Never thought the day would come.....new speakers once again.

Options

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    You might be waiting a while. I heard these require 300 hours or so to really open up.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    The speakers are in a climate-controlled room where he is slowly, very slowly, acclimating them to their new environment and cleansing them of the NYC stink. The process may take weeks.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    Options
    Tom sent me a picture earlier of him hugging them... I'm disturbed
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited November 2022
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Was he at least wearing clothes this time? I know he seems to be quite popular on Grindr...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    It was Onlyfans so....😳
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Options

Was he at least wearing clothes this time? I know he seems to be quite popular on Grindr...

How and why do you know what Grindr is?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

How and why do you know what Grindr is?

I keep hearing about how dangerous it is on the news... and besides, until we have a review to read, all we can do is speculate as to what is taking so long.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Tom right now at his house….

5go1femgpdit.jpeg

Toms nightmare the day before pickup…..

pktwvcvb5oxs.jpeg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Maybe one fell on him when he tried to put the spikes on… would we dispatch a welfare check from the popo to his house? Maybe tell them there is a crazy guy doing the “Yosemite Sam” in the front yard?

• VR3
    Options
    The good news it is unlikely Tom will be carrying the Woodmere like that unless he starts eating his spinach
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    The good news it is unlikely Tom will be carrying the Woodmere like that unless he starts eating his spinach

Or roids
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited November 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Or roids

Tequila!!

https://youtu.be/BodXwAYeTfM
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Spinach, roids, meth and tequila combined couldn't get me to budge one of these speakers. I can shimmy them across the carpet while standing up without spikes and that's about it. It takes a minimum of two men just to get them from laying down on the floor to standing upright and that one who tilts them up is breathing like they just finished an Ironman competition when they are done.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    You might be waiting a while. I heard these require 300 hours or so to really open up.

Well, maybe not that long, as these are close to 20 year old speakers (estimated based upon build quality, Velcro dots and drivers) For instance, the Seas mid drivers......here is a shot of one of them. They are the same model number as the ones I have in the Linbrooks, but they look nothing alike. Similar but different from the surround to the basket to the magnet surroundings and writings (see below)

ixdcfb3v0k6u.png

hjtyu4pvg3kv.png

koohls7te0re.png

Now, this is what they look like in the Linbrooks (stock photo)

ez0ipvvmdxfp.png

gqs1j6byv01c.png

Getting back to what I was saying....I do not believe that I will have to wait 300 hours or anywhere close to that, for that matter, in order for me to offer a proper review. I'm sure they have surpassed the 300 hour mark since they left Ty's factory 20 or so years ago.

Now with that said, I have noticed a change in the sound since I plugged them in yesterday.....so offering a review would be pointless at this moment in time. I will say this. The presentation is 100% COMPLETELY different than that of the Linbrook's. Also, I haven't even put the spikes on yet and with a speaker like this? You need the spikes on there. They will greatly determine the end result as to what hits your ears.

Chris Jones', "No sanctuary here" sounded phenomenal on these speakers. Again. a complete and total change with regards to the presentation. I heard this song like I have never experienced it before on any system.

BTW and on a completely different note.....the Auralic G2 NAP is up and running without so much as a hiccup, so I am able to enjoy that as a source, the LP setup and the Marantz all as sources. I may have had some curse words "flavorful descriptions" about that in the past but I am glad I had patience with it. Turns out, it is a very nice NAP. Once the communication issues were addressed, the daggum thing has worked flawlessly.

We should be able to install the spikes on Sunday, as I have a select group coming over for an audition/listen. At that point, hopefully the sound will stop changing (although I don't mind it, because it keeps getting better and better as time goes on) and I can offer more observations.

Oh, one other thing. The MTM network has an enclosure that is much smaller than that of the Linbrooks. They are a separate enclosure from the rest of the speaker (just like the Linbrook's) but the enclosure is shortened in depth by about 4 to 5", with the same width and height. I found that to be interesting.

Regardless, I will definitely be keeping them. This is just what the doctor ordered and well worth the trip.....even stock with no tweaks, spikes or upgrades done to them yet.

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Options
    Hey. My old exit on the Southern State Pkwy. You were pulling a trailer? Surprised you didn't get pulled over

Different....

t9is60kyi18q.png

Tom

SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• treitz3
    Options
    Yeah I pulled the trailer the entire way. I take it that it was illegal to tow a trailer on that highway? I did have a cop that I passed on the way back during this stretch and he got behind me for a mile or two but veered off into another lane and got caught up in traffic. Never saw him again.

I didn't see any signs that trailers were a no-no...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Options
    Yeah. It's Cars Only (plenty of signs at each entrance- :D ). Guess he figured you weren't commercial. If you had some landscaping equipment on board, would have been another story. Robert Moses started the Northern and Southern Pkwys in 1925 (that's why the lanes are so tight) so the Manhattan elites (who else had a car back then) could get to their summer retreats. Planned for the future with the low overpasses so the masses couldn't take buses to the beach.
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• treitz3
    Options
    Oh, Whoops!

I never was one for following the rules anyways.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Getting back to what I was saying....I do not believe that I will have to wait 300 hours or anywhere close to that, for that matter, in order for me to offer a proper review. I'm sure they have surpassed the 300 hour mark since they left Ty's factory 20 or so years ago.

Chris Jones', "No sanctuary here" sounded phenomenal on these speakers. Again. a complete and total change with regards to the presentation. I heard this song like I have never experienced it before on any system.

Regardless, I will definitely be keeping them. This is just what the doctor ordered and well worth the trip.....even stock with no tweaks, spikes or upgrades done to them yet.

Guess I missed the backstory on these. How someone could have speakers like these and not play them is . . . Unimaginable.

Im glad you’re keeping them. I love my MTM Seas/Raal Salks

Good luck mañana!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    Options
    When I picked up my mezzo from the guys mansion in Maryland, he had played them for a few weeks and had put them back in the box for nearly 15 years...

His basement was quite literally an audio storage unit...

So you never know!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    As expected, they are substantially bigger than the Linbrooks.

bgsvygh21x62.png

Tom

rnn5g7ke2re4.png
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • VR3
    Options
    Toms speakers with a little trt and spinach

84amizr7vbm7.jpeg
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Can’t wait to hear these!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    Options
    Toms speakers with a little trt and spinach

84amizr7vbm7.jpeg

The owner of these (who never hooked them up BTW) has this system in his basement office...he loves horns and decided to go that route instead. His loss, my gain!

paxkq9btxnb2.png

Even though he is in NY? I have sent him an invite to come and listen....

Tom

• VR3
    Options
    I've heard the pd90, definitely an acquired taste lol
  • VR3
    Options
    y70ddtaeca63.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Tom isn't wearing SHORTS?!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Lol...
    Hey guys, can I get a hand over here, I'm about to blow and O-ring
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    Options
    tpuh4t1yj3ad.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    He'll need a stool to dust the tops, or wear a pair of his wife's high heels
    😁