Never thought the day would come.....new speakers once again.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Sounds like there's no need to even mess with the crossover components then if they are sounding this good?!

Congrats Tom, I'm glad they are ticking all your boxes.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Yeah you can't sell them, imo. Not with those custom crossovers. Those are YOURS! Just too personal.

At least that's how I feel about my PMCs that Trey upgraded for me. They'll never leave my collection.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

treitz3 wrote: »
    Thanks man. I am actually thinking the same thing. What I can change? I can probably do within the speaker itself.

That presents me with another problem. What do I do with the Linbrooks?

I know, I know. Sell them.....but that was a labor of love from way more than just me. How do you simply sell something like that?

Tom

The system, and your room is a labor of love, and selling your Linbrooks can take you to the next level.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Thanks man. I am actually thinking the same thing. What I can change? I can probably do within the speaker itself.

I know, I know. Sell them.....but that was a labor of love from way more than just me. How do you simply sell something like that?

Tom

BEST KARMA in the history of KARMA!!!

In with 27!🤣🤣😇🤪
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050

Tom

That is a hard decision. While not anywhere near this scale, I regret selling 1 pair of modded SDA's and have the same dilema again now. Can you set the Linbrooks up as the mains in your home theater as a secondary rig to enjoy?

Btw, incredible new speakers. Thanks for posting the journey!
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Thank you sir. The journey, while long, was unforgettable. Very picturesque, especially during peak leaf season up and down the East Coast while traveling through the mountains! I will probably never do it again but that one was for the books (well, mine at least).

I do have a secondary rig in the LR but both the wife and I do not want a stereo rig/TV as the main focal point. It's more of a sitting room or "traditional" LR that just so happens to have a TV and some bookie Polk speakers of some kind for when the family wants to watch a movie.

The Linbrook's take up some real estate with the external crossover boxes that are about the size of normal large subs. To space them out correctly, we would need a pretty big wall available and in this house, that ain't gonna happen, unless I move the office somewhere else or put it in the Sunroom or MBR. Neither of those will ever happen either, so....

I think what I have finally decided to do is bring the Linbrook's back to stock, except for the anti-diffraction pads and internal wiring along with the other upgrades that you can't really go back on. Trey had reminded me how much I blew just on the crossover boxes that were built from scratch. He never wants to do that again, neither do I.....and I don't want to incur the cost of doing the same thing in today's economy.

I have determined that I will pursue upgrading the Woodmere's, just as I did the Linbrook's. So, eventually I will sell the Linbrooks as close to stock as I can get them and keep "the good stuff" from the massive upgrade for the Woodmere's. I hate doing that to the Linbrook's but I have had my fun with them and it's now time to move on.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    You have definitely achieved your goal. My wallet just now told me that it hates you and low and behold?

My ears caught wind of that comment. Now my wallet and my ears are in a knock down, all out fist fight. See what kind of ruckus you have caused?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm a proud enabler today, I really am!
    You have definitely achieved your goal.
    You can add me the Trey's victim list >:) Speakers, mods, amps...no vinyl gear, though.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084

I think what I have finally decided to do is bring the Linbrook's back to stock, except for the anti-diffraction pads and internal wiring along with the other upgrades that you can't really go back on. Trey had reminded me how much I blew just on the crossover boxes that were built from scratch. He never wants to do that again, neither do I.....and I don't want to incur the cost of doing the same thing in today's economy.

I have determined that I will pursue upgrading the Woodmere's, just as I did the Linbrook's. So, eventually I will sell the Linbrooks as close to stock as I can get them and keep "the good stuff" from the massive upgrade for the Woodmere's. I hate doing that to the Linbrook's but I have had my fun with them and it's now time to move on.

Tom

Incoming PM
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    jdjohn wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm a proud enabler today, I really am!
    You have definitely achieved your goal.
    You can add me the Trey's victim list >:) Speakers, mods, amps...no vinyl gear, though.

I can start you off with a TriangleART table…. Pairs very well with ClearAudio Goldfinger cartridges.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Hahaha.....the Triangle Art TT was not even on my list of things to consider. Turns out, it's having a crate being built as we speak so that it can be shipped to me. Thanks, John! Looking forward to it!

So, an update. I have decided that I will be putting the Linbrooks up for sale. There is no sense in keeping them at this point, regardless of the amount of money and work by many people put into them. Stay tuned in the next couple of months for a post listing them up for sale. I can guaranty you that there is no Linbrook out there in the world that is as highly modified as these!

So, ever since out little GTG when we first set up the Woodmere's by themself in the room and auditioned them, I have been scouring the world for a HighEnd Novum PMR Premium MK II (Passive Multi-Vocal Resonator). This device is that "bell" looking thing that sat in between the speakers (see below).

3p8mwporge61.png

Not one of these devices have come up for sale on the used market since I started looking 8 months ago. You couldn't even buy them new, up until about a month ago. I looked at the price new and yeah, not doin' that. I liked it a lot but not over 3K kinda like, if you know what I mean.

So, the other day, I had just wrapped up work and was getting ready to shut the computer down and I thought to myself.....why don't you check for one of these before you shut the computer off?

HOT DIGGITY DAMN!!!

There was just that was listed for only 22 minutes and it was in mint condition. I didn't even need to think or bother with price negotiations or "offers". I bought that sucker as fast as my hands could hit the "Buy Now" button. Literally a split second decision. 8 months......8 months I have been waiting for this deal to pop up and that day finally arrived!

The last time I heard this device, I didn't have the tone I do now and tone was one of the aspects that this device enhanced. Because of this, the excitement I have in finally finding one (at a decent price) is indescribable.

kiddw4u94yry.png

It is being shipped out to me today.

Tom

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2023
    Glad you won’t be tone deaf anymore Tom ;)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    Can I borrow it while you are getting your room together?

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Does it come with a tiny hammer?
    Asking for a friend....
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    PF edition of the Gong Show at Tom's house!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • nooshinjohn
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Does it come with a tiny hammer?
    Asking for a friend....

Maxwell has a silver one he was using to great effect...

• nooshinjohn
    newbie308 wrote: »
    PFB edition of the Gong Show at Tom's house!

Fixed...

• treitz3
    Yeah.....

My life is NOTHING like PFB's. Good lawd, that dude needs some help. Or better luck. Perhaps both.

I just got off the horn with Ron Cook. He is the gentleman that came over last year with the the Novum MKII "bell". We are both excited that since we live a hop, skip and a jump from one another, we will be one of the lucky few who will listen to not one but TWO of these devices in our own systems.

We both agree that we have mixed emotions about this. The reason? If we really like what we hear? We will both be on the hunt for yet another one. Neither one of us are willing to pay retail. Oh well, it is what it is. It may sound worse or detrimental....who knows. His editor (Stereo Times) states that he has two of them and it's undeniable. Hmmmm, we shall see. On his system and mine.

John, while I would love for you to hear this Novum MKII? I'm leaning towards not shipping it all of the way across the country and back. It is a highly tuned device and one good drop or.......well, I am just not comfortable with the Brown apes or any other company handling it like you and I would. Not to mention, you have little ones that curiosity might get the best of them. I'm not too enamored with that idea.....or the potential of what could happen coming into fruition. A couple hundred dollar item? No worries. Something that's close to 3K? Eh...... *cringes thinking about it* We have been friends for quite some time and this is just inviting darkness.

That, and the system will remain in its current spot until the new room is built and completed. The only downtime will be the time it takes to disassemble the rig and bring it out to its new location.

I asked the seller today if it comes with all of the paperwork and it includes everything including the Certificate of Authenticity.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Clipdat wrote: »

Thanks. (I think) Maybe not.

Now I can't get that damned song out of my head. I have been humming it all day since I heard it again for the first time in decades. It's like a nightmare come true (even though I always wondered who sang that song).

Punk.

Tom

• nooshinjohn
    Here’s another ear worm for you…

https://youtu.be/A6uruXjPIGg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I'm not sure a brass hat is a good look for you Tom.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Hahaha.....the Triangle Art TT was not even on my list of things to consider. Turns out, it's having a crate being built as we speak so that it can be shipped to me. Thanks, John! Looking forward to it!

The lid goes on the coffin tomorrow…. I will try to make sure there are no zombies in it.

• treitz3
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm not sure a brass hat is a good look for you Tom.

Not for show bro'......not for show. This was very intriguing, as well as surprising to the end result as to what hit my ears. It took all of about 10 seconds to realize that this was something I wanted/needed. Only took me 8 months to source/find it. I already know that it will be worth the wait......I just hope the Gorillas that deliver it....deliver it with care the whole trip.

*fingers crossed*

Tom
  • treitz3
    GlennDog wrote:
    Incoming PM

Yo' Dog......you get first dibs. You earned it.

Tom

• treitz3
    u43alhr6yg7s.jpg

Breathtaking. There isn't much love for this passive device online but let me tell you....

Holy crap! The end result as to what hits your ears is spectacular.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Still using them Ol'subs? Aren't they getting a little old in the tooth?
  • treitz3
    I also had a very long conversation with Ty. He was the one who has made the speakers I have listened to for about 2 decades.

One thing that struck me is that the speaker I bought and drove all of that way for? It's one of 15 speakers.

I always thought he sold way more than that. During our about an hour and a half discussion tonight? He disclosed to me that he did not make more than 15 pair of the Woodmere's.

Very interesting.

Tom