Options

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    It is until he provides measurements.

Or you look at any chart that show the 6db roll off that a single cap creates in series with a tweeter. Rock on CL:rolleyes:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Rock on CL:rolleyes:
    Yep as long as he is happy with the results then thats all that really matters.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Your comments still don't mean anything until you've tried the cap. We're talking about audio here, not my past or your past. Tweakers and DIY's are always trying something new that no one else has ever tried before. If you don't like to read about tweaking and DIY projects and ideas then don't.

OK tried the caps and found they made the speakers sound better only when I taped a magnet into each ear...yes mags and caps are truly the answer....:rolleyes:
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited March 2008
    Options
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Get bent, Carl.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Yes my romex 10 ga speaker wire is nice and bent :)

And I bend the leads of the caps over twice before I crimp to make the terminals nice and tight.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31246
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    Options
    CL I love you man. You are still fighting the good fight. I have not and will not try this but if it works for you cool. But how many people have to tell you there isn't anything good to accomplish in doing this before you stop preaching.

Seriously people are really starting to think you have a problem. It's like fighting with a woman no matter if she is wrong or right you cannot win. Sooner or later we just give up. We never agree we just give up.

There is no way the sl2000 is going to sound better then a RDO. That is why polk went with the RDO. That is also why they stopped selling the SL2000.

You are not hearing the spike anymore because you are not hearing all of your tweeters anymore. You might as well disconnect the one with the cap. It would probably do the same thing. For those of us with just one tweeter per side this will not help it will only hinder the tweeter useless. Like you have done with your center tweeter.

Keep on fighting.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Joe, I appreciate the respect. I haven't brought this subject up for 3 days http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=823645&postcount=50 but others seem to want to keep discussing it so I've made comments to clarify any misinformation that has been posted.

carl
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited March 2008
    Options
    It's brought up because you have it in your signature for everyone to see. YOU made up a part number for something that doesn't even exist. There is NO SUCH THING as a SL2000WC. IF you don't believe me, call Polk Customer Service and ask. Please do call and let us know what they tell you.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Did you read what you wrote. You waited 3 whole days to bring it up again.

That is what we are talking about.

I am cool with this thread but it is brought up everywhere in the forum. It is just getting out of hand.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I always keep one hand in my pants when I post on Club Polk.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited March 2008
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I always keep one hand in my pants when I post on Club Polk.

Whose hand?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I'm not picky and it depends on who's in town.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Carl, tell us more. What other weird things are you doing? That is, aside from the cap thing and using a 10 ga wire while you bend over...or did I read that wrong?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I sleep in gloves filled with hand lotion.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Options
    That's hot.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Carl, tell us more. What other weird things are you doing? That is, aside from the cap thing and using a 10 ga wire while you bend over...or did I read that wrong?

I'm glad you asked.

For now this is where I'm at:

2B's: 2.2 uf (mfd) 250 v, I don't think it will get any better than this.
    2.3's: 1.0 uf (mfd) 250 v only on the middle tweeter, Couldn't be happier with it.
    SRS's: 2.2 uf (mfd) 250 v + 1.0 uf (mfd) 250 v in series only on the 3rd tweeter from the top, Still more testing and listening to do

Using only sl2000 tweeters of course. I haven't found anything better than them including the sl3000 and the rd0194.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2008
    Options
    You know, I get that it's hip to be unconventional. However, there is a fine line between unconventional and being looney and our hero crossed that line a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

We get it, because for SOME reason you had a positive reaction to something that is outside of the 'norm' related to your health...you went off the deep end. Now EVERYTHING that is mainstream or commonly accepted..you take a issue with. Any attempt to show your BS as BS is easily dismissed as being closed-minded etc etc.

If that's what you want to believe, god bless, man. However, the rest of the population sees your **** for what it is, ****. Most of your noise doesn't pass the common sense test (which makes it easy for you to dismiss as 'you haven't tried this'...which you are right but I haven't hooked my ballbag up to a pair of jumper cables either on the same logic). So, for the love of god: SHUT THE F**K UP. I can't take any more of you hocus pocus medicine, FrankenPolk tweeters, ridiculous posts requesting personal info....the whole gambit. I, I just can't take anymore of your crap.

Read books, take up painting, **** more often.....for the love of god, though, knock off the crap.

SERENITY NOW!!!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options
    It is what it is. I don't ask you to read my posts.
  • avguytx
    edited March 2008
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    You know, I get that it's hip to be unconventional. However, there is a fine line between unconventional and being looney and our hero crossed that line a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

We get it, because for SOME reason you had a positive reaction to something that is outside of the 'norm' related to your health...you went off the deep end. Now EVERYTHING that is mainstream or commonly accepted..you take a issue with. Any attempt to show your BS as BS is easily dismissed as being closed-minded etc etc.

If that's what you want to believe, god bless, man. However, the rest of the population sees your **** for what it is, ****. Most of your noise doesn't pass the common sense test (which makes it easy for you to dismiss as 'you haven't tried this'...which you are right but I haven't hooked my ballbag up to a pair of jumper cables either on the same logic). So, for the love of god: SHUT THE F**K UP. I can't take any more of you hocus pocus medicine, FrankenPolk tweeters, ridiculous posts requesting personal info....the whole gambit. I, I just can't take anymore of your crap.

Read books, take up painting, **** more often.....for the love of god, though, knock off the crap.

SERENITY NOW!!!

BDT

Amen.

Please try and figure out a way to learn what you're doing is wrong in the world of speaker design and is only something YOU came up with. It should not be recommended.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • avguytx
    edited March 2008
    Options

It's a public forum.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited March 2008
    Options

On the flipside, we are not asking you to post them. In fact, just the opposite.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aud10n3wb13
    aud10n3wb13 Posts: 84
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I'm offering my RTA 11T as guinea pigs. I know guys that it is a wrong solution. I'm very picky about sound quality so I will be able to tell how the caps that candyliquor35m is recommending will perform.

So candyliquor35m, tell me the exact caps I need to buy and also tell me where to solder them. I will post pictures too.

Please let me know so I can build it tomorrow. Then I will report the result.

Thanks.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I'm offering my RTA 11T as guinea pigs. I know guys that it is a wrong solution. I'm very picky about sound quality so I will be able to tell how the caps that candyliquor35m is recommending will perform.

So candyliquor35m, tell me the exact caps I need to buy and also tell me where to solder them. I will post pictures too.

Please let me know so I can build it tomorrow. Then I will report the result.

Thanks.

The quick and cleanest method until you know what sounds best to you is to connect them at the tweeter as in the pic:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?&attachmentid=30823

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31246

No soldering involved.

Here are the values I've used so far:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=825441&postcount=258

I have spare 2.2uf mylar caps complete with terminals if you pm me, I'll mail them to you. I assume you're working with sl2000's, one in each speaker and that your tweeter wires use terminals instead of being soldered on.

You have to promise me you'll only install one cap on the left or right speaker so you can do a side by side comparison with the uncapped sl2000.
  • aud10n3wb13
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Sure. But you have to promise me that you will have to honor my ear's opinion. It could be good or not good. Only 2 :)
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Sure. But you have to promise me that you will have to honor my ear's opinion. It could be good or not good. Only 2 :)

Definitely. I only have 2.2 uf in stock which worked in my 2b's. There's a chance you only need a 1.0 uf which I used in my 2.3's or a 1.0 + a 2.2 which I'm temporarily using in my srs's until I can do some more testing and listening.
  • aud10n3wb13
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Definitely. I only have 2.2 uf in stock which worked in my 2b's. There's a chance you only need a 1.0 uf which I used in my 2.3's or a 1.0 + a 2.2 which I'm temporarily using in my srs's until I can do some more testing and listening.

Ok. So what does it really do to the tweeter? Just so I know what I will be testing.

Thanks.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Ok. So what does it really do to the tweeter? Just so I know what I will be testing.

Thanks.

I sent you another pm asking you if you're finding the sl2000's a bit bright or harsh. For me the caps have diminished the harshness sufficiently without affecting the magical sound of the sl2000's that I love.
This discussion has been closed.