SDA SRS new to me

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Lock washers and lock nuts are your friend.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    ^ Hey xschop,
    I'm still at this point... https://youtube.com/shorts/Uzc6XLmM5Mc?feature=share

Ah no rush, thought I missed somethin'

Step #1... Crack a cold one
    Step #2... Plug in hot soldering iron
    Step #3... Don't slip
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    ^ Bahahaaaaa…
    That’s how we operate at our house.

The wife came back from the gym this morning and said she wants to listen to Supertramp “Crime of the Century” while we prep & cook supper.
    Perfect time to crack several frosty beverages and enjoy some tunes 😬
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Couple of questions....

Room Damping; How many have done damping of their rooms with their SDA speakers?
    Is damping the room with SDA's beneficial, not needed or detrimental?

Second question is bi-amping; When bi-amping the SDA SRS speakers I can go both ways, vertical or horizontal. I didn't see anything in my manual covering vertical.
    If going vertical, would the amps see a difference of potential from the SDA cable, does the left & right channel separation in the transformer take care of that?
    I see no issue with horizontal but, before attempting this (vertical) as a see if it works experiment and report what I found, I thought some more electrically knowledgable people's thoughts are warranted.
    Amps are identical solid state and are common ground.

Appreciate any thoughts....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    I recommend bi-amping. One for the left speaker and one for the right.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    If these are the blade/blade SDA's, I don't think you can use them in a vertical bi-amp configuration, it would be like monoblocks.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Yes, they are blade/blade.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Well you should just stick with a good high amperage stereo amp. I have one I'll sell you... :)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I don't think you'll find anyone who has heard my SDA and non-SDA rigs with Mills that will say there's anything veiled about the sound.

That said, I am not in the ultra detailed camp. I much prefer a pleasant musical sound, one that sounds like live music. Of course, upstream gear, cables, etc. absolutely play a part in what reaches your ears.

Not veiled at all.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Well you should just stick with a good high amperage stereo amp. I have one I'll sell you... :)

Thank you for the offer, pass.
    Speaking of... these amps have the 💪🏼 of a Tugboat & the speed of a Donz.
    Nothing succeeds like excess.

Mr. Polk designed bi-amping capabilities into the SDA SRS' as a way for us to to eek out a little more performance by way of exploring the limits.
    Only thing is, sure as hell don't want to ruin gear if vertical bi-amping has a remote possibility of damage to the amps/speakers 🤯.

I see no reason why tying the two amps together with a ground strap wouldn't work electrically but, I only climbed poles for a living, never had nor have the knowledge to design what I worked on.
    Once the SDA Cable is inserted to vertical bi-amp Gen3 Blade/Blade SDA SRS'...... way above this pole climber's comprehension.

As there's a concern in my grey matter, without knowing why, maybe that's the first indication that blade/blade can't be done vertical?
    As others have mentioned with the AI-1/Dreadnaught for the Gen 4 & 5 SDA SRS' (Blade/Pin) to address the Gen 3's limitations, more searching is needed along with asking the right questions.

That flippin' little red guy on my left shoulder whispering in my ear....
    "You know the one, Dr. Everything'll Be Alright".

If no results of vertical bi-amping are 100% cool with the SDA cable blade/blade's I'll go horizontal.
    More research & searches... 🍺

Nothing succeeds like excess.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Think about it, vertical bi-amp configuration would be like a separate amp for each speaker, horizontal would not be like a separate amp for each speaker, because you would be powering the stereo and SDA drivers and that section of the crossover from the same amplifier. The only way I think you would gain anything from a horizontal passive bi-amp configuration is if you used two different sounding amps, one that's better at high frequency and one that's better at low frequency, but you still need to gain match the two amps. It's still a crapshoot.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    ^ Thanks invalid. From research/reads confirms your splaining, bi-amping vertical seems recommended as the better of the two when staying with the passive crossovers and not going active.

That’s what Infinity recommended (horizontal) with the 8 & 9 Kappas, tube up top and ss bottom.
    Makes my grey matter sting.

Was cranking up the Polk’s yesterday to the tune of 102db’s for a sustained amount of time.
    Amp was getting quite warm. Wasn’t running a fan for any cooling.
    No strain in highs or lows, crystal clear, but it got my attention and turned it down.
    Phase Linear amps can get very warm driving lower impedance speakers at high volumes for a long time. It’s not a power supply issue so much as it’s a lack of cooling fins in the design. Phase Linear fans installed on the sinks takes care of that.

Bi-amping with two amps should help with keeping temps down while rocking at sustained high volumes. Will have PL fans installed w/temp sensing once final setup is done.

Playing at those spl’s isn’t something I do while in the listening position, way loud too loud and hard on the ears. We’ll, maybe after a shite-pot of frosty’s 🤪.
    Play the stereo like that while outside farting’ around. So nice to hear those Polk’s while doing yard work.
    One of the fewer speakers that have the capability to do so.

More recommends appreciated as I go forward with bi-amping fun…..