I Love SL2000 Tweeters

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Ok. So what does it really do to the tweeter? Just so I know what I will be testing.

Thanks.

A good answer to your question.

ShinAce wrote: »

1) They're not gone, they are attenuated. A little distortion versus a lot of distortion is still distortion. Not only are the 'harsh' highs attenuated, further down the chain the highs are almost missing. You might have substituted a small peak for a big dip.

2) What? Can we be more specific than 'highs'. How about breaking it down to clarity of female vocals, cymbal sounds and snare sounds.

3) Nope, sorry. By adding a cap, you are altering the phase of that tweeter. Chances are, for the worse. This will degrage the soundstage and can affect the frequency response(or mids/vocals as you call them).

How can you say the cap is doing exactly what you want if you are doing a trial and error run? You still have more trials to do before it's over.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aud10n3wb13
    aud10n3wb13 Posts: 84
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Thanks F1Nut. I'll also try to do some radioshack meter reading. I also know my ears are sensitive to changes. We will find out about it once the part arrives.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Here's what you're looking for:

clmod.GIF
  • F1nut
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Freakwency.........WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SwedePolk
    SwedePolk Posts: 22
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I don't know. Maybe the combination of defective hearing and a really oddly shaped head could balance out the horrible things you do with frequency and phase by adding the capacitor.
  • ShinAce
    edited March 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Freakwency.........WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

lmao, I thought you guys might like that little joke there.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited March 2008
    Options
    lmao, I thought you guys might like that little joke there.

It's befitting of the thread.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • License2ILL
    License2ILL Posts: 71
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I beleive in tweaking...and if he wants to do this and he can hear a difference then maybe there is one...if your willing to try it to find out then hop to it..
    If not then you incessent lil puritans should all move to Salem and find a witch to torch instead.

All technology is open to upgrades, tweaks, and modifications...it has it's place in the world. It is modifiers, tweakers and upgraders that continually re-design things...of the likes that we are all talking about here.....their designs may have been the best that they could muster back then but not what today can offer. By your pathetic thinking these speakers would have sounded like everyone else for the time period.

If you ppl want to "holy-fy" original setups then remember that is what you do by choice. No one is forcing you to. When car restoration buffs redo a car...it it a prize to a Hot Rodder? no it's a lame stock rebuild with shiny kickplates...who the **** cares about the original 267hp on solid lifters? I want rollers and high ramps and for that matter gut the whole chit out and pop in the latest crate.

The point is it all has it's place and if anything can be called out it should be your lame azz approach which is to sit there and idle with a pile of stock original everythings in your life.....hell do you stroke your wives only in missionary too? we're all sick of republican thinking. The speakers are 20 yrs old...and if someone wants to experiment then so be it. The crossover's I'm more than certain could use modern upgrades....and if you don't want to do it then don't. But your the lame-heads not someone who's interested and takes the time out to at least think about it.

Is it the fact that it's easier and you don't have to think about or do anything??? "lamers are as lamer's do" is that your motto?

This is a free country and he can post whatever he wants......he wasn't posting it as gospel. And you also are not internet deacons....if you don't like a post then don't even drop your chitty post disliking it....just dont post in the thread. God damm O-reilly nutjobs.
    Control is the only defense of cowards and weaklings.
    The SL2000wc wow what a predicament!!!!!:D Order one today.......1-800-429-5423 for direct orders with anyone of the elite ee guys that frequent this forum.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I beleive in tweaking...and if he wants to do this and he can hear a difference then maybe there is one...if your willing to try it to find out then hop to it..
    If not then you incessent lil puritans should all move to Salem and find a witch to torch instead.

All technology is open to upgrades, tweaks, and modifications...it has it's place in the world. It is modifiers, tweakers and upgraders that continually re-design things...of the likes that we are all talking about here.....their designs may have been the best that they could muster back then but not what today can offer. By your pathetic thinking these speakers would have sounded like everyone else for the time period.

If you ppl want to "holy-fy" original setups then remember that is what you do by choice. No one is forcing you to. When car restoration buffs redo a car...it it a prize to a Hot Rodder? no it's a lame stock rebuild with shiny kickplates...who the **** cares about the original 267hp on solid lifters? I want rollers and high ramps and for that matter gut the whole chit out and pop in the latest crate.

The point is it all has it's place and if anything can be called out it should be your lame azz approach which is to sit there and idle with a pile of stock original everythings in your life.....hell do you stroke your wives only in missionary too? we're all sick of republican thinking. The speakers are 20 yrs old...and if someone wants to experiment then so be it. The crossover's I'm more than certain could use modern upgrades....and if you don't want to do it then don't. But your the lame-heads not someone who's interested and takes the time out to at least think about it.

Is it the fact that it's easier and you don't have to think about or do anything??? "lamers are as lamer's do" is that your motto?

This is a free country and he can post whatever he wants......he wasn't posting it as gospel. And you also are not internet deacons....if you don't like a post then don't even drop your chitty post disliking it....just dont post in the thread. God damm O-reilly nutjobs.

And who are you? I guess you live in his neighborhood and you two are buddies against the world?

Or maybe you shared a padded cell somewhere?

****; you have been here a few days and already think you know it all?

Great way of introducing yourself.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ShinAce
    edited March 2008
    Options
    One of my childhood dreams is to build a go-kart from a motorcycle engine(roughly 600 cc) . I would waste a bunch of my time and money to go really fast at 3 inches off the ground. Would I have the best time of my life? Yes. Is it a crazy idea? Yes.

Would I suggest others do it? No. That's the problem that I have here. We're trying to take one crazy idea and get peeps to try it with the expectation that it is better.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Ricardo, he is the defender of all misguided audio phools like CL35M. He is the sole defender for those "that don't know, don't know they don't know". I believe he wears a cape and tights and some sort of mask.

Know it alls are soooooo boring.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited March 2008
    Options

I don't know you but I love ya man. I wish I could put this in my signature :)
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Candy, make me a pair of your special caps and let me know how much they cost with shipping to NJ, I will buy them from you and try them in my SRS 2's and I will report back my findings.

Sal

Sal,

Are your srs 2's original with sl2000's?

I may have 4 caps laying here. If I do they're yours no charge.

I know you may not have the 2's hooked up but if you could play some harsh music on them and cup your hands around each tweeter and listen to see if one tweeter is harsher than the other one (top or bottom) then that is the tweeter we want to target and I may only need to send you 2 caps.
  • License2ILL
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Great way of introducing yourself.

I need no introduction my name says it all.
    The SL2000wc wow what a predicament!!!!!:D Order one today.......1-800-429-5423 for direct orders with anyone of the elite ee guys that frequent this forum.
  • License2ILL
    edited March 2008
    Options
    One of my childhood dreams is to build a go-kart from a motorcycle engine(roughly 600 cc) . I would waste a bunch of my time and money to go really fast at 3 inches off the ground. Would I have the best time of my life? Yes. Is it a crazy idea? Yes.

Would I suggest others do it? No. That's the problem that I have here. We're trying to take one crazy idea and get peeps to try it with the expectation that it is better.

Wrong again StrokerAce....you see had you lived your dream then you could have been in the market as a provider of custom go-karts...you could have suggested it to others.....and your product line could have made it to be used across all go karts in America.....

And no it's not crazier than ppl on modern crotch-rockets today. No one suggested that it was better it was simply suggested.
    I do suggest that you do stop being on your loser streak and live out your little 2 stroke dreams.
  • ShinAce
    edited March 2008
    Options
    We're not arguing 2 stroke versus 4 stroke and business plans.

We're arguing that what is supposedly a fantastic upgrade may not be an upgrade at all.

Apples to apples, please.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I need no introduction my name says it all.

Sure does. Another putz added to the BOZO list. :rolleyes:

President of Club Polk

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    Options

4 things things that are facts

1 there is no basement in the Alamo
    2 you can't cook crack in a plastic spoon
    3 a 2.2uf cap isn't the answer to fixing the bump in an SL2000 tweeter
    4 you obviously haven't read up on speaker design.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • License2ILL
    edited March 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Ricardo, he is the defender of all misguided audio phools like CL35M. He is the sole defender for those "that don't know, don't know they don't know". I believe he wears a cape and tights and some sort of mask.

Know it alls are soooooo boring.

H9
    Modifiers and tweakers suggest that we don't know it all....and that by the same token the original designers did not know it all either. We suggest that if we try this or that we can personalize the experience of whatever we tweak if in the least. And in the most which is the case in many modifiers hands.....we can deliver a true upgrade in performance.

On the contrary it is you lame-heads that are boring and know it alls....cuz you suggest to do nothing...becuz the ultimate has already been acheived in your eyes and you know this to be a fact .....only becuz you say so. You are the know it alls.
    I've seen ppl like you all my life. Why'd you put a holley 750 double-pumper on your engine? why'd you change over to flowmasters......why'd you convert from points to HEI distributors? Meanwhile ten years later what I did as a kid becomes the new fad...and every little goon who knows not even how things function is copying every other goon. And there you have it...what was once considered stupid and questioned now the mainstream habit...and "cool" too. Hahahaha I have me a good laff....cuz I was making cool a loooooonnnnnggg time ago.
    It takes talent and balls to pursue.......none of which lame-heads have.
    Again you don't like the topic here so what are you doing here??? no life?
    misery? bored? jobless?(you voted for repubs didnt u?)
    Go tweak something fool. Learn a skill...outside of pleasing yourselves with your own hands.(thats a mod too...idiot!)
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Hmmmm, a Queen song seems to running through my head ....... what's that song ...... oh yea "another newbie bites the dust" ....... that must be it :p

License2 (make others)ILL - you seem to have a challenge with communication skills. You might have some good and valid points in there, but the good things are drowning in a sea of really bad meaningless drival. Clean it up, back it down, try to have a friendly and respectful debate, and maybe others will treat you the same way. You own 50% of the problem and the solution.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • License2ILL
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Ben,
    I never said it was the answer to the bump. Just simply to let him be.
    And that ultimately only doing it yourself will let you know what it sounds like...regardless of how it does not make sense on paper.

They make these in pink too i gather that may be the color of choice for some you's from the amount of whining being spewed over such a small easily removed tweak:

http://www.findkitchenware.com/plastic_spoon.htm
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Modifiers and tweakers suggest that we don't know it all....and that by the same token the original designers did not know it all either. We suggest that if we try this or that we can personalize the experience of whatever we tweak if in the least. And in the most which is the case in many modifiers hands.....we can deliver a true upgrade in performance.

On the contrary it is you lame-heads that are boring and know it alls....cuz you suggest to do nothing...becuz the ultimate has already been acheived in your eyes and you know this to be a fact .....only becuz you say so. You are the know it alls.
    I've seen ppl like you all my life. Why'd you put a holley 750 double-pumper on your engine? why'd you change over to flowmasters......why'd you convert from points to HEI distributors? Meanwhile ten years later what I did as a kid becomes the new fad...and every little goon who knows not even how things function is copying every other goon. And there you have it...what was once considered stupid and questioned now the mainstream habit...and "cool" too. Hahahaha I have me a good laff....cuz I was making cool a loooooonnnnnggg time ago.
    It takes talent and balls to pursue.......none of which lame-heads have.
    Again you don't like the topic here so what are you doing here??? no life?
    misery? bored? jobless?(you voted for repubs didnt u?)
    Go tweak something fool. Learn a skill...outside of pleasing yourselves with your own hands.(thats a mod too...idiot!)

If he was suggesting an upgrade like your analogy states he would be saying try xy tweeter instead of the SL2000. But he is tweaking the crossover and attenuating it. He isn't changing anything except the volume. and the crossover point.

Your analogy isn't relevant because changing a carb or exhaust on a car is proven to add power or increase mileage. His tweeter tweak is proven not to fix but attenuate. It is a bad idea.

Take it easy man, you will be liked better if you don't fight with everyone.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    Take it easy man, you will be liked better if you don't fight with everyone.

Based on his attitude and posts so far that's THE only reason he is here. He doesn't want to have a rational discussion or debate he wants to be rude and condescending to all. He has no intention of being rational, civil or productive beyond stirring up the pot. He has absolutely no credibility and never will.

If I were CL35M I'd be ashamed to have him defending me. Of course crackpots tend to stick together.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joe08867
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Yes, birds of a feather, flock together.
  • ShinAce
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Hey guys, I've got this awesome mod that noone has ever tried:
    You use 2 resistors to strategically steal some power from the tweeter. It's not Polk kosher, but hey, my ears no longer bleed when I listen to my tunes at 110 dB.

Someone had suggested I turn down the volume to get better sound(something about a reference), but I think they're just trying to **** block my music enjoyment.

Tell me what you think!

p.s. Please don't reply to this post. Seriously.
  • License2ILL
    edited March 2008
    Options
    It doesnt take much time in a place to see the would be connoisseur's in antique thinking...."birds of a feather" hahahha its a bunch of you's coming down on some guy with little red cap...female and male ended...so as to be easily removed from the line.

Rational and civil??? you think that the comments you ppl have made are rational and civil? why not just offer what you can in help and just leave? instead it's been more like a barrage of hounding and hazing.

Popularity contests are for little girls.....do you put on make up too?
    I posted matching spoons for your lipsticks earlier.
    Either help him or leave quietly....lil puritans.

"Waaaa waaaa.....im so tired of these tweakers and modders and liberals...oh my my my oh my my my. It's beyond everything.."

I've seen in just a few posts here the little burly girls who chime in to say nothing worthwhile to aid....but to disturb someone else's thread with their disapproval. What's the point? you must be bored. if not you wouldn't do it.
    If I go somewhere I dont like I walk right out.

I've got an awesome mod too...it's called shut your miserable flaps...and if your bored with yourselves then seek excitement in battery operated devices. ...its 2008 many of you already seem inclined.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I don't know you but I love ya man. I wish I could put this in my signature :)

I don't see why not? :p

And the pink plastic crack spoon is my favorite bit so far.
  • ShinAce
    edited March 2008
    Options
    why not just offer what you can in help and just leave? instead it's been more like a barrage of hounding and hazing.

Great advice; try it.
  • Joe08867
    edited March 2008
    Options
    It doesnt take much time in a place to see the would be connoisseur's in antique thinking...."birds of a feather" hahahha its a bunch of you's coming down on some guy with little red cap...female and male ended...so as to be easily removed from the line.

Rational and civil??? you think that the comments you ppl have made are rational and civil? why not just offer what you can in help and just leave? instead it's been more like a barrage of hounding and hazing.

"Waaaa waaaa.....im so tired of these tweakers and modders and liberals...oh my my my oh my my my. It's beyond everything.."

I've seen in just a few posts here the little burly girls who chime in to say nothing worthwhile to aid....but to disturb someone else's thread with their disapproval. What's the point? you must be bored. if not you wouldn't do it.

I've got an awesome mod too...it's called shut your miserable flaps...and if your bored with yourselves then seek excitement in battery operated devices. ...its 2008 many of you already seem inclined.

Two words come to mind when I read your post Hand and Job.

You haven't been here long enough to know how long this BS has been going on. So why don't you just shut your miserable pie hole.

Or better yet let everyone know you are really CL.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options

The Cavalry is here. What took you so long? :D
This discussion has been closed.