SDA SRS new to me

skipshot12
skipshot12 Posts: 990
I should start a new post regarding the acquisition of these speakers.
Had asked a question regarding Phase Linear amps to drive them that pitdogg2 responded to.

So,
Bought a pair of the SDA SRS Signatures recently and wanted to share. Original blade/blade.
Been reading/looking and lusting after these since the early 80's when I first read about them.
Read the review in Stereo Review in 1985 and was hooked.

Well, was able to pull the trigger and purchase a pair.
Original owner. Absolutely perfect with no mods, complete originals.
Gonna enjoy them for a while before making a decision whether to head down the mod rabbit hole.
Did the pressure test (courtesy) per reading

These are replacing my Infinity Kappa 9's. Great speakers in their own right but, I'm pretty confident these will surpass those.
Was in the process of upgrading the crossovers in the kappa 9's and quickly became overwhelmed.

Comments

• skipshot12
    After getting home it was time to start pulling the monsters outta the back of the Tahoe.
    Good thing I removed the spare tire frame....

6u6laquoajwz.jpg
  • skipshot12
    Started with checking all the screws on the drivers and passive.
    Found two issues with the passive on the first speaker. Two of the screw inserts were stripped. When assembled from the factory (I'm guessing) the screws were, just there, not tight. The inserts were screwed all the way down into the fiberboard and were just hanging.
    Luckily an easy fix... headed to Ace and grabbed two brass inserts of the same size and the same thread pitch.

I also picked up some flat and lock washers for the passive.
    Perfect fit, hopefully this keeps the screws from coming loose so quickly after extended loud playing sessions.
    May look into this for the drivers to as long as they have the wood inserts.
  • skipshot12
    Both are now out, by myself no less.
    These monsters are way more speaker in size than my Kappa 9's.

A picture of the backs...

cp3ek8z0qzvb.jpg
  • skipshot12
    Grills vacuumed and standing tall at parade rest...

lso0clcq6dka.jpg
  • skipshot12
    Now to get em inside...

I was able to get the Legacy-Audio focus inside by myself. I reckon I can do it the same way with the Polk's. Legacy's were close to the same size and weighed 200lbs each.

What I did was lay them on their sides then lifted to their tops, then to their bottoms, etc...
    Being gentle and consistent it worked. Once inside being able to move them into place while on their feet.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited July 2022
    Be very careful with washers up against the rubber surround. If they are on top or just touching the rubber it will cause cracks (if touching) or twist the rubber under the washer. Both will cause premature accelerated wear. Those are very very hard to obtain in the wild and if you do find them they will cost a few hundred to buy.
    May look into this for the drivers to as long as they have the wood inserts.

Hurricane nut inserts are tried and true.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Those look to be in great shape!
  • skipshot12
    edited July 2022
    They surprised me, when I went to pick em' up, at the condition they're in.
    Original and unmolested. Got lucky as hell and found a one owner only driven to church......

Bahahahaaaaaaa... hand truck. Or a couple O friends with a couple of six packs for payment.

Thank you for the heads-up on the washers in regard to the surround rubber on the passive.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    What branch of military were you in?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Can't wait to hear your impressions. Both the Kappa and the Focus are at the top of my 80's/90's lust list.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Can't wait to hear your impressions. Both the Kappa and the Focus are at the top of my 80's/90's lust list.

I may be selling my Kappa 8’s if you’re interested. PM me if so.
  • skipshot12
    edited July 2022
    nooshinjohn,
    Army 76-80, 3 years in Germany. Small town called Hanau and stationed @ Fleigerhorst Kaserne.
    Helicopter Powertrain Repair, 13 or 15 Delta MOS... memory sucks. Huey's, Chit-Hooks, OH58's, Cobra's. I got censored writing s. h. i. t.-hooks :#

pitdogg2,
    I'll take a pic regarding the washers and post. After all these years of being taken care of I don't want to be the one to damage those surrounds.
    I think they're ok???? But, want to make sure.

plastic_avatar,
    Can give you first hand impressions of both the Kappa & Focus....

Legacy-Audio Focus are very powerful speakers. Excellent speakers for rock, full orchestra and big band music. I don't listen to jazz, chamber or opera so I can't report on the speaker's performance with those genre's. Very sensitive and can take mucho wattage. Never fatiguing to me, very good frequency extension in the bottom end, they could definitely rock the house. Can be a little bright for some folks but never to me.
    Drove them with Sim Audio Moon W-10 mono blocks and Moon P-5 Dual-Mono Preamp, a fantastic combination. Also drove them with a pair of WOPL Phase Linear 700 Series II's. Also a gret combination.

The only problems I had with the Focus was with their Midrange Kevlar Drivers. Mine kept breaking off the leads at the cones. I had to replace three of my Kevlar Midranges. I initially tried to re-solder the lead but DAMN, they always broke right close to the back of the cone. I found it best to just replace the driver. Always needed to keep spares on hand.
    They have made quite a few generations since and may no longer have those issues. Not sure when they stopped using the Kevlar Mid-Range.
    Maybe this was the case with just the 1st Gen Focus, I don't know this to be true, as mine were the 1st Gen.

Very nice speaker that most would be completely satisfied with.
    The build quality on these are top notch.
    Large speaker that need room from the back wall and sides to sound their best.

My Infinity Kappa 9's....

They are something special. Prefer these over the Legacy Focus. There's something about the bass in these speakers that I can't define but holy crap! They can shake the house at much lower volumes than the Focus could. The Focus could do that but, it took a much much higher level of loudness to get there.
    I'm not talking boominess bass either, tight well controlled pounding your chest and gut bass.
    Ended up getting rid of the Focus and keeping the Kappa's.

There's something about the drivers in the Infinity's that are just sweet. The midrange is right. The top end can be a bit too revealing.... some may call it a tad harsh (EMIT & SEMIT). But, once re-capped is beautiful. Maybe it was just the age of the caps? I never thought they were harsh even before the re-cap.

I had a pair of Infinity Kappa 8's before my 9's. They are excellent speakers too. They did everything the 9's do except for the power of the bass. The 9's don't seem to produce anything lower than the 8's are capable of I just think the added woofer just gives it more.

The 9's need to be in a larger room, smaller rooms will be overwhelmed quickly. If you like sound pressure then a smaller room's for you but, it can become boomy.
    They also need a ton of watts & current. Very very difficult speakers to drive. There's something Nuddell did when designing the crossovers... they're (crossover) way complicated and difficult to re-cap and, if one's going full bore on the crossovers the inductors are whole nudda headache. Getting just the upgraded caps to fit on the crossover are a ball buster.
    I'm pretty sure that's, the crossover design, what gives them their special sound in that Arnie knew what he was doing. That's also what makes them so hard to drive.
    They had to do some crazy crossover engineering to get those two 12" woofers to operate in such a small woofer cabinet to get that kind of bass to work... and holy flippin' doodle good buddy does it work!

I also have Infinity's Prelude MTS Speakers.
    If anyone wants to know how those sound I can try and give my "biased to Infinity" opinion.

I can't wait to get the SDA's hooked up to make a comparison...

Skip
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2022
    Thanks… I figured it was a branch that actually gets dirty to get the job done when you used the term”parade rest”. USMC, VMFA122 for me. I fixed the F404 on F/A-16s
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    ***F/A-18’s…. Lol

• skipshot12
    Couple O pics ya'll on the flat washers and the lock washers...
    Will I be ok?

15d6htit82ei.jpg

xyiwmi27st3s.jpg

• pitdogg2
    Makes me nervous. I had done something similar with my drivers and passive on my sda1 signatures. The rubber started cracking. The bottom picture looks as if it's under the rubber.
    I can't explain why but for whatever reason the rubber started cracking around my washers. For me it wasn't really a problem because I had spare drivers. As for the passives spares are very very hard to find and there is no replacement rubber to repair should they go south.
    I'd advise against using any armor or rubber protectant on any driver.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Here's another possibility. Similar problem w/my drivers and while doing xschop's semi-ring install I addressed this. One change in the details of the following post...instead of aluminum I'd look for steel or stainless.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2640997/#Comment_2640997
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    This is the way I've been doing it. It's a 10-32 black oxide square nut with one side milled or ground down and drilled out a bit. Sometimes I've had to trim the surround a little where there was misalignment from the factory but otherwise no trimming usually necessary. I trimmed this one:

vy4pq43pxn8y.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • skipshot12
    I had no idea....
    I'm gonna pull those washers today and modify them.
    I have a Dremel, gonna grind a flat spot on the flat washers so they recess a little up against the outer ring of the passive.
    Should allow it to move slightly away from the rubber surround.

I do like the idea of the lock washers not allowing the screw to loosen from vibrations. The Kappa 9's were always backing out (woofers are the worst) and loosening the screws, constantly tightening. On the Kappa's there's no insert, driver's screw right into the MDF.

Not positive the lock washers will actually work yet but, didn't want to Loctite at this time just in case.
    New to these and am stepping lightly to start.

Thanks for the link...

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Sometimes I've had to trim the surround a little where there was misalignment from the factory
    vy4pq43pxn8y.jpg

Why do I see a hole in your trimming?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited July 2022
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Sometimes I've had to trim the surround a little where there was misalignment from the factory

Why do I see a hole in your trimming?

I see that too and that's not where I trimmed. I guess call it a flash photograph artifact that isn't really there.

Edit to add - It is possible that it is some excess adhesive from the surround attachment process.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2022
    I use #8 round flat washers with socket cap screws, no problem.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    Before starting the grinding on the washers I had initially used, decided to head back to Ace Hardware to see what they had in stock.
    I found these M4 washers (Metric) to give them a go... just a tad smaller on the outside diameter.
    I think they may do the job. No more pinching on the surround and am pretty happy with the results.

Thank you's for the guidance.
    More better.....

7tbc41wa1o4f.jpg

k6f2mqn9al52.jpg

• skipshot12
    Moved the Kappa 9's out this morning and am ready to try and get them into the house.....
  • skipshot12
    I've been skull f-ing myself over moving the Polk's into the house. Years ago wouldn't have thought twice.
    It's been two weeks since I picked them up and finally got my head in the right place to bring em into the house.
    Feeling awesome about that accomplishment tonight.
    Got er done tonight.

I wrapped the speakers with a moving blanket and laid them on my stairs in the garage.
    Then lifted the one end to get them upright and slid them into their position by the fireplace.

They're in a temp position, for now, to give them a test.
    Going to move my amp & disc player over to the fireplace for a listen.
  • skipshot12
    gvrrft7ejp2k.jpg
    Wouldn't let me attach the video of the first fire up, file's too large? Guess 1 minute are too many bits?

First listen was without the cable. Played the Eagles from their greatest hits album.
    WOW there's some low end in these speakers. The sound is well balanced at this low volume setting. Bass is all there where as the Kappa's need more volume to get the bass to sound balanced at the right level, maybe because of the sensitivity difference.
    Very articulate and clear with no sibilance I can detect. These are all original with the SL2000 tweets. Definitely not as bright as the Kappa 9's... the Kappa's could be harsh very easily depending on the recording & material. Polk's are little more laid back in the upper frequencies.

Turned everything off and hooked up the SDA cable... same songs at same volume.
    My word did the soundstage expand. There's quite a large difference between the two hookups. It's like hearing the band on stage and not through speakers, a wall of sound where I could pick out positions of instruments and where the singer's standing.
    Truly amazed at this first short session with the soundstage being produced.
    Very very nice.

There's a wall about 3' to the left of the left speaker. This makes the left channel a tad louder. Was an easy fix with a little less input on the left channel of the amp to balance it.

For this first listen the inputs on the Phase Linear were at 8 0'clock. Tonight we'll be cranking them up a tad to see what these babies can do.
    Just giving them a little time to settle in.

Once they're in their permanent position I'll add the other Phase Linear to to bi-amp.

These may have to go into the basement where there's a larger room.

This is gonna be fun...

• pitdogg2
    Once they're in their permanent position I'll add the other Phase Linear to to bi-amp.
    They're your speakers to do whatever you want with. That being said tweeters do not need gobs of power not to mention being first gen SRS (correct me if I'm wrong) they may not like it one bit. You'll need a dreadnought and later generations of SDA's to bi-amp or use a non-common ground amp.

Be careful
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I think you'd want the baffle face of them at least on edge of chimney base.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.