What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I run all audiolund, no regrets

dx61l13svabl.gif
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Have you ever tried one line of one brand of cables throughout your entire system? I've always been Curious about this, but have never tried it.

I have AudioQuest speaker and balanced interconnects in my main stereo rig. I tried their power cords and digital cables also, but preferred other brands. For now, I like AudioQuest for speaker and balanced interconnects, Revelation Audio Labs digital cables, and PS Audio power cords.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    That is a work of art.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Beautiful table, congrats.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    That's gorgeous 😍
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Jody, that is freakin' NICE my man. Enjoy brother!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Thanks fellas! She is gorgeous, for sure, but also definitely more than just a pretty face. This turntable takes things (for me) to 'the next' level.

I had been on a direct-drive kick for the last several months, trying to find a good match for the MA-505L tonearm, which is basically a 12" arm. Frankly, the arm sounded great on everything I mounted it on, so I thought, "This is great. I like this arm." I bought the 505L (a couple of years ago) after thoroughly enjoying a 'regular' 505 arm on a few different tables. I highly recommend any version of the MA-505 arm.

Anyway, the Micro Seiki BL-91L turntable is a bit of a unicorn (compared to the regular BL-91), and if you find one, it is almost always a 220VAC unit, so requires a transformer.

To try and shorten this post, I found a BL-91L for sale, which had an SAEC arm (that I didn't really want), so I worked with the seller on getting JUST the turntable (including armboard), and everything worked out. He included a 110>220 transformer.

The sound I'm getting from this combination is a revelation. I don't know if it's simply a build quality upgrade from other belt-drive tables I've tried, or perhaps the armboard being made from a big disc of milled, polished aluminum (or chromium?) vs an armboard made from wood, or a composite. For whatever reason, the PRAT with this setup has been elevated.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying the HECK out of this turntable and tonearm setup. FWIW, it doesn't matter what cartridge I choose...they ALL sound better.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    Options
    Very nice, sir! Enjoy brother!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    @jdjohn… get your hands on a Gold Note PH10 if you really want to take things to the next level. My PH5 is an eye opener for me, so I can only imagine what the next one up can accomplish with your setup.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    Options
    @nooshinjohn I've gone fairly deep down the phono preamp rabbit hole, and my current reference level is the Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl. It is exceptional. I also own a unit from the very boutique UK brand, the Bigbottle Audio tube phono preamp (BB3), that requires loading plugs. It scratches my itch for a tube phono preamp.

For awhile, I was determined to obtain the heralded Herron VTPH-2A phono preamp, but the feeling passed. Those units utilize 6 tubes, which (in my opinion) opens the opportunity for 6X the noise.

Happy to do a swap for trial purposes :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    Options
    Jody, when speaking with Bob Carver, he stated thet the more tubes in a phono pre, the better.

This contradicts what you are saying.

His TOTL phono pre had many tubes. The model escapes me right now. FWIW.

Tom
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Tom,

In a utopian world, where all tubes perform as expected, it would be ideal to have 'the more tubes in a phono pre, the better'. But let's be honest...that is not reality. Tubes are fun...tubes are noisy...tubes are tubes.

In the world of tube phono preamps, the Herron still reigns supreme (based on reviews), but Manley Labs has a few choices that cannot be ignored.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    The only constant is change. I swapped some gear around in my backroom system.

Yamaha QL-Y5F turntable
    Juicy Music Tercel phono pre
    Sonic Euphoria PLC preamp
    Music Fidelity Pan CDP (Germany)
    DIY ST70 amplifier

2is6tfqomjkt.jpg
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    The only constant is change. I swapped some gear around in my backroom system.

Yamaha QL-Y5F turntable
    Juicy Music Tercel phono pre
    Sonic Euphoria PLC preamp
    Music Fidelity Pan CDP (Germany)
    DIY ST70 amplifier

2is6tfqomjkt.jpg

Have I had a stroke or is there a JVC on that turntable? 🤣
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    Have I had a stroke or is there a JVC on that turntable? 🤣

Senior moment. It is a JVC QL-Y5F.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,511
    Options
    I found a Janis Interphase 1A crossover/amplifier in a nearby town that I can try and reverse engineer the schematic. tw0czimge8bl.jpg
  • newbie308
    Options
    I let the magic smoke out of my Jolida JD502B. Time for some refurbishing and then it's going up for sale.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    I let the magic smoke out of my Jolida JD502B. Time for some refurbishing and then it's going up for sale.

Bummer!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »

I have run into that on a couple of Jolida pieces. Had a JD1000RC that I had to totally resolder the entire board.

• newbie308
    Options
    I think this unit is from 2001, so the electrolytic capacitors are due for replacement. It is stock with no upgrades or alterations, so I think it will respond well to a tune-up.
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    Moved the Arte Forma 2A3 into the sunroom. Something special about SET and horns.

648ebj34ta6a.jpg
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    The Gilmore Raptors moved to the dining room.

mybkr3v6umlv.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @Wardsweb Hey Luther, you still sporting the modded JBL and setup in the living room?
    Loved that sound?

--Ron
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @Wardsweb Hey Luther, you still sporting the modded JBL and setup in the living room?
    Loved that sound?

--Ron

My main system and still my fav.

z9wz310n2rbb.jpg
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    I'll have to try the bean bag mod this weekend. Looking good.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I'll have to try the bean bag mod this weekend. Looking good.

That is a bass trap. The more bass it traps the larger the bag gets.....I've seen it in person, pretty cool!
  • treitz3
    Options
    Damn. I must be a bass trap then.

Tom