Never thought the day would come.....new speakers once again.

Options

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,188
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Wow the scale did not come through in other photos. Those things are HUGE! I’d pay for an afternoon in that room…

I have always been a fan of physically imposing speakers. You know they mean business!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    They look great. Love the Rosewood and particularly that book matched finish on the left speaker!

I know what you went through with those... I had 4 guys on the Grandes and we really really struggled to lift them up 6 steps into the house!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    I wish he had done that to the R speaker as well. Oh well. Most of that will be covered up by the anti-diffraction pad anyways. No worries.

I could have used 4 guys but we got it done. Maybe we can do the spikes on the next GTG. I'm done with the heavy lifting for now....my back can't put up with much more. It's already sending me messages that I need to cool it for a while.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    As expected, they are substantially bigger than the Linbrooks.

bgsvygh21x62.png

Please forgive the mess. We literally just got done moving them into the stereo room about 20 minutes ago. They are taller than me and I haven't even installed the 2" spikes yet. VERY heavy speakers. Very heavy.

Getting them off the trailer and into the house? No problem.

Getting them from the hallway to the stereo room? Now, that was a challenge, to say the least. The boxes were taller than the doorway and the width presented challenges rounding the boxes into the room. Once in the room....getting them out of the boxes and up off the foam was yet, another challenge. Did I mention that they were heavy? That was a 3 man job and we were all grunting....but it's done now.

I am NOT looking forward to putting the spikes on....I'll tell you that!

Tom

Holy flippin doodle good buddy…. Those are huge.
    Love it!

Waiting on the listening impressions.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,188
    Options
    I remember the visceral feel from the mid bass on my fathers old Krell Resolution 1’s, I can imagine the same feel from those honking woofers
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    Options
    Did ya plug em in or what
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Not gonna happen tonight. Ran into a bump in the road, after looking at the provided jumper cables. I have to order some banana to spade adapters for my speaker cables. There is no way to hook them up without them and I'm not gonna wait right now to send them out to Transparent for re-termination. I ordered 2 different sets but the soonest I could get either of them is this Thursday.

c9sww0l9d3xj.png

Will probably just order upgraded jumper cables that fit my scenario, so I do not have to have the SC's re-terminated.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Home Depot 16-gauge lamp cord is all you need. Wires don't make a damn bit of difference. Everybody knows that... :#:#:s:*:*:*
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    When you do have them reterminated, have them install combicons if you like to use spades
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Please forgive the mess.
    Mess(?)...what mess? If that is a mess, please remind me to never invite you to my house :D
    I mean, seriously, the cherubs/cherubim alone clean the space up quite a bit!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    Options
    I prefer bananas and do not want to modify the SC's. I don't want an adapter in the path but this is just a temporary solution. I just want to test them, give them a listen and see if these are for me or not.

I know what the MTM network can do already (with the current upgrades on my Linbrooks). What is really gonna be put to the test is presence, scale and how accurate/well blended the bass is within the mains. I basically want to know if I like what I hear. Just because I am a fan of the drivers and have had nothing but Tyler's in my main rig for probably 12 or 13 years (had the 7U's before the Linbrooks)...that doesn't necessarily mean that these will strike my fancy.

Once I make the decision to keep them, then I will work on upgrading the crossover/connections/swapping parts/material from the existing crossover for the Linbrooks over to the Woodmere's.

Tom
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Those are beautiful.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Tom, just take a hammer and smash the banana terminals on your jumpers flat and then clamp them into your speaker terminals like spades. Problem solved.

Beautiful speakers by the way.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    That’s a nice set of speakers for sure
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    Beautiful!!! As said HUGE!!!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Forget how they sound, just based on looks.....I'd be sitting in your chair straight beating it like it owed me money.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Daymmn those things are HUGE, and awesomely intimidating!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Getting some good spikes on those will be an adventure for sure! Watch your feet.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Still wondering about that first reflection point off the ceiling ......... it's always something LOL
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Damn, you were practically in my back yard. I would have given you a hand getting them loaded up.

Of course, that would have followed with exact directions to my house, so you may not have needed my assistance that much.

Nice score anyway, enjoy them!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Gorgeous towers! Congrats

That is an especially long journey . . . and drag’n that construction trailer, too!

CONGRATS TOM
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Where the hades is the review!!!

dh2s9at3dvgs.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    **** ain't even plugged them in yet
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    As expected, they are substantially bigger than the Linbrooks.

Tom

That is an understatement. Holy crap!

2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • treitz3
    Options
    treitz39 wrote:
    This will be my all-time record for picking up a pair of speakers. Something like 1,500 miles round trip and a 3 day adventure.

Well, it turned out to be a 1,521 miles, 2 day journey filled with sights that I will never forget. I drove up during peak fall season for most of the journey (an added plus) and the views were spectacular. Not all of it, mind you....there was traffic and many hours were during night time along the way but all in all? Not a bad journey.

*Most* drivers were respectful and courteous. For such a long trip? I can say that I have had many encounters here local that were much worse on my daily commute. With that said, I did go the way of the Shenandoah. Right through the valley of the mountains, bypassing all of DC and Baltimore traffic.

NYC roadways are all F'd up. 3 times, the slow lane ended within about 150 feet....no signs, no warning, no arrows, no nothing but a concrete wall that just took your lane over. You had the choice to slam on your brakes, hit the wall or merge quicker than you ever have in your life. This also happened twice while I was in the fast lane. Once again, no freakin' warning at all. Your lane just ended *snap* like that! Every time this happened, the speed limit was 50mph or higher....WTF?

On one stretch of road, I am looking in the mirrors and my trailer is about 2 inches away from a concrete barrier and the other side is about 5 inches away from a semi. Speed limit was 50 or 55. So, things are already, shall I say, "tight". Next thing I see is this car in front of me seemingly launch into the air and slam back down lower than he was before, creating sparks everywhere when he landed.

When my truck gets to this point, it was the equivalent of hitting a full sized speed bump, followed by the road dropping about a half a foot on the other side of the "speed bump". This happened on this stretch of road about 6 or 7 times and it was so violent, I actually hit my head on the roof of my truck. One of these "speed bumps" was rounding a corner! At 50MPH!!!

I got very lucky the truck and trailer were able to stay in the lane and not hit either the vehicles to one side of me or the concrete barrier.

Anyhoo, the journey was a success. The speakers made it back to my house in pristine condition and last night, after the adapters arrived, I hooked them up and gave them a listen. More on that later.

In the meantime, here are a couple of shots I took along the journey there and back...please forgive all of the bugs on the windshield....there were plenty to go around....

y0cwexuw6wr4.png

7m84517zflww.png

Lots and lots....and lots of this....

og8zxgav7hra.png

aromjby0b04m.png

One of only two traffic jams. The highway just came to a complete stop for 20 minutes. I have no clue as to why. The other one was due to construction delays.

maq6hznfa4g4.png

s4maubu9z6aj.png

Hey, I know this place!!

cud2lxvsyhsv.png

Finally pulling into NYC...

myb6s7vhu7a0.png

Loaded up and heading back...

sb2vxcbp2xgs.png

Different....

t9is60kyi18q.png

UGH....NYC Saturday morning traffic....

1zmg6pmn7bpn.png

t3uxjt480wfo.png

Back to the same ol', same ol'...for hundreds of miles....

i21hkfys2rwn.png

xy9y3rk35x0f.png

4eijexkauotk.png

Tom

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    It's a beautiful country!
  • treitz3
    Options
    wei1bb27a1jv.png

dbuf7xhlk3x2.png

uhl6hl21pbjw.png

dpv1njhlht18.png

The colors on this trip were.....amazing. These photos do not accurately portray just how colorful these mountains actually were...

531477re1ntm.png

r6iakhdjojpt.png

bacucx9srvxs.png

ixuohjg9ythj.png

gh6ptrneamg9.png

1pe5jw6sv56r.png

6ox5yd0ccfwc.png

moh6f6nu42yf.png

So, that's the last of the journey photos. After that, it was too dark to safely take any pics while driving and I finally rolled into Charlotte around 1 in the morning.

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Great pics and nothing is more gratifying than a long journey for a set of speakers. It adds to the story!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Great pics of the trip, but where's the damn review!