I Love SL2000 Tweeters

Options

Comments

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Nevermind.

I don't even no why I origionally bothered to comment on this BS.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I would try a 1.4mH inductor in series with the sl2000, it does wonders for the sound quality.:p

Whats happening to the tweeters is this. Instead of the nice gentle slope into the midbass drivers at around 1500hz. It is now a hard dive between 2khz and 12khz. Leaving ~2khz-12khz~ almost non existent.

Like taking an active eq and dropping the mid-high (2khz-15khz) levels to minimun or off.

If that sounds good to you...more power to you, but just understand whats going on with your freakwency wange.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,302
    edited March 2008
    Options
    The nice thing about this thread is ..... I can post just about anything I want and I can't be accused of being off topic !!

Nothing to the Table.gif
    Sal Palooza
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Modifiers and tweakers suggest that we don't know it all....and that by the same token the original designers did not know it all either. We suggest that if we try this or that we can personalize the experience of whatever we tweak if in the least. And in the most which is the case in many modifiers hands.....we can deliver a true upgrade in performance.

On the contrary it is you lame-heads that are boring and know it alls....cuz you suggest to do nothing...becuz the ultimate has already been acheived in your eyes and you know this to be a fact .....only becuz you say so. You are the know it alls.
    I've seen ppl like you all my life. Why'd you put a holley 750 double-pumper on your engine? why'd you change over to flowmasters......why'd you convert from points to HEI distributors? Meanwhile ten years later what I did as a kid becomes the new fad...and every little goon who knows not even how things function is copying every other goon. And there you have it...what was once considered stupid and questioned now the mainstream habit...and "cool" too. Hahahaha I have me a good laff....cuz I was making cool a loooooonnnnnggg time ago.
    It takes talent and balls to pursue.......none of which lame-heads have.
    Again you don't like the topic here so what are you doing here??? no life?
    misery? bored? jobless?(you voted for repubs didnt u?)
    Go tweak something fool. Learn a skill...outside of pleasing yourselves with your own hands.(thats a mod too...idiot!)

Hmmmm....I see the **** parade has hit full stride again.

You seem to be missing a couple of salient facts.

One, CL35 can't explain in any sort of logical fashion (and his own comments on the effects have been contradictory) what adding a cap does. So, it's pretty hard to take him seriously just on that alone (and when you add in the past idiocy it makes it even more difficult).

Two, there aren't tweakers here? Au contraire mon frere. You might wish to search on some of the mods people here (F1Nut being the resident mad tweakophile) have done...the difference being, these folks actually did research and can explain what the mods do and why.

I'm all for differing views but there is a marked difference in this case.

Enjoy your (brief) stay.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited March 2008
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Two, there aren't tweakers here? Au contraire mon frere. You might wish to search on some of the mods people here (F1Nut being the resident mad tweakophile) have done...the difference being, these folks actually did research and can explain what the mods do and why.

BDT

That struck me as odd too. Take a look at the DIY forum here and tell me that there aren't people with a big enough pile of gray matter in their cranial cavities to be able to tweak in any way. There are quite a few here that have built their own components from amplifiers and pre-amps to speakers. Hell, the car audio guys are using oscilloscopes to set gains on amplifiers!

Yep, there are some really sharp cookies hangin' around here and they can explain, in depth, why they tried a "tweak", what it does and why it did or didn't do what they thought it would. They don't need to post a whole tweeter humping, vanity based thread extolling the virtues of their ability to buy junk at Radio Shack and stick it on a speaker with a ColdHeat soldering iron (as seen on TV!). Then exclaim to the heavens that it "works". Especially when any college kid in a Circuits I class can tell you what that capacitor did and why it didn't "fix" anything but actually exacerbate the problem.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Hmmmm....I see the **** parade has hit full stride again.

You seem to be missing a couple of salient facts.

One, CL35 can't explain in any sort of logical fashion (and his own comments on the effects have been contradictory) what adding a cap does. So, it's pretty hard to take him seriously just on that alone (and when you add in the past idiocy it makes it even more difficult).

I'm all for differing views but there is a marked difference in this case.

Enjoy your (brief) stay.

BDT

Your comments mean nothing until you've tried the caps.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Options

High school physics says you're full of ****!

OBEY THE PHYSICS! IT'S THE LAW!

• candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options
    No comment. This has already been discussed. Please read this entire thread again :D
  • TroyD
    edited March 2008
    Options

Well, as I said, I don't have to hook up my ball bag to a pair of jumper cables to credibly tell you it's stupid either.

BDT
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Well, as I said, I don't have to hook up my ball bag to a pair of jumper cables to credibly tell you it's stupid either.

BDT
    Signature material!!! :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • scootchu
    scootchu Posts: 100
    edited March 2008
    Options
    It kinda makes me feel retarded as I have 4 SL2000's in my SRS II's. They sound fine to me, but then again it's all relative and subjective. Maybe I am too accepting.

The way I look at having the 2000's in there is that they came that way from the factory so I doubt that they are crap if Polk engineers designed them. I guess this thread is more about something else than the SL2000 and it's flaws.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited March 2008
    Options
    scootchu wrote: »
    It kinda makes me feel retarded as I have 4 SL2000's in my SRS II's. They sound fine to me, but then again it's all relative and subjective. Maybe I am too accepting.

The way I look at having the 2000's in there is that they came that way from the factory so I doubt that they are crap if Polk engineers designed them. I guess this thread is more about something else than the SL2000 and it's flaws.

Polk designed a subsequent tweeter to correct many of the flaws in the sl2000 and then subsequently designed a replacement tweeter for today's use (RD0's). If one is so inclined the new RD0 replacement tweeters are much nicer sounding. However if your happy with your sl2000 by all means enjoy.

But don't sell the RD0's short w/o trying them.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • scootchu
    edited March 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Polk designed a subsequent tweeter to correct many of the flaws in the sl2000 and then subsequently designed a replacement tweeter for today's use (RD0's). If one is so inclined the new RD0 replacement tweeters are much nicer sounding. However if your happy with your sl2000 by all means enjoy.

But don't sell the RD0's short w/o trying them.

H9

What I was trying to say is that this thread seems to run much deeper than the SL2000 debate.

In my world instant A/B-ing would most likely be the only way I could tell the difference. I don't have a good audio retention memory I suppose.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    Options

Some of us hear a definate harshness in the SL2000. After any extended listening they are very fatiguing. That is why many of us have switched to the RDO194 replacement tweeter. Much smoother and zero fatigue after hours of listening. The SL2000 wasn't bad for the time but there is a better tweeter out there.

This thread is about a hokey method to fix the harshness by attenuating the volume and frequency of the tweeter, by adding a cap after the crossover.

Scootchu, If they work for you that's great. Enjoy them.

But you may seriously want to get your hearing checked just in case.:D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited March 2008
    Options
    What I was trying to say is that this thread seems to run much deeper than the SL2000 debate.

You are correct, but it's the manner in which CL35M is polluting many threads not even on the topic of his misplaced modification that many have taken issue with.

The general consensus is ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Of course there are some that also have personal issues with him and the fact that he has a knack for stirring up controversy (mercury) even when warned by mods to knock it off. He was formerly banned for this type of activity and has been given a 2nd life. So yes it runs deep for some.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2008
    Options

The best "tweek" one can do with a pair of SDAs that has them is to replace the SL2000 tweeter. Just because they were engineered that way doesn't mean they are the best or even acceptable. Automobile engineers who built great cars also designed the Pinto, Chevette, Pacer and Gremlin. Apple engineers came up with Newton and Lisa, Microsoft had Bob. The list of flops by great companies is LONG.

Just because Polk made it doesn't mean it was good. It usually is...but not in the case of the SL2000 tweeter IMO.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Options

BDT

No comment. This thread isn't about S&M :p
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Just so we're all on the same page, there's more than just peaks in response that can cause fatigue after extended listening.

Slap on some headphones and a CD player for about 3 hours. Try the same thing with headphone corssfeed, less fatigue.

Distortion as well will cause fatigue. For me, a few seconds of distorted music and I just walk out of the room. I've been known to walk into a party, stash my beer in the fridge, say hello, and then bounce after retrieving my beer.

On St-Patty's day, I went to a bar with some co-workers. The band was setting up. The last check they did was their mic test and then they started playing. The levels were good and the clarity was excellent. I'm thinking "It's about time someone gets it right". Some schmuch who was standing smack in the middle of the room and not moving walks up to them between songs and complains that the bass guitar is too soft. I actually told the patron that he was a **** without explaining myself.
  • scootchu
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    Some of us hear a definate harshness in the SL2000. After any extended listening they are very fatiguing. That is why many of us have switched to the RDO194 replacement tweeter. Much smoother and zero fatigue after hours of listening. The SL2000 wasn't bad for the time but there is a better tweeter out there.

This thread is about a hokey method to fix the harshness by attenuating the volume and frequency of the tweeter, by adding a cap after the crossover.

Scootchu, If they work for you that's great. Enjoy them.

But you may seriously want to get your hearing checked just in case.:D

I guess I am opening myself up for this abuse. The RDO194 has to be better, there is no doubt and Polk engineers would probably say hindsight is always 20/20.

I guess it's more or less the feeling that if you don't have the replacement tweeters in there... well you fall down a couple of rungs on the respect scale around here. If I had a few RDO194's lying around I would most certainly pop them in, but for what it's worth I have no issues with the 2000's. Nothing worth running at them at full speed in anger and ramming my head through them. :eek:
    I guess just watching the mean spirit this thread takes on from time to time is sad.
  • Joe08867
    edited March 2008
    Options
    ShinAce, I have to agree with your post. I played in a Rock band and we had a person listen in three different spots of the bar or venue to get the sound levels right.

I have left bars because of this a few times. Clean sound a moderate level beats loud and distorted anyday.
  • Joe08867
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I guess I am opening myself up for this abuse. The RDO194 has to be better, there is no doubt and Polk engineers would probably say hindsight is always 20/20.

I guess it's more or less the feeling that if you don't have the replacement tweeters in there... well you fall down a couple of rungs on the respect scale around here. If I had a few RDO194's lying around I would most certainly pop them in, but for what it's worth I have no issues with the 2000's. Nothing worth running at them at full speed in anger and ramming my head through them. :eek:
    I guess just watching the mean spirit this thread takes on from time to time is sad.

I don't think anyone cares if people replace a tweeter or not. That is just a suggestion and like I said earlier if it works for you cool. No loss of respect from me that's for sure.:cool: I love all you guys and gals.:p Even CL. ;) Just can't stand this cap on tweeter idea because it isn't what he thinks it is.:mad:

The mean spirit is because CL's idea is totally shoved down everyones throat in threads that don't ask the question. He created his own part number for it and all. It is annoying. And yes I could ignore it but what fun would that be??
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2008
    Options
    scootchu wrote:
    I guess it's more or less the feeling that if you don't have the replacement tweeters in there... well you fall down a couple of rungs on the respect scale around here.

Actually, I really don't think anyone gives a damn about what you have in your gear. I know I don't. It's all opinions anyway. I have mine and it is worth exactly what you're paying for it.
    scootchu wrote:

Some have worked very hard to earn the disdain that is so rightfully theirs.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scootchu
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Okay then, carry on :D

I see where you guys are coming from.
  • License2ILL
    License2ILL Posts: 71
    edited March 2008
    Options

It's more about a group of wanna-be's proffessing chit they have no degrees for....(lets watch half of them claim one now:D)

If your SL2000s are working within a low cost effective plan they hey my power to you...I'm sure they sound just fine.
    The SL2000wc wow what a predicament!!!!!:D Order one today.......1-800-429-5423 for direct orders with anyone of the elite ee guys that frequent this forum.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I don't think anyone is saying that if you enjoy SL2000's that there is anything 'wrong' with it. I've had some, still have some as a matter of fact. I don't find them to be horrible per se but I like the replacements better.

Nor do I think anyone is anti-tweak, quite the contrary.

The issue is all about doing things reasonably intelligently as opposed to just half **** butchering without rhyme or reason.

If you want to bastardize your gear, hey, more power to you. Just don't come back and try and sell it as the next great thing without at least being able to talk intelligently about what it is you've done.

BDT
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Options
    It's more about a group of wanna-be's proffessing chit they have no degrees for....(lets watch half of them claim one now:D)

Heh.

BTW, where's your degree?

• ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    Options
    It's the third degree.
  • Marty913
    Marty913 Posts: 760
    edited March 2008
    Options

No abuse here scootchu. Both my pairs of SDA's have the 2000's. I have rebuilt the crossovers in one pair. Not a single member of this forum has ever been anything but helpful. Enjoying Polks (intelligently modified, upgraded, or left alone) is what the Club is about. Being an idiot or a **** may get you a lower ring but listening to and enjoying SL2000s will not.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica
  • License2ILL
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Marty913 wrote: »
    No abuse here scootchu. Both my pairs of SDA's have the 2000's. I have rebuilt the crossovers in one pair. Not a single member of this forum has ever been anything but helpful. Enjoying Polks (intelligently modified, upgraded, or left alone) is what the Club is about. Being an idiot or a **** may get you a lower ring but listening to and enjoying SL2000s will not.

Yea sure until you post something like an inline cap...like this thread.
    Or another concerning using different drivers...
    Or whatever next thing that occurs for you to try with your property.....

The above statement is entirely a lie...there's nothing but irratable bowel syndrome goons here who are bothered with simple alterations or even ideas.

Talk about some "ring"...who said ppl come here to seek membership in your "wannabe's only" club ?

People come here to post an idea or propose one......and again if you can help then do so..and if not you should just leave....not start some kind of disapproving rant like this thread......

Even the ones with the most posts in your little "ring" ("lord of ring" geeks? maybe?) commands NOTHING........ppl can try, modify, and run whatever they want......none of you have some high authority over what someone else wants to do with their property...again you may have been here since the webpage started...sooo...????........worth NOTHING. Help the guy or leave his thread.
    The SL2000wc wow what a predicament!!!!!:D Order one today.......1-800-429-5423 for direct orders with anyone of the elite ee guys that frequent this forum.
  • License2ILL
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Marty913 wrote: »
    (intelligently modified, upgraded, or left alone) is what the Club is about. .

Who judges or meters that??? you ?? the one with the most posts??? your committee of itty bitty tittie members??? Get the **** outta here.......
This discussion has been closed.