why I, or anyone else, should waste any more time or olive branches on you.

Good day.

Well with that winning personality and positive vibe, you will be the first invited over no doubt!
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

18910111214»