Never thought the day would come.....new speakers once again.

Options

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    He'll need a stool to dust the tops, or wear a pair of his high heels
    😁

Fixed it for ya...

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    Options
    I'll come back Tuesday for that picture
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    This is not what I had in mind for .....imagery 😂
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I could have gone all day without that visual...
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    He'll need a stool to dust the tops, or wear a pair of his wife's high heels
    😁

He already wears everything else in her closet….
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    That left speaker needs to come forward another inch and a quarter.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    Options
    Great time had by all. Met a new cat, name of Ron....AKA, "The tweaker", who doesn't live to far away from me and has been in the hobby for 16 or so years before I was even born.

Listened to just about every genre under the sun. Learned some things. Played around a bit with the sound, talked and had an overall great time. Speakers weigh so much that within a half of an inch was "acceptable". These are NOT easy to move and everything affects everything.

Reconfigured the rig after everyone left, with the help of Trey (VR3). Now, on to making the rig sound good in the room. The Linbrooks are out of the room and we moved the Rhythmik's (both of them and the stands).

More later....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited November 2022
    Options
    So... Officially our little Carolina group is almost equipped with speakers we can be buried in... Just need to bring Troy's bozak back and he's back!

Size matters for speakers to reach closer to the real thing no doubt.

Always fun to hang out with Tom and a Rick! Ron was a cool guy and definitrly into the tweaking side of audio, curious to hear his setup! That little bell device was intriguing!

e6eyki1w7mfw.jpg

Was very cool to hear and see the Woodmere after all these years. They sounded very good and we all heard their potential. This also reiterates a previous point discussed, you can't put speakers into a system and expect magic. You have to find the speakers you want to invest in and build a system around them, there is no other way!
    Going to be a super fun adventure for Tom!

78qaoei1xwqt.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    That little bell thing was honestly surprising. I wasn't expecting for there to be any difference. I was wrong.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that TLW would veto a return on the Bozaks. (but I wouldn't mind having them back...)

Again, anxious for the next gathering!!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    That little bell thing was honestly surprising. I wasn't expecting for there to be any difference. I was wrong.

Tom

What is it and what is it supposed to do?

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Any objects that are placed in-between the L and R speakers will technically have an affect on how they sound. This includes the equipment rack, CD/Vinyl storage, frivolous decorations, etc.
  • VR3
    Options
    He really needs a play pen
  • treitz3
    Options
    Actually, I have no idea what it's called. It looks to be a stamped, heavy (about 15-17"ish" pounds) bell looking thing-a-ma-bobber that sits on a brass stand. You are supposed to place it in between the speakers, at tweeter height but I was surprised at what it did on the floor. If you held it and tapped it with something, it would ring for about 5 minutes.

It made voices and instruments sound more ""natural", easily more palpable, if you will. I guess the best way I could describe it would be that it took the sound of the speakers and gave more of a real sound to the sound, versus replicated music. It wasn't like it made everything into a night and day difference but it definitely made a change for the better.

I could clearly tell when it was in and when it was out. Not sure it's worth the cost....maybe one day when my system is done (I know, haha...) or if I ever happen to run across a good deal on one but I will say this. After hearing it? I'd like to get one.

I was talking with Ron about it and I asked him if they still go for a grand or something like that and he stated that this sounded about right. Maybe a grand to 1.5 grand. You don't plug it in, there are no electronics to it at all and it does nothing to alter the signal path. It simply enhances (in a very positive way) the end result as to what hits your ears.

Update on the system. She isn't hooked up anymore at the moment, as we did some rearranging after the meet. I'll work on getting her all hooked back up this week. I will say this....everyone there said that I don't need subs anymore. I strongly disagree with that thought. Well, let me clarify a little bit more....

They definitely do not "need" a sub (or 2 Rhythmik F-25's) but there is still that last bit of information that the subs enhance. I'll keep the subs in play fo'sho'. Just need to dial them into their new location and then to the new system. The Woodmere's are a completely different animal when it comes to bass in the room and that warrants readjusting them all over again. The settings they were set at for the Linbrooks caused some nulls and cancellations.

BTW, with the spikes now on the speakers, they are now considerably taller than I am. The spikes added another 2" to the height and improved the bass dramatically (as expected).

sbq8h3rgwmfg.png

Oh, and no playpen for me...unless Trey comes back to visit. :*

And yes, anything in between the speakers will have an affect on the sound. When I got my current rack, I was surprised at how much the imaging and spatial locationality cues improved. I'd love to move it out from the center but I do not have the real estate in my room to do so, unless I put everything in the closet, which I don't want to do.

On another note. I calculated my entire system weight the other day and the total without any cables, IC's, PC's and the like is over 1,584.7 pounds. Looks like I will have to do some work underneath the house to properly support such weight. It's safe right now but I'd like to keep it that way, with all of the extreme vibrations going on.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    Turns out I was right, Trey. They do make a bigger model. I was able to find out what this little bell thing is...HighEnd Novum PMR's.

https://highend-electronics.com/products/highend-novum-pmr-mk-ii

The link above is to the bigger one (and the price has gone up dramatically since the last time I looked at them. The bigger one is now being sold at $2990.00, although it is currently out of stock.

https://highend-electronics.com/products/highendnovum-pmr-initium

The second link above is for the smaller model, which I believe is the one we heard yesterday. That one sells for $1,590.00 but is also out of stock at the moment.

I always thought something like this was snake oil type stuff, as I have heard the Shakti(?) sticks behind speakers before and they didn't do a thing for me.....but also came with an exorbitant price tag. They also looked rather funny (to me) also. This Novum PVR kinda looks cool and it definitely made a difference. I wouldn't have believed it, had I not heard it myself.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    I swear that bell thing looks like it has 2 cap/resistor things in the back, what are those?
  • treitz3
    Options
    He stated that they were another "tweak" and that he has them all over components within his system. I have no idea what they are. They look like wax wrapped resistors but that's not what they are. He added two to the Novum PVR but we never took them out or experimented with those.

The next time one of us talks to Ron, we'll have to ask him. He swears up and down that they make a difference. I have my reservations on those.....could be a gimmick, could be a desirable tweak. I'm sure one of us will try some out in one of our rigs someday.....if they are reasonable in cost. I'm leaning more towards the skeptical side with those though.

Tom
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    And yes, anything in between the speakers will have an affect on the sound.
    4r2l12wnxwt4.png
    I'm guessing with this setup, it sounded heavenly...or, at least, angelic :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    Options
    Actually, it didn't sound bad but it didn't really sound good either. The Linbrooks absorbed much of the frequencies and created reflections that weren't, shall I say, desirable. Same thing for when the Linbrooks were still hooked up but the Woodmere's were there, not hooked up.

I would have never placed the Linbrooks where the Woodmere's are in that photo. There would have been a missing center image and a FUBAR'Dd sound stage. For some reason, the Woodmere's have no issue filling this space, even though they are much further apart.

I currently have plenty of playing room to properly find the right spot for the Woodmere's. It will also be a heck of a lot easier to adjust the settings of the subs. That's a very welcome relief. Now I can just walk around the Woodmere's and adjust the subs without spinning them around or doing the human pretzel every time I go to make an adjustment.

Tom
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I was actually referring to the circled little fellas below, and 'anything in between the speakers'. "Heavenly", "angelic"...get it? Work with me, here, Tom! :D
    5894456z72o4.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Just wait until you upgrade the crossovers

• pitdogg2
    Options
    YEA put some Solens in there
  • treitz3
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I was actually referring to the circled little fellas below, and 'anything in between the speakers'. "Heavenly", "angelic"...get it? Work with me, here, Tom! :D

Sorry man, that one flew over my head like a 747...

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    I swear that bell thing looks like it has 2 cap/resistor things in the back, what are those?

https://bybeetech.com/products/#purifiers–diy-and-oem

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    @VR3 - “…you can't put speakers into a system and expect magic. You have to find the speakers you want to invest in and build a system around them, there is no other way!”

Couldn’t agree more.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Fantastic set-up . . .
    I May have missed it, but what are the listening room demensions?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    YEA put some Solens in there

https://bybeetech.com/products/#purifiers–diy-and-oem

Tom

A fool and his money are soon parted, comes to mind.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I'm guessing paper-in-oil Duelund caps, but maybe Ivan was being cheeky with the Solen cap recommendation. Sometimes, I still can't figure out the inside jokes with you bunch of blokes.
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2022
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    maybe Ivan was being cheeky with the Solen cap recommendation. Sometimes, I still can't figure out the inside jokes with you bunch of blokes.

Oh heck yes I was! I wouldn't put them in a clock radio.

Are you sure you're not Canadian Jody?
    😉
  • treitz3
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Fantastic set-up . . .
    I May have missed it, but what are the listening room dimensions?

Mornin' to ya' GlennDog! The room dimensions are 13x15, with the rig setup on the short wall. There is a bathroom behind the listening position (walled off obviously) that I keep the door open too while listening that adds another 8x13 of volume. This helps tame the lower frequencies a bit, so they don't quickly overload the room. All ceilings in this area are 8 feet high.

Tom