Never thought the day would come.....new speakers once again.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Looks great

I personally vote for two more subs

8 15s should do the trick
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Could triple stack each tower....then get two more towers for the back!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    You had me until you said “Kenny G”….
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    You wouldn't say that if you hear what I hear. He may be frowned upon by some who may prefer Five Finger Death Punch or say, Ozzy Osbourne but the entire album is relaxing, well recorded and very decent music. That's just what the doctor ordered tonight.

Ya' got's ta' mix it up man. I get tired of the same ol' same ol'.

Plus, with over 2K albums, along with Tidal and Qobuz....I have no shortage of music at my disposal. So long as it ain't Rap, Opera or poorly/badly recorded music? I'll give it a listen. Tonight, I just felt like listening to this album again....and I enjoyed it very much.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2022
    Just bustin the chops man… last night it was ABBA, and today some Air Supply.

I have a new Auralic Vega coming next week, so I will be looking to get my listen on as well.

Check out Tanya Tucker’s “While I’m Livin’”. A great album.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    ABBA, Air Supply? Someone kill me now please!!
  • nooshinjohn
    They sound amazing on the L800’s

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited November 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    So, there aren't many things better than wrapping up your work week early, looking forward to the next three days off, warming up the rig and listening to Kenny G's album, "Breathless" in it's entirety at concert levels on this system while sipping a nice cold, adult drink....

Life is good.

About a month or so ago, while I was up vacationing in the mountains of the Shenandoah, I stumbled across a unique consignment shop that had rare and unusual fine things. One thing I found deep in the corner of their basement was a musical piece of artwork. Very unique. Tonight, my son and I finally got around to hanging it up.

gs4zprinhzpe.png

Tom

It really pulls the room together. Cool-lookin’ piece.

Have you considered an accent wall to make the wall hanging and rosewood speakers pop?
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • treitz3
    edited November 2022
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Have you considered an accent wall to make the wall hanging and rosewood speakers pop?

Not only have I considered it, I have a page of links, samples, ideas and whatnot about it that I have been collecting/debating about for years. I keep going back and forth and back again with acoustical curtains, acoustical treatment, reclaimed wood, decorative diffuses/absorbers, bass traps and a plethora of ideas with a mixture of some of them.

With the way the rig looks now, I don't think I want it to get any "busier" than it is, so I'll probably just go with something simple. Either a different accent color or reclaimed wood planks with colors and hues that complement the space.

If it was a normal wall, it would be easy for me. That window really throws things off for me and the symmetry of the rig but I ain't touchin' that at all. This is one of two windows in the room and I like windows. I hate the feeling of being "sealed in" and I like to look out and see the wildlife/nature. Well, that and the plants in the room need light. So I need to work around it.

Thanks for the kind words. It didn't take too gawd awful long for me to pull the trigger on it, even though it wasn't.....let's just say that it wasn't a "bargain" find, just because it was in the basement. I initially did not like the brass and copper on it and was going to simply paint it the same color as I did the rack (ORB, satin). Now that it's up? Eh, not sure I want to paint it or not.

Tom

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Working your way up to Alabama? RIP Jeff Cook
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Working your way up to Alabama? RIP Jeff Cook
    Alabama, Little River Band, Oak Ridge boys, even the Statler brothers

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

Not only have I considered it, I have a page of links, samples, ideas and whatnot about it that I have been collecting/debating about for years. I keep going back and forth and back again with acoustical curtains, acoustical treatment, reclaimed wood, decorative diffuses/absorbers, bass traps and a plethora of ideas with a mixture of some of them.

With the way the rig looks now, I don't think I want it to get any "busier" than it is, so I'll probably just go with something simple. Either a different accent color or reclaimed wood planks with colors and hues that complement the space.

If it was a normal wall, it would be easy for me. That window really throws things off for me and the symmetry of the rig but I ain't touchin' that at all. This is one of two windows in the room and I like windows. I hate the feeling of being "sealed in" and I like to look out and see the wildlife/nature. Well, that and the plants in the room need light. So I need to work around it.

Thanks for the kind words. It didn't take too gawd awful long for me to pull the trigger on it, even though it wasn't.....let's just say that it wasn't a "bargain" find, just because it was in the basement. I initially did not like the brass and copper on it and was going to simply paint it the same color as I did the rack (ORB, satin). Now that it's up? Eh, not sure I want to paint it or not.

Tom

Personally, I like the brass look of the wall-hanging; though a bit different than the copper color on the bass/mid-bass drivers phase-plugs, being metal there is a similar sheen which feels consistent and part of what makes it look right in the room.

Seems the metal concept (i.e. copper, brass, gold, silver, etc.) could be a good, subtle way to bring additional dimensionality there, but don’t go overboard.

Perhaps, if it doesn’t negatively impact the acoustics, you could bring the tall audio rack in the center a bit out from the wall for a greater sense of depth in the room; for example, positioned a little ahead of the subs, but still well-behind the front plane of the speakers so as not to screw-up imaging and center-fill.

The rosewood finish keeps things earthy, and I can imagine the brown tone in the wood-grain as a nice backdrop which should cause a nice pop of the orange tones in the veneer.

Maybe a couple mid-size green plants beside/between the Tylers and in-front of the large black subs for diffusion of mids and highs while adding a bit more visual appeal in the room (bass should, in theory, be unaffected, but you might have to experiment a bit with placement).

In other words, can I have your system? 😅😜
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    @treitz3 - I got the following at Hobby Lobby some time ago, and I bet these would fit the bill aesthetically and size-wise with the above concept, if you can find something similar:

kofhjao0ppit.jpeg

• treitz3
    While I appreciate the advice?

To be completely honest? That will not work. I have enough room to the outside of the new location of the mains to "just" get me fat belly to scoot beyond the sides of the mains that so that they will not move...even if I brush against them heavily.

The real estate in this room is what it is.

I am beginning to think that these speakers have "NOT" been properly broken in, even after all of these years. The change in sonics have now stopped and is wonderful. Like the Mc'sD's commercial....."I'm Lovin' it!"

Whether it be streamed, physical or LP? All of it sounds great. From low level to 52 out of 100 on the Canary pre. When the level of the performance or studio recording is adjusted right? Sweeeeeeeeeet.

The visceral impact is unreal, along with the presence. It is a (as said before) COMPLETELY different presentation from the Linbrook's.

The highest I EVER got with the Linbrooks was somewhere around 42 to 45....which was LOUD.

These speakers are definitely just what the doctor ordered! I have increased my nominal Db by 10 with no discernible degradation of quality whatsoever. Only bliss. Deep, deep digging bass....with no "boom" at the bottom whatsoever.

Tom

• I'm so glad for your sake, after all that effort to get those monsters home and in place, that you are enjoying them! This whole time I was thinking, "What if he's disappointed with what he hears?" They sure are pretty though!

I have a hard time walking away from the modest system I put together. If I had a setup like that I'd spend every waking minute in the sweet spot digesting every album I own! Congratulations!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jbreezy5
    While I appreciate the advice?

To be completely honest? That will not work. I have enough room to the outside of the new location of the mains to "just" get me fat belly to scoot beyond the sides of the mains that so that they will not move...even if I brush against them heavily.

The real estate in this room is what it is.

I am beginning to think that these speakers have "NOT" been properly broken in, even after all of these years. The change in sonics have now stopped and is wonderful. Like the Mc'sD's commercial....."I'm Lovin' it!"

Whether it be streamed, physical or LP? All of it sounds great. From low level to 52 out of 100 on the Canary pre. When the level of the performance or studio recording is adjusted right? Sweeeeeeeeeet.

The visceral impact is unreal, along with the presence. It is a (as said before) COMPLETELY different presentation from the Linbrook's.

The highest I EVER got with the Linbrooks was somewhere around 42 to 45....which was LOUD.

These speakers are definitely just what the doctor ordered! I have increased my nominal Db by 10 with no discernible degradation of quality whatsoever. Only bliss. Deep, deep digging bass....with no "boom" at the bottom whatsoever.

Tom

No worries. That was just my imagination running away with me.

• jbreezy5
    newbie308 wrote: »
    I'm so glad for your sake, after all that effort to get those monsters home and in place, that you are enjoying them! This whole time I was thinking, "What if he's disappointed with what he hears?" They sure are pretty though!

I have a hard time walking away from the modest system I put together. If I had a setup like that I'd spend every waking minute in the sweet spot digesting every album I own! Congratulations!

2nd paragraph, first sentence…be mindful of this before making future changes to the current recipe.

Sometimes one change can make the whole thing collapse, and then you’re back down the rabbit hole.

Modesty be damned; when it sounds good, it sounds good. Always pursue what your ears enjoy, and don’t despise it based on how little you spent to attain it, or someone else telling you it’s not good enough. Trust your own ears.

• treitz3
    I'm so glad for your sake, after all that effort to get those monsters home and in place, that you are enjoying them! This whole time I was thinking, "What if he's disappointed with what he hears?" They sure are pretty though!

Well, it wouldn't have been the first time I drove vast distances for a pair of speakers. I drove 11 hours one way to get my old speakers (The Linbrooks) from Ty's factory in Kentucky. Got lucky with those, as I had those for a decade. Another pair of speakers I drove 11 hours one way for, those were a pair of Carver Amazings. They were in and right back out within a 2 week span.

Thanks for the kind words. Ever since I got these speakers, I have been spending way too much of my time (I say that like it's a bad thing) dialing them in, working on improving the rest of the system, tweaking here and there, adjusting this and that and then just sitting down to listen.

I have come a long way since the day they came in. It was torture for me to have them for about a week and not even be able to listen to them because of the jumper issue....and then when I could listen to them, the Linbrooks were still in the room, affecting the sound. Then I had to wait to get the spikes on and get the Linbrooks out of the room.

All of that is behind me now and now I can concentrate on these bad boys.

The subs are about 95% of where I want them to be. They are dialed into their new location and to the room but I want to dial them in even better to get it "just right" to blend into the mains. With the subs in the new location, dialing them in is a WHOLE lot easier, as I don't need to do the human pretzel thing or spin then around to adjust them anymore. I just shimmy my way back behind the mains and adjust them. That makes dialing them in so much easier (and quicker) than it used to be.

Back when the subs were in the corner, I could do something as simple as change out a power cord (there is a thread here about doing just that >>> https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/188993/what-pisses-me-off-power-cords/p1) and just changing out a PC would set me back to sometimes 3 months of dialing the system back in. Aggravating, to say the least.

I have had these speakers in place and the subs in the new location for about 2 weeks now and I'm almost there already. Just a few more minor adjustments and the system will be dialed in. So, when I say quicker and more convenient? Man, I mean it!

There is one thing that I am really enjoying about the rig as of this moment. That is, the enjoyment I get out of her, regardless of what format I am playing, genre or loudness. Yes, there are some aspects of the Linbrook crossover upgrades that these speakers do not have but now that I have figured out how to use the lasers to measure the distances (I used to use the sides of the Linbrooks to do this but the Woodmere's have angled and rounded sides), the system has increased in imaging, spatial locationality cues and especially the phantom center image in spades. Sometimes, I would swear that there is a middle speaker where the rack is.

The Linbrooks did a great job with the center image but the Woodmere's do this exceptionally well. Weird, because they use the same drivers but hey, I'm definitely not gonna complain.

Tom

• treitz3
    So, I get this bill in the mail today. I was expecting the NY tolls to be around $60.00

Nope, I rec'd a bill for $14.00.......a month and a half later. We'll see what the final tally is after all of the dust settles at the end of the month. But, That's NOT why I am posting.

This is not an official review but IS my observations thus far, concerning these speakers...

_______________________________________________________________________________

When I first got them, the Linbrooks were still in the room. The spikes were not installed. They were not centralized in the optimum location within the room. The sub(s) were not optimized to the system. They had not yet been broken into said system......

I have since corrected these issues.

To be honest? I seriously do not think they were "properly" broken in at all. I mentioned this before but the more I listen? The more they open up....STILL (however slightly at this point).

I have listened to about every genre known to man and I can say that it has been a blast. Of course, this is all recording dependent.....but not as much as the upgraded Linbrooks. I don't know whether or not that this is a good thing. If you don't know the history of the Linbrooks and the journey I took with them?

Well, they were THE most highly upgraded set I have ever heard of. Nowhere near stock and WELL above what Ty offered from the factory. The Woodmere's were not too far off the mark when I first got them.

With that said? I am wondering just how far I will actually have to go to get them to "beyond" the Linbrooks concerning the subtleties. The phantom image is SPOT on. The sound stage depth has increased in spades. The height perception went up a foot or more but the aura and especially the presence and scale went up in spades.

Especially the scale of the music.

They are very revealing (not what I heard when I first got them) but without being over analytical or "un" musical. For the first time since I had the Dodd pre-amplifier (after I dialed these bad boys in)? I get goose bumps once again. With vinyl, with CD's and with.....believe it or not......even streaming.

While this may not matter much to you? It damned sure does to me. I spent way too much dough trying to get those goose bumps back and now they are repeatable. Every damned time I listen to certain tracks/songs. They happen every time, mimicking what the Dodd used to do in my system.

The end result?

I wil listen more and evaluate all aspects of the reproductive effort but for now? I am more than pleasantly surprised at the end result as to what hits these ears.....on all genre's.

Tom
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Goosebumps I find is a good indicator of emotional connection. It doesn’t necessarily means best reproduction per se, since for example I can get goosebumps being off center or even hearing something on the radio as long as it walks me back down memory lane.

But I can tell you, getting goosebumps is a good sign you’re absolutely on the right track.

Great job and pick up.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    You need an ANK DAC and an acoustic children's playpen diffuser. Then and ONLY then will you be truly done.

Trey can provide you with the model number of the playpen.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    The decade series is a Dannie Ritchie design. I ordered the d2 back in the day when they first came out and returned them swiftly. Speakers are incredibly over damped. The d2 could not even fill my old 10.5x10.5 bedroom with sound above 70 db.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Trey liked them so much, that I never even got a chance to hear them. They were in and right back out too soon.

He wasn't impressed at all.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited December 2022
    That is a very blue room ....
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    I finally got a chance to read through this whole thread. Congrats on a great road trip speaker find! Your story is reminiscent of my trip to Buffalo to get my SS-M9 12 years ago and also of me not expecting to replace those ever, but I did with another road trip last summer (much shorter 4hrs each way) to get my Revels. I can't imagine having speakers that tall, although they might not look too big with my 18' ceilings.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...